Colorado Gov. Eliminates Gender-Specific Bathrooms

"Gov. Bill Ritter on Thursday signed a bill that makes it illegal in Colorado to discriminate against gays, bisexuals and transgendered people when buying a home, renting an apartment or using public accommodations.

"The governor felt that this bill, SB200, was about fairness and treating people equally," said Evan Dreyer, spokesman for the governor's office. "It essentially updates anti-discrimination laws that in some cases have not been updated for 50 years."

Bruce DeBoskey, regional director of Denver's Anti-Defamation League, a civil rights organization, said the law is a step forward for Coloradans.

"No one should be denied housing or public accommodations solely because of his or her sexual preference," DeBoskey said.

One aspect of the law enables transgenders - those who were born one gender but identify with the other - to use public restrooms in which they feel most comfortable."

and, from the bill itself:

Prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in the following areas:

- Housing practices;

- Places of public accommodation;

- Publication of discriminative matter;

- Consumer credit transactions;

- Membership in labor organizations;

- Inclusion in public works projects;

- Issuance of license to practice law;

- Sales of cemetery plots

- Determination of whether expenses paid at or to a club that has a policy to restrict membership are tax deductible;

- The provision of funeral services;

- Enrollment or classification of students at private occupational schools;

- Eligibility for jury service;

- Enrollment in a charter school, institute charter school, public school, or pilot school for expelled students;

- Written local school boards of education policies regarding employment, promotion, and dismissal;

- The assignment or transfer of a public school teacher;

- Leasing portions of the grounds of or improvements on the grounds of the Colorado state university - Pueblo and the Colorado school of mines;

- Employment in state personnel system;

- The provision of adequate hospital facilities;

- Availability of family planning services;

- Employment practices of county departments of social services involving selection, retention, and promotion of employees;

- Participation in the managed care program under the children’s basic health plan;

- Making or committing to make a housing facility loan by the Colorado housing and finance authority; and

- Imposition of a discriminatory occupancy requirement on charitable property for which the owner is claiming an exemption from property taxes based on the charitable use of the property.

Adds prohibitions against discriminating on the basis of sex,
marital status, disability, age, national origin, ancestry, and religion, as
necessary, for consistency in antidiscrimination laws.

Gosh, I thought by now there were discrimination laws in all states that covered most of this. I don't mind the other stuff for the most part, but I think public restrooms is going too far.

I don't think a person who is faking it is going to go through all the legal trouble and the public humiliation of claiming they are transgendered just so they can see some boobies.

Really? I find that odd considering the thousands of stories we talk about here at websleuths.

I can't see someone going to the trouble of sticking a video camera in a pre-school bathroom either, but it's been done a bunch of times. This legislation is an invitation to disaster.

I agree with golfmom. We've really seen some doozies around here. Anyone remember that one guy with a camera that had the right to video someone's private parts? Weren't they in a bathroom or mall?

Have a ladies room, men's room and a third room for the rest.
I used unisex bathrooms at youth hostels in Britain and never felt safe. We ended up going in pairs. There were unisex showers as well. Is that where all this is heading next?

I agree with golfmom. We've really seen some doozies around here. Anyone remember that one guy with a camera that had the right to video someone's private parts? Weren't they in a bathroom or mall?

TM, I don't remember that one, but who would think someone would go to the trouble to have sex with their picnic table in the back yard?

Or the guy caught on tape molesting the little girl in the book store?

The list just could go on and on of the extreme measures that twisted folks take.

Honestly, a guy claiming he was transsexual just to get access to a bathroom to get a child is not far fetched at all.

We have ladies, mens and "family" bathrooms at one mall we go to.

golfmom, you are right! I think this is making it very easy for access to little kids. I'm not saying TS's are doing this, I'm saying there will be child molesters trying to do this. There's always some dumb parent that lets their little kid go to the bathroom by themselves.

golfmom, you are right! I think this is making it very easy for access to little kids. I'm not saying TS's are doing this, I'm saying there will be child molesters trying to do this. There's always some dumb parent that lets their little kid go to the bathroom by themselves.

I don't have a problem with the majority of that legislation, but I have a big problem with this.

Thanks for that link, Taximom!
Well he looks like a nice enough guy, and he's obviously intelligent, but how selfish does he have to be to insist that males and females of all ages and sexual persuasions (including pedophilia) be forced to use the same rooms for waste excretion?

The people of Colorado should give him and the governor a lesson in civics and demand a list of people who claim to have been traumatized by the current, practical and workable system ~~ a system that protects the weak (children, girls/women/elderly).

I mean--we all know that girls and women often carry handbags with them. How many pursesnatchers will use Colorado's bathrooms as a place to ply their trades? Is the State going to provide a govt. worker to check/scan IDs at every public and private restroom to ask if the man trying to enter the ladies room is transgender?

I'm guessing not. I'm guessing no safeguards w/b provided, and even if they were, the cost would be prohibitive.

I dont even live there, and I feel like writing a letter of protest. This is not democracy (rule by the people) or republic (rule by representatives) ~~ this is rule by plutocracy (the rich)/oligarchy (the few).

The few, the rich, the selfish! :furious:
The people of Colorado should not allow it to stand.
And the first person who'se harmed by the new law should sue them blind (and I would be willing to contribute to their legal fund).

And that person lost their case, right?

I rest my case.

I'm sorry... but this law will never make sense to me... why make ALL bathrooms "gender-neutral" why not designate that a "gender-neutral" bathroom be included?

We had a transgender that worked for us at one time. She was a he who became a she... the nicest person you'd ever meet... But instead of making all bathrooms "gender-neutral" the company designated one bathroom "gender-neutral" and people had a choice of which restroom they wanted to use.

But this law... make all bathrooms "gender-neutral" is beyond anyone's moral standards.

If all bathrooms were one single private stall - that would be great. I never understood why a bathroom with one single private door that locks even had to have a male or female symbol on them, but always took advantage of it. When a line is 20 women deep at a stall and the men's room is empty - guess where I am headed? :)

As long as you accidently can see in the little stall doors, I don't want my daughter to have to use a gender neutral bathroom.

If all bathrooms were one single private stall - that would be great. I never understood why a bathroom with one single private door that locks even had to have a male or female symbol on them, but always took advantage of it. When a line is 20 women deep at a stall and the men's room is empty - guess where I am headed? :)

As long as you accidently can see in the little stall doors, I don't want my daughter to have to use a gender neutral bathroom.

I always hated it when women would spill over into the mens bathrooms at concerts and sporting events.

Or should I say - Of Course in Colorado?! :behindbar

Care about Children in Colorado?! Now that's just funny.....especially to someone that walked into the Gov's office to beg him to remove Mary Lacy Keenan from her position years before we ever heard of JonMark' Karr and baby Jason Midyette. I'm going to have to snag this info and drag it back home to FFJ - I'm sure the members might have a word or two to say about this newest BrainFart from those that are Rocky Mountain HIGH.

I'm moving to CO and walking into every men's bathroom there and spraying it with Febreeze. This could be fun! Plus I'm going to make them all wash their icky hands before they leave.

I'll go with you if I can point and laugh! :woohoo:

And that person lost their case, right?

I rest my case.

I don't remember that particular case so I'm unable to address why it was lost, but there are LOTS of them out there that have been successfully prosecuted (example below).

While you've rested your case, all you've managed to prove is that it's now possibles for predators to enter restrooms under equal access and legally videotape. :clap::clap::clap:

What a relief, I'm sure everyone feels much safer now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-zequeida_both_24may24,0,7983003.story

Janitor gets probation, work release for videotaping bathroom

By Andrew L. Wang | Tribune reporter
10:29 PM CDT, May 23, 2008

A Highland Park man was ordered to serve 30 months of probation and 1 year in a work-release program for setting up a hidden camera in a synagogue bathroom and videotaping those who used the toilet, including young children.

Salome Zequeida pleaded guilty last month to 15 counts of unauthorized videotaping of a victim younger than 18 but was found not guilty of more serious child *advertiser censored* charges for the recordings made in March and April 2007 in Congregation Solel, 1301 Clavey Rd., Highland Park.

Women do not do those things because their mouths are never closed long enough for the pressure to build.

You are so mean . :angel:

You might want to remember that quote about hell and fury ...

:slap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aprilssister94
Back