Deceased/Not Found CO - Aarone Thompson, 4, Aurora, 2003 *A. Thompson guilty*

That poor little girl! I don't understand what these parents are thinking.

Becca

Two cadaver dogs from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Texas are combing through Aarone Thompson's home, looking for her body, the Aurora police chief said Friday.

"They will only be in the state for a period of 24 hours but we also have access to them at some future time if we come up with a location where we should be looking for Aarone," said Acting Aurora Police Chief Terry Jones during a Friday afternoon press conference.

Jones said that the couple have not been named suspects because police do not have enough probable cause to make an arrest. He said that an arrest isn't imminent just yet because the homicide investigation could be a long, difficult process.

He also warned that further details in the case might not be released publicly as quickly as it has been.

"Unless something earth-shattering happens ... I think the information out at this point (forward) will be very, very limited because we're going to keep things very close to the vest because we've got a tremendous obligation in front of us and that is to bring justice for this little girl,"
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/5353284/detail.html

The mother of the missing Aaroné Thompson, who Aurora police now believe may have been dead for more than a year, said this morning that she is seeking custody of her son, who has been living in the same home as Aaroné.
Lynette Thompson is looking to hire an attorney to retrieve Aaron Jr. from the Department of Social Services, who took Aaron Thompson Jr. and six other children from the home into protective custody Thursday. The Thompson children shared the home with the children of Shely Mary Lowe, 32, the live-in girlfriend of Aaron Thompson Sr., 38.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4249343,00.html

Police gave up their desperate three-day search for missing Aaroné Thompson on Thursday, returning to the family's home at nightfall to reveal that the child may have been dead for more than a year.
No body has been found, but Interim Police Chief Terry Jones said information provided late Wednesday by someone "close to the family" led police to believe the girl, reported by her father Monday as a 6-year-old runaway, was killed, and that the family's home is a crime scene.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4248949,00.html

Timeline, father's statement to the press and the spokesman's statements
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3228976#

I wonder why in the world the person who ended up calling LE to tell them that they think this little girl has been dead for a year and a half waited until now to say something. Why didn't they call as soon as they knew something?

I hope LE can come up with evidence. It would just be a shame if there is no evidence and no one ever gets arrested. I wonder if it was the dad or the dad's girlfriend? Hopfully some of the older kids can shine some light on this little girl's death. Maybe the kids didn't tell because they were afraid the same thing would happen to them. That would be enough to put the fear of God into a kid. Glad they were taken out of the home.

The Daddy (and I use that term very loosely) keeps shouting their innocence, but when he goes to the police dept. he fails to tell police the length of time this child has been missing, and he doesn't even know the child's age! The spokesman keeps talking about what a good man he is, but he doesn't explain why the father never thought to report his 5 yr old daughter's disappearance before now! Did he not notice she was missing or what?

I wonder if the "family friend" said they were going to go to the police and thats why they reported her missing... or if they reported her missing and then the family friend came forward.

I would really like to know what the children living in the house had to say about her dissapearance when they were questioned. I mean how in the world would you explain that to your kids? Even if they asked the other kids to lie I'm sure they didn't tell them what really happened....This is so sad. A whole year (or more) this poor girl has been missing and its just now being noticed.

This whole story is so odd.

It's unbelievable this dad thought he could get away with this, with so many kids living in the house. Maybe he thought it would be as easy as when he reported an older child runaway last year - just a simple report, no follow-up by LE.

Maybe the person who reported the clue just had strong suspicions, or somehow hadn't put two and two together until they reported a child missing who they knew had been gone a year.

KatherineQ said:
Maybe the person who reported the clue just had strong suspicions, or somehow hadn't put two and two together until they reported a child missing who they knew had been gone a year.
That's what I was thinking..... HOPING happened. Maybe they always suspected but the family always had excuses for her where abouts.

Police impound vehicles at home of missing girl

11/20/2005
The Associated Press

AURORA, Colo. (AP) — Police continued the search Saturday for any evidence in the possible death of 6-year-old Aarone Thompson, carting bags of evidence and even cars from the residence.

The girl was reported missing Monday by her father Aaron Thompson, but after three days of looking for her the search turned into a homicide investigation. No arrests have been made.

Thompson and his girlfriend Shely Lowe, both considered "persons of interest" by the police, have denied requests to speak with investigators, Aurora police spokesman Rudy Herrera said.

Attorney Leta Holden, who represents the family, has said family members told her each of them has submitted DNA samples and fingerprints.

Police called off the search after someone close to the family gave them a tip that Aarone might have been killed as long as 18 months ago.

Police aren't sure what spurred the missing person report earlier this week.

Aarone's mother, who lives in a homeless shelter in Detroit, told Denver's KCNC-TV she heard from a family friend that her daughter's paternal grandmother was coming from Michigan for a Thanksgiving visit.

"It got back to me that she was coming to see her grandchildren. With his mama on the way there, she's going to want to know where her grandbaby's at, especially when she's got a lot of gifts and stuff to give her," Lynette Thompson told the station.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/in...st=newsmichigan

Well that answers that - that's why they suddenly made up the story about Aarone being missing. Because grandma was coming to visit and they'd have to explain it somehow.

One article stated another grandmother (maybe the same one?) had spoken to Aarone on the phone last Christmas, so it looks like she was still alive a year ago.

Such a sad story.

AURORA, Colo. — Police continued the search Saturday for any evidence in the possible death of 6-year-old Aarone Thompson, carting bags of evidence and even cars from the residence.

The girl was reported missing on Monday by her father Aaron Thompson, but after three days of looking for her the search turned into a homicide investigation. No arrests have been made.

Thompson and his girlfriend Shely Lowe, both considered "persons of interest" by the police, have denied requests to speak with investigators, Aurora police spokesman Rudy Herrera said.

Attorney Leta Holden, who represents the family, has said that the family told her each member of the family has submitted DNA samples and fingerprints.

Police called off the search after someone close to the family gave them a tip that Aarone might have been killed as long as 18 months ago.

Police aren't sure what spurred the missing person report earlier this week.

Aarone Thompson's mother, who lives in a homeless shelter in Detroit, told Denver's KCNC-TV she heard from a family friend that her daughter's paternal grandmother was coming from Michigan for a Thanksgiving visit.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,176152,00.html

Beyond Belief said:
Wasn't the school wondering where Aarone was?

Casshew said:
Wasn't the school wondering where Aarone was?
If she was killed 18 months ago, perhaps she was never enrolled in school.

I don't think she was. I thought they were muttering something about trying to get her enrolled.

Aaroné Thompson's suspected murder, on an unknown day under mysterious circumstances, may be just one more example of an alarming pattern: the younger the child, the more likely he or she will become a homicide victim.

The youngest victims frequently are killed in the secrecy of their own home and at the hands of a loved one, national statistics show.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3235494

Mildred Johnson lives in the land of in- betweens.

Since she found out Tuesday that her granddaughter Aaroné Thompson is missing in Aurora, Johnson is caught between anger and confusion, living in the half-light of her home. Though she is there, she doesn't come to the door. Though she can hear it, she doesn't answer the ringing telephone.

Until she knows whether her 6-year-old granddaughter is alive or dead, she is trapped, not knowing whether to worry or to grieve.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3235548

LE isn't going to get much out of the dad. They need to focus on interviewing the kids. I'm sure they were terrified the same thing might happen to them if they told someone their sister has been dead for 18 months. The parents probably threatened them not to tell and now they are away from the home, they will probably be relieved to tell someone

I heard on one of the news shows that LE have talked to the children and they verify that the little girl hasn't been in the home for some time. I don't have a link because it was on TV. Can't remember which show.

One article stated another grandmother (maybe the same one?) had spoken to Aarone on the phone last Christmas, so it looks like she was still alive a year ago.
How do they know for sure it was Arrone? My two girls are 14 and 9, but they are always being mistaken for one another on the phone. Maybe another sibling pretended to be Arrone at the parents' insistence.

Mr. E said:
How do they know for sure it was Arrone? My two girls are 14 and 9, but they are always being mistaken for one another on the phone. Maybe another sibling pretended to be Arrone at the parents' insistence.
I wonder how much the other kids knew. They may have been told that Arrone's mom had her - I doubt if the kids knew that she was homeless and hadn't seen or talked to Arrone in years.

Last night I watched an MSNBC Investigates episode, called the Silent Twin. A mother had four children - a teenaged son, twins (boy and girl), and a younger daughter. At some point, the twin girl was killed by the mother and the oldest son, wrapped in plastic, put in a footlocker, and locked away in a bedroom closet. The twin boy and his younger sister grew up not remembering his twin sister. The mother continued receiving government checks for the dead girl. Eventually, someone mentioned to the boy that he used to have a twin sister. He asked his mother about it, and she refused to answer him. He didn't pursue it further because his mother was physically abusive and he didn't want to provoke her.

Once he was an adult, he and his sister started asking questions. He went to the police and reported to them that his twin sister had disappeared many years ago. The police at first thought he was making it up, but as they began investigating, they came to believe him. They went to the apartment where his mother still resided, and found the mummified remains of a little girl in the footlocker.

I'm posting this because it shows that sometimes the children in a family don't always know what is going on, or may be afraid to provoke a physically abusive parent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalKnowledge
Back