Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bobcat has its own telematics. The defence filed them as an exhibit at the prelim - which is a big hint the bobcat wasn't used.

This is why LE originally thought she might have been buried at the jobsite. They know everywhere the bobcat was active.

my 02c

I do wonder if Suzanne did that or did Barry? We have heard that there was no plan for anyone to stay that night so was Suzanne washing those sheets or was Barry washing them because he had put Suzanne on that bed when he tranqed her?
Iirc changing linens was on her to do list. (Perhaps she had help writing it.)

I have wondered if Barrry needed to replace a set of sheets fast. And ran out of time.

I recall him saying it made him look bad, he just didn't elaborate.

Whose sheets were on Suzanne's bed? Whose sheets were in the wash? Same size beds?

Those that might know the answer, bet Barry labored to keep them from seeing any of it.

In any event, I lean toward Suzanne washing the sheets. Because Barry had been sleeping in the daughter's bed.

He wasn't going to volunteer that. Perfect marriage and all.

JMO

Last edited:
I think he wanted to use his bobcat. I think maybe that errand just before he arrived home and killed her, was him trying to do something. Maybe he was going to use the bobcat to dig a hole. I think he tried to do something with the truck telematics to see if it would work.. (maybe tried to delete data to see if he could drive the truck and reset it back to a previous point) and it didn't so he decided not to use his truck and if he can't use his truck, he can't pull the bobcat. So he had to come up with something else.

The more I think about those that supported him AFTER Suzanne was gone.. I wonder did he have access to any vehicles in his little neighborhood. I recall Sho having some connection to the area also. Was it her boyfriend or husband or something like that that lived close by?

I keep thinking about the jobsite he was working on where a woman called in that she heard machines. Maybe he did that for some reason. Was he digging up some dirt from that site to load up on his trailer to use to bury her? LE checked it for her body, but what if he was there, but it wasn't to bury her there, but for some other reason? We know the Bobcat data, but did he have any other equipment at that job site? Was there something else there he could dig with?
Yeah, I think the most likely explanation is that he thought about using his bobcat, which is why all those cadaver dogs hit on it. He then pivoted to grabbing some equipment from the job site, but maybe he was spotted or realized his plan wouldn't work. That also explains why he may have panicked, and decided to bury her by hand as a last resort.

This all makes perfect sense if he was able to borrow another vehicle, but I'm bothered by communication records not proving that. I would think they would have checked the neighborhood for vehicles he might have used, but a lot of time would likely have passed by the time they realized his truck didn't have any evidence.

This is the truck data.

I might be missing something. I was reading the tweets from the preliminary hearing that were posted earlier in this thread. It mentions Barry's phone heading toward the location of where her bike was found and then it says his phone was back at the house at 4:31am.

His truck doesn't move though. What vehicle did he use to drive and dump the bike? Maybe the same one he used to dump her body?

Just checking in, assuming no movement on an arrest that we know of?

No sign of Felony Friday, yet.

I think we are weeks, if not months, away from an arrest.

However, I do very much expect that BM will be under continuous surveillance to make sure he does not skip the country. He seems very much like the type to think he can get away with living in Mexico, Panama, or other foreign country without being found.

Yeah, I think the most likely explanation is that he thought about using his bobcat, which is why all those cadaver dogs hit on it. He then pivoted to grabbing some equipment from the job site, but maybe he was spotted or realized his plan wouldn't work. That also explains why he may have panicked, and decided to bury her by hand as a last resort.

This all makes perfect sense if he was able to borrow another vehicle, but I'm bothered by communication records not proving that. I would think they would have checked the neighborhood for vehicles he might have used, but a lot of time would likely have passed by the time they realized his truck didn't have any evidence.

I also wonder if it is not a hell of a risk driving 45+ mins outbound with a body on board in a borrowed car? Is it not easier to take the RR he owned?

My guess is we'll never quite know how he did this part - but he was gone for quite some time in the late evening until the early hours of the morning

02c

I also wonder if it is not a hell of a risk driving 45+ mins outbound with a body on board in a borrowed car? Is it not easier to take the RR he owned?

My guess is we'll never quite know how he did this part - but he was gone for quite some time in the late evening until the early hours of the morning
Yup, I do think we'll likely never know. It would be easier to take his daughter's RR, as that one didn't have telematics. I'm bothered by the lack of a dog hit, but maybe there's an explanation for that.

I don't want to suggest anyone helped him knowingly and that is not my intent so I want to say that first.

If the neighbors that allowed him to stay at their house when he was out on bail had a vehicle sitting around?? I recall they did not live in that house, but used it as an air B&B and occasionally stayed there themselves. Did they have any vehicles there for maybe when they flew in to stay? I think I read that Barry might have helped mow for them or something like that. Maybe he had access to a vehicle that way? I also know his new girlfriend was associated with the area so did he have access in any way to a vehicle she might have owned? Again these people may not have even knew he used it, but if he had access or had ever used it, had a spare key or knew where one was, is it possible he used one of those?

I will admit that I haven't been able to keep up with this case (and several others) due to life circumstances, but now that SM has been found and the cause of death seems so obviously to be that she was killed by her husband IMO (who had a dart in his pants pocket in the dryer (please correct me if I'm wrong) why do I not see arrest at the top of the page?

This is the truck data.

I might be missing something. I was reading the tweets from the preliminary hearing that were posted earlier in this thread. It mentions Barry's phone heading toward the location of where her bike was found and then it says his phone was back at the house at 4:31am.

His truck doesn't move though. What vehicle did he use to drive and dump the bike? Maybe the same one he used to dump her body?

Exactly @justrush!

These are my personal notes of Grusing's testimony at the prelim (where he parrots in CAST)

1. Telematics of truck in driveway 3.25am-3.52am. Both phones at home. i.e. triple corroboration.

2. 3.58-4.07 Grusing plots BMs phone away from home. It moves straight to the intersection of 225/50 near where bike is found.

3. SMs phone last registers signals quite a way from the home in an arc as if it was struggling to get a good connection. This is around 4.10. Last one around 4.22.

4. 4.31am - BM's phone is back home, in airplane mode

As you point out, both phones appear to be away from home, but the truck is in the driveway. SMs phone never reappears at home - even though the network positioned it there all day

Above is my opinion only.

The bobcat has its own telematics. The defence filed them as an exhibit at the prelim - which is a big hint the bobcat wasn't used.

This is why LE originally thought she might have been buried at the jobsite. They know everywhere the bobcat was active.

my 02c

This is the defense exhibit for the Bobcat data.

That very last entry really bothers me.

Look at the other data points and not one single other time does the " Message Type" list Other.

2 minutes after he shut down the Bobcat another message is registered that is labeled Other.

Did he remove the SIM card from that Bobcat?

Without the SIM card would the Bobcat register what it was doing, where it was located and what time?

I agree - there is no staging within the gravesite - the shallow grave is the staging (conceal the body). This is the first time we've got to see what evidence he tried to dispose of.

I am kind of surprised he took her so far away. As you allude to, he seemingly had better options at hand.

My opinion only
^^RBUBM

No truer words! And let me say it's mind boggling:

I just spent two hours scrolling the roads, mile by mile, from Puma Path Rd (Maysville) to Poncha Springs (the Poncha Market), about 10 miles via US-50E.

The Poncha Market is at the junction of Hwy 50 and US Hwy-285.

Entering US Hwy-285 S, it's about 26 miles before you reach Co-17. If you stay on Hwy 285, the road veers west to the town of Saguache but if you continue southbound, you are now traveling on CO-17. From where you hit CO-17, the town of Moffat is about another 20 miles south.

Moffat is much larger than imagined! I found Dollar General, a High School, Diner, Dispensary(s), Moffat Baptist Church, and even an auto sales lot. IMO, Moffat appears to be more of a community as compared to Maysville. In the center of Moffat you also find what appears to be a better traveled Road T which extends both east and west of CO-17. Road T east leads to the town of Crestone (shown on BM's telematic defense exhibit).

MP 103 (CO-17 & Road R), where SM's remains were recovered, is less than 2 miles south of the town center.

The million dollar question is why here? Why dump SM just west of CO-17 on Road R?

BM had 40 miles of ravines, ditches, sagebrush, US Forest Rd, etc. to deposit SM. It just doesn't follow that he'd bury SM walking distance to a Dollar General Store!

Was BM trying to make a statement burying SM so close to the market place of legal Dispensaries and growers?

I'm beginning to think BM was familiar with this area where he was comfortable driving to the spot with an incapacitated if not already deceased SM.

Or did BM hand off SM's body to another who chose this burial location? Maybe this can account for the $70K allegedly missing from the safe?

I never before believed BM had help but after virtually traveling these roads, I'm not so sure. :confused:

I don't want to suggest anyone helped him knowingly and that is not my intent so I want to say that first.

If the neighbors that allowed him to stay at their house when he was out on bail had a vehicle sitting around?? I recall they did not live in that house, but used it as an air B&B and occasionally stayed there themselves. Did they have any vehicles there for maybe when they flew in to stay? I think I read that Barry might have helped mow for them or something like that. Maybe he had access to a vehicle that way? I also know his new girlfriend was associated with the area so did he have access in any way to a vehicle she might have owned? Again these people may not have even knew he used it, but if he had access or had ever used it, had a spare key or knew where one was, is it possible he used one of those?
If a neighbor had a long dead vehicle .... maybe he used the battery from his own truck. Might that explain the monkeying that showed up on the report?

This is the truck data.

The bike was very close to their house. He likely walked it.

I do wonder if Suzanne did that or did Barry? We have heard that there was no plan for anyone to stay that night so was Suzanne washing those sheets or was Barry washing them because he had put Suzanne on that bed when he tranqed her?

Given the "Mal's sheets" was specifically written on SM's to-do-list, I believe SM laundered the sheets.

Although it was reported there were no expected guests, I believe SM was hopeful her daughters and roommate would arrive on Sunday, Mother's Day, and surprise her. Same with SM asking BM to pick-up hot tub stuff. I think SM wanted to be prepared for her beloved travelers. JMO

I think he didn't have helped by virtually of the shovels. He used them, he drove them to Broomfield where I believe he used them to coat them dirt and gravel from Broomfield, not Moffat.

But still, why there?

Perhaps he was aware of it in a legendary way. Boneyard. Misunderstanding the nomenclature.

Did he arrive there by a direct or indirect route?

It had to be well after midnight... and closing in on twelve hours with a dead body. Cadaverine threshold.

Two miles out from the Dollar General and city proper, could he see.city lights so he didn't proceed further?

Underestimated how hard it would be to dig there? Couldn't risk the extra minutes to go deeper? He must have left there at about 2:30... definite cadaverine window. If he returned home with a cooler and set it on the Bobcat, moved it to the trailer, that would account for the dog hits.

Wonder if he tried to bleach a Yeti.... succeeded only in bleaching himself and simply pitched the cooler at the first opportunity.

Likely there are additional steps he took that corresponded to his scrambled thinking. Like swapping SIM cards. Maybe had nothing to do with Moffat but everything to do with the beach site, which he abandoned.

Maybe he was going to chuck Suzanne's phone with her helmet, then reconsidered. Maybe he did something up near Garfield or maybe he just was going to.

His brain had to be absolutely addled.

But then, maybe that's its natural state.

JMO

Given the "Mal's sheets" was specifically written on SM's to-do-list, I believe SM laundered the sheets.

Although it was reported there were no expected guests, I believe SM was hopeful her daughters and roommate would arrive on Sunday, Mother's Day, and surprise her. Same with SM asking BM to pick-up hot tub stuff. I think SM wanted to be prepared for her beloved travelers. JMO
$64,000 question -- where had Barry been sleeping those last nights, weeks, months?

I think that's why she was changing the sheets. It was MM1's bed/room/bedding, not Barry's and she wanted to reclaim it as such. I would.

Jmo

This is the truck data.

I personally wouldn’t rely on phone movement in and around that house location as it’s too easy for defense to counter with the unreliability in remote mountainous regions… the bike in the ravine was close enough it could have been ridden or walked to that point on the road where it went over the edge in my opinion.

Sheets in the wash establishes time of death in a sense.

Suzanne was murdered between washer and dryer.

She didn't live long enough to remake that bed.

And Barry doesn't know how.
not sure about that at all..
Her friend was interviewed on the Nancy Grace thingy last night and it struck her hard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodfish