Classmates, Friends and Neighbors

I was wondering did Melissa have any boyfriends or crushes when you knew her? It hasn't been mentioned, so I also wanted to ask if Melissa met Johnny Huckaby when she was in high school or if you knew him as well.

We were definitely friends during a boy crazy part of our lives. Man the trouble (silly, innocent trouble) we got into trying to get attention from boys! Those memories make me smile. We went to prom together with our boyfriends. We got in fights over boys. We made up over co-hating boys. It all seems so silly now but I remember how intense everything was at that age. I was glad to have a best friend to share all of that with.

I never met her ex-husband. He did not go to our high school.

its quite possible for a person to have a normal growing up and then after they have a child or reach adulthood for chemical imbalances and i'll call short circuits to happen. our bodies change every so many years and not all the changes are good.

I spent very little time at her house. In all the time we were friends I can probably count the number of times I actually hung out there on one hand. She definitely did not get along with her parents. I can't say how much of that was normal teen/parent drama or how much was truly unhealthy. She did not like being there at all though. I don't remember feeling afraid of her parents but I do remember feeling like I wanted to save her and ask her to come live with me at times. Her brothers were cute and the couple times I met them they seemed very normal. There was also another little girl who lived with them. I can't remember if she was adopted or they were fostering her but they got her as a baby during the time I was friends with her and she was still there being raised by them when we lost contact.

Do you think your feeling of wanting to save MH resulted from some subconcious instinct that all was not right in the home? I'm sure you are reeling now with the latest news about potential charges so you may not be up to posting but if you are, would you be able to say why you stopped being friends after high school? Also, I think you mentioned at some point that MH was sometimes "volatile" when you knew her. Can you give an example? Thanks for posting and take care.

(((((emmabella))))) Hugs to you emma! The news of today is probably going to be hard for you. It is hard for everyone, and none of this could have been prevented by you. You are providing a great service by sharing your insight into a person that is accused of this horrible crime. For your sharing.......all of humanity is thankful. I firmly believe that as a society, we will never be able to control this type of tragic event unless we understand it. This is where your input is enormously helpful, emma. Thanks again, and let us know if you need a boost of moral support. As crodigy (is that even a word???) as we can sometimes be, the members of WS's are a remarkable group of caring, and knowledgable people.

Here's a link to a CNN article that quotes a friend of MH from high school who was on the dance team with her:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/13/california.slain.girl.suspect/index.html

I saw that too, and wondered if it was our new WS friend. :) As long as they are willing I'm glad people from Melissa's past are stepping forward to offer information. I'm sure much can be learned from this, and hopefully it will lead to some prevention and treatment beforehand, as well as criminal profiling in the sad cases it isn't prevented. Thank you to everyone bold enough to speak out and offer insight.

:beats: And here's another THANK YOU to all who have shared with us... I know this is a difficult time, I hope that coming here has helped you as well! :beats:

Reanne: crodigy? :laughbig:

Here's a video from GMA this morning with MH's best friend in high school speaking out:

http://abcnews.go.com/gma

She is very upset. Hang in there Emily!

My heart is breaking for her. I hope she isn't blaming herself like it sounds. She can't be responsible for the actions of someone she lost touch with years ago. Melissa has caused such heartache for so many people. I pray God will comfort them and help them through this time.

My heart is breaking for her. I hope she isn't blaming herself like it sounds. She can't be responsible for the actions of someone she lost touch with years ago. Melissa has caused such heartache for so many people. I pray God will comfort them and help them through this time.

Yes, it sounds like she is blaming herself......for not at least making a call to see how Melissa was doing.

To be honest, though, if a person is 'so far gone' as Melissa appears to be....how much difference would ONE phone call make, anyway?

Oh, Emmabella!!! This is sort of like being exposed to suicide, and wondering what, if anything, you could have done. The answer: nothing - unless you were with that person at the very moment they committed the act. I have personal experience with this. I had a very good friend who wanted me to leave with him from a party one night. I was at the party with my boyfriend, who has now been my husband of MANY years. I told my other friend that wanted me to leave with him, (who was having problems with his wife), that I could not leave with him. He left and shortly thereafter, killed himself. I felt horrible, and blamed myself for a long time. Since then, I have come to realize that even if I had gone with him, it would not necessarily have changed the final outcome. Ultimately, you cannot control other people. Melissa had a large family that saw her daily, and they did not even notice that something was wrong. Hang tough Emma. This case and the pain it is causing many, many, people outside of the immediate families that are involved, is a great example of how sin and evil have a ripple affect throughout society. Emma, you are a wonderful person, and your insight can help all of us who are now hurting cope with this. We will probably never understand what happened......but we will always try to understand. Your insight into Melissa'a past is very valuable to society.....please keep helping us, and we will most definitely be there for you.

Yes, it sounds like she is blaming herself......for not at least making a call to see how Melissa was doing.

To be honest, though, if a person is 'so far gone' as Melissa appears to be....how much difference would ONE phone call make, anyway?

Little, to none. More than likely MH would have told her everything was fine.

Wonder how she accepted and treated the younger adopted little girl (in secret)and the age difference.
The article says MH was like a mother to the little girl.

Wonder how she accepted and treated the younger adopted little girl (in secret)and the age difference.
The article says MH was like a mother to the little girl.

I missed the part about the article saying Melissa was like a mother to the little girl that was adopted by her parents. It says she was like a mother to her friend in High School - Emily (who has been a poster here). I still want to see an article that says what happened to that adopted daughter.

Interesting article from The Orange County Register

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/huckaby-school-melissa-2368620-finn-family

Before moving to Tracy, Huckaby rented a room for a few months in a four-bedroom house in La Palma in 2007.
"She was very nice ... very cordial," said Evelyn Lloyd, her housemate who lived at the house for about 12 years. "Every girl who ended up in (that) house had a story. She (Huckaby) really didn't have a story. She was very secretive."
At first, Lloyd said she "never detected any depression or craziness or any violent behavior."
But then, in 2007, two fires were set at the house just eight days apart. Lloyd was arrested in the first fire on July 20, but the case against her was dismissed. Lloyd said Huckaby might have set her up.
Huckaby and her daughter were at the house when the second fire broke out, on July 28, said La Palma Police Chief Edward Ethell. Everyone who lived at the house, including Huckaby, was questioned about the fire.
Huckaby was considered a "person of interest," but she was not arrested, Ethell said. La Palma police officers are sharing information about the fire case with the Tracy Police Department and the investigation is ongoing, Ethell said.

I missed the part about the article saying Melissa was like a mother to the little girl that was adopted by her parents. It says she was like a mother to her friend in High School - Emily (who has been a poster here). I still want to see an article that says what happened to that adopted daughter.

I just read, darn I'll try to find the link, on this page I do believe.
MH was a teenager when her parents adopted the little girl.

I wonder about dancing team in high school........my friend is of Baptist faith and are not suppose to dance, liten to certain music etc.......was MH faith more lenient???

To the best of my knowledge, no, she was not sexually abused. In the time I knew her she also never did drugs or alcohol that I knew of.

We were very much regular teenagers. We were both on the school dance team and spent alot of time choreographing and practicing. She dated, I have pages of letters that we wrote back and forth. Most of it is about boys and the normal teenage angst.

She was one of the funniest people I ever knew. We had tons of fun together doing normal teenage stuff... gossiping, going to the mall, going to Disneyland, etc.

Thankyou very much Emma, this has to be hard for you.........remember the happy times.
You are very much needed to help understand what went wrong so everyone can stop this kidnap stuff.......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back