Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post was removed for bashing the Morphew daughters (Victims)

When we look at Suzanne's texts to Sheila, it is clear that Barry uses the girls and pits them against Suzanne. She pours our her heart about how it bothers her and I think she would do anything to protect them. She shielded them from as much as she could when it comes to their dad. She knew in the last few months they were seeing him for what he was. She mentions one of them saying just get divorced we can live in town and one of her friends parents had divorced and it was okay.

Then we know one of the girls texted her boyfriend that her mom wasn't answering and she was worried her mom and dad got into a fight again. Those girls were victims of Barry and his ways too. Suzanne knew it and I think she wanted her girls gone for that week because she was telling Barry she was done. She wanted to protect them even thought she was afraid of him. She wanted them safe and I think she encouraged that trip so they could be away (remember it was early COVID and I bet they were locked down for 2 months prior to this too.. they needed a break and she wanted them to go have fun).

We know they were texting her pictures because one of her last texts was responding to them.

Then we know it was them who couldn't reach Suzanne and they were worried and called Barry. I think if not for them calling and being concerned, police wouldn't be called till Monday (maybe that was Barry's plan)..

I think they did care for her. I just think they dealt with their dad all those years too and sure teens are a bit selfish and I think they all are not just her girls.. I was selfish as a teen and my teens are selfish. It sorta comes with the territory. They don't know what they don't know.. now I fear they are clinging to the only parent they have left. Right or wrong, they love him and one day I hope they can come to terms with what really happened, not what their dad tells them happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious if chose Mother's Day on purpose to punish her or if he snapped on that day, because he caught her on the phone with her boyfriend.
Still curious why the daughters went camping on Mother's Day. That in itself is odd, why not the weekend BEFORE or AFTER Mother's Day?
I think MDW was a convergence of forces. The perfect storm fury.

Suzanne was graduating from cancer treatment. She was ready to have The Talk with Barry, for real this time.

She crossed a threshold and I'm not talking about the one to JL's marriage. It was her own. Resolve. She even told JL this wasn't about him, that she expected she'd take some time to just be herself. Think about it: for decades she was the heart of her family, keeping Barry marginally presentable. She may have felt it was her job. Her lot in life. Her debt. But surviving cancer twice, I think she wanted more from life. Transparency. Not pretending everything was OK when it wasn't.

I think Suzanne sent the youngest away, knowing they'd be back on Mother's Day so she wouldn't be brought down by the heavy conversation.

We don't know what Barry said to Suzanne to placate her. Talk of Arizona, building a house, maybe for her, maybe for him. Maybe she washed those bedsheets because Barry agreed to move out. It was on her To Do list, not because she expected the girls/guest to sleep in that bed, but a triumph that he was vacating it once and for all.

MDW was sort of incidental. She had the friend's daughter's wedding (that Barry wouldn't let her GO TO iirc) but I think the greatest significance for why that weekend was two fold -- something happened on Tuesday or Wednesday from which there was no coming back (Barry did something) and her treatment was ending. She wanted to live FORWARD, without him holding her BACK.

Which also is why she's dead. He wasn't going to let that happen. Ever.

JMO

IIRC it was Barry who prodded the girls to be worried. I think he was at Men'sWearhouse or back to the hotel, just after, when he called one of the them. Probably to see how close they were to home. Set them up to discover Suzanne missing. Master manipulator.

Jmo

Confirming my thoughts all along, IE's agenda pre-dates BM:

"Nothing ever happens to prosecutors. They can't be sued. They have absolute immunity. They don’t get charged with crimes. They don’t lose their law licenses," Eytan said.

Last year, Eytan drafted a prosecutor accountability bill, but it didn't make it very far in the Colorado legislature. She's now hoping to get a similar bill introduced in 2024.

"It's time to change the infrastructure on how the system is mismanaged and how much misconduct is caused," Eytan said.

5/9/22 --https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/denver-defense-lawyer-pushes-for-prosecutor-accountability-law/73-4faf7922-698e-45dd-9a20-3f1c89547246

She's heading into LS territory. IE needs to zip it, but I've found that she talks more publicly when the evidence and accusations against her sack of ___ client continues to look more guilty. (Like he could ever look more guilty)

Barry is toast and I am thankful for it. I will be thrilled when they put him in his cage and lock the door. No more hunting and killing animals or humans for you BM.

jmo

Well, while IE’s job is pulling clients out of jail for big money and on technicalities, there is a limit to which one could loudly proclaim her client’s innocence. I think she understands it - and hopefully, is toning down. It is one thing when the client’s family was dysfunctional, both spouses cheated, and then a wife disappeared. It is totally different when the wife was found buried in a shallow grave, with the chemo port in her body and an animal tranquilizer in her bone marrow. What does the society think? Exactly - that BM killed SM by tranquilizing her, and we don’t even know if she was even dead when buried. Also, the photos now look as if IE actively manipulated his daughters into supporting this horrible father, although I think IRL she merely gave them advices on the looks.

I actually supported IE. A smart, independent woman, earning a lot by her guts. But there is a limit. Human opinion is a complicated thing, and her client was sadistically killing animals, and then equally sadistically killed his wife who just finished her chemo.

Why would IE do this?

Everything @Seattle1 said.

An agenda. Ambitions. Hoping you cripple the locals with lawsuits they can't afford to fight, angling for settlements, complete with nondisclosures.

She has aspirations and she's not going to let something like the truth get in her way.

JMO
I could agree if the complaint was just her/her law firm, but it’s not.

ETA who is funding this, because I don’t think it’s Barry?

I agree IE has a way better case on the discovery violations - she should have filed only on that stuff IMO.

And agreed she prefers to settle, as would the state on that stuff.

I guess both LS and BM are now deeply compromised? I just don't see a pot of gold here I guess.

I'm also curious about how outside discipline might affect the civil suit.

By IE's own admission, Prosecutors have immunity, and LS was not found to have willfully violated Rule 16, or guilty of any misconduct, by either Judge presiding over this case.

I've been thinking about the investigation of LS by OARC-- prompted by a complaint by a 'concerned citizen', IE happens to serve as a witness during this investigation, and holds a press conference to announce she was a witness, and is now going to file her own complaint with OARC against LS and the entire prosecution team. And follows this up with a $15M Civil Lawsuit.

Agenda much, IE? I think so.

I have a somewhat different take on it. When we look at Suzanne's texts to Sheila, it is clear that Barry uses the girls and pits them against Suzanne. She pours our her heart about how it bothers her and I think she would do anything to protect them. She shielded them from as much as she could when it comes to their dad. She knew in the last few months they were seeing him for what he was. She mentions one of them saying just get divorced we can live in town and one of her friends parents had divorced and it was okay.

Then we know one of the girls texted her boyfriend that her mom wasn't answering and she was worried her mom and dad got into a fight again. Those girls were victims of Barry and his ways too. Suzanne knew it and I think she wanted her girls gone for that week because she was telling Barry she was done. She wanted to protect them even thought she was afraid of him. She wanted them safe and I think she encouraged that trip so they could be away (remember it was early COVID and I bet they were locked down for 2 months prior to this too.. they needed a break and she wanted them to go have fun).

We know they were texting her pictures because one of her last texts was responding to them.

Then we know it was them who couldn't reach Suzanne and they were worried and called Barry. I think if not for them calling and being concerned, police wouldn't be called till Monday (maybe that was Barry's plan)..

I think they did care for her. I just think they dealt with their dad all those years too and sure teens are a bit selfish and I think they all are not just her girls.. I was selfish as a teen and my teens are selfish. It sorta comes with the territory. They don't know what they don't know.. now I fear they are clinging to the only parent they have left. Right or wrong, they love him and one day I hope they can come to terms with what really happened, not what their dad tells them happened.
You are kind and you are looking at this from Suzanne’s point of view. It was the younger daughter who knew about the fights and Suzanne was afraid Barry was winning her over. The oldest had been away at college for what..two years? And she was a daddy’s girl. Remember Barry bragging about her virginity to LE? What kind of father does that???

I was looking at this not from Suzanne’s point of view but the daughters. I would never leave my mom alone during Covid lockdown to go camping on Mothers Day! The youngest daughter said herself that her mom and dad were fighting.

Like father, like daughters.

I respect your point of view but I sure feel differently.

I'm curious if chose Mother's Day on purpose to punish her or if he snapped on that day, because he caught her on the phone with her boyfriend.
Still curious why the daughters went camping on Mother's Day. That in itself is odd, why not the weekend BEFORE or AFTER Mother's Day?
The older one in college at the time had just finished exams. If Suzanne was planning on ending the marriage she might have welcomed them not being around that week but I do think she was expecting them home earlier on Sunday and hoping MM1 would spend the night.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

I can’t even fathom being married to a man who would tranquilizer deer to take their antlers. Or someone who would brag about shooting small animals in his yard. Or an idiot who buries furniture in his front yard. And I am sure she knew he was unfaithful if he was gone for days at a time. JL must been like a breath of fresh air for Suzanne. I’m just so sorry both were married.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could agree if the complaint was just her/her law firm, but it’s not.

ETA who is funding this, because I don’t think it’s Barry?

Respectfully, I think the real question is how much have they gained by filing this lawsuit!

The very nature of civil litigation is for financial award (or reward).

IE has practiced criminal law for 30 years, and IMO, long hinted she was ready to make a shift to support her social and civil causes, and found a like minded, civil partner willing to join and support her effort.

IMO, BM's Complaint is IE's/JFB's test case following Colorado's law banning qualified immunity-- which they brought a myriad of claims under in the Complaint (Colo. Rev. Stat. § 13-21-131).

This suit also compliments IE's personal quest for a prosecutor accountability bill that she's been publicly pursing since 2020. IE 2020 Legislation Effort

When I post of IE being brilliant, I can't think of another case where the criminal defendant's lawyer filed suit against every agency in the state of Colorado, from Prosecutor to County Commissioner, and today has stacks of legal responses to the Complaint, written by some of the finest legal minds. For example, if just the CBI defendants, they have the Colorado Attorney General's Motion to Dismiss-- representing an inside view on their approach to defending a claim pursuant to Colo. Rev. Stat. § 13-21-131. And the same for the FBI defendants. And more...

As a criminal defense attorney, the defendants here are not IE's typical opposing parties. IMO, they'll be practiced and well equipped for their next lawsuit.

Last edited:
You are. Her phone would have been incredibly valuable, which is why Barry made it disappear. Personally, I think Barry chucked it in a dumpster in Broomfield. As for the ring, it was never found. It doesn't prove anything though, as scavengers could have taken it with her fingers, or the "random abductor, could have removed it in that scenario, the fact that he didn't take the cash or credit cards in her vehicle, notwithstanding.

I'm sure Barry removed it and had it melted or something.
Re phone and remembering older cases, terrorism etc where data was possible to extract from missing phones?

I wonder whether attempts had been made to extract it?
Or even fresh attempts in light of recent autopsy findings? It's now officially murder. It is a problem that he is probably her legal next of kin so received a more comprehensive report of her bone toxicity findings..
(wish I had seen his face when he read that!!!)

In light of long tall sally's pathetic media submissions I think it's a fair guess that there was nothing exonerating at all in it.

(sorry for bringing forward a past post but playing catchup)

As a mom myself, i can’t even imagine. Pretending to be happy and excited for them and you are left alone with the slacker you married, knowing his temper and his selfishness.

I can’t even fathom being married to a man who would tranquilizer deer to take their antlers. Or someone who would brag about shooting small animals in his yard. Or an idiot who buries furniture in his front yard. And I am sure she knew he was unfaithful if he was gone for days at a time. JL must been like a breath of fresh air for Suzanne. I’m just so sorry both were married.
I'm feeling as you are at the way she was abandoned abused and disposed of.

I have zero judgement on the fact they were married.
|It breaks my heart that Suzanne probably never knew how beautiful she was and still is.

I had a kind of a dream about her today.. In it, her face was very close and she was speaking confidentially and clearly.
I don't have the faintest idea of what she was saying, it wasn't like sound and words, she was just talking and that was all I was meant to see.. This never happened to me before and I wasn't expecting and I don't feel any more involved that anyone else on this forum or obsessed with it or anything excessively and |I| do other things also it was totally unexpected. I'll think more about it now.

This is not new for IE!

She practiced this art of misrepresenting the facts repeatedly in her defense Motions for sanctions. Especially once Judge Lama became her audience.

And despite no district Court (Murphy or Lama) ever finding the prosecution team acted in bad faith, guilty of willful misconduct, or intentional violation of Rule 16, IE seemed to find momentum--especially after she publicly announced that she served as a witness for the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel (who were investigating a complaint filed against DA Stanley).

IE is incredibly smart. I've long believed this civil suit to be her test case for the change in Colorado Law banning qualified immunity. However, I also think IE couldn't help herself not to pile it on. Sometimes it's like she's trying to convince herself, IMO, the suit won't survive the Motions to Dismiss.

But IE did not lose. She had an agenda. She's in a good place for IE 2.0 MOO
She also has a hell of a PR consciousness, always fast with her statements , no doubt emailed to all her significant, to her, media outlets, and never fails to appear publicly with prominent people...

I also agree. And IANAL, yet IMO the entire civil case would merely seem a transparent effort to get at any additional evidence, perspectives, rationales, and police reports or analysis that might serve to be used in a trial or convict their client / prime suspect. In other words, to see how really ‘bad’ is it for BM?

And that leads me to continue to ponder what on earth Bury / BM might have told his criminal defense and civil attorneys? And sure would be interesting to have heard discussions he had with them once the remains of SM were found - and when the partial Autopsy Report was released. MOO

Citing leopards have spots which they are incapable of changing, I consider it likely that:
(1) Barry has lied to counsel from the get-go;
(2) that counsel from said get-go appreciated that such
was sui generis Barry, and
(3) thereupon prudently shunned his versions of events effective from the date of his relocation from Indiana.

- Sure, he's very usefully bulging with bucks, but foremost we've gotta take care of the practice, true?
- So there must be no presentment of this guy's renditions of "facts" in the course of our representation, yes?

- Then agreed?:
Whenever with us this client departs from the quiet/listening mode,we just pretend to be taking notes.
:rolleyes:

Controlling the narrative is a common strategy in political, public relations and litigation contexts to shape information to create a desired point of view.

I'd say the comments on the Autopsy Report (AR) by Mr. Morphew’s attorneys represent their continuing attempt to control the narrative surrounding this case. The comment that "she put on her mountain bike clothes and was either getting ready for, or was already on her morning bike ride, when she was abducted, allegedly drugged, and buried 50 miles south of their home" tries to spin a single reference to “Yeti shorts” in the AR as evidence proving the (obviously staged) bike ride scenario.

You may recall when the body was discovered last October, she called out the fact that Suzanne’s remains were not "found anywhere in the vicinity of her home, the town nearby, or the county she lived in" (as though that had some exculpatory implications for Mr. Morphew, I mean, so what? Huge nothingburger).

The latest salvo of advocacy-masquerading-as-fact tries to assert a detection of caffeine in Suzanne’s bone marrow (a fact not revealed in the AR) has established his innocence once and for all.

Per Jane Fisher-Byrialsen, one of Barry's attorneys, "Barry Morphew is innocent and he could not have killed his wife. She got up the morning of Mother's Day, had her cup of coffee, that is now confirmed with the autopsy report.” As one more interested in justice than obfuscation, I would naturally like to know the basis of such a conclusion. For example, what levels of caffeine were detected.

The actual caffeine concentration found in the bone marrow is of obvious importance since various peer reviewed studies have found trace levels can remain in the human system for more than 24 hours. Typical quantification levels of caffeine by ultrahigh-performance liquid chromatography combined with tandem mass spectrometry with electrospray ionization (sorry for this technical gibberish, just pointing out that this stuff is high tech) have detection limits on the order of 0.01 mg/l. For a person of Suzanne’s size (assuming around 110 lbs) her blood caffeine concentration might peak at around 1-3 mg/l or at least 100 times greater than the detection limit. This means that caffeine would still be detectable in her blood (i.e. bone marrow) long, long after her morning cuppa Joe. In other words, the caffeine detection is entirely consistent with death on Saturday the 9th.

So, I guess the takeaway for me is that the fetched from afar claims of Mr. Morphew’s attorneys are just part of their job, and not actual attempts at intellectual honesty. (I guess this is pretty obvious, but I still find my brain on the verge of implosion when I read some of their, umm, stuff.)
To Miss IE: You know your client is guilty when an autopsy report doesn’t even mention your client—yet you are out in the media in full force pointing the finger at every nonsensical thing you can!
Me thinks the lady doth protest too much! :)
MOO

I'm also curious about how outside discipline might affect the civil suit.

By IE's own admission, Prosecutors have immunity, and LS was not found to have willfully violated Rule 16, or guilty of any misconduct, by either Judge presiding over this case.

I've been thinking about the investigation of LS by OARC-- prompted by a complaint by a 'concerned citizen', IE happens to serve as a witness during this investigation, and holds a press conference to announce she was a witness, and is now going to file her own complaint with OARC against LS and the entire prosecution team. And follows this up with a $15M Civil Lawsuit.

Agenda much, IE? I think so.

This is why I expected a strong reaction from the FBI defendants (which we got). Obviously the FBI were never going to let this kind of nonsense stand. Grusing conducted a text book set of interviews and developed critical evidence. The idea that it should be characterised as a constitutional rights breach is absurd. Barry had the right to silence. No one made him lie to investigators.

IMO!

To Miss IE: You know your client is guilty when an autopsy report doesn’t even mention your client—yet you are out in the media in full force pointing the finger at every nonsensical thing you can!
Me thinks the lady doth protest too much! :)
MOO

Yes! She has seen all the same evidence as us. This is why she never should have given that hug. Don't make your clients guilt or innocence a question of your own personal integrity! MOO.

I'm feeling as you are at the way she was abandoned abused and disposed of.

I have zero judgement on the fact they were married.
|It breaks my heart that Suzanne probably never knew how beautiful she was and still is.

I had a kind of a dream about her today.. In it, her face was very close and she was speaking confidentially and clearly.
I don't have the faintest idea of what she was saying, it wasn't like sound and words, she was just talking and that was all I was meant to see.. This never happened to me before and I wasn't expecting and I don't feel any more involved that anyone else on this forum or obsessed with it or anything excessively and |I| do other things also it was totally unexpected. I'll think more about it now.

Dreams mean different things to us. (There was a point in my life, in late adolescence, when I was seeing dreams about unknown people/places and 2-3 days later, something would happen not only to that person/place, but this is how I’d get know about their existence. The proof was that I’d tell my parents after seeing these dreams upon awakening. A materialist, I can’t even attempt to explain what it was.)

But speaking about your dream, since you were aware of Suzanne’s existence, it might be easier to explain. It would seem to me that: 1) you felt personal connection, compassion towards Suzanne and were very sad when nothing was happening (should I say, “missed the development in the case, missed hearing about Suzanne”). 2) When Suzanne was found, you were hopeful that it would move the case. 3) Examination of Suzanne’s body told us about her manner of death. A scientific work, in nonetheless felt as if Suzanne “told” about her last moments. 4) You now hope that she’ll “tell” more. There is something else to find out. It falls on the investigators to “decode” what she says, but you hope she’ll “speak”, and her “words” will be heard.

(As we all hope.) I personally feel that when Suzanne, a small, tired from chemo woman, was fighting for her life with BM, she mentally wished that he would not get away with it. It takes a just a few more words, and then we’ll know her whole story. One hopes.

Last edited:
What to Know About How Long Caffeine Lasts This post says that caffeine remains in the body for up to 10 hours.. I think the evidence ...last proof of life around 2PM on Saturday, with social media not used after that point, SM didn't answer friends messages, or show online for the wedding of best friends' daughter on Sunday...all indicate she died Saturday afternoon. There is no way to determine if that caffeine was from Saturday morning coffee...or Sunday morning coffee as IE wants us to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UCG