Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Status
Not open for further replies.
My response won’t be popular here, but if nothing else, LS was gutsy, and willing to take that chance. Problem was she made mistakes, and her case was subsequently gutted by a snake of a defense attorney.

Recalling Stanley’s own words in 2020:

“As I have stated previously in other publications, sometimes there may not be any other leads to follow up on. If that is the case, there needs to be a decision between the District Attorney’s office, law enforcement, and the victim(s) about going forward with possible charges. If there is probable cause established to make an arrest, then an arrest should be made. The District Attorney’s office should never require a case to be wrapped up in a big, red bow in order to go forward with charges. Sometimes, the only justice that a victim gets is going to trial.”

Her management the case was a mess independent of the case worthiness or an manic defense attorney.

That is where you and I will always disagree but I admire your faith. I think it would take a new strategy for how the circumstantial presents the case should there be no new evidence but I think it would be an uphill struggle.
It’s not faith, it’s facts. To me, this is very similar to the Scott Peterson case. That one had a few big pieces of circumstantial evidence, while this one has a great deal more of that, albeit no single piece is as incriminating as the main pieces there.

Small puzzle pieces and big puzzle pieces can both form the same picture.

The case shouldn't have ridden on LS. Rogue DA, stressed department.

Take away that noise and you have a strong circumstantial case including the body and seasoned experts including Jonny Grusing. Hours and hours of expert interviewing with The Last Known Person who couldn't find a way to stop his own face from talking. Time and time again he tripped himself up.

Why lie?

He had something to hide.

That's why.

JMO

It’s not faith, it’s facts. To me, this is very similar to the Scott Peterson case. That one had a few big pieces of circumstantial evidence, while this one has a great deal more of that, albeit no single piece is as incriminating as the main pieces there.

Small puzzle pieces and big puzzle pieces can both form the same picture.
In some respects I agree on that comparison. We will see how far Project Innocence gets with the Peterson case.

My response won’t be popular here, but if nothing else, LS was gutsy, and willing to take that chance. Problem was she made mistakes, and her case was subsequently gutted by a snake of a defense attorney.

Recalling Stanley’s own words in 2020:

“As I have stated previously in other publications, sometimes there may not be any other leads to follow up on. If that is the case, there needs to be a decision between the District Attorney’s office, law enforcement, and the victim(s) about going forward with possible charges. If there is probable cause established to make an arrest, then an arrest should be made. The District Attorney’s office should never require a case to be wrapped up in a big, red bow in order to go forward with charges. Sometimes, the only justice that a victim gets is going to trial.”

And LS's lack of criminal law and jury trial experience made her believe that the Court and Youtube were one in the same. That you could prosecute a case just like you discuss a case on the internet. That flawed thinking could very well cost her a law license and a huge civil judgment against her.

It is not about big, red bows; but the rule of law, the rules of criminal procedure, and the rules of evidence. LS thought she had strong evidence and a strong case because she had little or no real criminal law experience to help her understand that her case was weak and would be subject to attack in an adverserial system. LS was being encouraged by the echo chamber that is the internet, again full of people commenting on cases who do not understand or have experinece in criminal law and jury trials.

Just because people can opine and speculate on the internet about a case does not mean there is enough evidence to actually get a conviction for murder in a court of law. It is much harder than depicted on a 2 hour episode of Dateline, etc.

This case was weak coming out of the prelim. It was even weaker on the eve of trial after the judge imposed sanctions. The best thing LS did was get the case dismissed without prejudice. The body being located where it was makes the previous case against BM even weaker unless they can somehow connect him to this location.

Short of evidence connecting BM to the burial site, the only court that we will see related to this case will involve the civil action for wrongful prosecution....IMO

And LS's lack of criminal law and jury trial experience made her believe that the Court and Youtube were one in the same. That you could prosecute a case just like you discuss a case on the internet. That flawed thinking could very well cost her a law license and a huge civil judgment against her.

It is not about big, red bows; but the rule of law, the rules of criminal procedure, and the rules of evidence. LS thought she had strong evidence and a strong case because she had little or no real criminal law experience to help her understand that her case was weak and would be subject to attack in an adverserial system. LS was being encouraged by the echo chamber that is the internet, again full of people commenting on cases who do not understand or have experinece in criminal law and jury trials.

Just because people can opine and speculate on the internet about a case does not mean there is enough evidence to actually get a conviction for murder in a court of law. It is much harder than depicted on a 2 hour episode of Dateline, etc.

This case was weak coming out of the prelim. It was even weaker on the eve of trial after the judge imposed sanctions. The best thing LS did was get the case dismissed without prejudice. The body being located where it was makes the previous case against BM even weaker unless they can somehow connect him to this location.

Short of evidence connecting BM to the burial site, the only court that we will see related to this case will involve the civil action for wrongful prosecution....IMO

“The body being located where it was makes the previous case against BM even weaker unless they can somehow connect him to this location.”

The defense was set to argue that Suzanne wasn’t even dead, and had taken off with Barry’s money.

The evidence showed a window of time that one could use to develop a search radius. Suzanne was found well within that radius. It’s where it should be.

How having a murder victim’s body makes a case weaker, is beyond me.

Not knowing which vehicle Barry used to dump her body was always a weakness. Nothing has changed in that regard.

“The body being located where it was makes the previous case against BM even weaker unless they can somehow connect him to this location.”

The defense was set to argue that Suzanne wasn’t even dead, and had taken off with Barry’s money.

The evidence showed a window of time that one could use to develop a search radius. Suzanne was found well within that radius. It’s where it should be.

Not knowing which vehicle Barry used to dump her body was always a weakness. Nothing has changed in that regard.
MOO an accomplice.

It does. Buys continued silence with a ring thrown in maybe?
I've no idea, not a narcissistic, murdering, money orientated husband, but Barry is.
Just thinking aloud, and pondering all possibilities whilst we wait for further info.

Moo

Accomplice?
Nay, I say.
With all respect, and I don't think I'm being difficult, Barry's schemes over the years to eliminate Suzanne never would have included accomplices. Never. BM ego and infallibility. QED.

Further:
Any accomplice here would have had to have been picked-up on-the-fly. This is so because Barry's hithertofore "perfect" solution - whatever it had been - just disintegrated amidst his rage and bloodlust.
So now, he's going to set about finding someone help him
- conceal his crime:
- in ways he cannot foresee;
- hasn't planned;
- making it worth this person's while,
- with a promise of "something you really could use",
- which I'll have for you "really soon"... ? ? ?
Methinks not. {Witness BM's flummoxing about trying to put his wallibi workforce together. He was a virtual rutabagao_O}. Nor would calling-in-a-favor or perhaps extorting a SalinaBarryBud be of avail. Couldn't work imo. Even a root vegetable ought to sense how mutually fatal merely asking for help could prove.

Money?
Nay again.
Not ready in the available window. Plus it's fungible, read: untraceable in our circumstances. But...

But what about that really BIG JEWEL?
Oyez!
Readily available; not fungible... nor a "dead horse", thank you very much ;).

Sensing that a woeful inability to express myself has made my overarching argument murky, I shall again try
to fill the breech..."Half a league, half a league, half a league onward..."
__________________________________________________________________________________________

This vulgar stone ... its location, its recovery...ALL extraneous IMO.
It need never be found.
OK, nice to have to close a OCD loop perhaps, but
NOT quintessential.
WE JUST NEED TO FIND SOMEONE ...ANYONE - AN INDIANA GOSSIPMONGER would do nicely for starters - someone who'd enjoy jabbering a bit. Eighth/ninth degree, rank hearsay could prove a godsend and case-breaker. To sum up - for the last time, I pray -
Either Barry still controls it, or it has moved.
Credible evidence of a single instance of the jewel's relocation
- separation from Barry's control if you will -
would be damning.

Not to put too fine a point on things, the good guys do not need the bleedin' stone :mad: I'm sorry.

I trust nothing where BM is concerned. But I have full confidence he dug that grave. He left the shovels in Bloomfield.

If he had an accomplice doing his dirty work in Moffat, the accomplice would have had the shovels. Why would an accomplice return the shovels to BM?

BM used them to bury SM, drove them all the way to Bloomfield to do unnecessary, unpermitted spadework where spadework was neither indicated nor efficacious. Just enough to get Bloomfield soil all over his Already Been Bleached shovels.

Those empty bottles of spa sanitizer? Know what else is missing from PP, besides coolers? A jug with capacity for three bottles. MOO

IMO it requires more hurdles tp fit an accomplice into BM's night than to trace a line from somewhere behind PP to Moffat, back to PP, up near Garfield, back past PP, then off to Bloomfield. Busy, busy Bee, effective all by himself.

And here I thought, all this time, the one thing he got right was hiding a body where no one could find it. Turns out, he wasn't even good at that.

JMO

And any vehicles within walking/ATVing distance.

He got to Moffat somehow.

He staged the shovels in Bloomfield. No reason to do that. Unless....
YES!
within walking distance!
Abandoned, perhaps and lying there for year but he had the wherewithal to get them going and returned....
all kinds of possibilities.
wonder whether local council removed any vehicles from those parameters anytime following her disappearance?

What do you think the defence would run now the body has been found? Would it not depend on whether there was any evidence found either on the body or with the body? If there is no evidence or that evidence has yet to be found, then would it not be the case that the case against BM could move no further? Remember where the prosecution posited that Suzanne’s body was under five foot of snow/ice in a difficult location? That shows to me that LE had no idea where BM went in those small hours of Sunday morning. The best they can do is hire someone to go through the evidence they do have and perhaps find some evidence where there are gaps. Perhaps less reliance on phone data and electronics and a bit more detecting. Is CBI still on the case or is it ‘cold’? If the case is cold, then they need to fill in those gaps in the evidence. That way, there will be a conviction.

Let’s hope that there is evidence with Suzanne and things can start moving again with an experienced prosecutor and a meticulously prepared body of evidence.

Accomplice?
Nay, I say.
With all respect, and I don't think I'm being difficult, Barry's schemes over the years to eliminate Suzanne never would have included accomplices. Never. BM ego and infallibility. QED.

Further:
Any accomplice here would have had to have been picked-up on-the-fly. This is so because Barry's hithertofore "perfect" solution - whatever it had been - just disintegrated amidst his rage and bloodlust.
So now, he's going to set about finding someone help him
- conceal his crime:
- in ways he cannot foresee;
- hasn't planned;
- making it worth this person's while,
- with a promise of "something you really could use",
- which I'll have for you "really soon"... ? ? ?
Methinks not. {Witness BM's flummoxing about trying to put his wallibi workforce together. He was a virtual rutabagao_O}. Nor would calling-in-a-favor or perhaps extorting a SalinaBarryBud be of avail. Couldn't work imo. Even a root vegetable ought to sense how mutually fatal merely asking for help could prove.

Money?
Nay again.
Not ready in the available window. Plus it's fungible, read: untraceable in our circumstances. But...

But what about that really BIG JEWEL?
Oyez!
Readily available; not fungible... nor a "dead horse", thank you very much ;).

Sensing that a woeful inability to express myself has made my overarching argument murky, I shall again try
to fill the breech..."Half a league, half a league, half a league onward..."
__________________________________________________________________________________________

This vulgar stone ... its location, its recovery...ALL extraneous IMO.
It need never be found.
OK, nice to have to close a OCD loop perhaps, but
NOT quintessential.
WE JUST NEED TO FIND SOMEONE ...ANYONE - AN INDIANA GOSSIPMONGER would do nicely for starters - someone who'd enjoy jabbering a bit. Eighth/ninth degree, rank hearsay could prove a godsend and case-breaker. To sum up - for the last time, I pray -
Either Barry still controls it, or it has moved.
Credible evidence of a single instance of the jewel's relocation
- separation from Barry's control if you will -
would be damning.

Not to put too fine a point on things, the good guys do not need the bleedin' stone :mad: I'm sorry.
Or the accomplice is dead? I think BM is too much of a controller to involve anyone else.

I think he killed in a blind rage, probably as he saw SMs WhatsApp messages with that other guy who let her down, whilst she was in the shower. This is based on the phone and its charger being missing.

What do you think the defence would run now the body has been found? Would it not depend on whether there was any evidence found either on the body or with the body? If there is no evidence or that evidence has yet to be found, then would it not be the case that the case against BM could move no further? Remember where the prosecution posited that Suzanne’s body was under five foot of snow/ice in a difficult location? That shows to me that LE had no idea where BM went in those small hours of Sunday morning. The best they can do is hire someone to go through the evidence they do have and perhaps find some evidence where there are gaps. Perhaps less reliance on phone data and electronics and a bit more detecting. Is CBI still on the case or is it ‘cold’? If the case is cold, then they need to fill in those gaps in the evidence. That way, there will be a conviction.

Let’s hope that there is evidence with Suzanne and things can start moving again with an experienced prosecutor and a meticulously prepared body of evidence.

to be fair, they never said they knew where he put the body

rather they pointed out at the prelim that he engaged in extensive staging to prevent them knowing that.

the idea they have to prove how he went to Moffat is incorrect IMO. they only need to show it was possible which it clearly was because we have that 5 hour digital black hole when Barry did not use his phone or the truck.

also SMs phone leaves the house in the 3am hour which is now more incriminating than before given Barry says she was in bed at the time.

About available vehicles:

I wonder if he removed the battery from his truck to power a nearby disabled vehicle. Owner wouldn't know or suspect.

Here's our clue: shallow grave. If we could estimate how long that took. We already have times bracketing activity at PP so we know there's a potential of roughly four hours. Subtract the grave digging and you have transit time. Moffat might have been pressing him for return time or he chose it purposefully. We're left with math. If he took regular roads, how long did it take to get there? Is there a back way? Travel-able by ATV? How fast can an ATV go?
Where there's a Barry, there's a way?⁹

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member