Chile -8.2 Earthquake hits Chile, 5' High Tsunami Spotted

Just pulled up the USGS map and found that another big one just hit Chile… 7.8 and a 6.4. :(

It's unbelievable to me that only 6 died Tuesday. With structural damage likely in some buildings .....i hope most evacuated.

It's unbelievable to me that only 6 died Tuesday. With structural damage likely in some buildings .....i hope most evacuated.

Experts: Strict building codes saved lives in powerful Chile earthquake

(CNN) -- Strict building codes and the preparedness of millions of Chileans who live along an arc of volcanoes and fault lines likely kept the death toll -- only six by Wednesday afternoon -- low after an 8.2-magnitude earthquake rumbled offshore and prompted a tsunami, observers said.

Officials said four of those whose deaths were blamed on the quake late Tuesday that triggered landslides, power outages, and a tsunami suffered heart attacks, while two others were crushed.

read more ....... http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/02/world/americas/chile-earthquake/

Wait, :confused:

"four of the deaths were blamed on the quake,...................while two others were crushed."

IMHO, ALL 6 deaths were most likely caused from the earthquake.

Whatever, may they RIP.

:rose:
fran

Something is breaking loose, I think...in the last decade, there has been a rise in high-magnitude earthquakes, starting with Banda Ache (there was one earlier in Chile, but I forget the mag) and continuing through the Japan quake and several others that have huge magnitudes. This is in addition to lots of 6s and 7s...

No, something is indeed going on. Just what, or what are the results, time will tell...but something is definitely going on.

Best-
Herding Cats

Two more tonight? Oh my goodness.

…and another 2 at 5.6 & 5.8. The 7.Something one tonight was more inland, when compared to the 8.2. That area is really, really rolling, tonight. :(

These along this coast scare the heebie jeebies out of me.

Time to pack my bags and go inland.

…and another 2 at 5.6 & 5.8. The 7.Something one tonight was more inland, when compared to the 8.2. That area is really, really rolling, tonight. :(

Holy cow, that is nuts. Where are the one million people evacuated Tuesday night? This is horrible.

Experts: Strict building codes saved lives in powerful Chile earthquake

(CNN) -- Strict building codes and the preparedness of millions of Chileans who live along an arc of volcanoes and fault lines likely kept the death toll -- only six by Wednesday afternoon -- low after an 8.2-magnitude earthquake rumbled offshore and prompted a tsunami, observers said.

Officials said four of those whose deaths were blamed on the quake late Tuesday that triggered landslides, power outages, and a tsunami suffered heart attacks, while two others were crushed.

read more ....... http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/02/world/americas/chile-earthquake/

Wait, :confused:

"four of the deaths were blamed on the quake,...................while two others were crushed."

IMHO, ALL 6 deaths were most likely caused from the earthquake.

Whatever, may they RIP.

:rose:
fran

Very informative.
Thank you Fran!

6.1 quake just came down the pipeline for Chile. Seems that the aftershocks in the last 24 hours are a tad south of where the main 8.2 temblor took place. Either way it goes, though, Chile is still dealing with some nasty vibrations. :(

I do, too… I check it and the USGS volcano pages for Hawaii like I check weather sites. I get teased for it… my daughter thinks it is hilarious that I can't go to bed until I know how the volcanoes and tectonic plates of the world are holding up. *smh*

could you post the link you use to look at the volcano pages for Hawaii? that sounds interesting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back