Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
It finally found us. We received my hubbies PCR results this morning. It's positive. He's running a low grade fever, runny nose and a general feeling of malaise. I worry about him as he has an underlying condition. Luckily we have easy access to medical advise via phone or video chat.

I still have the same headache I've had for 5 days. I'm not going for a second PCR at this point. I'm just going to assume we both have it. If my symptoms get worse, I'll go for a second test.
My husband and I are both double vaccinated along with boosters. I'm hoping that will make this a mild encounter with our enemy Covid.

So sorry that your husband has Covid and that you are also not feeling well. I hope you both recover quickly and without residual effects. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on Friday. I'm more concerned about being in a medical facility with possible exposure to Covid than the dreaded prep day that just happens to be my 72nd birthday :D Patients are required to present proof of vaccination/booster or a negative Covid test 72 hours prior to procedure. My vaccination information is already on file, but I'm going to take my card with me anyway.

Be well.

@LaborDayRN how rotten that the virus found you despite the careful way you've lived. Hoping you and your husband are well very soon. It may be a relief that you've retired and don't have to factor nursing into your recovery.

@BetteDavisEyes As the kids say, "I feel you."

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the pulmonologist. Something I have strenuously avoided for two years now. But all my own fault, as I know, I'm a smoker with mild COPD and it's really time to be checked.

I told the receptionist on the phone today that I really cannot imagine any way that I will blow into the tube that measures respiration. I know it's a new mouthpiece each time, but who knows how many people have blown into that machine? I've been avoiding all doctors and do NOT want to go to one who specializes in people with respiratory problems!

But I have to go. I have medication that they've been renewing for me without my going to the doctor, but they really need to check me before they'll continue that.

Every single person who loves me cannot fathom how I'm supremely cautious around Covid but continue to smoke cigarettes. I don't have a good excuse. Except that Covid mainly makes me worry that I can pass it to my family as it's so contagious. Smoking is my one main vice.

Good luck with the colonoscopy. As I've mentioned a few times, we just lost a family member at 61 because she didn't get her colonoscopy, same reasons as us plus she was a very busy nurse, and she ended up with stage 4 colon cancer.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks so much Margarita! I really appreciate the positive thoughts! I'm feeling hopeful as well.

Please definitely keep us posted, @LaborDayRN!

Now, re: Dr. Campbell’s video you posted above (reposted below at end of this post), I actually watched/studied this last night, and had some comments/questions/feedback. I have watched Dr. C since the beginning and have a lot of respect for him. However, it doesn’t mean I/we have to agree with everyone all the time on every single point. First IANAD and I know he knows a HECK of a lot more than I do. Also, he is referencing the latest CDC report, which as he says IS “data driven”. But I took pause with some of his opinions on what this means going forward.

I’m having trouble putting the words together for this post, al though I had a complete post written in my head before I fell asleep: there were three specific points of contention, for lack of a better term/so to speak that I had in response/question.

I think it would help if I could directly quote a transcript. YouTube transcripts don’t work with my device, so am making note to find one - I’m not sure there is one?

Some notes that I wanted to work into these thoughts for the future post is #1: True or false, the more severe infection one has, the higher the antibody response. #2: Considering the differences in the spike protein, etc. between Delta and Omicron, can we assume this CDC report that studied Delta will be the same for Omicron, Dr. C says he is optimistic, but considering their differences I’m not so sure we can box them together re: natural immunity and there is also the element of reinfection and #3: Going forward with this endemic stuff, well this is where I need to quote directly in response, specifically taking into account the practical inevitability of other variants spinning out, some which still could be dangerous and evade both natural and vaccine-induced immunity. Dr. Osterholm has emphasized to be very careful about this, the “endemic” references. He is also very against this concept of (winter) “seasonality” considering cases raging in the Southern Hemisphere during non-winter seasons.

* This is a very abbreviated post which I would like to delve in further if I/we can find a transcript.

I thought this video might be helpful for your situation.

Last edited:
So sorry that your husband has Covid and that you are also not feeling well. I hope you both recover quickly and without residual effects. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on Friday. I'm more concerned about being in a medical facility with possible exposure to Covid than the dreaded prep day that just happens to be my 72nd birthday :D Patients are required to present proof of vaccination/booster or a negative Covid test 72 hours prior to procedure. My vaccination information is already on file, but I'm going to take my card with me anyway.

Be well.
I had a colonoscopy early last year when only medical staff and vulnerable groups were vaccinated. In my experience with that and some other tests, clinics were well organized to minimize exposure. Waiting rooms and hallways were mostly empty, and where they were not, distancing was enforced. You could only enter the building shortly before your appointment.

Boston patient removed from heart transplant list for being unvaccinated

His father, David Ferguson, said his son — who is fighting for his life in the hospital and is in desperate need of the transplant — doesn’t believe in the COVID-19 vaccine.

“It’s kind of against his basic principles, he doesn’t believe in it. It’s a policy they are enforcing and so because he won’t get the shot, they took him off the list of a heart transplant,” David told the outlet

@LaborDayRN how rotten that the virus found you despite the careful way you've lived. Hoping you and your husband are well very soon. It may be a relief that you've retired and don't have to factor nursing into your recovery.

@BetteDavisEyes As the kids say, "I feel you."

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the pulmonologist. Something I have strenuously avoided for two years now. But all my own fault, as I know, I'm a smoker with mild COPD and it's really time to be checked.

I told the receptionist on the phone today that I really cannot imagine any way that I will blow into the tube that measures respiration. I know it's a new mouthpiece each time, but who knows how many people have blown into that machine? I've been avoiding all doctors and do NOT want to go to one who specializes in people with respiratory problems!

But I have to go. I have medication that they've been renewing for me without my going to the doctor, but they really need to check me before they'll continue that.

Every single person who loves me cannot fathom how I'm supremely cautious around Covid but continue to smoke cigarettes. I don't have a good excuse. Except that Covid mainly makes me worry that I can pass it to my family as it's so contagious. Smoking is my one main vice.

Good luck with the colonoscopy. As I've mentioned a few times, we just lost a family member at 61 because she didn't get her colonoscopy, same reasons as us plus she was a very busy nurse, and she ended up with stage 4 colon cancer.

Wishing you the best.

Good luck tomorrow Arkay. I have a similar story that's played out the past 18 months. I completely get the lure of cigarettes and have empathy for anyone in a similar situation. Sending you all good vibes.

FWIW.....I would have the colonoscopy procedure, especially if there have been previous GI issues or things noted in a previous colonoscopy.
Don’t know everyone’s age group, was told over 60 presents more risks regarding colon according to an ostomy nurse. Waiting for a good time during an ongoing two year plus pandemic to get a colonoscopy can turn into an trip to the ED resulting in emergency surgery plus an extended hospital stay with much greater risk of contracting Covid.
JMO

If he were to get a heart transplant, he would be put on very strong immuno suppressants. Transplant patients who get infected with covid are at very high risk of severe disease or death because of immuno suppprestants. Which is why doctors want transplant patients to be vaccinated prior to getting transplants.
If this guy doesn't comply, why give him a heart which are in short supply? He won't live long with it if he were to get infected (and there is an excellent chance now to be infected, considering how contagious omicron is).

Respectfully snipped

If it is any comfort to you, I can tell you that I have performed the respiratory testing that you are speaking of for many years. I am certified by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) to train certification classes for health care professionals so they can perform respiratory testing safely and properly.

Patient safety and avoiding cross contamination has always been a priority in respiratory testing, and after COVID the safety procedures and decontamination protocols have been been revised by NIOSH. Now the requirements are even stricter.

You mentioned “who knows how many people have blown into that machine?” but I can assure you that the disposable mouthpiece is attached to a disposable filter that prevents contamination to the machine. And the machine will be sanitized thoroughly after each use.

The respiratory testing will be performed in a negative air pressure room, and the air exchange will be vented directly outside.

After each patient the exam room door will be closed room and the air be exhausted. Each room will have had the air exchange rate determined so the amount of time to wait between patients will be known. In a negative flow room, there are 12 or greater air exchanges per hour. The air exchange rate should be posted somewhere in the room so that staff will know how long to wait before the next patient is brought in.

Hope that makes sense, and is reassuring to you.

Respectfully snipped

If it is any comfort to you, I can tell you that I have performed the respiratory testing that you are speaking of for many years. I am certified by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) to train certification classes for health care professionals so they can perform respiratory testing safely and properly.

Patient safety and avoiding cross contamination has always been a priority in respiratory testing, and after COVID the safety procedures and decontamination protocols have been been revised by NIOSH. Now the requirements are even stricter.

You mentioned “who knows how many people have blown into that machine?” but I can assure you that the disposable mouthpiece is attached to a disposable filter that prevents contamination to the machine. And the machine will be sanitized thoroughly after each use.

The respiratory testing will be performed in a negative air pressure room, and the air exchange will be vented directly outside.

After each patient the exam room door will be closed room and the air be exhausted. Each room will have had the air exchange rate determined so the amount of time to wait between patients will be known. In a negative flow room, there are 12 or greater air exchanges per hour. The air exchange rate should be posted somewhere in the room so that staff will know how long to wait before the next patient is brought in.

Great post, ice ice baby!

Vanilla Ice Abc GIF by Dancing with the Stars - Find & Share on GIPHY

Respectfully snipped

Thank you so much! All the receptionist told me is that they space out the patients more than they used to, when it was always very crowded with a two hour wait. She also said I can ask the respiratory therapist any questions I have.

This is reassuring and I appreciate your depth of knowledge and experience.

@WichitaFalls thank you for your kind words and lack of judgment! I do feel guilty about being a smoker especially as it raises my Covid risk level.

If he were to get a heart transplant, he would be put on very strong immuno suppressants. Transplant patients who get infected with covid are at very high risk of severe disease or death because of immuno suppprestants. Which is why doctors want transplant patients to be vaccinated prior to getting transplants.
If this guy doesn't comply, why give him a heart which are in short supply? He won't live long with it if he were to get infected (and there is an excellent chance now to be infected, considering how contagious omicron is).

Not everyone is fully aware of all the overwhelming issues that have to be considered for transplant. We had to go through a grueling 18 month process of being denied and then approved to get a transplant at Mayo Clinic. (my husband had an LVAD surgery, not a full heart transplant, since he was rejected for that early on). Immuno suppression is just such a strong strong determinant to be approved for such a massive surgery. We had to go through 12 months of massive "immune building, with infusions and injections...just to get approval. We did EVERYTHING in the regimen set up by the medical transplant team.

To simply say "no" to a vaccine is just an red flag to a team that needs the patient to be doing EVERYTHING possible to be strong enough for the surgery.
just my opinion of course... but who knows what else the patient might have neglected, rejected, or disobeyed......

This reminds me of the Netflix movie
The God Committee.
Very, very sad IMO

Not everyone is fully aware of all the overwhelming issues that have to be considered for transplant. We had to go through a grueling 18 month process of being denied and then approved to get a transplant at Mayo Clinic. (my husband had an LVAD surgery, not a full heart transplant, since he was rejected for that early on). Immuno suppression is just such a strong strong determinant to be approved for such a massive surgery. We had to go through 12 months of massive "immune building, with infusions and injections...just to get approval. We did EVERYTHING in the regimen set up by the medical transplant team.

To simply say "no" to a vaccine is just an red flag to a team that needs the patient to be doing EVERYTHING possible to be strong enough for the surgery.
just my opinion of course... but who knows what else the patient might have neglected, rejected, or disobeyed......

Is an LVAD considered a form of transplant surgery? Is he doing better?

Forgive me if I pour salt in a wound.

Exactly. Patients who are not following directions of their doctors are not good candidates for the transplant. Once transplant is done, patient will have to take immuno suppressants. If patients fails to follow directions from their doctors, the new heart will just end up rejected and wasted.

For a mild disease, there sure are still a lot of deaths, see figure. Omicron is less severe than Delta generally, the data seems to have revealed, but this doesn’t mean it is still not dangerous, or deadly, for the unvaccinated:

For a mild disease, there sure are still a lot of deaths, see figure. Omicron is less severe than Delta generally, the data seems to have revealed, but this doesn’t mean it is still not dangerous, or deadly, for the unvaccinated:

Well I dont know what the definition of mild is, but there are lots of hospita!izations
and deaths due to Omicron-- I think somehow the term mild got repeated so
often with respect to Omicron, that people think it is just a little sore throat
and a sniffle when in fact it can be deadly .

Be well.
At the height of Covid in February 2020, I had a traumatic break to my femur. It was complicated due to the break occurring at my knee replacement. I was transported to a orthopedic hospital and bypassed ER and was sent directly to a room. The entire 4 day stay, I wore a mask and only removed it for surgery and to eat. I was so afraid to contract Covid during my stay because I wasn’t eligible for the vaccine. However, the day I was discharged and with a rod in my femur from the hip to my knee, I qualified and received my 1st immunization.
Good luck with your procedure and stay healthy.

This reminds me of the Netflix movie
The God Committee.
Very, very sad IMO
People who smoke can’t get a transplant, people who drink alcohol can’t get a liver transplant. These are just a few examples.

Organs for transplant are rare, and they need to be given to patients who have the best chance of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173