CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #24 *GUILTY PLEA*

As a parent of survivors myself, my heart goes out to you. Only the civil portion of our case was protracted, thankfully, but even then it was incredibly frustrating, and heartbreaking, and tremendously challenging to deal with... Even now, years later, it still can cause issues. (On the last thread I shared why Jessica's case hit so literally close to home for myself, and my children as we lived in the same neighborhood, my oldest shares her name, and attended the same school when my children were abused by a neighbor over 10 years ago).

I totally hear you in regard to the 25 years, and the doubts about not mandating counseling during those first years of confinement. That seems extremely counter-intuitive to me. Like you said, what good is it to let someone with obvious issues stew for 20 years in that kind of environment without at least affording them some opportunity to come to grips with the seriousness of their crimes. That sounds like a recipe for disaster, imo - especially with the rates of recidivism being so high for sexual offenders already...

The more I think on that, the more alarming it becomes, really. Many criminals will state that the reason they got put into prison is because they weren't good enough at the crimes they committed, but many times in prison they learned more ways to commit those crimes effectively, and avoid discovery when they were eventually released. I don't know how that would be any different in the case of sexual offenders... except for the fact that I know the general prison population views these types of criminals as the lowest of the low... Even criminals have lines that they believe shouldn't be crossed - abusing a child is one of them...
Redhead, I'm very sorry for the pain your children and Lalettab's children, too, plus both of you as parents, have experienced at the hands of child abusers.

I think the part of your post in bold holds the key to why these offenders won't be counseled until shortly before they're due to be released. The penal system likely doesn't want to pay for services that may not be needed in 25 years should the perpetrator not survive prison long enough to be released. If an offender has survived general population for 20 years, then the chance he will survive his entire sentence is increased. There's also the chance an offender may die a natural death in prison, especially one who would be over 60 years old at time of release. So, age at time of incarceration and length of sentence are probably considerations.

I'm not sure how psychologists and the rest of the rehabilitation team are paid in a prison (a yearly salary, per hour or per case). I did work at one time with a psychologist who also worked at a state prison, and know that in our facilities (group homes) he was paid only for services rendered during a pay period. I do know that he was under a contract, as were other professionals we used, so I imagine it works similarly in the penal system. Therefore, I do suspect that cost management is a top consideration and they are hesitant to pay for services that a prisoner may never need if chances are slim that he'll ever make it to the release date.

I know that doesn't sound very humane, and I've noted elsewhere on the forums that I'd like to see prisoners treated as though they've never had the opportunity to learn appropriate behaviors (habilitation vs. rehabilitation). However, most institutions/ agencies are run like businesses, where cost-cutting is top priority. Just :moo:

Interesting study considering that it was revealed that Austin Sigg had legal issues with *advertiser censored* while in his early teens and prior abduction/rape attempts...
"Silence by the Justice System is the recidivist sexual predator's most lethal weapon'.. The truth concerning Austin Sigg's past deviant sexual behavior would be an indictment of the same Justice System that is attempting to silence the info that may prevent another tragic abduction/murder in the future, imo..

http://www.middlebury.edu/media/view/240951/original/PredatoryNature.pdf

Serial Offending and Recidivism
Perhaps the most sobering data that have emerged from the study of
incarcerated rapists are the sheer numbers of victims attacked by the average
rapist. Most rapists who are prosecuted are convicted on a single count of rape.
However, when researchers have granted immunity to offenders in exchange for a truthful accounting of their sex offending history the reality of rape emerges. In
one study, the average number of victims for each rapist was seven, and in
another study it was 11.
Offenders tend to have very lengthy offending
careers, beginning in adolescence
and often spanning several decades. By the
time they are captured – if they are captured – they have often victimized scores
or even hundred’s of individuals.

These categorizations have rested on the assumption that these choices of victims
were stable, even fixed characteristics of the offenders. However, the labeling of
an offender as either a rapist, a child molester, or an incest offender has typically
been based on nothing more than what the offender was convicted of.
The reality turns out to be far murkier. There is now substantial evidence
for considerable “crossover” among these categories
. So much so, in fact, that it is
questionable whether it is advisable to apply specific victim-category labels to an
offender. Multiple studies have now documented that between 33% and 66% of
rapists have also sexually attacked children; that up to 82% of child molesters
have also sexually attacked adults; and that between 50% and 66% of incest
offenders have also sexually attacked children outside their families.

Perhaps he doesnt want to be labled a child sex offender in prison. They get attacked and are often killed there. Maybe just that simple...he should be very afraid. IMO

Perhaps he doesnt want to be labled a child sex offender in prison. They get attacked and are often killed there. Maybe just that simple...he should be very afraid. IMO

So the other criminals would be perfectly okay with him kidnapping, killing, and then dismembering a 10-year-old as long as he didn't rape her either...?

They do frown more on sexual preditors than murders. But you are right, hes gonna be in triple jeopardy there. www.slate.com/articles/.../jerry_sandusky...

IMO

Yeah, but we're not talking about some guy who shot another guy...We are talking about someone who kidnapped, murdered, and then dismembered a 10-year-old. Even if there is no sexual assault, I can't see the other criminals in jail being "a-okay" with AS. Plus, are they really going to know or care exactly what he was charged with? It's just going to be the new guy who killed that little girl, and they aren't going to care about whether or not he sexually assaulted her or not before giving him some prison justice.

Yeah, but we're not talking about some guy who shot another guy...We are talking about someone who kidnapped, murdered, and then dismembered a 10-year-old. Even if there is no sexual assault, I can't see the other criminals in jail being "a-okay" with AS. Plus, are they really going to know or care exactly what he was charged with? It's just going to be the new guy who killed that little girl, and they aren't going to care about whether or not he sexually assaulted her or not before giving him some prison justice.

I agree. IMO even if it is proven that there was no sexual assault of any kind, he will be on the receiving end of some rough justice. I hope AS doesn't assume he will be feared or somehow held in awe by other prisoners because of his horrible crime - I believe he is in for a rude awakening if this is the case.
:moo:

Saw this & immediately thought of Jessica. Fortunately this 9 year old ran away, even though the guy chased her! But the creep is still out there stalking children.

http://www.wistv.com/story/21788947/lexington-neighborhood-on-edge-after-two-potential-kidnappings
Michelle Childress was at home when the child showed up at her front door. Childress dialed 911 and kept her calm, helping deputies to interview the girl.
"He would ask a questions and you could see her little body tense back up, and finally I got her to close her eyes and I said, 'Just remember, he's here and he's going to protect you and no one's going to hurt you,'" said Childress.

I agree. IMO even if it is proven that there was no sexual assault of any kind, he will be on the receiving end of some rough justice. I hope AS doesn't assume he will be feared or somehow held in awe by other prisoners because of his horrible crime - I believe he is in for a rude awakening if this is the case.
:moo:

From my limited knowledge of prison hierarchy, having never been there myself, any kind of abuse of a child will put AS at the bottom of the food chain. Most of those incarcerated suffered some sort of abuse as children. People like AS are who reap their retribution. I'm not wishing harm on the boy, its prison life.
I don't know if AS is evil, confused, abused or anything else. Only he knows. Sad statement about the future of our society.

That was Travis Forbes' (Kenia's murderer) biggest concern and stipulation for "cooperating".

It was 6 months ago today that Jessica was abducted. :(

Saw this & immediately thought of Jessica. Fortunately this 9 year old ran away, even though the guy chased her! But the creep is still out there stalking children.

http://www.wistv.com/story/21788947/lexington-neighborhood-on-edge-after-two-potential-kidnappings

Wow! Thanks, stillwatersc, for bringing us a horror-story-with-a-good-ending for a change. We don't get many of those, do we?

My heart aches for the little girl since she won't forget that day, ever, and she may have nightmares, but -- her nightmares will go away, and at least she is having those nightmares in her own bed and near her family. And she is old enuff to know it could have been so much worse.

I hope she has told her story in the auditorium of her school already. Children are sometimes too preoccupied and/or not aware of their surroundings, or are too trusting, and that can lead to horrible outcomes.

I hope she does know for sure how her quick thinking saved her own life. And she and the angel-on-earth who took her in will always have a special bond. She was in the palm of God's hand that day and in that place, and an unknowing angel was there for her. God bless them both.

My two cents here, a perpetrator can confess to the crime (or aspects to the crime, example "I know I did it but I don't know the details") and have every intention of pleading guilty, and be talked out of it by their own attorney. I had the misfortune to be in a situation recently where my children were abused and their abuser had the excuse that he "didn't remember the details" but he knew he had committed the crime. He turned himself into the police and confessed that he had abused them, and wasn't even arrested until a month later. We were dragged through much of the court process, the pretrial conferences, etc, before he was finally "allowed" to take the plea deal that had been on the table the whole time. (It was stated that he took the plea "against attorney's advice") So, hopefully that gives some insight into why this case is still dragging on even though he confessed. As it was explained to me, they don't want a situation where a person gives a weak or partial confession and then enters a guilty plea, because that can be an issue years down the line if they decide to appeal.
Off topic a bit, in my case I live in a state that does have Jessica's law, and my children's abuser won't be eligible for parole for 25 years. However, due to the way the system works and the limited resources available, he won't actually receive any type of counseling or treatment for at least 20 years. I really have to wonder what the effectiveness is of that, other than just guaranteeing me 25 years of not having to wonder if he's hurting anyone else, followed by a lifetime of wondering how much worse, and angrier the person has gotten in the 25 years they spent locked away without counseling.

Thanks for your thoughtful post, Lalettab. And, BTW,

:Welcome1:

to

:websleuther:Websleuths!!:websleuther:

Lalettab!!!

:rollercoaster:

We're glad you're here!!

http://kdvr.com/2013/03/12/siggs-guilty-plea-may-hinge-on-sexual-assault-charges/
"Though investigators say Sigg confessed to strangling Ridgeway to death and then dismembering her body, he has vehemently denied sexually assaulting the girl."

I'm guessing the prosecution hasn't agreed to drop the sexual assault & child *advertiser censored* charges. :moo:

The Prosecutors should drop the sexual assault charges in exchange for a guilty plea. The evidence for sexual assault sounds weak at best, and wouldn't substantially effect his sentence anyway. Dragging this case out on that principal, is just crazy. But the lawyers and judges have to make their money I guess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back