Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t wait for Barry to get deposed, over and over again, for his civil suit. More evidence. He can’t plead the fifth, he’s innocent! JMO
In these times, in the US of A, on our civil side, imo, the trial, per se, becomes the punishment. Further, imo, this result was the respondent's objective at the onset.
With with the depth and range of our membership, packing-up sympathies, examples of cost-impoverished civil trial respondents will come to mind.

What is the likelihood that the presiding judge will award costs and all attorneys' fees to each and every BM/IE sued respondent? I'll be stunned if there' proves to be a single case.
This then compels consideration of which respondents, if any - and if so to what extent - are having their legal fees and personal expenses and losses related to trial, covered by their current/former employer(s), be these government or private sector. o_O ?!
And then there's the appellate morass around every corner. A galactic-scale legal tender black hole...

Well, it's all no more nor less than the kind of pasture pie an amoral client's manic counsel steams-up.
"If you don't like it, well, then SETTLE." [Barr's got bucks the client's trust account... riiight...] "Here take some, forget being a respondent. Oh. If we ever do see you again it will be...true...in court, but merely to assist in refreshing the recollection(s) of some former case associate's evidence.That's all. No worries. Have a few more Benjamin$ for your lunch on the way home, ok :cool: ? [hugs] Buh-bye!"

This, and all the Ye$-Worrie$, above, are {imo} a worry even tho' it's early days:confused:.

Just wanted to bump this forward. Old news but IMO those gouges are as fresh as the day she placed them.

He tried to silence her but I still believe she's going to have the last word.

Uh-Ohh:eek:!!
Are we seeing a freshly-scabbing arm and hand which seem to have been the focus of some medical care... but only just up to and around, fingertip-spaced puncture wounds? :confused:? So how's this...?

[NB. Where's the push-up-king's manly forearm fur :oops:?! Hair's 'clear-cut' just below the forensic, excuse me evidence.]

Careless woodsman husband:"Oh those? These? I almost-forgot about these in-the-dark-searching-for-Suzanne-tree-branch-scratches..."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Surely Suzanne would not hygienically clean and bandage her husband's lethal left forearm precisely as evident, doing so relatively mere hours of being "done with him";
... thinking in the short term(!?) it would give her a better grip o_O !!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm familiar enough with the fundamentals that have delivered us to this point to believe that, had all LE involved initially made one objective to "encourage" Barry doing a runner...;)...
...well, certainly not thinking his trial would be history just yet, but IMO he'd be back and sporting...well, you see my palette choice. :p

Last edited:
Requesting Autopsy Report. Which County? Runaround?
DBM!
Was told to contact chaffee as it was their jurisdiction.
Wierd huh?
Very curious to learn what they've discovered from Suzanne's remains.
Moo
@Lyanna.
Is ^ post saying it's weird that El P. County Med Examiner's office is referring your A-Rpt request to Chaffee County?
@steeltowngirl Getting the runaround?

El Paso Co. Coroner's office performs autopsies on a contract basis for multiple other Colorado counties.*

In Sept. 2023 when un-ID'ed remains were found in Saguache Co., the Sag. Co coroner (who IIRC is not a physician) transported remains to Col. Spgs in El P. Co for autopsy by bd - cert'ed Forensic Pathologists on staff.

El P. Co. ForPath ID'ed remains as being SM & conducted the post mortem exam and generated an autopsy report. Maybe still incomplete, w CoD & MoD still undetermined, I do not recall.

Under CO. law** w a suspicious death or one w possible crim activity, the coroner is to consult the district atty & law enforcement where the death occurred.

SM had been reported MISSING from her Chaffee Co home, where LE did extensive investigation & where ORIGINAL CRIM CHARGES re her death were filed.
IIUC per CO statute, El P would consult (and presumably provide the A-Rpt. to LE & Dist. Atty in Chaffee Co., for use in possible further investigation or prosecution. **

Soooo, imo the El P. Co's referring a request to direct the question to Chaffee County makes sense imo & is likely ordinary protocol. Maybe not so weird after all imo.

BTW per El P. Co. Coroner office website:
"Homicide autopsy reports are not released without written approval from the District Attorney’s office." ***
(W a quick search, I did not learn whether that is a policy or CO. statute, but either way, not unexpected imo).

If I am misinterpreting either post, my apologies.

* "The Coroner’s Office (EPCCO) serves El Paso County by investigating all sudden, unexpected, and non-natural deaths....
"In addition to performing 1032 autopsies on El Paso County Deaths, the office performed 408 autopsies for a fee for 23 surrounding counties."

** CO. Law.
"Section 30-10-606 - Coroner - inquiry - grounds - postmortem - jury - certificate of death"
"(f) When in the course of a coroner investigation, a death becomes suspicious or the possibility of criminal activity arises, the coroner shall immediately consult with the district attorney and law enforcement in the jurisdiction where the events that caused the death occurred."

*** *** Autopsy Report Request

In these times, in the US of A, on our civil side, imo, the trial, per se, becomes the punishment. Further, imo, this result was the plaintiff's/petitioner's/complainant's/state's objective at the onset.
With with the depth and range of our membership, packing-up sympathies, examples of cost-impoverished civil trial respondents will come to mind.

What is the likelihood that the presiding judge will award costs and all attorneys' fees to each and every BM/IE sued respondent? I'll be stunned if there' proves to be a single case.
This then compels consideration of which respondents, if any - and if so to what extent - are having their legal fees and personal expenses and losses related to trial, covered by their current/former employer(s), be these government or private sector. o_O ?!
And then there's the appellate morass around every corner. A galactic-scale legal tender black hole...

Well, it's all no more nor less than the kind of pasture pie an amoral client's manic counsel steams-up.
"If you don't like it, well, then SETTLE." [Barr's got bucks the client's trust account... riiight...] "Here take some, forget being a respondent. Oh. If we ever do see you again it will be...true...in court, but merely to assist in refreshing the recollection(s) of some former case associate's evidence.That's all. No worries. Have a few more Benjamin$ for your lunch on the way home, ok :cool: ? [hugs] Buh-bye!"

This, and all the Ye$-Worrie$, above, are {imo} a worry even tho' it's early days:confused:.
Begging your pardons, I've substituted the italicized text in the second line, above, for my original word, "respondent's", which was in error.
All I may say is that I shall try harder next time :). Oh, and
Cheers!

@Lyanna.
Is ^ post saying it's weird that El P. County Med Examiner's office is referring your A-Rpt request to Chaffee County?

El Paso Co. Coroner's office performs autopsies on a contract basis for multiple other Colorado counties.*

In Sept. 2023 when un-ID'ed remains were found in Saguache Co., the Sag. Co coroner (who IIRC is not a physician) transported remains to Col. Spgs in El P. Co for autopsy by bd - cert'ed Forensic Pathologists on staff.

El P. Co. ForPath ID'ed remains as being SM & conducted the post mortem exam and generated an autopsy report. Maybe still incomplete, w CoD & MoD still undetermined, I do not recall.

Under CO. law** w a suspicious death or one w possible crim activity, the coroner is to consult the district atty & law enforcement where the death occurred.

SM had been reported MISSING from her Chaffee Co home, where LE did extensive investigation & where ORIGINAL CRIM CHARGES re her death were filed.
IIUC per CO statute, El P would consult (and presumably provide the A-Rpt. to LE & Dist. Atty in Chaffee Co., for use in possible further investigation or prosecution. **

Soooo, imo the El P. Co's referring a request to direct the question to Chaffee County makes sense imo & is likely ordinary protocol. Maybe not so weird after all imo.

"Homicide autopsy reports are not released without written approval from the District Attorney’s office." ***
(W a quick search, I did not learn whether that is a policy or CO. statute, but either way, not unexpected imo).

* "The Coroner’s Office (EPCCO) serves El Paso County by investigating all sudden, unexpected, and non-natural deaths....
"In addition to performing 1032 autopsies on El Paso County Deaths, the office performed 408 autopsies for a fee for 23 surrounding counties."

** CO. Law.
"Section 30-10-606 - Coroner - inquiry - grounds - postmortem - jury - certificate of death"
"(f) When in the course of a coroner investigation, a death becomes suspicious or the possibility of criminal activity arises, the coroner shall immediately consult with the district attorney and law enforcement in the jurisdiction where the events that caused the death occurred."

From yr above ‘where the death occurred’. Are they saying that by referring back to Chaffee County, that Suzanne’s death occurred in Chaffee and not anywhere else? I know we know that, but how do they know that?

@Lyanna.

** CO. Law.

Agree. The runaround is El Paso telling our member to contact Chaffee (assuming they meant the ME, not the DA). They should have just told our member to contact LE in Chaffee. Or just say it won’t be released to anyone other than the DA.

I do wonder if Barry or the girls have received it. If Barry has it, and there is anything incriminating, I’m betting he’s provided it to IE to get prepared and ahead of possible charges.

Did Coroner "KNOW" Death Occurred in Chaffee Co.? Why Refer Q’s?
From yr above ‘where the death occurred’. Are they saying that by referring back to Chaffee County, that Suzanne’s death occurred in Chaffee and not anywhere else? I know we know that, but how do they know that?
@Nikynoo Thx for your post.

In many (most?) deaths,
location where body is found = "where the events that caused the death occurred"*
so coroner does not need to determine which LE agency or Dist. Atty to “consult” as CO. statute requires.* My thought: most commonly, the body is found in the coroner’s back yard, so to speak, and is transported & accompanied by info from a local county LE agency, so coroner has info about which LE agency would investigate & which DA would prosecute.

I doubt the El P. Co coroner “knows” the death occurred in Chaffee Co. Not in a BARD sense.

In this case, in May 2020 a MisPers was reported in Chaffee Co. & three yrs later MisPers remains were discovered in Moffat, ~45 min & ~ 45 min away in a different county. And the autopsy was conducted in El P. Co, a more distant county.

No link to MSM, but IIRC, Chaffee Co. sheriff office & DA communicated interest & follow up re ID of remains w Sag. Co. LE & coroner & to El P. Co. coroner's office, et al.

When remains were ID’ed as SM’s, seems likely imo that El P. Co. coroner's office would consult w Chaffee Co. LE & Dist. Atty., per statute* & presumably would provide Autopsy Report to them, as sheriff had investigated extensively & DA had filed crim charges, tho later dropped.

Seems reasonable for El P. Co. coroner to refer A-Rpt requests to Chaffee Co. officials.
^ My interp in light of what I recall about the events & in light of CO. statute.* ^ Welcoming clarification or correction.

BTW, do WE (either WS or gen pub) "know" as a BARD fact that the "events that caused the death occurred" in Chaffee Co? Some ppl might say it's not an established fact, because there's been NO TRIAL convicting the perp.

@Lyanna.

** CO. Law.

Hi :)
They're giving us the runaround - why and what purpose does it serve.
Little concerned there's communication difficulties between them, and we've seen some of that play out already with LS etc.
Don't want IE to have anything else she can throw about willy nilly

moo

Did Coroner "KNOW" Death Occurred in Chaffee Co.? Why Refer Q’s?

@Nikynoo Thx for your post.

In many (most?) deaths,
location where body is found = "where the events that caused the death occurred"*
so coroner does not need to determine which LE agency or Dist. Atty to “consult” as CO. statute requires.* My thought: most commonly, the body is found in the coroner’s back yard, so to speak, and is transported & accompanied by info from a local county LE agency, so coroner has info about which LE agency would investigate & which DA would prosecute.

I doubt the El P. Co coroner “knows” the death occurred in Chaffee Co. Not in a BARD sense.

In this case, in May 2020 a MisPers was reported in Chaffee Co. & three yrs later MisPers remains were discovered in Moffat, ~45 min & ~ 45 min away in a different county. And the autopsy was conducted in El P. Co, a more distant county.

No link to MSM, but IIRC, Chaffee Co. sheriff office & DA communicated interest & follow up re ID of remains w Sag. Co. LE & coroner & to El P. Co. coroner's office, et al.

When remains were ID’ed as SM’s, seems likely imo that El P. Co. coroner's office would consult w Chaffee Co. LE & Dist. Atty., per statute* & presumably would provide Autopsy Report to them, as sheriff had investigated extensively & DA had filed crim charges, tho later dropped.

Seems reasonable for El P. Co. coroner to refer A-Rpt requests to Chaffee Co. officials.
^ My interp in light of what I recall about the events & in light of CO. statute.* ^ Welcoming clarification or correction.

BTW, do WE (either WS or gen pub) "know" as a BARD fact that the "events that caused the death occurred" in Chaffee Co? Some ppl might say it's not an established fact, because there's been NO TRIAL convicting the perp.

Thanks for your reply. So, back to the original DAs office to charge and prosecute. Hmm, I wonder if they will wait for a new DA to be appointed before making that move? Would make sense seeing a LS is busy with other things at the moment.

Thanks for your reply. So, back to the original DAs office to charge and prosecute. Hmm, I wonder if they will wait for a new DA to be appointed before making that move? Would make sense seeing a LS is busy with other things at the moment.
@Nikynoo
"make sense seeing a LS is busy with other things at the moment"
Delay providing A-Rpt to Chaffee Co officials?

^ Tongue in cheek? ^
Sorry to be dense.

I've seen plenty of cases where depositions from civil suits wind up nailing the suspect in a criminal prosecution, but in those, they're the ones being sued. This is just weird, and it's not like Iris doesn't know this. I just wonder what the hell the end game is here.
The plaintiff's end game is to get money via settlement or verdict for their client on the grounds that he was wrongfully prosecuted. Some of the defendants may get out under summary judgment, but IMO not the DA's office.

Some of the same allegations in the civil case are also raised by the state in the complaints against the DA and assistant DA's, including not properly disclosing the DNA evidence.

The plaintiff is way closer to collecting money for their case than the state is to re-charging BM for murder...IMO.

The plaintiff's end game is to get money via settlement or verdict for their client on the grounds that he was wrongfully prosecuted. Some of the defendants may get out under summary judgment, but IMO not the DA's office.

Some of the same allegations in the civil case are also raised by the state in the complaints against the DA and assistant DA's, including not properly disclosing the DNA evidence.

The plaintiff is way closer to collecting money for their case than the state is to re-charging BM for murder...IMO.
Does Barry have to testify though? Because his mouth is the reason we know he murdered Suzanne in the first place. So I’m wondering if he has to talk once again.

Does Barry have to testify though? Because his mouth is the reason we know he murdered Suzanne in the first place. So I’m wondering if he has to talk once again.
Wouldn't it be amazing to hear Barry collected, then got recharged and spent all his money on a defense team that are beaten by a new, shiny and stellar prosecution team? Barry gets LWOP, Suzanne is finally listened to and justice is served.

*a girl can dream*

moo

Yes, he can be deposed in the civil case. Short of him admitting that he was in the area where the body was found in the relevant time frame I am not sure there would be anything uncovered by his testimony that LE did not already question him about.

They have extensively interviewed him in the past. LS thought his bumbling statements were enough. She was wrong and clueless about criminal jury trials. Now the data they used to make him look suspicious will be used to narrow the time frame further and make it impossible for him to do all he was supposedly doing and drive to Moffat to dump the body.

Again, short of evidence putting BM where the body was found or another DA who is inexperienced in criminal law and jury trials, I do not see any charges being re-filed against BM in this case. That is especially true as long as the civil case is pending...IMO.

Yes, he can be deposed in the civil case. Short of him admitting that he was in the area where the body was found in the relevant time frame I am not sure there would be anything uncovered by his testimony that LE did not already question him about.

They have extensively interviewed him in the past. LS thought his bumbling statements were enough. She was wrong and clueless about criminal jury trials. Now the data they used to make him look suspicious will be used to narrow the time frame further and make it impossible for him to do all he was supposedly doing and drive to Moffat to dump the body.

Again, short of evidence putting BM where the body was found or another DA who is inexperienced in criminal law and jury trials, I do not see any charges being re-filed against BM in this case. That is especially true as long as the civil case is pending...IMO.
It’s not bumbling statements, it’s flat out lies that are disproven by surveillance footage and digital evidence. His statements make all of that stuff more meaningful.

I mean, can you give me a reasonable explanation as to why he told the Ritters on the phone that he was at the wall with his workers when he was really at the hotel?
Is that not the perfect example of consciousness of guilt?

What’s this notion about narrowing the time window? It’s always been that 5 hour period when Barry claimed to have been sleeping, which was blown apart by truck data and cell phone activity at the latter part of window.

What we’ve never known is if his truck was used or not, as there’s no activity until Barry likely returned.

Moffat is well within the circle they talked about.

I’ll tell you what Iris will do if she hasn’t already done it. She’ll move the window and say something like Barry didn’t have the time to dump Suzanne on the way to Broomfield, which was never argued in the first place.

Then she’ll say that no digital evidence puts Barry in Moffat, which sounds like a revelation, until one remembers that we already knew that.

It’s the same type of nonsense with the DNA.

It’s not bumbling statements, it’s flat out lies that are disproven by surveillance footage and digital evidence. His statements make all of that stuff more meaningful.

I mean, can you give me a reasonable explanation as to why he told the Ritters on the phone that he was at the wall with his workers when he was really at the hotel?
Is that not the perfect example of consciousness of guilt?

What’s this notion about narrowing the time window? It’s always been that 5 hour period when Barry claimed to have been sleeping, which was blown apart by truck data and cell phone activity at the latter part of window.

What we’ve never known is if his truck was used or not, as there’s no activity until Barry likely returned.

Moffat is well within the circle they talked about.

I’ll tell you what Iris will do if she hasn’t already done it. She’ll move the window and say something like Barry didn’t have the time to dump Suzanne on the way to Broomfield, which was never argued in the first place.

Then she’ll say that no digital evidence puts Barry in Moffat, which sounds like a revelation, until one remembers that we already knew that.

It’s the same type of nonsense with the DNA.
And yet BM is a free man and not re-charged.

Meanwhile everyone involved in the investigation is being sued for wrongful prosecution and the DA and members of her team are facing serious discipline from the Bar.

Only people on the internet and LS would suggest ignoring the DNA evidence. LS may lose her law license because of this flawed theory about the DNA....because any serious criminal law practitioner would not just disregard this evidence or believe it was not relevant.

Discussing cases on the internet is way different than actually litigating them in court in an adversarial setting with a judge and legal standards.

And yet BM is a free man and not re-charged.

Meanwhile everyone involved in the investigation is being sued for wrongful prosecution and the DA and members of her team are facing serious discipline from the Bar.

Only people on the internet and LS would suggest ignoring the DNA evidence. LS may lose her law license because of this flawed theory about the DNA....because any serious criminal law practitioner would not just disregard this evidence or believe it was not relevant.

Discussing cases on the internet is way different than actually litigating them in court in an adversarial setting with a judge and legal standards.
It’s not a flawed theory. It was a degraded sample of touch DNA with very few markers, found on a vehicle unrelated to the case.

No matching DNA was found anwhere inside the vehicle, and cash and credit cards were left there.

Every one of the potential leads was followed up on after the preliminary hearing, and all of them were eliminated thanks to the respective law enforcement agencies involved with those cases.

One of those cases was incorrectly flagged as being unsolved (phoenix).

The Chicago lead was unfounded as the prostitute had falsely reported a sexual assault because she wanted to smoke crack cocaine (not sure of the logic there).

I don’t feel like digging up the third case but that one was ruled out as well.

The fact that this DNA came back to multiple different people in different states, tells you all you need to know about the quality of this DNA.

This is simply not a DNA case, and anyone trying to make it a DNA case is being disingenuous, with Iris flat out lying when she says this comes back to multiple unsolved rapes or whatever the hell it is she’s alleging.

Iris simply lucked out with this DNA being such a poor sample that it allowed her to point her finger all over the place.

It’s only relevant to those who don’t understand it.

Last edited:

One of the top prosecutors in the now-dismissed Barry Morphew murder trial said in a new court filing that he failed to speak up when he saw that his boss planned to look into domestic abuse allegations against the presiding judge in the case.

Mark Hurlbert submitted the filing on Tuesday with the state agency in charge of disciplining lawyers.

The filing was a response to recent complaints made against Hurlbert, accusing him and two other members of the Morphew prosecution team of going after former 11th Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama based on a Change.org petition started by a YouTuber.

Hurlbert told the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel that he “did not voice disapproval of DA Stanley’s plan to have an investigator interview Iris Lama because he felt that Judge Lama was biased against him.”

[…]

Nine days before trial was to begin, at a pre-trial readiness conference on April 19, 2022, Lama, the judge, granted the prosecution’s request to dismiss the case without prejudice and Barry Morphew walked out of the courthouse a free man.

Dismissed without prejudice means that the case is finished, but it can be refiled at any point. Though the case is officially classified as having gone cold, Suzanne Morphew’s remains were found last fall in a field in Moffat about 45 minutes from the family home.

To date, the results of her autopsy report have not been made public and the family has not been notified as to the results, according to Suzanne Morphew's sister, Melinda Moorman Balzer.

Hurlbert was brought into the case in July 2021, a month before the preliminary hearing. Weiner was brought into the case in November 2021 to help out in the months leading up to the trial.

A month before Lama dismissed the high-profile Morphew case without prejudice, the three top prosecutors discussed the possibility that he should recuse himself based on a theory presented by 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley.

[…]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members