Convict Confesses Killing Danielle van Dam and JonBenet Ramsey

I couldn't tell you if she was well read but she does have a bachelors degree in journalism. So I would consider her educated.

What's interesting is according to the Ramseys the FBI holds the key to solving the murder of their daughter with their CODIS system. I would be camped out at the FBI's doorsteps,or taking actions similar as to what the Holloways and Twittys have done! But not the Ramseys, they chose to write a self serving book (for profit), perpetrate lawsuits, and engage in public speaking engagements (again for profit).

Sabrina said:
I couldn't tell you if she was well read but she does have a bachelors degree in journalism. So I would consider her educated.

What's interesting is according to the Ramseys the FBI holds the key to solving the murder of their daughter with their CODIS system. I would be camped out at the FBI's doorsteps,or taking actions similar as to what the Holloways and Twittys have done! But not the Ramseys, they chose to write a self serving book (for profit), perpetrate lawsuits, and engage in public speaking engagements (again for profit).
A college degree in no way indicates that a person is "well educated". It means you did the work to get your degree.

You have to want to be well educated to be well educated.

Lets see if the Holloways and Twittys are "camping out" 10 years from now.

Zman said:
A college degree in no way indicates that a person is "well educated". It means you did the work to get your degree.

You have to want to be well educated to be well educated.

Lets see if the Holloways and Twittys are "camping out" 10 years from now.
You can't do the work to get a college degree if you are dumb Zman.
If someone has a degree that means they have a certain level of education.

The Ramseys never camped out. Quite to the contrary, they were arranging to leave town within an hour of their daughter being found dead.

Just throwing this into the mix, pot-luck. Maybe one reason Patsy gets FBI and CIA mixed up is that she's so distracted by grief, and another possible reason I can think of that, if it should turn out to be true would answer all our questions, is that there's a CIA theory, maybe still there at www.TheKonformist.com, a long article, as I recall. They've gotten laws that nobody can "out" them, example Valerie Plame. Was Ames the last traitor who was outed? Isn't it maybe about time for another? Who knows, maybe it will happen. That would explain the Rs' coverup.

If they suspect a certain person, it must be awfully miserable not being able to say so and get any justice. Just a possibility that would explain the secrecy many notice.

Things aren't always as they may seem on the surface. There are sometimes surprise endings. I always ask myself, when someone points out the Rs' apparent coverup, if they're handicapped by some unjust law, and this mixup might mean she has CIA on the brain for some good reason. Some mothers might go completely over the edge in such circumstances.

Thanks, Tipper, for the info that FBI, not CIA, handles Codis.

Have to agree with zman that a degree doesn't at all mean someone's educated or not! There's corruption everywhere, and there's been lawsuits about grading frauds.

The smartest students might conceivably have jealous enemies, bullies, maybe even making some kind of dossier, private or otherwise, causing them to drop out in disgust to save what's left of their correct GPA. I could cite at least two cases in Michigan, about a decade ago, haven't been keeping up with it lately, Maitland vs. WSU, Ewing vs. UM. It's not a perfect work. Stuff happens. Whenever someone's bragging about, for instance, some "star" being a dropout, you have to wonder why they consider themselves involved, why they know such things about someone else's life, and even if they somehow pulled strings to cause such a thing. An organization about bullying has a motto, "Those that can, do, and those who can't, bully." I may even know someone who hates beauty queens, that play piano, always trying to bring them down, no justifiable motive whatsoever. A college president was quoted in a newspaper saying, "You owe it to your organization to profit it however you can." He was of course getting a promotion to an area-wide position but seemed to disappear after only a couple of years. What could that mean? Some injustice had been done to some student? Don't ask me. The article didn't say.

We're only delving into someone else's business about education because there was a child murder, of course. Not saying anyone was jealous of Patsy. Just generally speaking about appearances can be deceiving. Just agreeing with zman. Anyone remember "The Peter Principle" theory from elementary psych classes?

narlacat said:
You can't do the work to get a college degree if you are dumb Zman.
If someone has a degree that means they have a certain level of education.

The Ramseys never camped out. Quite to the contrary, they were arranging to leave town within an hour of their daughter being found dead.
In my experience, it is people who do NOT have a university degree who are scathing about them. A friend of mine had two marriages with children from each marriage and 10 years between each "family". The kids from the first marriage did not go to university and my friend used to slag off university degrees and be thoroughly dismissive of those who had them. Her two children from her second marriage both went to university and both did very well (one is doing a PHd) and my friend has fairly changed her tune.

Universities do not hand out degrees in lucky bags. Degree programmes teach students to think, question and research.

Jayelles said:
In my experience, it is people who do NOT have a university degree who are scathing about them. A friend of mine had two marriages with children from each marriage and 10 years between each "family". The kids from the first marriage did not go to university and my friend used to slag off university degrees and be thoroughly dismissive of those who had them. Her two children from her second marriage both went to university and both did very well (one is doing a PHd) and my friend has fairly changed her tune.

Universities do not hand out degrees in lucky bags. Degree programmes teach students to think, question and research.
It's not a matter of being scathing about them. It's a matter of not attaching too much importance to them. Nearly everyone in my family has a graduate degree in one field or another. A bachelor's degree is seen as just a first step towards being "highly educated." Something that can be achieved by almost anyone with a little self-discipline and focus. American universities and colleges are different from British ones which do require more responsibility and independent effort from the student.

tipper said:
It's not a matter of being scathing about them. It's a matter of not attaching too much importance to them. Nearly everyone in my family has a graduate degree in one field or another. A bachelor's degree is seen as just a first step towards being "highly educated." Something that can be achieved by almost anyone with a little self-discipline and focus. American universities and colleges are different from British ones which do require more responsibility and independent effort from the student.
No Tipper, it IS a matter of being scathing. I am addressing some scathing remarks about a degree not being proof of someone being highly educated. Incidentally, an American degree is not seen as second rate to a British one here in the UK. Many British students go to the US to obtain degrees and they come back and are just as highly regarded as if they obtained their degrees at home.

Here, universities are called "Higher Education". Colleges are "Further Education". Graduates are paid more than non-graduates here - often for the same job. Teachers with an honours degree (4 years) are paid more highly than those with an ordinary degree (3 years) here - for doing the same job. A higher education is both valued and rewarded.

High schools students have their hands held to some extent. University students are on their own! Lecturers give them guidance on where to do the research and they must go off and learn by themselves. Graduates are expected to be able to analyse, problem solve and evaluate. Many graduates do not end up in a job which actually utilises their degrees. For example, IBM likes to train its own programmers and will hire graduate trainee programmers from many disciplines other than Computer Science.... Their degree is their proven ability to learn.

If you don't regard an honours degree as highly educated, what DO you regard as highly educated?

Jayelles said:
No Tipper, it IS a matter of being scathing. I am addressing some scathing remarks about a degree not being proof of someone being highly educated. Incidentally, an American degree is not seen as second rate to a British one here in the UK. Many British students go to the US to obtain degrees and they come back and are just as highly regarded as if they obtained their degrees at home.
I don’t recall saying American universities were second rate. I said British ones require more responsibility and independent effort. But you don’t have to take my word for it:

http://www.studyabroad-cis.com/England/Facts/england_facts.htm

[…]You will find that learning at British universities is much different than that of an American institution in that much more responsibility for learning the material is given to the student. Teaching methods and assessment vary from institution to institution, but in general academic life in British universities consists of large lectures followed by more intimate tutorials and labs where the information is studied in detail. You are expected to read, research and prepare outside of class time.
[…]
[url="http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/international/pre-departureinformation/preparing-studies.htm"]http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/international/pre-departureinformation/preparing-studies.htm[/url]

[…]It is very important for you to realise that you should be prepared to be largely an autonomous, self-dependent learner at a British university. A large proportion of your work will be done without the direct assistance of your teachers and as a result good time management is essential.[…]
Added another one:
http://www.isep.org/handbooks/uk/education.html

At a British university, more emphasis is placed on independent, self-directed study than in the United States. Required texts and definite reading assignments are less common. More typically, an extensive reading list covering all topics to be discussed is distributed at the start of the course to be used for independent research. British students typically consult a large number of sources from the library rather than intensively studying a few books purchased by everyone taking a course. In addition, students are required to write more essays and take fewer objective tests than at U.S. institutions.

Jayelles said:
Here, universities are called "Higher Education". Colleges are "Further Education". Graduates are paid more than non-graduates here - often for the same job. Teachers with an honours degree (4 years) are paid more highly than those with an ordinary degree (3 years) here - for doing the same job. A higher education is both valued and rewarded.

High schools students have their hands held to some extent. University students are on their own! Lecturers give them guidance on where to do the research and they must go off and learn by themselves. Graduates are expected to be able to analyse, problem solve and evaluate. Many graduates do not end up in a job which actually utilises their degrees. For example, IBM likes to train its own programmers and will hire graduate trainee programmers from many disciplines other than Computer Science.... Their degree is their proven ability to learn.
Here the designation of college vs university is somewhat muddier. A college usually grants associate and bachelor degrees while a university is usually a collection of colleges and grants graduate and undergraduate degrees. But that varies from state to state and there are colleges that grant advanced degrees. e.g. Dartmouth, Boston, William and Mary.

There is a difference between "higher education" and being "highly educated." I agree higher education proves one’s ability to learn. With few exceptions it is expected in this country that if you plan to get ahead you need at least a bachelors degree. Usually those with degrees are paid more than those without degrees.
Jayelles said:
If you don't regard an honours degree as highly educated, what DO you regard as highly educated?
In my view a person who is "highly" educated is one who most likely has a graduate degree and has moved beyond simply being taught and is intellectually in a position to further the boundaries of their chosen field.

Somewhere I read that some people want to educate themselves even faster than in a classroom setting, and/or maybe want to concentrate on just their main interest, and that most anything you want to know can be accessed by hiring the right people, and now by computers.

So, although I'm also from a large family who pursued the degrees, teachers, principals, even a superintendent or two, I can certainly see Tipper's point. Plus, one thing that wouldn't occur to us unless we've been victims, there can be "rotten apples in any barrel", corruption, any and everywhere. I saw a computer article about Grading Frauds, and there've been lawsuits in the Detroit area. For instance Maitland v. WSU and Ewing v. UM, probably a lot more in the decades since then. I haven't been keeping up with it. The newspaper said the Ewing case reversed the Maitland one, and hinted or maybe said outright that it was partly about students' right to question things. (Huh?) NWO or some such attempted changes? Falwell wouldn't have been involved? Anyone know why his group had such a bad reputation it had to change its name?

But I digress? This old geezer's major was Fine Arts, but I'm into some of most every field, had a REQUIRED political science course which was all about terrorism, probably the reason I'm interested in what Lyndon Johnson meant about a Murder, Inc in the Caribbean, etc., and what Hillary meant. Just curious. Nobody's come up with any kind of answer so far. I read "The Vatican Connection" years ago when I could see that well, and there was a "South American Gang" the author was suspecting of skimming Vatican funds if I remember correctly. Or maybe that was what Interpol called a gang that sounded like the one Hammer suspected. Some day it may all fit together somehow. Or maybe not.

tipper said:
CIA - FBI I think to Patsy it's all the same and she has no idea what the differences are. That's why I disagreed with the idea that she was highly educated and well-read. Someone who was would be aware of the difference.
Pretty people and intelligent people get A's.

Which one was Patsy?

:twocents: :twocents:

Sabrina said:

Or at minimum, if I were highly educated, I would be volunteering to input the data into CODIS so that the cost to the state was minimum.

We have volunteers to do all kinds of important work around the world, why not volunteers to help out our government? Why must everything be done by a paid staff?

:HappyBday Disclaimer: It's not my birthday, I just LOVE cake! :blushing:

Too bad Patsy didn't think to offer to do that. It would have given her a chance to do some snooping, maybe, to see what else they had. Yeah, maybe Beth Twitty would have thought of it. Did she really go to Holland? Probably she'd find out more by going to the FBI HQ.

ScorpioGal said:
Or at minimum, if I were highly educated, I would be volunteering to input the data into CODIS so that the cost to the state was minimum.

We have volunteers to do all kinds of important work around the world, why not volunteers to help out our government? Why must everything be done by a paid staff?

:HappyBday Disclaimer: It's not my birthday, I just LOVE cake! :blushing:
I think the potential for abuse would be huge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back