Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #103

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Barry drove his Bobcat up the mountain in the middle of the night. They're not that quiet and so the neighbors would have heard.
@Trackergd seems to speculate that BM may have used the Bobcat to prepare the burial site well in advance (and not in the middle of the night), hoping to appear to passersby as an authorized worker repairing/improving access roads, trails, drainage, etc. He would have hauled the machine up existing roads that do not have neighbors. Reasonable speculation, IMO.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I think they NEED support from CBI at a minimum and I am guessing their budget won't be enough to hire a bunch of outside help. I have said I'm not so sure the they really have an area pinpointed so it seems to me that they are going to need support if in fact they are going to continue any searching of any magnitude. I have no idea if a failed prosecution has an impact on willingness of outside agencies to lend support. Probably no one but people directly involved know the answer and could give any factual background in similar cases but I do wonder and on a whim wondered if anyone knew the answer. And of course like many I wonder if they do find her if they will have any evidence to tie to Barry (or anyone else) or if it will just answer the question of "is she alive". I don't know what else I can possibly add.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I think they NEED support from CBI at a minimum and I am guessing their budget won't be enough to hire a bunch of outside help. I have said I'm not so sure the they really have an area pinpointed so it seems to me that they are going to need support if in fact they are going to continue any searching of any magnitude. I have no idea if a failed prosecution has an impact on willingness of outside agencies to lend support. Probably no one but people directly involved know the answer and could give any factual background in similar cases but I do wonder and on a whim wondered if anyone knew the answer. And of course like many I wonder if they do find her if they will have any evidence to tie to Barry (or anyone else) or if it will just answer the question of "is she alive". I don't know what else I can possibly add.
Find the body, and it's game over for Barry. It doesn't matter if there's any additional evidence that links him to the body itself, as there is more than enough already.

They are undoubtedly searching areas he is connected to in some way, so if she's found there then that's the icing on the cake.

Necrosearch is non profit, Colorado based, and has been involved in this from the very early days. I care more about them searching than anyone else.

Find the body, and it's game over for Barry. It doesn't matter if there's any additional evidence that links him to the body itself, as there is more than enough already.

They are undoubtedly searching areas he is connected to in some way, so if she's found there then that's the icing on the cake.

Necrosearch is non profit, Colorado based, and has been involved in this from the very early days. I care more about them searching than anyone else.
What if Suzanne is found outside of Colorado? or any other location that B could not be tied to?

IMO, Suzanne needs to be found within the locale of PP - the further away she is, the less likely it is to be tied to B, unless there is evidence that is found with the body that points in B's direction.

IMO, I think it rather simplistic to say 'find the body and its game over for B'.

What if Suzanne is found outside of Colorado? or any other location that B could not be tied to?

IMO, Suzanne needs to be found within the locale of PP - the further away she is, the less likely it is to be tied to B, unless there is evidence that is found with the body that points in B's direction.

IMO, I think it rather simplistic to say 'find the body and its game over for B'.
If she's found anywhere else, it's because Barry moved her. I absolutely do not for a second believe that occurred.

He's not Letecia Stauch.

Because I think they NEED support from CBI at a minimum and I am guessing their budget won't be enough to hire a bunch of outside help. I have said I'm not so sure the they really have an area pinpointed so it seems to me that they are going to need support if in fact they are going to continue any searching of any magnitude. I have no idea if a failed prosecution has an impact on willingness of outside agencies to lend support. Probably no one but people directly involved know the answer and could give any factual background in similar cases but I do wonder and on a whim wondered if anyone knew the answer. And of course like many I wonder if they do find her if they will have any evidence to tie to Barry (or anyone else) or if it will just answer the question of "is she alive". I don't know what else I can possibly add.
Again @Momofthreeboys, this wasn’t a failed prosecution. The judge gutted their case. Please note that in your future comments.

I agree. In addition, even if they do find the body near PP and they find foreign DNA on her or any kind of sexual assault DNA, in my opinion it would not be game over!

If she's found anywhere else, it's because Barry moved her. I absolutely do not for a second believe that occurred.

He's not Letecia Stauch.
BBM, no he isn't, she's female and he's male, but I digress.

IF Barry killed Suzanne, she is close to PP. If at PP, Suzanne has either been 'landscaped' or disposed of on the property. I don't think Barry would leave PP until he was convinced she could not be found.

I agree. In addition, even if they do find the body near PP and they find foreign DNA on her or any kind of sexual assault DNA, in my opinion it would not be game over!
First there would have to be DNA to find (it's been over two years). Secondly, the evidence excludes that possibility in the first place.

You still can’t separate Barry from this.

Some predator didn’t kidnap Suzanne, stage a bicycle, dump a helmet, force Barry to lie about when he woke up, put Barry outside when he should have been sleeping, put Barry in the vicinity of the bike, shut down Suzanne’s phone at the precise moment Barry needed it to, force Barry to chase elk towards the helmet location, force him to dump 5 bags of trash (and lie about his reasoning), force him to lie about working, force him to lie about where he was when he got that call, force him to repeat this lie over and over to CBI, force him to stage tools in the lobby to sell his lie, force him to lie about the state of their marriage, and Suzanne wanting a divorce.

He didn’t cause Suzanne’s footprint to cease to exist on that afternoon, put Barry’s phone on airplane mode, disappear her journal, scratch Barry’s arms.

I could go on and on.

This argument runs contrary to every piece of evidence, has no supporting evidence, and is nothing more than pure fantasy.

IF Barry killed Suzanne, she is close to PP. If at PP, Suzanne has either been 'landscaped' or disposed of on the property. I don't think Barry would leave PP until he was convinced she could not be found.
There are quite a few more differences than that, despite them both being pathological liars and killers.

I don't think Barry had any issue with leaving PP, as it makes no sense for her to be on that property in the first place.

That's not normal behavior in a case like this, and I can't fathom Necrosearch missing her there either.

So she may be close, but not that close.

That is always a possibility. I agree it is not game over simply by finding a body. Just one less hurdle than the first prosecution attempt.

Well it's more than just gender. We can look at what Barry did at the hotel. He showered (my speculation) and changed his clothing (as seen on the various video/photos the AA showed) several times and after trash run/dumps. He said he woke up and showered before leaving the house. What did he need to shower and change at the hotel for when he didn't do any work at the job site that day? I think he was paranoid about having any trace of what he'd done on his clothing/vehicle. I really don't see him moving a body later because it seems just based on what we are able to see from that day, he couldn't even dump trash without needing to go back and change and possibly shower (wet towels smelling of bleach on the hotel floor as relayed by his co workers that used the room after him). What did he do bleach himself? I think he wanted rid of her and fast as he could. For that reason, I think she is close to the house and whatever he did it was fast as he could could do it. I think that hole was predug close by or he didn't even dig a hole.

Another thought is he was used to hunting and I'm sure tossing a deer or other animal over his shoulders or dragging it. Suzanne was small. I think he could have tossed her over his shoulders and walked somewhere quietly in the middle of the night.

The judge gutted their case because the prosecution failed to meet deadlines, multiple times. Please note that in your future comments. ;)
It's also important to note that missing the deadlines, does not mean evidence isn't there to get a conviction. This isn't a case of there not being evidence to show Barry is guilty. The judge did put harsh sanctions on the prosecution for those missed deadlines. From the conversations I've seen here on WS, it seems those sanctions were more harsh than is typical. It also seems the judge used the defenses notes for some rulings instead of reading for himself, which made things biased toward the defense. Maybe in the end it will work out better this way.

It's also important to note that missing the deadlines, does not mean evidence isn't there to get a conviction. This isn't a case of there not being evidence to show Barry is guilty. The judge did put harsh sanctions on the prosecution for those missed deadlines. From the conversations I've seen here on WS, it seems those sanctions were more harsh than is typical. It also seems the judge used the defenses notes for some rulings instead of reading for himself, which made things biased toward the defense. Maybe in the end it will work out better this way.
Exactly. The evidence is there, and an overwhelming majority of people are able to put all the pieces together.

You've got to be able to present those pieces though, and they weren't going to be able to do that.

This case wasn't dropped because they arrested an innocent man. Lol.

Nobody can successfully argue that Linda Stanley's team was anything less than an abject failure. For some reason the prosecution was incapable of building a case with what they had. The evidence discussed here seems substantial. Of course, we don't know how the evidence would play out in a trial.

Nobody can successfully argue that Linda Stanley's team was anything less than an abject failure. For some reason the prosecution was incapable of building a case with what they had. The evidence discussed here seems substantial. Of course, we don't know how the evidence would play out in a trial.
They built a very compelling case, but couldn't present that case. Not being able to present it because of your unforced errors, doesn't mean that case doesn't exist.

They built a very compelling case, but couldn't present that case. Not being able to present it because of your unforced errors, doesn't mean that case doesn't exist.
I agree. But the errors existed all the way back to the charging, which we know the CBI thought to be too soon. I guess that thought proved to be true.

Everyone thinks a second arrest will be a slam dunk and I don't agree with that. The prosecutors have laid their cards on the table and Iris surely has a formidable defense planned with what she knows. I still think she might bail out if a substantial new piece of evidence is found, but what else is there to find? Seems like all there is to find are Suzanne's remains.

And depending on where they're found and what they're found with could affect the case that the prosecutors have already built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJW4966