GUILTY CO - Summer Hawk, 24 days, found dead in garage, Loveland, 25 Jan 2010

Most women aren't just going to smoke pot during pregnancy. It's not physically addictive so why would they even bother unless they think it's cool. This woman probably did other drugs that just didn't show up in tests. People who are addle brained enough to think that babies should be in an unheated garage need to either be in a state hospital, nursing home, or prison.

Oh, and the mom.....she moved out of state and had five more babies. All drug exposed.....all entered the system and we are assisting our sons in helping them search for their siblings. I only hope they've had the love and protection our boys got.

This right here is, in my opinion, a perfect example of why there should be mandated sterilization. This woman made a couple of mistakes. She had every opportunity to prove to everyone that she could pull herself together and be a mother to the children she brought into the world. They let her bring one crack baby home with her. What does she do? Continue on with a life of drugs and prostition. She couldn't even be bothered to stay on birth control. Baby after baby are brought into the world, and maybe they didn't have the same good fortune as the first two.

And how about a man who fathers multiple children with multiple women? Then is not around to be a father, much less pay child support. Sterilization.

This is not the forum for my wild and out-there ideas, I know, but this whole case just makes me so mad. Someone is given the gift of a baby, and she doesn't care enough about this new person to grow up and put her own desires (partying, drinking, drugs) aside so her child can have a decent life. Nobody deserves to be treated like that. And it just breaks my heart that nobody cared enough to help the baby, not even her own grandmother! That said, I really hope the older sister, the two-year-old, is somewhere warm and safe and happy.

Grandma: Mistakes unintentional in newborn's death

LOVELAND - The grandmother of a Loveland woman accused of neglect leading to the death of her 24-day-old daughter said the family made mistakes, but didn't intentionally harm the infant.

People make some really serious mistakes. We sure did, but it wasn't intentional," Marjorie Bennett said in an e-mail to the Coloradoan.

Bennett is the grandmother of 20-year-old Kaylynn Davis, who is charged with child abuse resulting in the death of her infant daughter, Summer Moon Hawk. Davis is being held with a $300,000 bail at the Larimer County Detention Center.
In a brief e-mail to the Coloradoan, Bennett said the paper "slaughtered my family" in its coverage of the case. She disputed some of the details in the affidavit.

Scott Highland of the Loveland Police Department wrote in the affidavit that Davis' friends expressed concern that she left her children with other people. She has a 2-year-old daughter, Pheonyx Davis.

"Witnesses have seen her leave Pheonyx with strangers several times so that she can go 'party,'" Highland said in the affidavit. "Kaylynn did this again with Summer when she left her with a woman named Sonia Diaz. According to Sonia, they were only acquaintances."

Bennett wrote, "Kay never left her baby with strangers! She only left her with a responsible adult."

She also disputed Highland's statement that the temperature in the garage dropped to 43.7 degrees the night after Summer was found dead.

Highland said there was "a small space heater in the room, but no other source of heat."

"The garage was 43 when the police checked because they removed the heater," Bennett said in her e-mail.

"The garage is attached to the house. There was a new heater in there set on high 24 hours a day. Did Highland tell you that? It actually kept the room at about 71," she said.

more here

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=132511

Deaths of 2 area newborns prompt Human Services internal investigations

By Nate Taylor • For Loveland Connection • March 1, 2010

Larimer County Department of Human Services is the subject of two internal investigations into how its employees handled cases where newborns in Loveland and Fort Collins died while they were under some level of supervision by case workers.
Advertisement

After almost two years of review, a report detailing how Larimer County employees handled the case of Chad Munoz, a 20-day-old Fort Collins child who was killed in January 2008, will soon be made public, according to Colorado DHS spokeswoman Liz McDonough.

A second review of how employees handled the case of Summer Moon Hawk, a 24-day-old Loveland child who died Jan. 25, is just getting started.

Summer's mother, Kaylynn Davis, faces child abuse resulting in death charges in connection with the baby's death.

If the Munoz case is any indication, it could be months, or even years, before the findings of the review of the Hawk case are made public.

more here - but not much on Summer's case

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20100301/LOVELAND01/100301001

010210t1b.jpg

Pic from here -- http://www.reporterherald.com/news_story.asp?ID=26353 -- story of the "First birth of 2010".....poor baby didn't live to be a month old. :(

From January 2011:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/mom-gets-work-release-probation-in-baby-s-death

Summer Moon Hawk was the first baby born in Loveland in 2010. She died Jan. 25, 2010, from penumonia...

Davis entered an Alford plea to causing serious bodily injury by negligence. An Alford plea means she did not acknowledge guilt but understood she could be convicted.

Davis was sentenced to five months in a work-release program and 10 years probation, the Fort Collins Coloradoan said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back