Identified! CO - Lookout Mtn, WhtFem, 20-40, Windy Saddle Trail, May'14 - Sandra Mercado

Not understanding the pics of the car. How would evidence be under the car if it's a police car? Does it belong to the hiking officer? Unless someone dropped things in the parking lot, and he parked over it, I'm not getting it. If the woman was found that close, still not sure what would have washed down into the parking lot. Maybe more will come out today.

Judging by where the investigator have evidence markers, they are looking for evidence of the victim being dragged. Or perhaps just recent footprints.

BTW - Windy Saddle is the name of the trailhead and the open space park owned by Jefferson County. The trails are called Chimney Gulch and Beaver Brook. Chimney Gulch is popular with mountain bikers. Beaver Brook is a hiking trail that was built as part of the Denver Mountsin Park system almost a century ago.

That looks like a drop down to where the other tent is. I guess hikers have to go down a set of steps? Maybe she was dropped over that wall. Good grief!

The Windy Saddle trailhead is a popular area. Unless the body was far off the trails or well hidden, I doubt it had been there for more than a few days.

LE is asking for anyone who'd been hiking the trail within the 24 hours before the body's discovery to call in if they saw anything suspicious. So it definitely hasn't been there long.

What an odd place to dump a body, though. The location makes me think whoever did this was trying to hide her, but this is a well-populated hiking trail and she was found so quickly. I wonder how far off the trail she was dumped and if they actually tried to conceal her body (covering it with leaves, hiding it in bushes, etc.)

Good morning. :coffee:

Well, I had some thoughts about this case right before I fell asleep last but now I can't remember any of them.

I agree this body is likely someone who has not been reported missing yet.

(eta: and if this was a crime committed by someone close to the victim, well then it could be a while before it is revealed they are missing).

Judging by where the investigator have evidence markers, they are looking for evidence of the victim being dragged. Or perhaps just recent footprints.

BTW - Windy Saddle is the name of the trailhead and the open space park owned by Jefferson County. The trails are called Chimney Gulch and Beaver Brook. Chimney Gulch is popular with mountain bikers. Beaver Brook is a hiking trail that was built as part of the Denver Mountsin Park system almost a century ago.

So weird how we're having this discussion again, footwarrior.

(See post #10 above for those just joining us-creepy)

and/or tire tracks.

So, considering the fact that LE is scouring mp cases and reaching out to help ascertain the identity of the victim, I would say its a safe assumption that nothing identifiable was found with the victim (purse, cars, vehicle, id, cellphone, etc.), and that she doe not have a record (fingerprints).

I wonder if there are any abandoned cars nearby, or ones that have possibly been towed. Or an abandoned mountain bike lying around.

The video links posted above really give a good perspective of the area, not quite visible by the photos.

Wondering if this was a random assault/murder, or some sort of other incident (say domestic and dumped).

https://twitter.com/jeffcosheriffco

Jeffco Sheriff @jeffcosheriffco · 21h
Suspicious death inv. by #JCSO on Lookout Mtn. Road closure map: http://bit.ly/1ob4x00 #jeffco

BnIUoZ4CEAANXp6.jpg:large

A photo of the Windy Saddle trailhead from the trail.

picture.php

The killer must have left her identification on her? How stupid, thankfully. I think this will be solved quickly.

Yeah, I think they know who it is because of the statement "no ties to Colorado." That sounds like they're really sure she's not a resident.

Yeah, I think they know who it is because of the statement "no ties to Colorado." That sounds like they're really sure she's not a resident.

How freaking creepy is it that she had "no ties" to Colorado yet she was murdered there... so was she vacationing? Did she hitch a ride and was en route to another destination? Was she abducted from a neighboring state and taken to the middle of nowhere?

"The unidentified woman whose body was found on Lookout Mountain has no ties to Colorado and was murdered within 24 hours before her body was dumped, authorities say."
"Jefferson County sheriff's investigators identified the woman using her fingerprints because she has a criminal record in another state, Techmeyer said. They have not been able to find family members yet so they are not releasing her name."
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25729814/jeffco-sheriff-says-woman-found-lookout-mountain-was

I have to wonder, so they identified her, and they identified the lady they found in the Spokane River... but they released Spokane Jane's name, though they couldn't find family... at what point do they stop looking for family and release the name?

As a local, this is creeping me out a bit. They have never named a suspect in Amy's case, right? How close is this trailhead to where Amy's car was found? I drive through these canyons on my way to the mountains, but don't hike the trails...seems to be a bit too much for a coincidence?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back