GUILTY CO - Jaclyn Funderburg, 22, Colorado Springs, 12 July 2007

Poor Jaclyn. Just beginning her life, and it's already over.

Please don't take this as a blame the victim mentality, but we need to start educating our children better. For our girls, we have to start early to train them to recognize possessive personalities- the would be stalkers who use love as an excuse to hurt and abuse. And we need to teach our sons that women are not second-class citizens who are there to fulfill their needs and can be mistreated when they "mess up".

Agree. I am grateful to my parents for making me suspicious and aware. I've never been assaulted or caught off guard. I don't even go running by myself. I just won't "go there" and leave myself open to the possibility of anything. Learning that anyone is capable of anything is a good lesson to learn from others and not by trial and error. Most of the time, these killers have some SERIOUS red flags already. Most people just don't want to face the chilling fact that it could happen to them. I am made fun of by my husband and friends...but I'm determined to make it to old age. I just laugh and tell them I'd rather be safe than sorry. Be vigilant! Always!

I have raised my daughters to avoid such circumstances and to value themselves, but we can teach until we are blue in the face until they fall in love with the wrong person. My SIL didn't "fit" the criteria for the first few years (they were best friends from Jr. high) until he began showing signs of mental illness which has gotten worse over time. She did divorce him, but not before he could pull some things we never thought he would. This guy had been around our family for ten plus years before then.

I agree we do need to teach our children...but we need to make them aware of mental illness in the process. What you see is NOT always what you get.

This happened with my daughter too. She's had a friend since elementary school that is just now (IMO) developing a mental problem. He's always been the nicest person, but he's definitely changing for the worst. We see it, but his family doesn't because he's away at college for the most part. Plus I think they are in denial about the things they do know. My daughter has pulled away slowly, so as not to anger him.

Some mental disorders don't start developing until after 18 yrs. and it could be hard to face especially if you've seemingly known the person forever. It happens slowly as well, and before you know it, you could be in trouble with that person you thought you knew. I'm glad to read that there are so many here that are alert. I wish Jaclyn had been able to get out of that relationship. My money's on the ex too. :(

Sorry to babble.

RIP Jaclyn.

Some mental disorders don't start developing until after 18 yrs. and it could be hard to face especially if you've seemingly known the person forever. It happens slowly as well, and before you know it, you could be in trouble with that person you thought you knew. I'm glad to read that there are so many here that are alert. I wish Jaclyn had been able to get out of that relationship. My money's on the ex too. :(

Yes, this is very true- schizophrenia is a good example. It rarely manifests before the teenage years.

My 22-year-old son is schizophrenic as well as OCD and ADHD. He is adopted, and his birthmother was a drug addict and abusive, with a terrible temper. We have done for him everything we can, but he is so paranoid that we're trying to throw him into a mental institution (we aren't) that he won't even speak to us.

My 22-year-old son is schizophrenic as well as OCD and ADHD. He is adopted, and his birthmother was a drug addict and abusive, with a terrible temper. We have done for him everything we can, but he is so paranoid that we're trying to throw him into a mental institution (we aren't) that he won't even speak to us.

Oh dear, thats a shame. Must be very painful for you. I'm sorry.
I hope he is able to be helped in the future.

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/44298992.html

Last Updated: 9:12 AM May 4, 2009

...Salvator Esquivel-Castillo, 37, is accused of killing Jaclyn Funderburg in July of 2007. Her body was found 11 days after she disappeared.

Jurors began deliberating the case Friday at noon. They must decide whether the 22-year-old woman died of a drug overdose or if Esquivel-Castilllo killed his former girlfriend, and mother of their child...

...Esqivel-Castillo was convicted in May, 2007 of assaulting Funderburg, breaking her jaw.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back