Coronation of King Charles III - 6 May 2023

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Everything you need to know about King Charles III’s coronation

LondonCNN —
With the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, at her rural Balmoral home in September, Charles III instantly became King. In the days that followed, he was formally proclaimed Britain’s new monarch and now, after months of painstaking preparation, his coronation is upon us.

Heir to the throne for 70 years, Charles will be officially crowned in a magnificent and deeply religious ceremony on May 6. Thousands will gather at Westminster Abbey and the surrounding streets of central London to take in a glorious display of British pageantry.

There’s a lot of speculation floating around, and some elements are still being fine-tuned, but if it’s official, we’ve got you covered. Here’s CNN’s essential guide to the celebrations – we’ll keep updating it to ensure you stay in the know.

This new thread is for discussion of the upcoming coronation.

We're very sorry that we are not able to go through the months and the multitude of posts from last fall from the thread about the death of Queen Elizabeth that also pertained to the coronation.

We are SO excited. I am planning a British menu for that day. Scones and berries for breakfast, luncheon, I am not sure, probably going to have it later, and have a combined luncheon and tea. Anyone else decided on the menu for celebrating?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="The King and The Queen Consort&#39;s Coronation Quiche" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We are SO excited. I am planning a British menu for that day. Scones and berries for breakfast, luncheon, I am not sure, probably going to have it later, and have a combined luncheon and tea. Anyone else decided on the menu for celebrating?
Earl Grey tea with scones, jam, and Devon cream during the Coronation ceremony in the morning. I plan to make my own version of a "royal" quiche for dinner during the Kentucky Derby on Saturday evening.

The historic Stone of Scone, the ancient coronation stone upon which monarchs in Britain have been crowned for centuries, has left Scotland for London under tight security ahead of next week’s coronation of King Charles III, officials said on Friday.

Also known as the Stone of Destiny and regarded as a sacred, historic symbol of Scotland’s monarchy and nationhood, it is being moved from its permanent home at Edinburgh Castle for the first time in more than 25 years, Historic Environment Scotland (HES) said.

HES, which looks after the stone — an oblong block of red sandstone, said it had worked with police and other agencies to ensure it “can be transported safely and securely”, saying it was being taken in a special carrier constructed largely from Scottish oak...

Earl Grey tea with scones, jam, and Devon cream during the Coronation ceremony in the morning. I plan to make my own version of a "royal" quiche for dinner during the Kentucky Derby on Saturday evening.

Too bad we don't have any fresh mint yet for mint juleps. The Coronation Quiche looks interesting, I have never thought to add beans to a quiche before. Fava beans. I will have to see if they come frozen.

Let's see.... I'd go for Victoria sponge, roast beef and yorkshire, trifle, shropshire blue cheese, real ham.... But only if someone makes it for me.

The best thing would be.....teatime with a "sit". In my experience, Americans don't understand the concept of having a little sit in the middle of the afternoon.

''The Coronation Service​

The Coronation of The King and The Queen Consort will take place at Westminster Abbey on Saturday 6th May 2023.

The Service will be conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury and will reflect the Monarch’s role today and look towards the future, while being rooted in longstanding traditions and pageantry.

Their Majesties will arrive at Westminster Abbey in procession from Buckingham Palace, known as ‘The King’s Procession’.

After the Service, Their Majesties will return to Buckingham Palace in a larger ceremonial procession, known as ‘The Coronation Procession’. Their Majesties will be joined in this procession by other Members of the Royal Family.

At Buckingham Palace, The King and The Queen Consort, accompanied by Members of the Royal Family, will appear on the balcony to conclude the day’s ceremonial events.

How to watch: details of how and where to watch the service are available on the Department for Culture, Media and Sport website.
1682708333960.png
1682708351000.png

The Coronation Concert​

On Sunday 7th May 2023, a special Coronation Concert will be staged and broadcast live at Windsor Castle by the BBC and BBC Studios. Several thousand pairs of tickets have been made available via public ballot, which has now closed.

1682708366601.png

The Coronation Big Lunch​

The Coronation Big Lunch, at which neighbours and communities are invited to share food and fun together, will take place across the country, also on Sunday 7th May 2023

How to attend or organise a Big Lunch: Head to The Big Lunch website for information about getting involved.''

Lol, I had to look up Devon cream ... sounds delicious !
I'm a big fan of all things made with cream.

It's looking like the coronation will be a feast for the eyes as well, even though King Charles has made some 'slimming down' changes to the monarchy, if I've read correctly ?

Last edited:

I hope there are not too many incidents like this during the Coronation.

Peaceful protests are allowed in England, so expect to see/hear a few of them.

'Sounds yummy and fun! I'll be adding some mini country ham biscuits and Derby pie. <modsnip - KY Derby is off topic>;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I had to look up Devon cream ... sounds delicious !
I'm a big fan of all things made with cream.

It's looking like the coronation will be a feast for the eyes as well, even though King Charles has made some 'slimming down' changes to the monarchy, if I've read correctly ?

Agreed. I don't know much about the UK or people. But I think that immigration has changed the UK, not unlike immigration has changed the US.

Many people may no longer have the same feelings for the monarchy any longer.

YouTube has the full dress rehearsal online if you wish to ’see’ the parade at your leisure in North America.

Lots of detail about how the soldiers are always a specific distance apart, who is wearing what and why.

It’s under King’s Coronation Full Dress Rehearsal.

Enjoy!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back