Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I correct in remembering that there were also rocks/gravel in the grave that did not belong to the surrounding area? I'm as curious about where those came from as I am about the wood fragment.

Could both have come from the Salida riverfront building site if that was BM's first intended grave for SM, and they were picked up with her body and put back into the cooler or onto a tarp (ETA: or into a large black tree planter... like he threw away in Broomfield) in which he wrapped her for picking her up and delivering her to the burial site where her remains were ultimately found?

ETA: I vaguely remember that there may have been some "hits" by the dogs that were taken to the riverfront site.
Responding to my own post to express my hope that the wood fragment coming from the site where SM's remains were found is ultimately tied to either trees or construction materials at the Salida riverfront site or to stakes that a wholesale nursery included with whatever tree or large plant came in that large black planting tub that BM disposed of in Broomfield.

Could that black tub have been one of those that once held the small evergreen trees that BM reportedly planted at the corner homesite at the entrance to Monarch River Estates? And the wood fragment from a stake that came with those young trees?

We're going to figure this out yet, every move and maneuver.

Let's say -- and I am putting Barry at the beach site at 11/11:30 pm on 5/9 -- he has the lights from a diesel truck running, he's in the process of moving a body into the area where the house or garage will be built. That engine or actual heavy machinery isn't just loud, it's shaking the earth's core, enough so that it awakens someone hard of hearing and she turns her porch light on to investigate. Barry realizes he is not alone and panics. Can't leave her there. So he gathers her up and with her material from the site -- rocks and construction debris. He retreats from there fast. Now he's pushing midnight. He opts for distance -- and the cardinal opposite of Broomfield.

The 15 million dollar question -- if Barry was at the beach site at 11 pm or thereabouts on 5/9, how did he get there. His own truck seems to have been parked at PP. So what did he drive? The older RR works.

If LE can identify that wood, how incredible would that be? Maybe it was already in whatever container Barry used to transport her body.

The man left a blazing trail of clues.

JMO

IME, wood fragments can also look like bones and this cannot be confirmed until tested. I recall when Isabel Celis, 6, vanished in 2012 and her remains not recovered until 2017, we learned that from what was collected in the Tucson desert, only a small bone was positively identified as a piece of Isa's hip.

Unlike the discovery of Caylee Anthony where experts under tents including botanists and bug experts spent days if not weeks sifting soil, etc., I don't recall CBI being on location (Moffat) very long. Looking back, I think more time was spent on site inspecting samples from the Salida beach construction site. MOO

Am I correct in remembering that there were also rocks/gravel in the grave that did not belong to the surrounding area? I'm as curious about where those came from as I am about the wood fragment.

Could both have come from the Salida riverfront building site if that was BM's first intended grave for SM, and they were picked up with her body and put back into the cooler or onto a tarp (ETA: or into a large black tree planter... like he threw away in Broomfield) in which he wrapped her for picking her up and delivering her to the burial site where her remains were ultimately found?

ETA: I vaguely remember that there may have been some "hits" by the dogs that were taken to the riverfront site.
Wow. No random killer brings his own rocks.

^^rsbm

Was this something relayed by team BM to MSN?

From page 4/4 of the autopsy report, "Evidence," I see "probable rocks" but nothing confirming rocks/gravel not belonging to the surrounding area.

1715102490341.png

ETA: Hoody packet evidence-- a phone, charger in the pocket?? Now wouldn't that be interesting!

Last edited:
^^rsbm

Was this something relayed by team BM to MSN?

From page 4/4 of the autopsy report, "Evidence," I see "probable rocks" but nothing confirming rocks/gravel not belonging to the surrounding area.

View attachment 502022

ETA: Hoody packet evidence-- a phone, charger in the pocket?? Now wouldn't that be interesting!
Her phone charger would be huge. Who goes bike riding with a phone charger?

ETA: Does anyone know if her hoodie had one of those pockets in the front?

Last edited:
This is a great read on Dr. Diane France -- forensic anthropologist who examined SM's remains!

Jan 2, 2022

A textbook France authored on comparing human and non-human skeletal remains is considered fundamental, said Michala Stock, a board-certified forensic anthropologist who heads the Human Identification Laboratory at Metropolitan State University of Denver. She called France “a giant in the field.”

“It’s been instrumental for helping guide, when we find fragmentary skeletal remains, of helping to sort out whether the remains we are looking at are human or not,” Stock said. “…She definitely helped shape the field.”

[..]

Over the years, France has seen an increase in bones with gunshot wounds.

“Bones reflect society,” she said.

These days, France is moving toward retirement, though she expects to keep volunteering with NecroSearch for the long haul. She’s written five books — technical books and textbooks — and may publish some different work going forward.

For a long time, France was the only board-certified forensic anthropologist in the state. But there’s another based in Denver now, Stock, and knowing she is there has given France some peace of mind about retirement.

“I was not willing to, and am not willing to turn over my clientele to somebody who isn’t board-certified,” she said.

On this Crested Butte sweatshirt, it appears to have a side pocket.
The picture below (there are others of her in this sweatshirt online) shows Suzanne in the Crested Butte hoodie, which looks like a casual everyday-wear item. It is also a bit too long for a mountain biking jacket.
1714588452006.png

This is a great read on Dr. Diane France -- forensic anthropologist who examined SM's remains!

Jan 2, 2022

A textbook France authored on comparing human and non-human skeletal remains is considered fundamental, said Michala Stock, a board-certified forensic anthropologist who heads the Human Identification Laboratory at Metropolitan State University of Denver. She called France “a giant in the field.”

“It’s been instrumental for helping guide, when we find fragmentary skeletal remains, of helping to sort out whether the remains we are looking at are human or not,” Stock said. “…She definitely helped shape the field.”

[..]

Over the years, France has seen an increase in bones with gunshot wounds.

“Bones reflect society,” she said.

These days, France is moving toward retirement, though she expects to keep volunteering with NecroSearch for the long haul. She’s written five books — technical books and textbooks — and may publish some different work going forward.

For a long time, France was the only board-certified forensic anthropologist in the state. But there’s another based in Denver now, Stock, and knowing she is there has given France some peace of mind about retirement.

“I was not willing to, and am not willing to turn over my clientele to somebody who isn’t board-certified,” she said.
She also features in "No Stone Unturned," about Necrosearch International, who were heavily involved here. She appears on an episode of Forensic Files, as well as Dr. Baden's old Autopsy show on HBO.

Unfortunately doesn't appear there is any photos of BM yet on there.

BUT, holly Wilson was invited?

Was she not the one secretly recording conversations with Barry at some point?
Wow, yes she had some goods on BM if I remember, he even made a pass at her I think.

<So good to see you GJ :)>
Good memory on the HW thing.

MOO

@MassGuy I didn't ride with a charger on me, but my phone was fully charged and I have mapmyride engaged when I do get out.

Nobody I know, myself included, rides in a big ole' long, heavy cotton sweatshirt with strings and side pockets. Nope.

BM had to guess what BM might have worn and what he could get on her body the easiest. Good quality bike shorts, shirts and vests are compression like for aerodynamics and would have been difficult to dress a body in no matter what size the person.

IMO

@MassGuy I didn't ride with a charger on me, but my phone was fully charged and I have mapmyride engaged when I do get out.

Nobody I know, myself included, rides in a big ole' long, heavy cotton sweatshirt with strings and side pockets. Nope.

BM had to guess what BM might have worn and what he could get on her body the easiest. Good quality bike shorts, shirts and vests are compression like for aerodynamics and would have been difficult to dress a body in no matter what size the person.

IMO
Oh I don’t think he had to bother, because what’s the difference if she’s never going to be found?

I think she changed from her bathing suit to this sweatshirt and shorts during the gap between messaging JL and Barry arriving home.

She was killed in what she was wearing.

IME, wood fragments can also look like bones and this cannot be confirmed until tested. I recall when Isabel Celis, 6, vanished in 2012 and her remains not recovered until 2017, we learned that from what was collected in the Tucson desert, only a small bone was positively identified as a piece of Isa's hip.

Unlike the discovery of Caylee Anthony where experts under tents including botanists and bug experts spent days if not weeks sifting soil, etc., I don't recall CBI being on location (Moffat) very long. Looking back, I think more time was spent on site inspecting samples from the Salida beach construction site. MOO

MG had to pave the little beach part, if I remember well, a very important job in BM's eyes this time. Previous to that there were certainly some rocks (not very big) laying around and were dispensable. The bigger ones were in a semicircle lined up on the edge, we saw on a photo. Maybe, usually these little rocks BM (MG) collected into a plastik pot, maybe for using them for the next rock-business-order (I'm betting: with a new bill to the next client).

The evidence bag, which had stones/rocks in it, I first didn't understand at all. But now I'm beginning to understand .... finally.
MG must know, if there were rocks collected at this new lttle river beach.

Very intriguing scenario Megnut! I too wonder who BM might have perhaps dressed up as? Who or what, did he approximate? What outfit or clandestine clothing garb did he wear to attend incognito? Amazing there are no pictures of him from the event.

As justirish notes above in post # 590 this thread, team BM might well request a speedy trial. And for that reason, I agree with that post that investigators and the prosecution team will want to take their time. And get their ducks all aligned. They need to also deal with all the prior evidence, new findings, and previous filings and concerns. Time will be their ally - for a good case, presentation of evidence before a judge and jury, and one hopes a conviction of their prime suspect.

This will be a while. And we can look forward to Error505 with all the bells and whistles waiting to sound. For now…… enjoy the silence. (And if you do choose….. cue up Depeche Mode: ‘Enjoy the Silence’…… or if you prefer, Simon and Garfunkel: ‘The Sounds of Silence’, or both? (FWIW close with ‘Policy of Truth’ by Depeche Mode. Fitting for finding justice in this case for SM IMO. MOO
I'm sure Barry’s sporting a tan, highlighted hair and a tight shirt.

Bbm.
Well, wouldn't that be a shame ? *sarcasm intended*

My guess is BM used some of Suzanne's money for his defense --as he'd have access to her funds as they weren't divorced yet ?
Omo.
Suzanne’s inheritance was used with their other assets to purchase the Puma Path home. Their money was mixed and jointly invested in the house. There was no account of Suzanne’s with Suzanne’s money kept separately.

MG had to pave the little beach part, if I remember well, a very important job in BM's eyes this time. Previous to that there were certainly some rocks (not very big) laying around and were dispensable. The bigger ones were in a semicircle lined up on the edge, we saw on a photo. Maybe, usually these little rocks BM (MG) collected into a plastik pot, maybe for using them for the next rock-business-order (I'm betting: with a new bill to the next client).

The evidence bag, which had stones/rocks in it, I first didn't understand at all. But now I'm beginning to understand .... finally.
MG must know, if there were rocks collected at this new lttle river beach.
Very true. However, nothing to say the dirt (also collected) and probable rocks were not native to the ground at Moffat burial site.

Suzanne’s inheritance was used with their other assets to purchase the Puma Path home. Their money was mixed and jointly invested in the house. There was no account of Suzanne’s with Suzanne’s money kept separately.
Suspect that was more to do with Barry and his wants regarding finances. Another way to control things. Make her dependent on him. After all, he was the ATM, and for the last 20 years she had "idle hands" and did "absolutely nothing but be a Mom" (believe those were his exact words in some of his many disparaging descriptions of Suzanne)

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member