Identified! CO - Golden, WhtMale Skel UP10876, 21-57, Dec'12 - Lorne Mabbutt

DNA tests aren't back yet, but as of April 20, the skeleton was listed as a white male between 21 and 57 years old, around 64 inches tall with brown hair.

Also clothing on the body: navy blue shorts with two horizontal white stripes on front of right leg, unknown brand, X-L size.

Also some information on items found near the skeleton.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/full_report/10876

I have two possible matches for this Doe, neither of which I'm 100% on. Could use some insight!

#1 Terry LeMay. Missing since 11/6/12: https://www.colorado.gov/apps/coldcase/casedetail.html?id=5363

He was an avid hiker/rock climber, according to his Facebook and LinkedIn profiles. Lived in the area. Fits the general demographic.

Downside: His car was found abandoned about an hour's drive away from Red Rocks, so he would have had to have gotten a ride there. Also, not sure what the weather was like in CO in early November, but the Doe was found in shorts.

#2 Lorne Mabbutt. Last seen 10/2/05.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/19189

Fits the general profile. Van found abandoned in Red Rocks parking lot.

Thoughts?

I have two possible matches for this Doe, neither of which I'm 100% on. Could use some insight!

#1 Terry LeMay. Missing since 11/6/12: https://www.colorado.gov/apps/coldcase/casedetail.html?id=5363

He was an avid hiker/rock climber, according to his Facebook and LinkedIn profiles. Lived in the area. Fits the general demographic.

Downside: His car was found abandoned about an hour's drive away from Red Rocks, so he would have had to have gotten a ride there. Also, not sure what the weather was like in CO in early November, but the Doe was found in shorts.

Thoughts?

Lorne seems way too tall. 72 inches = 6 feet. This JD was much shorter at 5'4. That's an 8 inch difference!

Mabutt looks like a real possibility.

I thought so too, but Mandidq makes a good point about the height. I know height can and has been off in other cases (and I actually don't think this Doe was only 5'4" when alive—that's awfully short), but could it be off by this much?

Thoughts?

Wow. It's interesting that Mabbutt's van was found abandoned in the Red Rocks parking lot. There isn't much out there about his disappearance, but in this article: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/van-abandoned-at-red-rocks-man-missing, they mention that his van contained some of his personal items. On NamUs, they mention that a cell phone was found near the body; I wonder if Mabbutt's phone was among the personal items found in his van...Just thinking out loud!

Yes; also, the Doe was wearing shorts and a sandal was found nearby (although it may not belong to him). The description of Mabbutt's disappearance mentions that he told a friend he was just going to the store and he was spotted buying gas. Sounds like something you'd just throw on those shorts (sound like gym shorts) and sandals for. I looked at the photos of the area that someone here posted earlier and am not sure whether someone would be able to 1) hike it in sandals if they were not Tevas or such or 2) lug a dead body up there, assuming he didn't die accidentally.

Until I saw Mabbutt's profile, I was really leaning toward Terry Lemay, especially because he liked hiking and rock climbing (you can view photos of him on a climb on his Facebook page). But I can't reconcile how he would have gotten there from where his car was found in Sedalia.

I thought so too, but Mandidq makes a good point about the height. I know height can and has been off in other cases (and I actually don't think this Doe was only 5'4" when alive—that's awfully short), but could it be off by this much?

The location and circumstances kind of trump height for me.

Yes; also, the Doe was wearing shorts and a sandal was found nearby (although it may not belong to him). The description of Mabbutt's disappearance mentions that he told a friend he was just going to the store and he was spotted buying gas. Sounds like something you'd just throw on those shorts (sound like gym shorts) and sandals for. I looked at the photos of the area that someone here posted earlier and am not sure whether someone would be able to 1) hike it in sandals if they were not Tevas or such or 2) lug a dead body up there, assuming he didn't die accidentally.

The location makes it unlikely that someone dragged the body to where it was discovered. But it doesn't preclude homicide, the victim could have been lured to the spot and then killed.

It is more likely is that these remains belong to someone who wandered up the hill and died due to accident or natural causes. A concert goer that was stoned out of his mind might even make the climb wearing shorts and flip flops.

Mabutt looks like a real possibility.

This certainly fits the circumstances of Mabbutt's disappearance. He was said to have been using a pay phone shortly before his disappearance which indicates that he might have been meeting someone. His Van was found a short distance from where the body was found. If he was meeting someone and he not been seen since, then one could surmise the person he called and meet was the person that killed him. They probably meet and Mabbutt was probably robbed and killed. That is my guess. Considering how far he was off the trail, he was not far enough to be lost and/or injured, i believe the body was likely dragged to the spot. I think a injured hiker scenario is a very unlikely scenario. Foul play seems to be the most obvious scenario.

Physical characteristics that are similar:

1. Brown Hair
2. Same size, the John Doe is XL and Mabbutt is 6'0 185
3. The type of clothing(swatch, shorts and sandals) fits the age profile
4. From what i have read in the report, the amount of decomposition is consistent with 7 years which is how long Mabbutt has been missing.

95% sure it is Mabbutt IMO

This certainly fits the circumstances of Mabbutt's disappearance. He was said to have been using a pay phone shortly before his disappearance which indicates that he might have been meeting someone. His Van was found a short distance from where the body was found. If he was meeting someone and he not been seen since, then one could surmise the person he called and meet was the person that killed him. They probably meet and Mabbutt was probably robbed and killed. That is my guess. Considering how far he was off the trail, he was not far enough to be lost and/or injured, i believe the body was likely dragged to the spot. I think a injured hiker scenario is a very unlikely scenario. Foul play seems to be the most obvious scenario.

Physical characteristics that are similar:

1. Brown Hair
2. Same size, the John Doe is XL and Mabbutt is 6'0 185
4. From what i have read in the report, the amount of decomposition is consistent with 7 years which is how long Mabbutt has been missing.

Someone should call it in, just in case, jmo.

I have already contacted LE, they are aware of the connection. Hopefully the DNA results come back soon.

I think the height estimate is wrong. Why would someone who is 5'4'' be wearing XL size shorts? In my experience, if it offends common sense then it's usually wrong.

This certainly fits the circumstances of Mabbutt's disappearance. He was said to have been using a pay phone shortly before his disappearance which indicates that he

The only thing I worry about is I thought I read a phone was found by the body? not sure why he would use a payphone then?

The only thing I worry about is I thought I read a phone was found by the body? not sure why he would use a payphone then?

The cell phone could have died or it may have been a pay-as-you-go one and the owner had no credit for it?

The cell phone could have died or it may have been a pay-as-you-go one and the owner had no credit for it?

And although it seems like it would be the UID's phone, it's never been confirmed that those are his belongings, I think.

I think the height estimate is wrong. Why would someone who is 5'4'' be wearing XL size shorts? In my experience, if it offends common sense then it's usually wrong.

In my opinion only....is it possible that this person was overweight, hence being 5 foot 4 inches tall,and wearing Extra Large shorts?
IMOO.

It is a big discrepancy. I guess we will not know for sure until the DNA comes back. Circumstances trump for me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back