GUILTY CO - Ryan Wappel for sexual exploitation of a child, Longmont, 2010

Several things are bothering me here. I guess that's an understatement. Obviously foremost, this teen's MO is almost exactly the same as our children's rapist. Heck his first name is the same. Lovely name and I know a few wonderful Ryans but it's not a name any of our grandchildren will be named, let me just say.

Then, there's the issue of the media coverage. While I wish that every teen who was a RSO and who violated parole by hanging out with neighborhood kids, would have flashing billboards about their transgressions, somehow I know that's just not going to happen. I have to wonder, why the media coverage?

Then there's the angle of the Boy Scouts. That worries me greatly. This boy is an Eagle Scout. While we were not a scouting family, I'm well aware of how much hard work that takes. His parents are both highly involved in scouting as are relatives in the family's former town of Belleville, IL.

Then, thanks to Mysteriew's little nudge, I did find something. It seems that Wappel has a relative who IS a RSO. Richard Edward Zurawski of Redwood City, CA--formerly of Carson City, NV. Age 62.

Just hmmmmmmm.

Oh my this is all too interesting and disgusting at the same time. My thing is I know that his parents want to protect him (Wappel) but there is a difference of not telling everyone what he has done when children are not involved to letting him be around children and take part in the scouts! I believe they should hold some liability in that.

I love the part where it's stated:

His defense attorney said during his sentencing that he was slow to mature mentally and sexually, according to evaluations.

Really, is that really his excuse???

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=26548

BOULDER — An 18-year-old Longmont man who violated his sex offender probation earlier this year was sentenced this morning to two years of work release and had his probation extended from eight to 10 years.

Boulder District Judge Gwyneth Whalen said probation means Ryan Wappel will remain under court supervision much longer than he would be if he were sentenced to prison. But she sternly warned the Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout and his parents, who work for the organization, that another misstep could mean time in a state prison.

“I cannot emphasize to you enough, and his parents, the next stop is prison,” she said.

<more at link>

Jeesh. So he's still gonna walk semi-free? I'm NOT happy as he's not going to stop. I don't want to be disrespectful of the judge but this kid is going to take advantage of the trust the judge is placing in him and another child is going to suffer.

Not happy at all.......

Thank you so much, DeepThinker, for keeping an eye on Wappel. Just dandy. He's now living in an apartment which is one block from a rec center and a children's museum and two blocks from a large city park. Hmmmm.

Hold the phone!!! Right across the street from Pioneer Elementary School. Yikes!!! Not OK.

He now works at Cafe Rio in Longmont and Nordstrom Rack in Boulder. He lives in Gunbarrel.

So… I joined just to add this comment. His brother Colin is also an RSO with a 2016 date. They live together.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back