CO - James Holmes Trial Discussion - Begins April 27, 2015 # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/li...0810/20120810_060205_James_HolmesIll_App2.pdf

Here is another of JH's applications for a Ph.D program. This one from University of Illinois, which did offer him a position but he declined for the Colorado program we have all learned so much about.

It includes some of his test scores on the GRE.
Verbal 710 98%
Quantitative 800 94%
Analytical Writing 4.0 45%

I found that interesting, after what we have heard from so many of his Professors, especially the Analytical Writing part!

It has another of his personal statements, and the subject matter seems a bit different than the one to University of Iowa.

There is also 3 Letters of Recommendation, which I haven't seen before.

What is analytical writing? I didn't go further than highschool lol!

I have eaten a lot of sugary snacks in my time. In fact I ended up putting a lot of weight on and got Diabetes! I never attacked anyone though! Did that defence work?

No! I would go on to give more details about that situation, but it is O/T and it would get deleted. LOL!!

Here ya go>>

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/
snip~
The Issue task presents an opinion on an issue of general interest followed by specific instructions on how to respond to that issue. You are required to evaluate the issue, consider its complexities and develop an argument with reasons and examples to support your views.

Which is what we heard from his Professors, that he didn't do well at that part of his research or whatever. Guess those tests are used for a reason!

Which is what we heard from his Professors, that he didn't do well at that part of his research or whatever. Guess those tests are used for a reason!

LOL..Yep..JH just can't think "Outside of that box" ..

Is there court today or do you have a holiday as we have here in Germany?
Couldn't find a live stream.

Just a little FYI for those who are going to be reading but not listening...

We are on hour 4 (or more?) of listening/seeing Crime Scene Photographer Maria Pettolina showing impact evidence.

It is literally Ms. Pearson questioning her about each bullet hole, giving the marker numbers and seat numbers...and then Ms. Pettolina marking on the Theater Model each impact spot.

That is why there is so much other discussion right now, and no tweets. Again, just a little FYI so you are aware you aren't missing something else.

I guess that is something that will need to be answered. Either here - because I know there are very smart people here who would know the answer to this - or in court.

But in my head, I have it in there that no one would allow him to walk free again. Even if "cured" by medications, therapies, etc. Because they would have NO WAY to determine if he would stay on his meds, etc. And I just don't think any doctor or facility could take that chance.

Does anyone know one way or another how that works?

Im pretty sure I know the answer for here in US.
Here in the US, my understanding is that he could go free when he is ruled to be well enough to be released.

A perfect example is John Hinkley Junior and he is released now after trying to kill the president and shooting 2 others. Gravely wounding 1 of them who later died. Brady The brady law was wrote for his case.

So, for the defendent, i do think they would want to get an insanity decision over a prison sentence because they can get out eventually. Doctors are more likely to set them free because they try to help people get better. And its a doctors call once committed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley_Jr.

Im pretty sure I know the answer for here in US.
Here in the US, my understanding is that he could go free when he is ruled to be well enough to be released.

A perfect example is John Hinkley Junior and he is released now after trying to kill the president and shooting 2 others. Gravely wounding 1 of them who later died. Brady The brady law was wrote for his case.

So, for the defendent, i do think they would want to get a guilty with insanity over a prison sentence because they can get out eventually. Doctors are more likely to set them free because they try to help people get better. And its a doctors call once committed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley_Jr.

He hasn't been released fully into society. He gets his freedom occasionally, to visit his mother. But he still has to return. And he spent 20 years in there before being allowed visits.

But of course, that is nothing like prison for the rest of his life!

He hasn't been released fully into society. He gets his freedom occasionally, to visit his mother. But he still has to return. And he spent 20 years in there before being allowed visits.

But of course, that is nothing like prison for the rest of his life!

Right. It would be awhile but for the defendent it seems to be a huge advantage to know that someday there is a good chance you will be released into society. You may have to be monitored and other requirements but that is much better than being behind bars.

To me, it would be an easy decision to want that over a LWOP sentence.

Even while confined to a mental institution, I am pretty sure some are not like in the old horror days stories. I would think that most modern facilities actually take pretty good care of the patients and I think that alone would be preferable instead of being behind bars.

All JMO of course. :)

Well i've head some mental health issues in the past and you didnt offend me :)

I think he can be released from a hospital once they decide he is no longer insane. I doubt it would take long for him to get his act together and persuade them he is well again. Therefore he will have the chance of a life whereas life without parole in prison = never walking free.

Think John Hinkley......(I always felt that you shoot at a President--automatic treason=life)

If I understood it right he gets out quite a bit now.

"permitted up to eight 17-day visits"

That would be 8 X 17 = 136 days a year outside to visit relatives. Almost half a year.
What I really worry with JH is I think he could fool doctors just like they say about Hinkley.

"Justice Department counsel argued that Hinckley had been known to deceive his doctors in the past."

Thank you very much. Do you think it will be tedious like this the whole day?

Thank you very much. Do you think it will be tedious like this the whole day?

It's hard to say Susza..they are up to 237 ballistic impacts now..and I believe there was talk there were 240 something. She will then have to enter into evidence all those bullets located too..After that..I'm sure they'll move on into more interesting witnesses..Could even have a Psychiatrist's on the stand..or yet another victim..Your guess is as good as mine :thinking:

ETA~~ up to 240 now..
Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman 3m3 minutes ago
Pettolina: Impact 9-240 was on the west wall. She says seats were later cut apart to collect additional evidence. #theatershooting

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman 15 minutes ago
Pearson seems to be getting close to the bottom of her stack of evidence photos. #theatershooting

jh1.png

It's hard to say Susza..they are up to 237 ballistic impacts now..and I believe there was talk there were 240 something. She will then have to enter into evidence all those bullets located too..After that..I'm sure they'll move on into more interesting witnesses..Could even have a Psychiatrist's on the stand..or yet another victim..Your guess is as good as mine :thinking:

ETA~~ up to 240 now..
Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman 3m3 minutes ago
Pettolina: Impact 9-240 was on the west wall. She says seats were later cut apart to collect additional evidence. #theatershooting

She is now presenting a box of physical evidence. Seems like quite a few evidence bags. And then each will have to passed to the jury.

I would say we still have a good hour or more with this witness. At least she has a very strong, clear, pleasant voice! I really like Ms. Pettolina.

OH, and on thedenverchannel discussion area, someone said that she is the last CSI to testify. That would make sense, since this is the last of the physical evidence.

Right. It would be awhile but for the defendent it seems to be a huge advantage to know that someday there is a good chance you will be released into society. You may have to be monitored and other requirements but that is much better than being behind bars.

To me, it would be an easy decision to want that over a LWOP sentence.

Even while confined to a mental institution, I am pretty sure some are not like in the old horror days stories. I would think that most modern facilities actually take pretty good care of the patients and I think that alone would be preferable instead of being behind bars.

All JMO of course. :)

Agree absolutely, a mental health facility or "mental institution" provides a more comfortable living environment than a state or federal prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg