Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really fires me up:

The autopsy report said sedatives and tranquilizers were found in Suzanne's bones. Lawyers for Barry Morphew told 9NEWS that caffeine was also found in her body. Her biking clothes were found with her remains, according to Barry's attorney and the autopsy report.

Look how Iris and her cohorts were able to control the narrative from the outset here. Her biking clothes were not found, and the autopsy report does not confirm her biking clothes were found. Those shorts may be used for biking, but there's no "light blue outfit" like Barry described to police. And there are no biking photos of Suzanne in a "Crested Butte Hoodie," which was found. There are photos of Suzanne wearing this hoodie inside though, while making breakfast with Barry's mom in 2018.
IMG_7410.jpeg

So not only do we have to deal with every story beginning with ..."who disappeared while on a bike ride," but we now have to contend with her being "found in biking clothes."

This really fires me up:

The autopsy report said sedatives and tranquilizers were found in Suzanne's bones. Lawyers for Barry Morphew told 9NEWS that caffeine was also found in her body. Her biking clothes were found with her remains, according to Barry's attorney and the autopsy report.

Look how Iris and her cohorts were able to control the narrative from the outset here. Her biking clothes were not found, and the autopsy report does not confirm her biking clothes were found. Those shorts may be used for biking, but there's no "light blue outfit" like Barry described to police. And there are no biking photos of Suzanne in a "Crested Butte Hoodie," which was found. There are photos of Suzanne wearing this hoodie inside though, while making breakfast with Barry's mom in 2018.
View attachment 501526

So not only do we have to deal with every story beginning with ..."who disappeared while on a bike ride," but we now have to contend with her being "found in biking clothes."

From the photo are we to believe she prepares breakfast in her "biking clothes"? (or does she bike in her egg-scrambling clothes).

You are. Her phone would have been incredibly valuable, which is why Barry made it disappear. Personally, I think Barry chucked it in a dumpster in Broomfield. As for the ring, it was never found. It doesn't prove anything though, as scavengers could have taken it with her fingers, or the "random abductor, could have removed it in that scenario, the fact that he didn't take the cash or credit cards in her vehicle, notwithstanding.

I'm sure Barry removed it and had it melted or something.
Melter champion..

This really fires me up:

View attachment 501526

BM stated in the AA 'she always wore a helmet' yet 'biking' clothes found...'hoodie' ....seriously hoodie? biking clothes... anyone got a hoodie over a biking helmet? she always wore a wind breaker.... smh,,,400 tours... 200 mile radius...2 steaks. ... 1 steak ... 1 plate...2 plates... 85 chipmunks, 2 deer sawed horns...smh

Last edited:
BM stated in the AA 'she always wore a helmet' yet 'biking' clothes found...'hoodie' ....seriously hoodie? biking clothes... anyone got a hoodie over a biking helmet? she always wore a wind breaker.... smh,,,400 tours... 200 mile radius...2 steaks. ... 1 steak ... 1 plate...2 plates... 85 chipmunks, 2 deer sawed horns...smh
Someone needs to put Iris or Barry's civil lawyer on the spot, when they mention Suzanne being found wearing biking clothes:

"So, the light blue biking outfit Barry described Suzanne typically wearing, it was found?"

"Her body was intact enough that investigators could determine she was actually wearing the clothes?"

"This caffeine found in her toxicology. Tests proved it was coffee?"

"Caffeine stays in your system for many hours. How was the autopsy able to prove that it was consumed that morning?"

BM alleges he was deprived of his civil right under the US Constitution and the Colorado State Constitution, and in a Civil Suit filed last May, seeks $15M in damages, and the return of his seized property.

While BM's Complaint at more than 180 pages raised a multitude of grievances about how the investigation into SM's disappearance unfolded, IMO, the core of the Complaint is that the Arrest Affidavit was false and misleading.

Following BM's allegations, each of the defendants responded to the Complaint with Motions to Dismiss-- requesting the Court dismiss BM's
§1983 claims for failing to to state any plausible claims for constitutional violations, and that the defendants are entitled to qualified immunity.

In addition, several defendants also challenged the state-law claims because they are not “peace officer” under Colo. §13-21-131(1).

While the Court granted BM an extension to respond to the defendants Motions to Dismiss, and he's still working on them, as of today, BM has voluntarily dismissed his claims against the FBI Agents (Grusing and Harris), and Chaffee County Sheriff's Sergeant Hysjulien.

I'm not certain of the understanding here about BM Civil Suit. For clarification purposes, please find the the 13 claims he's made in support of his money grab:

V. STATEMENT OF CLAIMS FOR RELIEF

CLAIM ONE:
42 U.S.C. § 1983 and Bivens16 Malicious Prosecution and unlawful detention

Defendant Officers, Defendant Prosecutors, Defendant FBI Agents, and Defendants Cahill, Duge, Rogers, Graham, Koback, and Lewis

CLAIM TWO: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 Due Process and Bivens– Fabrication of Evidence

Defendants Walker, Cahill, Graham, Rohrich Defendant Prosecutors, Defendant FBI Agents

CLAIM THREE: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 Due Process and Bivens– Franks Claim

Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit Defendant Walker, Defendant Prosecutors Stanley and Lindsey, Defendant CBI Agent Cahill, Defendant Officers Rohrich, Spezze, and Graham, Defendant FBI Agents Grusing and Harris

CLAIM FOUR: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and Bivens– Conspiracy

All Defendants

CLAIM FIVE: 42 U.S.C. § 1983– Due Process – Unlawful retention of property

Defendants Spezze, Stanley, Hurlbert, and the CCSD

CLAIM SIX: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and Bivens– Failure to Intervene

All Defendants

CLAIM SEVEN: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and Bivens– Reckless Investigation –

Defendants CCSD, Defendant Officers, Defendant CBI Agents Cahill, Duge, Rogers, Graham, Koback, Defendant FBI Agents, and Defendant Prosecutors

CLAIM EIGHT: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 – Monell- Final Policymakers, Ratification, Unconstitutional Official Policy and Failure to Supervise and Train

Against Chaffee County, Board of County Commissioners of Chaffee County, CCSD, Defendant Stanley acting in her official capacity, and Defendant Spezze acting in his official capacity

STATE LAW CLAIMS

CLAIM NINE: Malicious Prosecution (state law)Colo. Rev. Stat. § 13-21-131 – Violation of Colo. Const. Art. II, Section 7 (Unlawful Seizure), Section 25 (due process), Section 3 (inalienable rights).

Defendant Officers, Defendant Prosecutors, and Defendants Cahill, Duge, Rogers, Graham, Koback, and Lewis

CLAIM TEN: Fabrication of Evidence Colo. Rev. Stat. § 13-21-131 – Violation of Colo. Const. Art. II, Section 7 (Unlawful Seizure), Section 25 (due process), Section 3 (inalienable rights)

Defendants Officers, CBI Agents and Defendant Prosecutors

CLAIM ELEVEN: False and Misleading Information in an Arrest Warrant Affidavit and Omission and Concealment of Exculpatory Information (state law)

Colo. Rev. Stat. § 13-21-131 – Violation of Colo. Const. Art. II, Section 7 (Unlawful Seizure), Section 25 (due process), Section 3 (inalienable rights)

Defendant Walker, Defendant Prosecutors Stanley and Lindsey, Defendant CBI Agent Cahill, Defendant Officers Rohrich, Spezze, and Graham

CLAIM TWELVE: Conspiracy (state law) Colo. Rev. Stat. § 13-21-131 – Violation of Colo. Const. Art. II, Section 7 (Unlawful Seizure), Section 25 (due process), Section 3 (inalienable rights)

Defendants CCSD, Defendant Officers, Defendant CBI Agents, Defendant Prosecutors

CLAIM THIRTEEN: Unlawful deprivation of property (state law) Colo. Rev. Stat. § 13-21-131 – Violation of Colo. Const. Art. II, Section 7 (Unlawful Seizure), Section 25 (due process), Section 3 (inalienable rights)

Defendants Spezze, Stanley, Hurlbert, and the CCSD

VI. REQUEST FOR RELIEF

A. Compensatory and punitive damages, including damages for emotional distress, humiliation, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of future business earnings, and other pain and suffering on all claims allowed by law in the amounts detailed below or such greater amount as may be set by a jury;

B. Economic losses on all claims allowed by law in the amounts detailed below or such greater amount as may be set by a jury;

C. Special damages and/or injunctive relief, including but not limited to, requiring that the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Department have required training and oversight of the Sheriff and the Deputies and other personnel so as to prevent similar decisions being made in the future that results in the violations of individuals’ constitutional rights and conspiracies to do so;

D. Special damages and/or injunctive relief, including but not limited to, requiring that the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Department have required training and oversight of the Sheriff and the Deputies and other personnel so as to prevent similar decisions being made in the future that results in the violations of individuals’ constitutional rights and conspiracies to do so;

E. An order that CCSD, Chaffee County, EJDAO, and any other Defendant holding his property release his property to him forthwith;

F. Pre- and post-judgment interest at the lawful rate; and

G. Damages to date are estimated to be Fifteen Million ($15,000,000) to include all categories listed above.

H. Attorneys’ fees and the costs associated with this action, including expert witness fees, on all claims allowed by law;

I. Any further relief that this court deems just and proper, and any other appropriate relief at law and equity.

ETA: remove strikes

Thanks @Seattle1

Claim 2 is illustrative here, as a critical foundation of the suit is 'fabricated evidence' - namely the pushpin map. Plaintiff carries the burden here, so unlike in the criminal trial, plaintiff must prove the map was fabricated. The problem is, Barry said the map was accurate.

So Barry must testify IMO, to say he lied because Grusing tricked him with fabricated evidence. But such testimony could then introduce a new version which might be admissible in any future criminal trial. He would also have to recant following the moose on the infamous left turn for example. And what about the dumpster runs? I really can't see how he can do this. He risks introducing a new set of contradictions for saturday and sunday

CLAIM TWO: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 Due Process and Bivens– Fabrication of Evidence

Defendants Walker, Cahill, Graham, Rohrich Defendant Prosecutors, Defendant FBI Agents

Maybe for a highly skilled liar this is possible, but i think it would be wildly risky for a guy already caught in numerous lies.

my 02c

Now with the autopsy being released.. I feel like LE was spot on with their theories of what happened to Suzanne.
I just can’t shake the feeling that they were NOWHERE close to the location where Suzanne’s remains were found. I keep going back and forth in my mind if I believe Barry would actually move her..

I agree they had it down.

The whole thing about being nowhere close to where she was hidden is a key theme of No Stone Unturned. The outdoors of Colorado is a massive place. Even with a rough idea, you won't find a body without specific intel. It is really interesting how cases I have followed like McStay and others, and now this one, have been resolved by an animal digging up the body- bodies do turn up.

Do you think Barry knew about car telematics? Back then in 2020.. I don't think I really ever heard of such a thing.

The consumer won't know it as telematics but they do know of it in other forms.

For example for a long time now, vehicles have navigation, apps and journey data which you interact with via the dashboard interface or an app on your phone or both. You just don't see it as lines on a spreadsheet. I've often wondered if BM had the Ford App on his phone?

He also will have known about the telematics in the bobcat - as it has its own simcard / security system IIRC.

my opinion and 02c

Yes, I agree and thanks. I was only thinking that BM and counsel might try and use it to force the state and investigators to respond to the civil suit by disclosure of evidence or responses to their allegations? Would the state and defendants need to ‘show some cards’ as to the basis for the charges, arrest, etc. and all that BM and counsel alleged? If not, that would be ideal. But if the defendants to his civil suit do not respond, could the court issue a default or summary judgment to his pleadings?

I didn’t mean to imply he would use the information for his own suit. And I am assuredly not a lawyer. MOO
Looking at the civil complaint, it appears that BM is relying on discovery information released by the prosecution on which to base his claims, so he already has the evidence. Your question is interesting. You don’t usually move for summary judgement unless your case is a slam dunk (in that you think that the judge thinks there is nothing for a jury to decide).
I think the number of defendants is too wide but can see why that was the approach taken.

The basis of the complaint is quite important I think, in that the Government should not be able to take away a citizens freedom based on a document that appears to have false and incomplete information.

That Arrest Warrant Affidavit, will be the undoing of the Prosecution team named in the complaint and possibly Spezee(?) too. I cannot see how CBI employees can be accountable when there is evidence that they advised the arrest was premature.

I

Controlling the narrative is a common strategy in political, public relations and litigation contexts to shape information to create a desired point of view.

I'd say the comments on the Autopsy Report (AR) by Mr. Morphew’s attorneys represent their continuing attempt to control the narrative surrounding this case. The comment that "she put on her mountain bike clothes and was either getting ready for, or was already on her morning bike ride, when she was abducted, allegedly drugged, and buried 50 miles south of their home" tries to spin a single reference to “Yeti shorts” in the AR as evidence proving the (obviously staged) bike ride scenario.

You may recall when the body was discovered last October, she called out the fact that Suzanne’s remains were not "found anywhere in the vicinity of her home, the town nearby, or the county she lived in" (as though that had some exculpatory implications for Mr. Morphew, I mean, so what? Huge nothingburger).

The latest salvo of advocacy-masquerading-as-fact tries to assert a detection of caffeine in Suzanne’s bone marrow (a fact not revealed in the AR) has established his innocence once and for all.

Per Jane Fisher-Byrialsen, one of Barry's attorneys, "Barry Morphew is innocent and he could not have killed his wife. She got up the morning of Mother's Day, had her cup of coffee, that is now confirmed with the autopsy report.” As one more interested in justice than obfuscation, I would naturally like to know the basis of such a conclusion. For example, what levels of caffeine were detected.

The actual caffeine concentration found in the bone marrow is of obvious importance since various peer reviewed studies have found trace levels can remain in the human system for more than 24 hours. Typical quantification levels of caffeine by ultrahigh-performance liquid chromatography combined with tandem mass spectrometry with electrospray ionization (sorry for this technical gibberish, just pointing out that this stuff is high tech) have detection limits on the order of 0.01 mg/l. For a person of Suzanne’s size (assuming around 110 lbs) her blood caffeine concentration might peak at around 1-3 mg/l or at least 100 times greater than the detection limit. This means that caffeine would still be detectable in her blood (i.e. bone marrow) long, long after her morning cuppa Joe. In other words, the caffeine detection is entirely consistent with death on Saturday the 9th.

So, I guess the takeaway for me is that the fetched from afar claims of Mr. Morphew’s attorneys are just part of their job, and not actual attempts at intellectual honesty. (I guess this is pretty obvious, but I still find my brain on the verge of implosion when I read some of their, umm, stuff.)

Because the AR that was made public doesn’t reference the caffeine that Jane Fisher Byrialsen mentions (very possible I've missed it, being hung up on tranq meds) , does that mean she's breached something? Can it potentially harm any future trial/case?
Genuinely asking, if the folk who released the AR wanted that known wouldn't it have been in there for everyone to see? There's a reason it wasn't made public and she has just gone and publicised it, it doesn't seem right.

moo

The problem with Barry having the evidence, is if you look in detail at Iris/JFB allegations - there is daylight between what is alleged and what the facts actually are.

Take the allegedly 'fabricated' push pin map. The points on the map are simply plots of the raw data. So that is not fabricated. It is what it is. The CAST expert then warns Grusing that there may be an alternate explanation for the data i.e. static drift.

Grusing then shows the pushpin to Barry, says his phone "went round the house quite a bit", and asks if he was "looking for her". Barry says he was chasing chipmunks. In a later interview, Grusing speaks of BM running around - but that is what BM told him previously. So how was anything fabricated here?

This is just one example - my opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.07.10.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.07.10.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 7
The other point here, as noted by counsel for the FBI in the extracts from @Seattle1 upthread, is Judge Murphy heard submissions and evidence from both prosecution and defence on the push pin map and yet relied on it to find probable cause. Remember team Iris specifically confronted Grusing with their calculations about running speed to prove the map must show drift and not running. The Judge heard all that but ruled the admission material.

In their summing up to the Judge, prosecution specifically noted that whether or not 'the physics existed", Barry admitted it. (See attached).

Then Judge Murphy, after hearing the defence's evidence on this point, nevertheless relied on the defendant's admission (see attached).

There is no basis to the idea that the Judge was somehow misled into imprisoning Barry in reliance on a fabricated pushpin. The defence actually alleged that the explanation for it is different - and rely on the data as plotted to prove it!

My opinion only. Credit to @Seattle1 for the Judge Murphy's findings (media thread).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.20.04.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.20.04.png
    288.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.26.14.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.26.14.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 7
Does the defense have an obligation to make accurate statements? Or are they only held to a standard during a trial? I don’t really know the law on this.

Lately, it seems like Iris is veering further from the truth in her public statements.
There’s no ongoing case at the moment so she can say what she likes (more or less).

The problem with Barry having the evidence, is if you look in detail at Iris/JFB allegations - there is daylight between what is alleged and what the facts actually are.

Take the allegedly 'fabricated' push pin map. The points on the map are simply plots of the raw data. So that is not fabricated. It is what it is. The CAST expert then warns Grusing that there may be an alternate explanation for the data i.e. static drift.

Grusing then shows the pushpin to Barry, says his phone "went round the house quite a bit", and asks if he was "looking for her". Barry says he was chasing chipmunks. In a later interview, Grusing speaks of BM running around - but that is what BM told him previously. So how was anything fabricated here?

This is just one example - my opinion.
There was a lot that was not said in those gaps.

ETA I don’t think the aim of this complaint is a trial. They will want to settle. If LS is sanctioned during the hearing in June, I can see a settlement happening.

Last edited:

ETA I don’t think the aim of this complaint is a trial. They will want to settle. If LS is sanctioned during the hearing in June, I can see a settlement happening.
She'll probably be sanctioned for sure, I imagine but hopefully she initiates some sanctioning of her own, starting with the entire judiciary and leaving Iris for the main course..

She'd be mad not to.

Her sanctioning involves lots of cases though where her office was late filing mostly but when all circumstances are taken into account it could well be a different story..

I still wish her well.
I still believe she was right to arrest when she called it.
He was running too long and possibly presenting a danger to other women too..
Remember Suzanne's friend became quite alarmed at some of the things he did and said?

He's runnin' too long now too and if he's hoping long tall sally's gonna save his *advertiser censored* he might be in for a shock or two.. she's clean out of aces and he must be broke...

Romeo and Juliet are hitting the wall methinks , spitefully..

edited for typos

I agree IE has a way better case on the discovery violations - she should have filed only on that stuff IMO.

And agreed she prefers to settle, as would the state on that stuff.

I guess both LS and BM are now deeply compromised? I just don't see a pot of gold here I guess.

Last edited:
There’s no ongoing case at the moment so she can say what she likes (more or less).
She's heading into LS territory. IE needs to zip it, but I've found that she talks more publicly when the evidence and accusations against her sack of ___ client continues to look more guilty. (Like he could ever look more guilty)

Barry is toast and I am thankful for it. I will be thrilled when they put him in his cage and lock the door. No more hunting and killing animals or humans for you BM.

jmo

This really fires me up:

View attachment 501526

Bikers do NOT wear loose hoodies with strings. No, Nope, Nopers. It shows how little BM actually knew or cared to know about Suzanne, 0%. I loathe this lying liar who lies and have no doubt where he'll end up when the State's case is presented to a jury.

I just hope BM sticks around long enough (literally and figuratively) to face the Justice Suzanne so desperately deserves. I don't want him to run off and live his life in obscurity somewhere, and I don't want him pulling an Epstein or Dulos either. I want him to be locked in a cage every day for the rest of his life because that is what will hurt BM the most.

JMO

Looking at the civil complaint, it appears that BM is relying on discovery information released by the prosecution on which to base his claims, so he already has the evidence. Your question is interesting. You don’t usually move for summary judgement unless your case is a slam dunk (in that you think that the judge thinks there is nothing for a jury to decide).
I think the number of defendants is too wide but can see why that was the approach taken.

The basis of the complaint is quite important I think, in that the Government should not be able to take away a citizens freedom based on a document that appears to have false and incomplete information.

That Arrest Warrant Affidavit, will be the undoing of the Prosecution team named in the complaint and possibly Spezee(?) too. I cannot see how CBI employees can be accountable when there is evidence that they advised the arrest was premature.

I
Thank you Nikynoo….. your input is most appreciated. And you even take the time to help us ‘across the pond’! ;)

Yes this is interesting and a bit baffling. I don’t know the entire case by any means, but surmise that IIRC aside from the prosecutor missing certain timing and filing deadlines etc., that the investigators and others used good faith efforts to obtain evidence, a confession, and prepare for a prosecution of their prime suspect. And it seems that aside from being able to locate SM remains, their early theory of the case seems to have been quite accurate as many have noted.

This will surely interesting to track and monitor progress towards prosecuting and convicting the prime suspect. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinabluemoon