Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think this is a hoax? People have died from this minor virus. Lots of people. And it appears to be super contagious. Does that mean most people will die from it? No. The majority will recover. But still, it’s dangerous for many sectors of our population.

The total global death toll is less than 3000 --assuming that's even accurate. I think it's a manufactured "crisis" (a la ebola) since the virus is not much more fatal than the flu (if it actually is at all), threatens the same populations (the very old and very young and the health compromised) and it presents no real threat in the US or other first world countries beyond that. So, it's just like the flu. But unlike the flu, the drama that's been created around it has sunk the stock market in 5 days time. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone seeing shortages of items such as rubbing alcohol, aspirin, bleach, etc?
Went to Target and Walmart - shelves were bare of these items plus other things on the regular shopping list.
Not panic buying, just things that we use on a regular basis.
I couldn't find Goody's or BC Powder to save my life today!!
Had to settle for aspirin, acetaminophen and caffeine tablets.
Boo.
MOO

Last edited:
I’m sorry delete this if you wish but to call this a hoax in the face of all of the worry and death is absolutely appalling for a leader to have the nerve to say, IMOOOOO. Lead or leave!!!! I’m out. MOOOOOOOOOO

This virus is not a hoax and it would be irresponsible for anyone to suggest that the Chinese are play-acting through this virus. In China, families are issued a new wrist band every 3 days that determines privileges. One person in the family is allowed to go out for food. People are bored while locked in their homes.

The WHO and Canadian experts have praised China in their structured and restricted approach to containing the virus. The WHO has warned every country to prepare for an unexpected overwhelming local epidemic that will strain health care facilities and employees. It's one thing to discourage panic, something altogether irresponsible to act as though the virus should not be taken seriously.

If 20% of the population needs medical care during the 3-4 weeks that the virus needs to run its course, every city needs to not only prepare hospitals and stockpile supplies, but secondary locations for patient care need to be arranged.

An hour north of Atlanta. Walmart wiped out of hand sanitizer and just a few days before the shelves were freshly stocked with them. End caps FULL of hand sanitizer. But some still at the dollar store.

Honestly it's not been a part of something I'd normally do. We've only gotten the flu once. And I just avoid touching things when I go out. But I realize I'm actually touching things way more than I want. I figured it was worth putting one in each car and in my purse and starting new habits.
Then you are close to me!!
I've been treading water near Allatoona Lake for 2 weeks now!
Picked up 88# of dog food at Sam's warehouse.
We are going to fill up the extra gas cans tomorrow, as long as we don't have to take a Jon boat or swim there! Lol

Thank goodness the lake levels came down for a few days.
After tomorrow I am in self imposed lockdown mode.
I did see a beautiful rainbow Thursday afternoon in Cartersville.
Thought I'd share it! I had to go see my sweet grandbaby before I have to avoid "people"!
MOO
PicsArt_02-28-11.22.29.jpg

. Abc news Second case of unknown origin. Santa clara county, ca. The other in Solano county. The mayor responds " I'm certain that there's more cases".
11 days and no test and now she's so sick she can't respond about all the different places she visited, touched, sneezed. Its too late. Jmo sorry if this was already posted

The total global death toll is less than 3000 --assuming that's even accurate. I think it's a manufactured "crisis" (a la ebola) since the virus is not much more fatal than the flu (if it actually is at all), threatens the same populations (the very old and very young and the health compromised) and it presents no real threat in the US or other first world countries beyond that. So, it's just like the flu. But unlike the flu, the drama that's been created around it has sunk the stock market in 5 days time. Ridiculous imo.

The thing is, China has advanced medicine. They may be a crazy, secretive government but they do have a medical system similar to our in terms of technology and medical expertise. They aren’t a third world country even though there are some problematic practices with eating various animals and unhygienic animal markets. And yet a lot of people have died there.

I do think there is a level of hysteria but as I’ve mentioned before, just small changes to the market can create financial disaster. For example, few are willing to go on a cruise ship and be stuck right now. That’s going to severely impact the cruise industry and the tourism industry to all cruise stops. Just that alone will have an impact. And it has a domino affect.

Then there’s the problem that so much of the world’s production is in China. And that’s being interrupted.

People have died in Italy from this. That’s also a nation with a super advanced medical system. Yes, the flu has killed many more people in a season than this virus but it does appear to be spreading pretty fast and we don’t have any immunity to it. It’s new. Not just a mutated flu strain.

And it appears to have double the death rate (or more) than the flu. So if we can’t stop the spread it could kill more than flu viruses.

This is important stuff. Seemingly minor things cause changes to the market so it makes a lot of sense that this would. We shouldn’t panic. Just use reason and logic and medical experts to try to minimize the damage as much as possible. But I am concerned. And that seems reasonable.

I guess it depends on how you define hoax. To me, taking a relatively minor virus and blowing it up on an international level to inspire worldwide panic might fit the definition. Imo, the really crazy scary part is how many people are buying that this is some dire threat in the US or for travel in Europe...or at all, really. Unless maybe you're an elderly person in rural China or a third world country. jmo
Some of us are of the belief that the global economy has been for decades now somewhat of a house of cards, with everything precariously balanced atop an inverted pyramid of fiat currency and unsustainable extraction of finite natural resources.

And that it might take only a relatively minor global disruption to cause bigger problems that may only be incidentally related to the initial trigger, be that this virus, the incremental effects of climate change, or some earthquake that won't even happen for another twenty years.

So any preparedness planning may appear outsized for the specific illness or event, because impacts may be expected in a much wider range than just who does or doesn't die from a disease.

Now, preparedness planning is not the same as panicking, which I advise against.

Just some context for some people's views. Others views differ I'm sure.

Finally I think being introverted is going to come in handy.

I’m in Australia and today I went to a dedicated bird shop to buy a cage and they had 3 in stock because they are shipped from China. That was the last thing I expected.

That ain't nothin! I mean, as far as "gross and uncomfortable" medical procedures go...a giant Q-tip down the throat, covered with goop is no big deal.

Now, if we want to discuss "gross and uncomfortable" medical procedures...:p
I sure hope @Oregonmama has already gone for her test and doesn't have to read this description until she's already done with it!

Finally I think being introverted is going to come in handy.

I’m in Australia and today I went to a dedicated bird shop to buy a cage and they had 3 in stock because they are shipped from China. That was the last thing I expected.

Do you mind if I ask what part of Australia and what the mood is there? I'm curious as my son is in Melbourne for the last month. He said life goes on as normal, which is what it is in most parts of the world. He's unconcerned.

This virus is not a hoax and it would be irresponsible for anyone to suggest that the Chinese are play-acting through this virus. In China, families are issued a new wrist band every 3 days that determines privileges. One person in the family is allowed to go out for food. People are bored while locked in their homes.

The WHO and Canadian experts have praised China in their structured and restricted approach to containing the virus. The WHO has warned every country to prepare for an unexpected overwhelming local epidemic that will strain health care facilities and employees. It's one thing to discourage panic, something altogether irresponsible to act as though the virus should not be taken seriously.

If 20% of the population needs medical care during the 3-4 weeks that the virus needs to run its course, every city needs to not only prepare hospitals and stockpile supplies, but secondary locations for patient care need to be arranged.
If 20% of the population needs medical care, there will not be enough beds or staff to care for them. :(

Quick update before I'm off to bed. DH and I watched Contagion (2011) on demand this evening. Very good film about a fictitious respiratory virus pandemic and its impact on international communities. Worthwhile viewing. I give the movie a B+.

I submitted my COVID-19 poll to JerseyGirl. She will work on posting it over the next few days.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone here on Websleuths as we face this possible national health crisis.
The full movie is on YouTube for free:
Audio isn't great. (I just started watching, so... )

If 20% of the population needs medical care, there will not be enough beds or staff to care for them. :(

That's exactly what happened in China. It's not that China didn't have excellent and sophisticated health care prior to the outbreak, but that so many were sick that the system was overwhelmed. That will happen everywhere that there is a similar epidemic.

Okay my friends. As hard as it is, let's scroll and roll. If we don't agree, just go on to the next post. This thread is too important to have it shut down. The information that has been shared here is absolutely amazing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loria4mi5