CO CO - Dammion Heard, 20, Gunnison, 30 March 2014

Those Saturn keys found under his seat in his car.
I wonder who wasn't able to drive their car, enter a residence, possibly unlock a p.o. box, storage shed, gun locker, etc,etc for a while?
And if they were found in his car, why is "his" property being denied to his parents?

After reading the CBS writeup, I see that a box containing evidence has been returned to Gary and has remained unopened for fear of contaminating evidence in case they decide to reopen the case later on.
I wonder if those keys are in there?

Also, none of the CBS articles mentioned a set of Saturn keys that did not belong to damming suv?

Reminds me somewhat of this case:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?129442-MD-Keith-Warren-19-Silver-Springs-1986-mysterious-hanging-death/page8

Although in Dammion's case, IMO, suicide seems slightly more viable. With sympathy and apologies to the family, I think in large part Mr. Heard is taking things selectively and out of context and without a LE or legal background--doesn't mean my hinky meter isn't going off, I just don't think they are doing themselves any favors because they are starting to sound more irrational and that never helps. Not that I wouldn't too in the same situation, just not sure it's helpful to the public. ie. He released their autopsy report--which is not any more independent than the police's, IMO, nor is their PI---all sides have their own agenda, whatever it may be---and it is clear the fluids tested were obtained after Dammion had been embalmed (at least). It does not surprise me then that the tests results are negative and differ from the official autopsy report.

I also think the cops sound defensive, which also never helps, but I don't know that that means anything except we all hate criticism of our work, especially vocal and public criticism. Could be more, may not be. (BTW, per the Wayback Machine, the Western State faculty hasn't changed their page in years, so it appears he was never on the staff and that was only a rumor in the comments of one article.)

Having children that age, I know how quickly their moods go from top to bottom to top and how incredibly impetuous they remain even in their early 20's. IMO, they do stupid things all the time, in a huff, in a mood, in a fight etc. Mortality is still not a concept they really understand. They never see the long-term picture in those moments. Add alcohol and LSD to the mix, along with a temper that can flare at others or self and I can, unfortunately see ANY young adult doing something in a quick minute with forever consequences they didn't think through AT ALL.

Of course all the friends are lying--they were underage at a party with drugs and alcohol and every young adult I've ever met--even the saintly ones--have a strong sense of self-preservation and lying would be very natural, IMO. Again, could mean they are hiding something big, could mean they are like pretty much all kids that age and extremely distrustful of cops and adults both and always fearful of getting busted.

I had followed this case at the beginning and thought for sure there was a cover-up afoot. Reading the CBS articles, even though they raise questions, I feel like those reporters and now myself believe it could be either in the end.

The articles did raise two thoughts I hadn't previously had----(1) his pants were unzipped---auto-erotic asphyxiation a possibility? Of course, could be several other reasons as well and (2) the CBS articles surely imply quite heavily that he was a "playa" and hooked up with lots of girls....with a long blonde hair in his hand, as well, could a girl have wanted some revenge or been jealous? Agreed to meet up with him there etc etc...He was clearly putting out a "booty call" to several young women late in that evening, so......last one on the booty call list is never happy about being last, I would guess?

Having the old roomie's sweatshirt on doesn't bother me at all. My kids all swap clothes with their friends. If they were spending the night somewhere and wanted to go out and do something and it had gotten colder--the first thing they'd do is just grab their friend's coat, jacket, hoodie, whatever. All the reports say he was in that roomie's room, so it makes total sense to me. I also think I agree with the cop on the hair as a result--knowing how slobby college kids (especially boys!) can be, that could be a hair from a girl that disappeared from their lives 6 months earlier. No way the hair can be made meaningful in court as such--even in his hand--it's easy to believe he got it there when he put up the hood.

Final thought--I don't think Mr. Heard is doing himself any favors with taking and keeping the evidence box. Even unopened, sitting in a body shop/garage is not secure and any defense attorney in the world, even the worst one, could claim it all got contaminated somehow, even if still has police tape etc on it. IMO, he should open it, give it to his PI or someone else to take a new look with fresh/unjaded/unconvinced eyes and use it to find the answers...if they are out there for finding.

All JMOO!!

Excerpt from article:
"The City Council of the City of Gunnison, Colorado, took Mr. Heard’s October 20, 2015 request for an investigation into the actions of its police department under consideration at a regular session of the City Council held on October 27, 2015. The City Council respectfully declined the request for any further investigation of its police department, and directed City Staff to provide its response through this letter."

The odd thing about this case is that he was found 8 miles outside of city limits, yet the Gunnison County Sheriffs department immediately handed this case over to the Gunnison police department.

I'm listening to the podcast Final Days on Earth by Claire St Amant and one thing struck me regarding the eye witness account from Linda Nienhueser.

Linda told police that on Sunday March 30th 2014 she was hiking through the Cabin Creek area. As she returned to her truck which was parked near a gate that was closed at the beginning of the trail, she saw someone standing on a ridge with their feet in an odd position (which is now believed to be Dammion's body hanging from the tree branch). She also saw a second person, crouching down close to Dammion and apparently looking towards her through binoculars.

Dammion's father has always maintained that this shows that someone was there with Dammion (and hence may have had something to do with his death) and they may also have brought a bright orange sleeping bag back after Linda saw them, as it was found close to his body. Linda never mentioned any bright colors seen near the scene, so Dammion's father believes this means someone returned to the scene after Linda saw them on the Sunday, and before police found Dammion deceased on Wed Apr 2nd 2014.

However, when you see the photos taken by police when Dammion's body was discovered (link is here, scroll down the bottom to see photos from 4/2/2014), it's difficult to see the tree and ridge from the gate location that Linda was apparently near. She likely wouldn't have seen much at ground level next to Dammion anyway, and I can see how with a couple of quick glances (her words) that she could easily have mistaken a branch, bush or rock formation for a second person.

I am leaning towards suicide for all the reasons given in chinacat67's post as well. JMO of course!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KhaosDisciple
Back