Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #112

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds to me like she would need to remain alive for some length of time in order for her bone marrow to absorb it. There obviously wouldn’t be any data on humans to determine how long that would be.

Grusing seemed to believe she was alive for a length of time, due to his focus on snoring.
Of course we don't know what sort of protected soft tissue there might have been. Some tissue could have been preserved, especially if it was very dry for a long period of time after her death.

But to find the exact drug they were looking for after all that time with enough confidence to call it is an amazing piece of analytical chemistry.

I would be shocked if this isn't re-charged now. All of that cell phone evidence is totally unnecessary once you have a manner of death that the suspect admitted to being skilled in the art of using, having access to, and admitted that he may have discarded after his wife's disappearance. And the needle sheath in the fresh laundry seals the deal.
As to how quickly this will happen depends (IMO) on what is in the remainder of the autopsy report.

Of course we don't know what sort of protected soft tissue there might have been. Some tissue could have been preserved, especially if it was very dry for a long period of time after her death.

But to find the exact drug they were looking for after all that time with enough confidence to call it is an amazing piece of analytical chemistry.
According to the autopsy report, there was no soft tissue found.

Thank you for posting this.

Can one of our verified experts weigh in and confirm?

JMVHO.
Yes, common in cases of bodies deposited on the surface, but it can also occur with shallow burial situations (~2 feet or less, give or take), since animals are still able to smell the byproducts of decomposition leaching out into the air as a result of the shallow depth. Canids (dogs, wolves, coyotes) and wild pigs are attracted to these odors and will dig, and human hands/feet can be disarticulated and carried away easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
No question, there will be an arrest. It's all coming together - still under investigation. moo

During a preliminary hearing in January of 2022, prosecutors with the Chaffee County DA's Office said that on the afternoon of May 9, 2020, Barry Morphew loaded a syringe for a tranquilizer dart, put his phone on airplane mode and then shot his wife with the dart. He then chased her around the house until the tranquilizer took effect, prosecutors said.

Suzanne Morphew's autopsy reveals she died by homicide

Updated: 7:45 PM MDT April 29, 2024

How long would BAM stay in a person’s system after the drug was injected or ingested?

Boscan said he was surprised the drug was detected in Suzanne Morphew’s bones at all, let alone three years after her death.

“If a person dies after being hit with a dart full of BAM, that person’s heart would stop and there would be no time for the drug to be carried through the body and absorbed through the bones. It is unclear how long a person with BAM in their system would need to remain alive for the drug to be absorbed into the bones, he said.”

This is what I was looking for. Thank you!
However, Boscan needs to say allegedly. He's already stated there are no human documentation to derive from. So, really his answer about after a human being hit with a dart full of BAM, that person’s heart would stop and there would be no time for the drug to be carried through the body and absorbed through the bones is hypothetical or his hypothesis.

The investigator on Duty Ron said for the tranquilizer to be in her bone marrow, it had to be there for awhile to show up. Could Barry have just carried her body then dumped her there at Moffat while she was dying? I’m thinking Barry enjoyed this killing.

I heard Lauren Scharf today say she was threatened by Barry and he said he would go after her after he found his wife.

BM is not just a killer, he is an idiot.

ETA: sorry for that typo.

Yes. It's possible. In my view, even likely (that she lived long enough for the anesthetics to get into her marrow/marrow chambers). The place where she was found was 50 or more miles away, Suzanne was a trooper and endured so much.

I think she was still alive when they arrived at her burial place.

Reading Barry's words now (thanks for the reminder about Lauren) is chilling.

Yes. It's possible. In my view, even likely (that she lived long enough for the anesthetics to get into her marrow/marrow chambers). The place where she was found was 50 or more miles away, Suzanne was a trooper and endured so much.

I think she was still alive when they arrived at her burial place.

Reading Barry's words now (thanks for the reminder about Lauren) is chilling.
I do as well

No question, there will be an arrest. It's all coming together - still under investigation. moo

During a preliminary hearing in January of 2022, prosecutors with the Chaffee County DA's Office said that on the afternoon of May 9, 2020, Barry Morphew loaded a syringe for a tranquilizer dart, put his phone on airplane mode and then shot his wife with the dart. He then chased her around the house until the tranquilizer took effect, prosecutors said.

Suzanne Morphew's autopsy reveals she died by homicide

Updated: 7:45 PM MDT April 29, 2024
It struck an extra nerve when I read they recovered and identified her medical port from the chemotherapy. Right femoral head used for toxicology, what an astounding medical find. Bravo to those involved!
ETA: Clarity

Last edited:
Re BAM

BAM is antagonized with a combination of naltrexone and atipamezole. We immobilized 19 adult captive wild caught black bears and, except for three bears that were euthanized immediately, bears were recovered with naltrexone and atipamezole. Tissue residues (≥0.01 ppm) for the tranquilizers butorphanol, azaperone, and medetomidine were detected in liver and muscle of all three bears euthanized on day 0 postinjection (PI). Azaperone was not detected after 1 d PI. Residue for medetomidine was detected in two bears: in the liver 3 d PI and in the kidney 6 d PI. Butorphanol was reported in three bears: in fat 5 d PI, in kidney 6 d PI, and, surprisingly, in kidney, muscle, and fat 7 d PI. MORE AT LINK.. <modsnip: copyright>

Dense alert..

Last edited by a moderator:
Add the Morphew sister who made the snotty remark to Lauren Scharf for simply doing her job.
I forgot what she actually said, but it was extremely inappropriate.
It was Marcy MacLachlan - I believe she confronted Lauren in the hallway at the court and accused her of ruining her family ( something to that effect).
Here she is in excerpts from Dateline episode

The investigator on Duty Ron said for the tranquilizer to be in her bone marrow, it had to be there for awhile to show up. Could Barry have just carried her body then dumped her there at Moffat while she was dying? I’m thinking Barry enjoyed this killing.

I heard Lauren Scharf today say she was threatened by Barry and he said he would go after her after he found his wife.

Bbm.
Re. the bolded : Good lord, what a thing to say to someone who was trying to get the news out about Suzanne.
Smh.

I was wondering ... if the dart needle (if shot from a gun or other device ?) had maybe penetrated bone and from there was able to spread to her other bones/marrow ?
Sounds excruciatingly painful !
Sorry to type this ; but I'm imagining Suzanne losing consciousness but still struggling to get behind a locked door from her killer.
Similar to a dream where you're trying to run desperately but can only move slowly ?
Ugh.
Omo.

I hope Barry is arrested.
I was extremely confident he’d be recharged in light of Suzanne’s body being found, but now it’s absolutely guaranteed. They can prove she is dead, and prove their theory that Barry tranquillized her.

I just wish I could have seen the reaction to this news by him, Iris, and his civil case attorneys. Even I’m still in shock from yesterday’s news. I just never imagined they’d find something that seals the case against him.

This part right here makes me angry: "If a person dies after being hit with a dart full of BAM, that person’s heart would stop and there would be no time for the drug to be carried through the body and absorbed through the bones. It is unclear how long a person with BAM in their system would need to remain alive for the drug to be absorbed into the bones, he said."
Well, I know no human experiments have been conducted but possibly Barry can be the first.

I am curious if they could tell how much was in her bone marrow. Did the test tell the amount or just yes no for presence of the chemicals?

I am also curious if this is used on a human would the human remember what happened? Would they feel off and lay down and "sleep" for a while then wake up groggy and confused or would they remember exactly what happened prior to that?

Is it possible he shot her as soon as he got home at 2:43 or so and then she was out for a while and he was rummaging around in her things getting more and more angry about what he was seeing. Then he at some point gives her more or takes her drugged to the burial location and strangles her there.

If he had used this tranquilizer on her before would that be something she remembered?

Could it be put in food or a drink and someone not know it? Would it only work if it's injected?

I was extremely confident he’d be recharged in light of Suzanne’s body being found, but now it’s absolutely guaranteed. They can prove she is dead, and prove their theory that Barry tranquillized her.

I just wish I could have seen the reaction to this news by him, Iris, and his civil case attorneys. Even I’m still in shock from yesterday’s news. I just never imagined they’d find something that seals the case against him.
100% agree! ^^^^

The drug he admitted to having, in her system… just like they said. What are the odds…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dontstayin