CT CT - Janice Pockett, 7, Tolland, 26 July 1973

two more days and it will be the 31st ann of janice pockett missing.. i hope someday we can find the answers to her vanishing

I have no idea if these are in any way related, but when I read this story I immediately thought of Janice...

Mary Olenchuk, 13, went missing from her parents' vacation home in Ogunquit, ME on August 9th, 1970. The family actually lived in Joliet, IL. Her father, a retired general, was the former commander of Fort Derrick. On August 24th, 1970, the decomposed remains of Mary were found in an abandoned barn near Kennebunk, ME.

A witness had reported to police she observed Mary park her bike and get into a maroon car operated by an unknown male. I Googled her name and found a site that lists her murder as still unsolved.

mere said:
Was Janices bike ever found?

Yes, her bike was found right away. Go a few posts up in this thread and Janice's sister describes how they found her bike on the side of the road, with it's kick stand down. Other accounts of this case also mention how Janice's bike was found, but no trace of her anywhere. I believe I read somewhere her bike is still in the evidence room at the police station, but I'm not sure.

her bike is deff in the evidence room i have spoken to a few people who are involved in her case and they have the only thing that was left behind which was the bike

Just an off-the-wall question...I wonder if the bike was ever checked for forensic evidence. The person who grabbed Janice may have handled the bike, possibly to move it out of the way or place it in a less obvious location. There could be prints or something that were missed originally but may be detected with more modern methods.

shadowangel said:
Just an off-the-wall question...I wonder if the bike was ever checked for forensic evidence. The person who grabbed Janice may have handled the bike, possibly to move it out of the way or place it in a less obvious location. There could be prints or something that were missed originally but may be detected with more modern methods.

yes i feel the same way to i have spoken to a few people and one of them is not sure if they ever did and the other one is geting back to me if they havent i think they should dust or do whatever it is they do to find the stuff on the bike and enter it in a database

Would finger prints still be on the bike after all this time?

More than likely, yes. As long as they have not been disturbed. The problem usually comes in the handling of the evidence, as sometimes the evidence is no longer handled with much care if it has supposedly been checked...However, consider the variety of surfaces on a bike where prints or other evidence could be-under the seat, perhaps, if the bike were picked up, palm prints if someone were to wrap a hand around one of the bars...

I think it is worth a look, in any event.

In 1973 would they check for prints as standard procedure?

Fingerprinting for evidence has been procedure for forever, I just wonder...Would they have printed the bike? I'm not so sure that they would have. LE may not have thought there was anything to be gained by it.

They also did not have the fingerprint data bases that they have today.

Precisely! And, for all anyone knows, the sick *advertiser censored* who took Janice may have left DNA on the bike...Hopefully Smile22 can push someone into doing something with this!

shadowangel said:
Precisely! And, for all anyone knows, the sick *advertiser censored* who took Janice may have left DNA on the bike...Hopefully Smile22 can push someone into doing something with this!

i am going to email a the dectctive in charge of her case and see what they can find

I am 99 % sure that the police dusted Janice's bike for fingerprints. It is still in the possesion of the state police. The police also came into our home and dusted for fingerprints (Janice's toys for example), and I recall getting printed myself.
I know that the police are still interested in speaking with Nathaniel Bar Jonah, who is in prison in Montana I believe, but are waiting for all of his appeals to be completed.
Janice would have been 40 on October 15th. Hard to believe....

There are a lot of new techniques and materials which have come in to use in the intervening years which may develop new prints or other forensic evidence that may have been missed in '73.

It is certainly worth the effort, in my belief, since the bike is still available for testing.

while doing some research i came upon a man named Roland W Slater of Vernon. he was a volunteer firefighter at the time that janice vanished and he was the first one at the scene to respond to the search. futher searching he was charged on attemped kidnaping in 77 while picking up a women needing a ride when he refused to drop her off at her stop she pleaded with him he pulled out a knife she ended up jumping out of his car and spend 6 days in the hospital. he was also on parole from prison where he was serving a one year 3rd degree assault on an attack of a tolland girl. also in 76 he pointed a bb gun to a women he has had prio history of hurting women i wonder if le have ever linked him to janice

smile22 said:
while doing some research i came upon a man named Roland W Slater of Vernon. he was a volunteer firefighter at the time that janice vanished and he was the first one at the scene to respond to the search. futher searching he was charged on attemped kidnaping in 77 while picking up a women needing a ride when he refused to drop her off at her stop she pleaded with him he pulled out a knife she ended up jumping out of his car and spend 6 days in the hospital. he was also on parole from prison where he was serving a one year 3rd degree assault on an attack of a tolland girl. also in 76 he pointed a bb gun to a women he has had prio history of hurting women i wonder if le have ever linked him to janice
Where is he now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back