Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight I'm making cabbage rolls in the crockpot. Unfortunately we lost our stove earlier this month and didn't have enough time to replace it so I'm doing a lot of crockpot cooking.

I can see my anxiety turning to wanting comfort food. My mom's been gone for years but right now I miss her and am sorry I didn't pay attention to more of the delicious ethnic foods she made. Cabbage rolls was a staple in my home.

She survived the Spanish Flu and the depression. She worked in the bomber plant in Michigan during the war. She was a survivor and did her best to instill that "fight" in me growing up. If she were still alive she'd see to it that we would get through this. She would expect me to be a "survivor" too and I intend to honor that standard.

Sorry for being so maudlin tonight. And thank you guys for posting the latest news - WS is my goto for information. I feel safe here. Hugs. :)

My grandmother worked at the bomber plant and taught school at 17. She would pick milkweed to make parachutes. Yes i agree home cooked foods and ancestry have really been a theme thru the last few week and more to come. I watch alot of womens stories about the war and pandemics.

He’s been very candid, imo. He seems all business.
Amazing stats in his favor, he evidently got thru to a large number.

I thought this was interesting. DeWine was the first governor to put strict mandates on the people of his state. To be honest it scared the beegeebers out of me at the time. Anyhow here's results on poll questions asked of Ohioans.

Coronavirus: Nearly 80% of Ohioans like how DeWine is handling crisis

Nearly eight in 10 voters in Ohio approve of how Gov. Mike DeWine is handling the coronavirus crisis and nearly nine in 10 are concerned about how the pandemic will impact the economy, according the Baldwin Wallace University Great Lakes poll.

Most Ohioans — 67.9% — think the worst of the crisis is yet to come.
The poll found broad support for DeWine’s decisions:

• 87.7% support shutting K-12 schools.

• 81.5% support shutting daycare centers.

• 76.5% support shutting bars and restaurants.

• 86.2% support limiting public gatherings.

• 70.6% support changing the primary election date.

• roughly eight in 10 support canceling or postponing sporting events.

• 90.8% support making people impacted by the virus eligible for jobless benefits.

Three-quarters of Ohio voters say they’re concerned about the impact of the virus on their personal finances, 69% are worried they or an immediate family member may get infected, 80.4% say they’ve changed their daily routine and 85% report that they’re paying attention to the coronavirus news.

okay, team, where do I get lysol?? I love lysol but cannot find it.

A can usually lasted 5 years, and now after 2 weeks it is gone.

What kind of hand lotion to use, my hands are so dry and cracked that they are blueing - I know gross.

I cannot find Lysol either so I am using any spray cleaner that says it can kill 99.9% of bacteria.

As for your cracked hands, good old Vaseline. Really!

I go to an Amish market near work. They get crowded, as they have about 15-20 stores. I assumed they would close during this crisis, but yeah, probably not. Yes, they have obscure items that you don't find, spices. red hot dollars, different ingredients. You must be near Pa or MD.
I'm in VA. One is crowded and small, but the other 2 are large and plenty of room to social distance. They also had Lysol and Clorox products for whomever was asking. None of the three have closed here ... they are technically grocery stores, just less crowded.

Why? People want meats and cheeses, etc. I don't understand this. More laid off employees, for what reason? Are they not all encased in plexiglas? Here in California they are.
I honestly do not get this.
Do you have an idea as to why?

The state shut down all self-serve beverages.

I just received word that ShopRite shut down their deli departments.

okay, team, where do I get lysol?? I love lysol but cannot find it.

A can usually lasted 5 years, and now after 2 weeks it is gone.

What kind of hand lotion to use, my hands are so dry and cracked that they are bleeding - I know gross.

You can use oil IMO if you get desperate (olive, coconut, etc) Jmo

I just went out to the garage to look for it, but all I could find was my grandmas "Cooking with Grass" Cookbook.

ps: if you ever saw the Original Fog movie my grandma was Mrs. Kobritz, the elderly babysitter who was devoured by the fog.
I just sleuthed your Grandma......LOL!...... I bet she could tell some fun movie stories......moo

Still working and staying busy, walking the dogs 2 miles per day for sanity. We were never social butterflies but our weekend dinners with friends are out.

Trying to decide how badly I want fresh produce and dairy tomorrow and is worth braving the grocery. Our usual store is in county that only has 2 cases but I’m not sure how many they have tested. Explained to my husband he can wait in the car, if I go, I’ll get what I need and get out. He’s a smart guy but I still had to explain having two of us in the store makes it twice as likely one of us will touch a contaminated surface, four hands instead of two.

Taking a small risk and getting take out tomorrow night from my favorite restaurant. I really don’t want them to go out of business. Owner is the chef, her and her husband are keeping it open as best they can. They are preparing the meals and then you take them home and bake them so less chance as long as they are cooked properly.

Farrier is coming out tomorrow as well. Not willing to let my horses feet go and I don’t see an end in sight soon, but he travels from barn to barn. He washes his hands to prevent the spread of other microbes between barns but I’m still a bit nervous. Will try to keep 6 feet (or a horse length) between us. My equine vet is isolating herself except for emergencies. Hopefully I won’t need her out. TBH I usually only need her when she is out of town so as long as she stays home, the horses should be fine. About a year ago she went to WY and the next night I had degloving injury.

Neighbors seem to be having a crawfish boil. Bars are closed so it’s the new hot spot, sigh.
Our farm vets sent emails/texts about limited availability.
I need to call to find out about pulling Coggins, and routine vaccinations. I guess vets are also struggling to find PPE. Moo

Last edited:
Absolutely. Anyone who is taking untested drugs is playing with their health and taking the role of guinea pig while researchers test theories. If someone wants to volunteer to test a drug, they should be properly compensated prior to the start of the trial.

With all due respect, off label drugs require a prescription from a physician. The patient has to agree. Nobody in an ICU in the U.S. being treated for Covid-19 is being treated as a guinea pig. They are being cared for by unselfish professionals who are experts trying to save them, not kill them.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member