CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, FOUND DECEASED Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting insight from the Yale Daily News comments:

The hallway showed in the picture is not at all a "high security" zone of the basement. It is basically the trash pickup area. Maybe the reporters wanted to show the "gloomiest" zone, and it is. The other areas, coming from the elevator, look nicer with the vending machines and access to the stairwell and outside (emergency exit). Also are the receiving dock and sorting area, the mail room, and other storage for heavy cleaning equipment. This hallway can be accessed directly from outside by swiping an ID (and a smile to the camera), or from inside the building through the elevators (after passing the camera and security desk, not gestapo) as most do. Many people have legitimate reasons to go in and out teh buiding without a background check. All that extra security was set up because of the politicized threats against the Stem Cell Center at that time.
It is unreasonable to ask for more security and personal body guards while at work, and since it seems that the criminal is a fully legitimate employee gone nuts, lack of security is not the issue here.
The police and FBI have methodically done everything they could considering the information they had at the time. Their dogs sniffed every inch of the building, and we moved boxes or small furniture to give access to hidden corners. They opened/removed any visible panel on walls and ceilings. It was very thorough. The place is full of sophisticated equipment and there is plenty of double walls to hide all the "guts and behinds" of electronic control panels and other venting apparatus so it looks nice and tidy. Who want to see the back of an autoclave?
I suppose that only after they were sure there was no gap in the security system, did they focus on an in-house criminal and looked at the blue prints to locate hidden cavities, most unknown even by those who work there. Why not blame the architects next?
Only a camera within the facility could have helped to find Annie sooner by tracking her steps further along, but it may not have been enough to prevent the crime. As Pres. Levin said, "you can't stop evil", and evil it was. One person's mind snapped and all the security in the world can't change that. I feel so sorry for Annie, her fiance, their families and friends. And I hope I never met the person who did it...

Article and photo referenced is here:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/15/crime-scene-unsealed/

The NY Daily News obviously knows who the suspect is so why are they not revealing name?

Could it be he has flown the proverbial coop? If an arrangement was made thru his attny that he would stay available by phone with LE and suddenly he wasn't there or available, it could be a reason they would swoop on his residence. Just sayin'.

no they don't. they are pulling an ap wire which they atrribute thus:
"Public records show the lab tech lives in a first-floor apartment at the complex in Middletown, about 20 miles from the Yale, The Associated Press reports."

So someone at AP knows . Why not give the name? because they undoubtably have several thresholds of clear and authoritative official sourcing before they tag someone as a murder suspect. Think "Richard Jewell" Those thresholds were probably not reached when the story was filed. It is less egregious an error to publish police activity at a residence than a actual name.,

Yep.

The media can be a bunch of scum too so you can bank on the name being released pretty soon. Somebody is going to release it and take their chances.

O/T, but I wanted to say that I've been reading all the great information here and learning a lot. I was especially interested in Labrat's info. Anyway, I guess I've been reading on here too long, because I started noticing someone else's posts and I thought they had a cool handle, "Labrat". I was totally reading it as LA brat. I was actually thinking it could be my daughter posting. LOL :crazy: I think I'm losing my mind.

Thank you! I know- I'm so annoyed with myself. I should have done it LabRat. My DH was reading over my shoulder right after I signed up and said "La Brat?! How'd you come up with that?" I need the head/desk smiley! LOL.

With the report of an official SUV following and pulling over drivers, it also makes me wonder if they lost the suspect as well.

no they could just have him located in the building and are triple checking any vehicles leaving just in case. nothing wrong with being overly cautious even if you have men at every door.

no they don't. they are pulling an ap wire which they atrribute thus:
"Public records show the lab tech lives in a first-floor apartment at the complex in Middletown, about 20 miles from the Yale, The Associated Press reports."

To continue my post from the other thread. There has also been a report that the suspect lives at the Wharfside Commons. I used the neighbor search at whitepages.com and at 411.com to find all the even numbered listings on Ferry St between the 30 and 90 block. I then checked the males listed against the CT Courts database and didn't find any matches with the suspect's traffic violation.

The Wharfside Commons is a huge building and looks like it has a sister complex on the same side of the street and the neighbor search didn't provide nearly enough names to fill them so there are surely some names that didn't show up. If someone else has an idea about how to get all the names for the apt complexes I would be interested. Wharfside Commons is listed at 60 Ferry St Middletown CT.

AP: 'Person of interest' in Yale death
Updated: Tuesday, 15 Sep 2009, 4:23 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 15 Sep 2009, 4:23 PM EDT
<snipped>
A Connecticut official says New Haven police have identified a "person of interest" in the death of a Yale University graduate student.

The state official has firsthand knowledge of the police investigation in the death of 24-year-old Annie Le.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation in Le's killing is ongoing.

A New Haven police spokesman did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Article:
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_ha...person_of_interest_in_yale_death_200909151619

:angel:

Lab tech 'suspect in bride-to-be killing'
<snipped>
An infatuated laboratory technician has reportedly emerged as the chief suspect in the US slaying of a doctoral student at an Ivy League university.

The Yale technician conducted animal testing at the building where Annie Le's body was found stuffed into a wall duct on Sunday, the New Haven Register reports.

The technician also failed a FBI lie detector test before refusing to answer further police questions, the report said.

The man was said to have an "unrequited love interest" in the 24-year-old bride-to-be, who was to be married to her long-time sweetheart at the weekend.

Those people were being closely monitored as the investigation continued, he said.

Police have said that no students are being considered suspects.

Article:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/863632/lab-tech-suspect-in-bride-to-be-killing

:angel:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/15/crime-scene-unsealed/

That's a great find, postdoc. I saw that photo earlier today and thought it looked like the loading dock. That's probably as close as they could get. I have yet to work in an animal facility that allows any one in to take photos.

It does surprise me that there are no cameras in the hallways of the animal facility, though.

Thanks for the new thread Christine.

During this pause I have been trying to figure out why the ME releasing a COD would impede the ongoing investigation.

Realizing last night it was intimated the test results coming back before 3 this afternoon is probably why they set the ME's results to be given at that hour. That duck would be in the row so to speak.

Yesterday on NG I heard De Lee say the DNA results could take a couple of days. That fits with this afternoon, right?

So IMO this delay has to do with some detail regarding how she was killed, in what manner, with what tool or equipment, etc. It could be something very simple that is much more complicated legally that LE needs to resolve, maybe even with the prosecutor's advice.

As an example, I am thinking that since we read right away the steam setting off an alarm was done on purpose by someone, and this is relative to her death in some way, it could be the lack of his fingerprint on that nob that is an issue.

Any ideas? xox

Hi there scandi...just my take...The cause of death may involve a crucial or very particular fact that only the perp would know. Maybe they are waiting for DNA. No arrest - would indicate to me there has been no confession and perhaps not enough info to make an airtight case...yet. The DA has to prove this case to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt and not a one of us would want it to be any other way. A question - where did you get the info that the steam that set off an alarm was done on purpose? TIA

Several points that need attention...
1)- Why was the case "treated" by police as a homicide? When it is clear cut Murder- the evidence found screams murder - not manslaughter or generic homicide...
2) - When will they raise the level of the investigation to a "Murder"?
3) - If the victim had been a Senator's daughter from D.C. it would have been automatically refered to by police as a "murder" to begin with-
Pardon me for asking but I am new here and have a keen interest in this case-
Thank You - WS & all

Any reporter who follows the police to the apartment can witness them knock on the door of a first floor residence - without actually knowing further details-this is called "reporting" - not as complicated as holding back evidence -or leaking-

Is there a possibility that LE has lost track of their suspect? Just wondering why they would be stopping and talking to people in the area of where suspect lives.

I thought his lawyers were going to watch him and make sure he went nowhere?? (or am I thinking of another case?)

How could they screw up a case so badly?

1)- Why was the case "treated" by police as a homicide? When it is clear cut Murder- the evidence found screams murder - not manslaughter or generic homicide...
3) - If the victim had been a Senator's daughter from D.C. it would have been automatically refered to by police as a "murder" to begin with-
Thank You - WS & all

bolded by me.

Homicide is murder. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homicide

The Wharfside Commons is a huge building and looks like it has a sister complex on the same side of the street and the neighbor search didn't provide nearly enough names to fill them so there are surely some names that didn't show up. If someone else has an idea about how to get all the names for the apt complexes I would be interested. Wharfside Commons is listed at 60 Ferry St Middletown CT.

I went through all of the names at that address and googled them with "yale" and "lab tech" and found nothing. So I'm guessing he's unlisted, or hasn't been there long, or some other reason.

Thank You - WS & all

It's just medico-legal terminology- it means murder

Forensic autopsy

A forensic autopsy is used to determine the cause of death. Forensic science involves the application of the sciences to answer questions of interest to the legal system. In United States law, deaths are placed in one of five manners:

* Natural
* Accident
* Homicide
* Suicide
* Undetermined

The defense will have a great time with that info. Just can't believe media walked in and did as they pleased. Doesn't that mean anyone could have walked in and tampered, moved the body, etc.? Also, with Annie's history of professionalism and dedication, I'm shocked LE thought she would ran away without a word to anyone. I felt LE was doing a decent job, once they actually started, but now I reserve the right to change my mind. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean