Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeppers, good call. I thought the map looked familiar so I looked back through the older articles recently posted by Paper. Here is a very similar map, that does place the stop sign/subway attack at the corner of Gugeri and Stirling Rd. (just west of the Conti, not east).
Wow. I previously lent towards the Graylands Rd Subway but now lean heavily towards Stirling Rd Subway. Still not 100% confirmed as we know there has been a lot of mistakes in the reporting of this case.

Here's the location;

claremont subway attempted abduction.jpg

I don't believe anything major has changed. That island with the big tree in it did have a bordering retaining walls and more vegetation within but by no means private. What de we suppose this guy was going to do? He would have had to have left her car in the middle of the road unattended with the engine on and maybe door open. There's a good chance he had his car parked in the business premises to the left and planned to whisk her away.

Very brazen. There's a high chance this is the guy.

Question; why so brazen? Still working out his abduction MO? Or was he kitted out for the big one and he couldn't find any girls walking past?

I know this has been posted previously but I just wanted everyone to be aware if some has not seen it. It is Brett Christian's own personal recollection of reporting the Karakatta rape.

(6PR) "She made it as far as the Showgrounds subway and a man grabbed her, put something over her head, tied her, up - she said with telephone cable - and bundled her into the back of what she said was a commercial vehicle, and drove her deep into the cemetery, where she was sexually assaulted."She told police she didn't see the man, didn't have a description of him and was let go, with no clothes, and ran to Hollywood Hospital, which was on the other side of the cemetery.
"They now know that the person who committed that sexual assault is the Claremont serial killer and if they solve that earlier crime, they will have solved the other three."
"I understand they don't know [who it is yet] but they've looked damn hard and long and they've re-tested, re-interviewed literally thousands of people since they made that link and of course gone into databases and turned over every rock they can think of."
I take it this was in the last few days?

At the 38 second mark MM appears out of a doorway & looks for chicks left & right & goes back inside again. I can understand that style of looking out. Now at 45 secs MM is chatting to a blond near the stairs. This is big news for the media in the next 2 days.I will take pics of the footage in case it disappears, lol. I have never been up the stairs there.
I think the hair is different on the guy who pokes his head out.

It will be interesting if the media pick this up and run anything. It's an opportunity for media to ask WAPOL if there is anything in it, and if that is MM then they must have know who he is, so why the story in 2008, was there an ulterior motive? The problem being, any journo asking that question will be maligned by police.

I lean towards the guy inside talking to the blonde not being MM.

Which goes to show, if police really wanted an ID on MM, why not release all available footage?

Are we now to believe we have the only two shots of MM? Or is there additional, unreleased footage of MM?
They also had footage of the drive through bottle shop out the back. So 4 cameras at least. I wonder if the bottle shop camera got a view of Gugeri St and MM walking past?

More important to the amount of footage published is why WAPOL didn't clean it up a lot more. I've always felt MM was an excuse to get Judo's mug on TV.

I lean toward the guy talking to the blonde as being MM...

So the blonde on the right is chatting to the lady to the left by the hand rail. While MM takes a pic on a Kodak film camera of them both. Nothing in this folks...

I watched the timestamp closely in the poor quality 1:08 video and although the time showing, when MM? is shown by the staircase, is near impossible to see it does appear to follow in sequence as the time progresses and I think it's most likely 00:02:02 when the guy appears on cctv inside the hotel by staircase?. (open to correction :) )IF he is MM he could have gone into the hotel via the entrance by staircase after a brief conversation with Jane. Jane's movements could have been observed from inside the hotel through the glass panels on the doors as well I guess.

As far as I can ascertain watching the CIA video:

MM approaches Jane at 00:01:41

28 seconds later camera pans back showing Jane standing alone - MM gone.

Last image of Jane as she looks at her watch 00:03:59 - 00:04:04

28 seconds later camera pans back to area where Jane was standing - she is no longer there.

Chronology of attacks

Swanbourne Railway - January 01, 1993 (Friday)
Two girls raped adjacent to Swanbourne Railway Station. Girls had been to Club Bayview. (papertrail)

Stop sign/Subway - January 01, 1994 (Saturday)
A man dragged a woman from her car after she had left Club Bay View. He tried to rape her, but she fought him off. (1)
A woman fights off man who dragged her from her car and tried to rape her near Claremont subway. (8)
A girl was waiting at the stop sign at the Claremont subway, was pulled from her vehicle and survived an attempted rape. (papertrail)
Most likely this happened at the lights on Gugeri St/Stirling Rd

Princess Rd - October 31, 1994 (Monday)
A 31-year-old woman got into a taxi near the club. A man hiding in the back seat grabbed her, but she jumped from the car, breaking a leg. (1)
A 31-year-old woman breaks her ankle when she leaps from a speeding taxi on Princess Rd, after the driver and another man try to attack her. (8)
Attack occurred on Princess Rd, St. Claremont (papertrail)

Karrakatta - February 12, 1995 (Sunday)
A girl, 17, was abducted at Rowe Park, tied with an electrical cord, raped and left for dead at Karrakatta Cemetery. She had been abducted walking home from the club. (1)
Teenager abducted, tied with electrical flex and raped in Karrakatta Cemetary (8)
Assailant driving a light-coloured panel van (12)

Golf Course - 1995
In 1995 a young woman got into a taxi in Claremont and the driver drove her to the other side of the railway line to the golf course. Forcibly stripped of her clothes, she managed to escape, banging on the door of a nearby house and screaming for the couple who lived there to let her in. Completely traumatised, it took an hour for her to finally splutter out what had happened. (11)

Sarah Spiers - January 27, 1996 (Saturday)
Sarah Spiers disappears from Stirling Rd. and Stirling Hwy. after leaving Club Bay View(8)

Church Lane - March 03, 1996 (Sunday)
A 21-year-old woman was indecently assaulted in a lane behind Club Bay View, which she had left about 2am. Her head was bashed six times against a brick wall and her skirt ripped off. (1)
A 21-year-old woman was bashed and indecently assaulted on Church Lane behind Club Bay View. (8)

Jane Rimmer - June 09, 1996 (Sunday)
Jane Rimmer is last seen by four friends outside the Conti. Her body is later found south of Perth. (8)

Ciara Glennon - March 14, 1997 (Friday)
Ciara Glennon disappears after drinking with friends at the Conti. Her body is found north of Perth. (8)

They also had footage of the drive through bottle shop out the back. So 4 cameras at least. I wonder if the bottle shop camera got a view of Gugeri St and MM walking past?

More important to the amount of footage published is why WAPOL didn't clean it up a lot more. I've always felt MM was an excuse to get Judo's mug on TV.

BBM. Maybe they don't know about Gimp? ;)
(As detailed in Post #31)

Wow. I previously lent towards the Graylands Rd Subway but now lean heavily towards Stirling Rd Subway. Still not 100% confirmed as we know there has been a lot of mistakes in the reporting of this case.

Here's the location;

View attachment 84084

RSBM. Is this ^^ the intersection of Gugeri and Stirling Rd., located at #6 in the West Australian map (white arrow points to the word SUBWAY)?:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447155226.974541.jpg

I watched the timestamp closely in the poor quality 1:08 video and although the time showing, when MM? is shown by the staircase, is near impossible to see it does appear to follow in sequence as the time progresses and I think it's most likely 00:02:02 when the guy appears on cctv inside the hotel by staircase?. (open to correction :) )IF he is MM he could have gone into the hotel via the entrance by staircase after a brief conversation with Jane. Jane's movements could have been observed from inside the hotel through the glass panels on the doors as well I guess.

As far as I can ascertain watching the CIA video:

MM approaches Jane at 00:01:41

28 seconds later camera pans back showing Jane standing alone - MM gone.

Last image of Jane as she looks at her watch 00:03:59 - 00:04:04

28 seconds later camera pans back to area where Jane was standing - she is no longer there.

I definitely cannot tell the timestamps better than you, but I made a 'timeline' based on Parkie's suggestion that the guy who looks out the doorway is MM. The timestamp on the doorway scene is 00:02:28 and it happens before the stairway shot. At least that's to the best of my judgement, I could be mis-seeing things.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447155706.135427.jpg

I know this has been posted previously but I just wanted everyone to be aware if some has not seen it. It is Brett Christian's own personal recollection of reporting the Karakatta rape...

RSBM. Here is a link to Bret's account:
http://m.watoday.com.au/wa-news/cla...vestigate-1995-rape-lead-20151016-gkaq8i.html

Bret describes a commercial van as opposed to a panel van.

A poster on BF (88mph on 10/22/15) said there was a news report that said the CSK had driven the Katrakatta survivor to a nearby carpark and she ran to Hollywood Hospital from there.

I am inclined to believe Bret, but I wonder where and when he got his info (was it soon after the rape or is he using more current info).

...I've always felt MM was an excuse to get Judo's mug on TV.

Sorry to make so many consecutive posts.

RSBM. At 46:45 in the CIA docu, Steve Liebman (host) says,

"One of the first tasks of the Claremont investigation was to try to establish what type of person could have picked up Sarah and Jane. While it's possible they were forced into a vehicle, police suspect it's more likely they went willingly with someone they knew, or at least felt they could trust."

Curious only Sarah and Jane are mentioned.

I am not sure police were correct (especially considering the Ghost videos and the Karrakatta connections), but there are many directed things about the docu.

RSBM. Here is a link to Bret's account:
http://m.watoday.com.au/wa-news/cla...vestigate-1995-rape-lead-20151016-gkaq8i.html

Bret describes a commercial van as opposed to a panel van.

A poster on BF (88mph on 10/22/15) said there was a news report that said the CSK had driven the Katrakatta survivor to a nearby carpark and she ran to Hollywood Hospital from there.

I am inclined to believe Bret, but I wonder where and when he got his info (was it soon after the rape or is he using more current info).

Sutton beat me to it, Bartholemeus. I went to Hollywood Primary just next door to Hollywood Private. In 1995, the frontage of the Hollywood Private Hospital was getting major works and not accessible at all.

The entry to the hospital would have been further East along Monash Ave or at the rear service entrance on the Verdun side. That is a fair way away from the cemetery. The CSK driving the victim to a location close by makes a lot of sense, especially seeing as the Eastern exit of the cemetery is just near Verdun.

BBM. Maybe they don't know about Gimp? ;)
(As detailed in Post #31)

If some free online software can clean it up then WAPOl would have had access to technology to clean it up. They chose not to. To protect the identities of other people in the video I'm sure they could have cleaned up the footage around MM and left the other people blurry.

Sutton said:
RSBM. Is this ^^ the intersection of Gugeri and Stirling Rd., located at #6 in the West Australian map (white arrow points to the word SUBWAY)?:

Yep. Turn right at those lights and it goes under the subway. Go straight ahead and Gugeri St turns into Barnfield Rd.

good job whoever enhanced that footage.

the thing is, you've enhanced the image where it's just the back of his head.

if you are able to do it one second later there are moments where his face is actually side on when talking to JR as he's extending his arms.

maybe you can also enhance that still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member