Chloroform in the trunk of caseys car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I think we could find a slough of cases, besides Gacy, on crime library, for example.

I thought they only took 1 computer from the home - a laptop!!

Sources also said that one of the computers taken as evidence from the Anthony home showed that someone had been searching for information on chloroform and how to use it.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=7351737&version=12&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

There is a video/picture somewhere showing a detective/CSI walking out of the house with a desktop computer.

I think Casey googled chloroform before Caylee went missing.

I don't think she used it to clean. This is what you get when you google uses of chloroform. Not much about getting high or making babies sleep:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/chloroform
Two uses:
a toxic, carcinogenic, colorless, volatile liquid, CHCl, with a sweet taste, used as a solvent, fumigant, etc. and, formerly, as a general anesthetic
Etymology: Fr chloroforme: see chloro- & formyl
transitive verb
  1. to anesthetize with chloroform
  2. to kill with chloroform
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article615069.ece
A RADIOGRAPHER drugged his daughter with antidepressants then suffocated her with a chloroform-soaked rag in re- venge for an affair his wife was having with a part-time judge, a court was told yesterday

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/01/i/01224C4A30.html

This is a very humane way to dispatch of any living creature

this has probably been mentioned before but "FUMIGANT" stood out to me........

Took this from wikipedia if anyone needs more info on chloroform:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroform

Uses
In addition, it is used under research conditions to anesthetize mosquitoes for experiments, most frequently for the study of malaria. In film and television, it is sometimes used in a fictional manner to knock out an unsuspecting victim, leaving no trace.

[edit] As a solvent
Chloroform is a common solvent because it is relatively unreactive, miscible with most organic liquids, and conveniently volatile. Small amounts of chloroform are used as a solvent in the pharmaceutical industry and for producing dyes and pesticides. Chloroform is an effective solvent for alkaloids in their base form and thus plant material is commonly extracted with chloroform for pharmaceutical processing. For example, it is commercially used to extract morphine from poppies, scopolamine from Datura plants. Chloroform containing deuterium (heavy hydrogen), CDCl3, is a common solvent used in NMR spectroscopy. It can be used to bond pieces of acrylic glass (which is also known under the trade name 'Perspex').

Commonly used in DNA extractions and generally in conjunction with phenol to form a biolayer with extraction buffer (tris etc). DNA will form in the supernatant while protein and non soluble cell materials will precipitate between the buffer chloroform layers.

[edit] See also

Snip, snip......thanks to coltsgal for providing this article!

Here are my thoughts about the use of cloroform in the trunk and when.

I'm inclined to believe that due to the "significant" amount of chloroform that has been reported and the information quoted above, that there would have been NO insect activity in the trunk. The impound owner stated that there were flies and maggots when the trunk was opened. Wouldn't a "significant" amount of chloroform have caused the demise of these critters due to it's toxicity?

I believe that the chloroform was used to clean the trunk on July 15th. The above article also indicates that chloroform is used in laboratory's for separating DNA. If it was used at this time, that could also explain the "significant" amount that investigators found, as it didn't have much time to dissipate or evaporate.

Snip, snip......thanks to coltsgal for providing this article!

Here are my thoughts about the use of cloroform in the trunk and when.

I'm inclined to believe that due to the "significant" amount of chloroform that has been reported and the information quoted above, that there would have been NO insect activity in the trunk. The impound owner stated that there were flies and maggots when the trunk was opened. Wouldn't a "significant" amount of chloroform have caused the demise of these critters due to it's toxicity?

I believe that the chloroform was used to clean the trunk on July 15th. The above article also indicates that chloroform is used in laboratory's for separating DNA. If it was used at this time, that could also explain the "significant" amount that investigators found, as it didn't have much time to dissipate or evaporate.

I agree. I have a question. If chloroform is used to separate DNA, could someone that knew this have been using the chloroform in the trunk in attempts to remove any DNA eveidence found there?? Maybe they were thinking that it would screw the DNA evidence all up.

sorry if this has been discussed but 41 pages is too many to look through to see.

if there was a high level of chloroform in the trunk, wouldn't it have had to been put there close to the time they tested it? otherwise i would assume it would have evaporated or been at a very low level by the time they tested it. if it was being used as a cleaning agent, wouldn't one need a very good mask while doing this to keep from knocking themselves out?

could you even get in and drive it after this? wouldn't it seep into the interior of the car? i can spill gas on the outside of the car and it smells like i got it all in the interior.
Just to help in these situations, at the top of each thread is a functuion called search this thread. Often you can put in a key term and see what pops up within this thread only. Try doing a search on the word *level* and see if any results produce useful information to you.
Just my helpful hint of the day :)

I agree. I have a question. If chloroform is used to separate DNA, could someone that knew this have been using the chloroform in the trunk in attempts to remove any DNA eveidence found there?? Maybe they were thinking that it would screw the DNA evidence all up.

Yes. I believe that may have been the reason why chloroform was chosen as a cleaner. Especially if it was already at hand.

gemma, off topic for just a moment. Do you have an opinion on meth actually causing a personality disorder? I've read one or two of Casey's friends mention a recent change in her behavior.

personality disorders aren't "caused" by drugs - they are caused by one's home environment. you might be thinking of meth-induced psychosis, which is a brain chemistry issue, and mimics symptoms of schitzophrenia. I don't recall reading anything from the friends about a change in behavior. there's been no evidence to suggest her behavior of lying, stealing and otherwise deceiving everyone she knew is anything new or different than what she'd been doing since 18.

sorry if this has been discussed but 41 pages is too many to look through to see.

if there was a high level of chloroform in the trunk, wouldn't it have had to been put there close to the time they tested it? otherwise i would assume it would have evaporated or been at a very low level by the time they tested it. if it was being used as a cleaning agent, wouldn't one need a very good mask while doing this to keep from knocking themselves out?

could you even get in and drive it after this? wouldn't it seep into the interior of the car? i can spill gas on the outside of the car and it smells like i got it all in the interior.

No chloroform is substantially heavier then air. It would have pooled in the semi sealed environment of the trunk, and it would leave traces on the surfaces such as the carpet and contents. It would have do oportunity to disperse.

gemma, off topic for just a moment. Do you have an opinion on meth actually causing a personality disorder? I've read one or two of Casey's friends mention a recent change in her behavior.

Meth can cause a range of psychiatric symptoms from anxiety to hallucinations to psychosis. Often times drug users have underlying psychiatric disorders such as personality disorder which can be exacerbated by drug use. This would be highly visible with meth users because of the additional psychological effects of the drug.

As far as the meth actually causing a personality disorder, the diagnostic criteria for personality disorder excludes psychological effects from drugs. So, in my opinion, she can have personality disorder (or other condition) and be a drug user causing more extreme behavior, she can simply have a personality disorder (which she seemingly does) or was/is experiencing drug-related psychological symptoms. Any of these would account for the recent change in behavior.

personality disorders aren't "caused" by drugs - they are caused by one's home environment. you might be thinking of meth-induced psychosis, which is a brain chemistry issue, and mimics symptoms of schitzophrenia. I don't recall reading anything from the friends about a change in behavior. there's been no evidence to suggest her behavior of lying, stealing and otherwise deceiving everyone she knew is anything new or different than what she'd been doing since 18.

I think the debate is still out on nature vs nurture.

As the science of looking into brains improves, experts are saying brains of the mentally ill and those with disorders including ADD and personality disorders are different.

It is not an excuse. People with personality disorders still choose their behavior. Although when the parts of your brain that control things like impulse and empathy are impaired making the right choice might be harder.

Scientifically, you can't put all the blame on the environment either.

There is a lot online about brains of people who do horrendous things but that can disguise themselves by being seemingly normal and loving.

Here's one about serial killers: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/tick/victims_1.html

IMO

I think the chloroform was used for the most obvious thing, to kill little Caylee, a non-violent way to commit murder.

I am curious if chloroform evaporates or disappears when aired. The car was aired by G & C the time it was at the A home until LE took it in.

While doing an on line search for chloroform I found an article about Horace Wells (an early pioneer in the use of anaesthesia in dentistry):

"In January 1848, Wells self-experimented with chloroform for a week. He became addicted and increasingly deranged. One day, delirious, Wells rushed out into the street and threw sulfuric acid over the clothing of two prostitutes. He was committed to New York's infamous Tombs Prison. As the influence of the drug waned, Wells' mind started to clear. In despair, he realised the horror of what he had done...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB