Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #112

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was extremely confident he’d be recharged in light of Suzanne’s body being found, but now it’s absolutely guaranteed. They can prove she is dead, and prove their theory that Barry tranquillized her.

I just wish I could have seen the reaction to this news by him, Iris, and his civil case attorneys. Even I’m still in shock from yesterday’s news. I just never imagined they’d find something that seals the case against him.
I wish I could see the faces of the investigators that worked so hard to get this guy, when they found out. It must feel like Christmas morning when your 5 years old!

I am curious if they could tell how much was in her bone marrow. Did the test tell the amount or just yes no for presence of the chemicals?

I am also curious if this is used on a human would the human remember what happened? Would they feel off and lay down and "sleep" for a while then wake up groggy and confused or would they remember exactly what happened prior to that?

Is it possible he shot her as soon as he got home at 2:43 or so and then she was out for a while and he was rummaging around in her things getting more and more angry about what he was seeing. Then he at some point gives her more or takes her drugged to the burial location and strangles her there.

If he had used this tranquilizer on her before would that be something she remembered?

Could it be put in food or a drink and someone not know it? Would it only work if it's injected?
Considering the clothing they found I think she was alive, but barely and BM drove with her hoodie up and balaclava on. (pure speculation on my part)

I wondered about the needle penetrating bone as well. I also hadn't thought about ingesting it. In coffee perhaps? We know she didn't join him for the "steak they split before making love" as BM claimed on the 9th.

So tragic, all of it.

ETA: date of BM's claims.

Considering the clothing they found I think she was alive, but barely and BM drove with her hoodie up and balaclava on. (pure speculation on my part)

I wondered about the needle penetrating bone as well. I also hadn't thought about ingesting it. In coffee perhaps? We know she didn't join him for the "steak they split before making love".

So tragic, all of it.
Immensely tragic, yes.

Not sure about possible ingestion, maybe our scientists can speak to that. I tend to lean toward a short, explosive chase/confrontation that involved a dart.

Also, trying to weave in the time of the physical altercation when IMO the nail marks on Bury were made.

Last edited:
Yes. And trying to weave in the time of the physical altercation when IMO the nail marks on Bury were made.
Does anyone recollect if BM is right or left handed? I know in the interview with TD he had his one hand in his pocket for almost the entirety of it.

I also still wonder what the emerging from the river wet, red and frantic was. Will we ever know?

Immensely tragic, yes.

Not sure about possible ingestion, maybe our scientists can speak to that. I tend to lean toward a short, explosive confrontation that involved a needle.

Also, trying to weave in the time of the physical altercation when IMO the nail marks on Bury were made.
I think it had to be somehow fast. She wasn't able to get to her phone to call for help.

In light of this new evidence, I sure hope ANY of his friends that supported him, but might have had a thought in their mind somewhere saying "what if" will really think if what they questioned might actually be something important.

Did he have access to any other vehicles. Maybe right down the street. Did any of them see odd behavior from him in the weeks after Suzanne went missing. I can think of 3 or 4 that supported him that I do think likely saw odd behavior. Maybe they thought it was a grieving man or because LE focused on him, but maybe it wasn't that at all and it was because he killed Suzanne.

I'm not going to hold my breath about an impending arrest warrant just yet. There is still too much unknown.

I've been scouring the bowels of the net seeking timeline for post mortem appearance of BAM in bone marrow...

I can't find any studies but that is not to say they don't exist.

an easy way out for BM would be to suggest that she pricked her finger with a used needle while cleaning up after him at some point.. depending upon quantities found..
Another is that he had previously hit her with a dart accidentally in the near or distant past..

I see too many exits depending upon quantities found and what they show about original dose administered and time frame to death.

Nothing is metabolised post mortem because those processes die when the body dies.

I agree with @MassGuy that her snoring is indicative of a dose administered to sedate yet not kill.
Duty Ron is not a pathologist.

Drugs created for IM SC or Iv administration are not effective if ingested orally in general.

I think it's possible that other drugs were also used but didn't leave traces.

I think it's possible he shot her in the grave.

If that is true, she would not have received a lethal dose straight away..

Also possible that he darted her several more times in that grave.

Just not holding my breath, we have minimal info..

Pathologists will likely differ.

I console myself that Iris is probably breaking what's left of her brain too trying to find outs for her beloved client..

It's not home and dry unless the the test results are far more damning than the report we received.

JMO

Does anyone recollect if BM is right or left handed? I know in the interview with TD he had his one hand in his pocket for almost the entirety of it.

I also still wonder what the emerging from the river wet, red and frantic was. Will we ever know?
possibly chucked her phone in there and then had frantic episode searching for it?

His baseball reference page says that he batted and threw right handed, so it’s a safe bet he is right handed.

I have no opinion on the river as it really doesn’t fit into an obvious scenario involving this crime.

I hoped when this autopsy came back we would hear Suzanne speaking from the grave. And we did! Anybody else beyond pumped despite the circumstances that this has been tied up with a neat little bow? Whats that you say, IRIS? Maybe a rancher or hunter who used these tranquilizers abducted and murdered Suzanne? Sounds like a guy we all know!

The GPS data is damning. The fact that we have no proof of life for Suzanne after Saturday yet Barry is claiming she "disappeared" on Sunday. All his attorneys can do is point to Sunday and say "there's no GPS showing he went that direction on Sunday" what about Saturday? What was Barry actually doing after he left the beach job I think on Saturday afternoon to go do hiking or biking and make the wife happy according to the coworker? I might be misremembering the exact details its been awhile. But the tranquilizers coupled with the dart cap in the laundry is the nail in the coffin and Suzanne will have justice served.

Anybody else think Barry pulls a Scott Peterson, dyes his hair and makes a run for the border? I think its better than 50/50 odds on that.

Nearly four years after Suzanne Morphew disappeared from her Chaffee County home, the discovery that she died with animal tranquilizers in her body has refocused attention on her husband’s use of such tranquilizers — an issue that has been woven into the investigation from the beginning.

During a search of the Morphews’ home after Suzanne’s 2020 disappearance, law enforcement officials reported finding a tranquilizer dart gun, empty darts and a needle used to inject tranquilizer chemicals into the darts, according to previous court testimony. They also found a cap used to cover the injecting needle in the clothes dryer at the house, along with bedsheets and clothes.

Why did Barry Morphew say he had tranquilizer darts in his house?​

Barry Morphew first told investigators on May 28, 2020, that he kept darts in his home in order to tranquilize deer, transport the animals and sell them, though he said he’d only done so in Indiana, not in Colorado.

-Months later, in March 2021, Morphew told investigators he used the darts to shoot and tranquilize deer so that he could cut off their antlers, and said that he might have tranquilized two deer at his home in Colorado in late April. He said authorities would find spent darts around his property.

-In April 2021, Morphew told investigators that he uses what’s known as the BAM formulation — a mixture of the three drugs found in Suzanne Morphew’s bones — to sedate deer. He told investigators he bought the chemicals in Indiana and kept them on his workbench in vials. He said he mixed the chemicals into darts himself, rather than using a licensed veterinarian, according to the affidavit.

-When investigators asked whether he could mix the tranquilizer without help from anyone, he said, “Yeah, absolutely.”

-
An investigator asked Morphew in April 2021 whether he might have thrown those tranquilizers away in one of the five “trash runs” he made in and around Broomfield on May 10, 2020, the day his wife was reported missing.

“Could’ve been,” Morphew said.

-

What did Barry Morphew say about the tranquilizer needle cap found in the laundry?​

Barry Morphew admitted to investigators in March 2021 that it looked “a little suspicious” that a tranquilizer needle cap was found with bed sheets in the dryer.

“Because it looks like if I did something, and ripped the sheet, and got blood on them and ripped ’em off and washed ’em — to me, lookin’ at it through a detective’s eyes, that would look a little suspicious,” he said.

-Are there any human uses for BAM?​

No.

-How long would BAM stay in a person’s system after the drug was injected or ingested?​

Boscan said he was surprised the drug was detected in Suzanne Morphew’s bones at all, let alone three years after her death.

If a person dies after being hit with a dart full of BAM, that person’s heart would stop and there would be no time for the drug to be carried through the body and absorbed through the bones. It is unclear how long a person with BAM in their system would need to remain alive for the drug to be absorbed into the bones, he said.
Bones receive about 5-10% of cardiac output. If she lived 2 minutes after the lethal injection the heart would be pumping that murderous jab of BAM through the body and bones at the volume that her terrified heart could pump. I am guessing she initially would have had a significant heart rate as he was chasing her everywhere and she was fighting for her life. Cardiac output in humans is generally 5-6 liters per minute at-rest to more than 35 liters per minute during exercise. IMO there was plenty of time for BAM to circulate to her bones.

Is her final ping consistent with the creek? Maybe he chucked it down the hill aiming for water as he headed out of town.

Grew increasingly barrynoid about what LE did and didn't know so polar plunged in search of her phone in the area where he'd pitched it?

Bones receive about 5-10% of cardiac output. If she lived 2 minutes after the lethal injection the heart would be pumping that murderous jab of BAM through the body and bones at the volume that her terrified heart could pump. I am guessing she initially would have had a significant heart rate as he was chasing her everywhere and she was fighting for her life. Cardiac output in humans is generally 5-6 liters per minute at-rest to more than 35 liters per minute during exercise. IMO there was plenty of time for BAM to circulate to her bones.
Yeah, I mean, there’s no doubt this stuff made it into her bone marrow. My question is if this can offer some insight in regards to how long she would have lived after being tranquilized.

Because if we’re talking about something like hours, then that would explain why cadaver dogs didn’t hit on any of the vehicles.

Regardless, this whole thing may look a little bit different depending on that time period.

He wouldn’t be able to tell you what he thinks without first consulting IE. THEN, if his history in relation to this case is a guide, he’d repeat what she claimed verbatim.
IMO, I so agree. I think BM is going to have an awfully hard time remembering, verbatim, all of the stories he has told, years ago, to Agent Grusing, the Public and contained in the AA.
I sense a lot of "I do not recall" coming.

Nice Judicial Summary of Dates and Rulings.

JMO

I'm not going to hold my breath about an impending arrest warrant just yet. There is still too much unknown.

I've been scouring the bowels of the net seeking timeline for post mortem appearance of BAM in bone marrow...

I can't find any studies but that is not to say they don't exist.

an easy way out for BM would be to suggest that she pricked her finger with a used needle while cleaning up after him at some point.. depending upon quantities found..
Another is that he had previously hit her with a dart accidentally in the near or distant past..

I see too many exits depending upon quantities found and what they show about original dose administered and time frame to death.

Nothing is metabolised post mortem because those processes die when the body dies.

I agree with @MassGuy that her snoring is indicative of a dose administered to sedate yet not kill.
Duty Ron is not a pathologist.

Drugs created for IM SC or Iv administration are not effective if ingested orally in general.

I think it's possible that other drugs were also used but didn't leave traces.

I think it's possible he shot her in the grave.

If that is true, she would not have received a lethal dose straight away..

Also possible that he darted her several more times in that grave.

Just not holding my breath, we have minimal info..

Pathologists will likely differ.

I console myself that Iris is probably breaking what's left of her brain too trying to find outs for her beloved client..

It's not home and dry unless the the test results are far more damning than the report we received.

JMO
There is no way out for Barry. Period.

Now that we know he tranquilized her, now that we know he barried her in Moffat, now that we know he barely barried her, how does this confirmation inform us, regarding our other question marks?

The left turn, 12 miles just to leave the helmet close to home?

The cadaver dog hits on the Bobcat and trailer

His admission of darts in the yard/house/breezeway

The reddish substance on a closet door frame (could that be BAM from a dart that missed Suzanne and lodged into wood instead?)

His backing up the truck.... was it simply to offload the trailer and Bobcat? Was it to access that bay so he could drive the older RR?

Did SD and her fiancé actually see a strange vehicle? Seems too coincidental/sketchy...

The swan dive. What was that all about? Adrenaline drop?

What else?

He covered a lot of ground in those 48 hours.

I hope the trial feels like a cast of betrayal for Barry, all the folks he believed he could buffalo come home to expose his lies.

There'd be some justice in that.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members