CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the alarm went off didn't everyone just exit in large groups that they couldn't really tell if she was in the crowd or not?

I agree with you, it's suspicious. At the presser today though, the Yale VP said that the fire alarms used in the lab are NOT the kind that you can pull/trip. They go off automatically when they detect steam/smoke. So, IF the alarm were connected to the case someone would've had to have inside knowledge of the lab to know that the alarms would trip when steam was present..it is not something they could pull and set off.

completely agree.
SS, are you still on here? Remember a convo we had a long time ago in Caylee's case about following the money? Maybe this isn't even a factor but I wonder about research grants. Who supplied the grant and how much was it, who has control over it, what exactly were they researching? Was it molecular development? If so, isn't that unstable? Could Annie have discovered something that somebody else wanted credit for? Or if she did discover something, could they lose the grant? Not to run the professor through the mud, but how long has he actually been a professor...or assistant professor? If an understudy of his discovers something, could he himself be thrown out of the grant with a new team leader being put into place? I wonder how members of their research team were chosen. Did they have to apply or were they approached by Science scouts? Does anyone know exactly how many people are part of this team, exactly where they graduated from, ages and familial backgrounds? I always though janitors or maintenance people didn't have access to private labs. Am I mistaken? I mean, the kind of research labs that have team members with high capabilities and intelligent subject matters. Alot of times they are getting HUGE grants from the government. Isn't Yale one of the first universities to introduce cloning? I know Germany & I believe the UK beat us to it, but that seriously deals with molecular makeup as well as dna testing and splicing. I know it's stated Annie was in Pharmacology, but still...just thinkin'...

1. You would think that they would have checked above the ceiling tiles the first day of her disappearance especially if there was no evidence of her leaving.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Sometimes I wonder what LE is thinking (or not thinking!).

Thank you very much for your cultural/background insights, too. I've found them to be very helpful. Please continue to add to the discussion!

FBI: Student's body has not been found
Published Saturday, September 12, 2009
<snipped>
Media reports emerged on Saturday afternoon that Le's body had been found inside the Amistad Street building. Those reports were quickly dismissed.

"I will categorically say a body has not been found," Mertz said

A fire alarm that sounded in the Amistad Street facility at 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday is thought to have been a false alarm, Mertz said. Someone working in the lab produced steam that tripped the alarm, she said.

As part of that investigation, FBI agents undertook several complete sweeps of 10 Amistad St., bringing in bloodhounds and even combing through trash in a dumpster outside the building. They searched Le's apartment at 188 Lawrence St. as well as her computer and phone for clues. As the search perimeter expanded, agents also searched medical school buildings in the surrounding area.

Article:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/12/no-body-has-been-found-authorities-say/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Student life goes on cautiously at Yale
Updated: Saturday, 12 Sep 2009, 10:33 PM EDT
Published : Saturday, 12 Sep 2009, 10:28 PM EDT
<snipped>
With all the uncertainty, students say they have changed their social habits a bit.

"You definitely want to be with people all the time. And when you are trying to get from point A to point B you should just be secure with who you are around," Manzer said.

Information from authorities has only trickled out to the public. People say they are frustrated and freightened about not knowing.

"And that's the scariest part because there is no information. It's not a closed case. I mean, if she's dead is the killer still out there?" Chloe Drimal, a Yale freshman. said.

And that type of thinking can drive a mom a thousand miles away crazy.

"She's freaking out. But I told her I'm on old campus, security is everywhere, we are fine," Natalie Papillon, a Yale freshman, said.

*NOTE: Video Report Included In Article!

Article:
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_ha..._life_goes_on_cautiously_at_yale_200909122221
Bloody clothes found in Yale lab where Annie Le last seen; Officials deny reports of body found
Updated Saturday, September 12th 2009, 10:01 PM
<snipped>
Cops discovered bride-to-be Annie Le's blood-stained clothes stuffed in the ceiling of the building at 10 Amistad St. in New Haven, the source said.

Still, authorities gave no clue they were any closer to solving Le's baffling disappearance.

"We're not in a position today to say whether this is a missing person case or whether criminality is involved," FBI spokeswoman Kim Mertz said.

"Items that could potentially be evidence have been seized. "

Authorities emptied the building Saturday afternoon and declared it a crime scene.

Article:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...nt_annie_les_disappearance_say_case_wide.html
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KymrK-78k4"]YouTube - Yale Student Search Continues[/ame]

:angel:

I feel so rude...WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE all you new people! So nice to share ideas and concerns. Thanks for joining. :blowkiss:

When the alarm went off didn't everyone just exit in large groups that they couldn't really tell if she was in the crowd or not?

I think I read the same thing...and that's why they're still looking through surveillance tapes frame by frame.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RweLSOC2UR0"]YouTube - Items Seized in Missing Yale Student's Case[/ame]

:angel:

One other important note re "cold feet" theories. Vietnamese have two important ceremonies (dam hoi - engagement) and (dam cuoi - wedding). The first is just between the families. The grooms family will deliver some presents to the brides family and ask for her hand, and she will receive a ring. Even Americanized Vietnamese follow this custom strictly in most cases. Once the engagement is done, the wedding will be held later. Also, the engagement is almost considered like marriage and a real bond, so very few will not go through with the wedding, except in some very very severe case, like the boyfriend was caught red-handed cheating. The engagement ceremony is rather formal and a big deal, and involves the families a lot.

It would be interesting to know if their parents had done this engagement ceremony yet - it is usually done at the home of the bride - maybe that is why they recently traveled back to CA? If that was done, I highly doubt it would be cold feet now, as very few back out.

Here is a summary of VN wedding customs
http://www.vietnambudgettour.com/webplus/viewer.asp?aid=869&pgid=26

A couple times, one a girl was in a crawl space under a house another the boy was in a off limits boiler room i think.

Yes I recall the case of the boy found in the boiler room. He was thought to be related to the Smiley face cases but then was found in there after long and extensive searches.

Tonite on geraldo..Kim was asked how likely was it LE had LIED re: body & she said they would never do that especially not during a presser..They will be untruthful/misleading during interrogations with perps tho which is acceptable procedure.

Joe P. is so sure she is not still in there he will be in shock if her body is found inside.

Craig interviewed X-LE who said it would only take about 5 hrs to go thru tapes & with so many LE involved not too long to search entire building..It is not the Taj Mahal..IOW!..Both should have been done long before now & probably has been.

completely agree.
SS, are you still on here? Remember a convo we had a long time ago in Caylee's case about following the money? Maybe this isn't even a factor but I wonder about research grants. Who supplied the grant and how much was it, who has control over it, what exactly were they researching? Was it molecular development? If so, isn't that unstable? Could Annie have discovered something that somebody else wanted credit for? Or if she did discover something, could they lose the grant? Not to run the professor through the mud, but how long has he actually been a professor...or assistant professor? If an understudy of his discovers something, could he himself be thrown out of the grant with a new team leader being put into place? I wonder how members of their research team were chosen. Did they have to apply or were they approached by Science scouts? Does anyone know exactly how many people are part of this team, exactly where they graduated from, ages and familial backgrounds? I always though janitors or maintenance people didn't have access to private labs. Am I mistaken? I mean, the kind of research labs that have team members with high capabilities and intelligent subject matters. Alot of times they are getting HUGE grants from the government. Isn't Yale one of the first universities to introduce cloning? I know Germany & I believe the UK beat us to it, but that seriously deals with molecular makeup as well as dna testing and splicing. I know it's stated Annie was in Pharmacology, but still...just thinkin'...

Great post again JerseyGirl. I'm thinking if that were the case it would have been a very well planned and executed crime. Hiding bloody clothing in the bldg would be a bad move, and he would probably have a plastic sack to put them in and not leave them on scene.

Your idea is most thought provoking tho. It would be right up there IMO with the sexual assult of a beautiful girl someone has targeted and who most likely she knew, as the TH's are saying tonight.

IF the alarm originated from HER lab, it would make her absence more apparent once everyone returned to the bldg no? If this were my office building, with a small # of co-workers, we'd be scouting out immediately. This is absolutely bizarre!

Okay I"m officially lost ~ I"m sorry!

What is the name of the man taken in for questioning today? A Professor of some sort IIRC?

TIA for throwing me the name :)

I think I read the same thing...and that's why they're still looking through surveillance tapes frame by frame.

If I was the bad guy, I'd would know about the cameras and the key card. Our perp avoided both. We are looking for someone who dodged the camera and got in right after someone else used their card, through the closing door. He stalked her, in my opinion. He wanted to do it on campus, to spite her newspaper article.

There would have been better opportunities than the one the perp took. He had something to prove. He wanted to terrorize the Yale females...It appears from the Yale newspaper that there was some male/female waring going on, which was brought to light by an email which categorized female students by their looks. I'll find the article if anyone cares. Our perp is a man expressing anger at the powerful female intellectuals at Yale. He wants them scared.

Tonite on geraldo..Kim was asked how likely was it LE had LIED re: body & she said they would never do that especially not during a presser..They will be untruthful/misleading during interrogations with perps tho which is acceptable procedure.

Joe P. is so sure she is not still in there he will be in shock if her body is found inside.

Craig interviewed X-LE who said it would only take about 5 hrs to go thru tapes & with so many LE involved not too long to search entire building..It is not the Taj Mahal..IOW!..Both should have been done long before now & probably has been.

I watched Geraldo tonight, but I didn't hear Joe P. say that....not doubting you....just didn't hear that for some reason.

Okay I"m officially lost ~ I"m sorry!

What is the name of the man taken in for questioning today? A Professor of some sort IIRC?

TIA for throwing me the name :)

It is getting confusing, isn't it?? I don't think we know, though. It hasn't been mentioned in any of ther reports I've read.

completely agree.

bold by me

Supposedly, the Prof has been cleared but that does not rule out your theory as you know :)

Scandi and JerseyGirl:
Your theory seems more likely to me than a theft of equipment. There is huge money in this research. I knew some folks in a PhD program in pharma and biotech on the West Coast and all of the professors were multi-multi millionaires from royalties on patents they had licensed to biotech companies, so, the stakes could be high if there was a dispute over inventorship, or if she discovered that someone hadn't invented something that they claimed. The grad students that I knew in CA were hoping to someday cash in like their professors. Sometimes it is the students that invent something, but they feel obligated to list their professor as a co-inventor to repay them for their mentoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB