CO - Richard & Mayumi Heene charged in Balloon Boy hoax, Fort Collins, 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is so scary!! I feel for that little guy!!! So many things could go wrong. At those altitudes, he could freeze to death depending on how high he goes. Does anyone know how high up he is approximately?

It's got to be cold up there.

TH speculating that helicopter was beneath the balloon because it had been so for 15 minutes and would have gone higher if possible.

It looks like the balloon was too high for the helicopter to ascend to~ which would be above 10,000 FT.

The child might have plenty of oxygen up there but temps would be very cold.

Still discussing on CNN.

Ok first 10,000 or 12,000 feet is not that high and the altitude only will not hurt him. Plenty of oxygen.

The cold is certainly an issue, but I'm hoping like most CO kids he took a coat.

I'm concerned about how he is going to get down!! Those mylar / aluminum constructed balloons hold helium for a long time.

I hate to suggest shooting him down .....

I have mixed emotions. Don't know if I should laugh, cry, or be jealous.

Need to go see what's up .......

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/21306839/detail.html
It is believed the device could rise to 10,000 feet," said Eloise Campanella, Larimer County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman.

"The structure at the bottom of the balloon that the boy is in is made of extremely thin plywood and won't withstand any kind of a crash at all," said Erik Nilsson, Larimer County Emergency Manager.

Deputies from Larimer and Weld counties are tracking the balloon as it drifts. Experts said it could remain airborne for up to 12 hours.

I know somebody said it could take 8 hrs - this says 12!! I think the cold would kill him before that. There has to be something they can do!

per cnn...best thing to wait till helium to dissipate but problem is where will it land...buildings.

Getting aircraft near it would be dangerous....

per cnn...best thing to wait till helium to dissipate but problem is where will it land...buildings.

Getting aircraft near it would be dangerous....

also power lines present a danger in letting the balloon drift down.

Sheriff saying boy may have falling out shortly after take off.....

also power lines present a danger in letting the balloon drift down.

I was thinking that too. They can't control where it lands or what it runs into. Chances are this won't end well.

visual indicates door is unlatched. Speculation from a sibling. Can't confirm.

Can't confirm child is in balloon.

This is so mind-blowing! Now they are saying on HLN there's a possibility the boy could have fallen out... Praying that this is not the case. :(

OMG, I can't believe this even happened. I have been watching and it's horrific. I can't imagine the fear of this lil guy. I'm wondering if he has passed out. I'm mean it spins, and he must be so dizzy if he is awake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon