Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like lots of people are going out and about without spending much time
Iso!ating for very long---I dont have much confidence in those home tests
Also, we know that many people are experiencing rebound of covid-19 after having taken paxlovid, so maybe testing negative after five days isn't enough to warrant end of quarantine period.

Seems like lots of people are going out and about without spending much time
Iso!ating for very long---I dont have much confidence in those home tests
IMO, you can be confident about positive home test results. Negative test results early on could be false negatives (see below).

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising people to perform repeat, or serial, testing following a negative result on any at-home COVID-19 antigen test, to reduce the risk an infection may be missed (false negative result) and to help prevent people from unknowingly spreading the SARS-CoV-2 virus to others. The FDA recommends repeat testing following a negative result whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms.
[...]

When you perform an at-home COVID-19 antigen test, and you get a positive result, the results are typically accurate. However, if you perform an at-home COVID-19 antigen test, you could get a false negative result. This means that the test may not detect the SARS-CoV-2 virus that is in your nasal swab sample. This could happen if you test soon after you get an infection, especially if you don't have COVID-19 symptoms. If you receive a false negative test result, you may unknowingly spread the SARS-CoV-2 virus to others....

IMO, you can be confident about positive home test results. Negative test results early on could be false negatives (see below).

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising people to perform repeat, or serial, testing following a negative result on any at-home COVID-19 antigen test, to reduce the risk an infection may be missed (false negative result) and to help prevent people from unknowingly spreading the SARS-CoV-2 virus to others. The FDA recommends repeat testing following a negative result whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms.
[...]

When you perform an at-home COVID-19 antigen test, and you get a positive result, the results are typically accurate. However, if you perform an at-home COVID-19 antigen test, you could get a false negative result. This means that the test may not detect the SARS-CoV-2 virus that is in your nasal swab sample. This could happen if you test soon after you get an infection, especially if you don't have COVID-19 symptoms. If you receive a false negative test result, you may unknowingly spread the SARS-CoV-2 virus to others....

Thank you for that important information---

I read online that Jill Biden has already tested negative and she is out and about already. Things sure have changed with regard to quarantining time.

Edited to add MSM link. Says she isolated for five days.

IIRC, Jill Biden was treated with Paxlovid like her husband who had a rebound of Covid. I wonder if Jill will experience a rebound and if it would be made known to the public? She quarantined in South Carolina where they had been vacationing but has joined the President in Delaware.

IIRC, Jill Biden was treated with Paxlovid like her husband who had a rebound of Covid. I wonder if Jill will experience a rebound and if it would be made known to the public? She quarantined in South Carolina where they had been vacationing but has joined the President in Delaware.
I don't know whether we would hear if she had a rebound.

The Bidens were staying on Kiawah Island, SC, and friends of ours were also staying there with family. (They didn't see the Bidens.) Our friends' grandson was supposed to join the family for the week, but he got Covid and had to quarantine. So it goes!

I don't know whether we would hear if she had a rebound.

The Bidens were staying on Kiawah Island, SC, and friends of ours were also staying there with family. (They didn't see the Bidens.) Our friends' grandson was supposed to join the family for the week, but he got Covid and had to quarantine. So it goes!

And so it goes is right!!!

On Monday, the drugmakers Pfizer and BioNTech announced that they've asked the Food and Drug Administration to authorize an updated version of their COVID-19 vaccine — this one designed specifically to target the omicron subvariants that are dominant in the U.S.

[...]

Scientists say the development of COVID-19 vaccines may go the way of flu vaccines, which are changed every year to try to match the strains that are likely to be circulating.

“According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. is still seeing an average more than 88,000 cases per day and just under 400 deaths per day.

“Now, that is what the new normal is going to be. It's not going be an absence of COVID, it's going to be a living with it at a low enough level that it doesn't disrupt us," Fauci says.

While Fauci doesn’t think masks in outdoor settings are necessary, he says it’s prudent to wear a mask indoors if the community has a high number of COVID-19 cases. He says more vaccinations and booster shots are the best defense against the virus.

“We are doing very poorly as a nation in getting people vaccinated and boosted for a wealthy country like the United States that has all of the resources necessary to get everybody vaccinated and boosted up to date. We rank relatively low in the world.”

On Monday, the drugmakers Pfizer and BioNTech announced that they've asked the Food and Drug Administration to authorize an updated version of their COVID-19 vaccine — this one designed specifically to target the omicron subvariants that are dominant in the U.S.

[...]

Scientists say the development of COVID-19 vaccines may go the way of flu vaccines, which are changed every year to try to match the strains that are likely to be circulating.
Here in Germany I asked my doctor about a second booster and he advised me to wait until the fall when an adapted vaccine is available. I got Pfizer three times.

Saw this local report on Covid test kits and thought others might like to watch/read. Our government-issued test kits expired July 20 but I didn't toss them. Nice to know that they should be good for another six months.

Saw this local report on Covid test kits and thought others might like to watch/read. Our government-issued test kits expired July 20 but I didn't toss them. Nice to know that they should be good for another six months.
Good news about the latest extensions on the expiration dates.

Here is the updated FDA info page with a multi-page table for all the different brands of home tests.

Moderna said Friday that it is suing Pfizer and BioNTech, alleging that the two companies copied Moderna's technology to make its Covid vaccine Comirnaty...

The patent infringement lawsuits were filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and the Regional Court of Düsseldorf in Germany, according to a news release...

Moderna said Friday that it is suing Pfizer and BioNTech, alleging that the two companies copied Moderna's technology to make its Covid vaccine Comirnaty...

The patent infringement lawsuits were filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and the Regional Court of Düsseldorf in Germany, according to a news release...

That is quite an allegation!

When Jennifer Ritz Sullivan's mother, Earla, died of Covid in December 2020, pandemic protocols meant she couldn't be in the hospital with Earla as she took her last breath.

She couldn't hug her sister — or be hugged in return — as the two women grieved virtually on FaceTime.

So Ritz Sullivan, 38, of Goshen, Massachusetts, turned to social media as an outlet for her grief...

:(:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member