GUILTY CT - Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, & 2 daughters killed in home invasion, 23 July 2007

Judge Rules Sole Survivor of Triple-Homicide Home Invasion May Attend Trial

Komisarjevsky’s defense attorneys said it was necessary to sequester Petit in order to protect the defendant’s right to a fair trial.

Victim’s Advocate Michelle S. Cruz filed a response motion in July arguing that Petit has a right to attend the trial under the Victims’ Rights Amendment of the state Constitution.

The Register quoted Cruz that the ruling was a "victory for victim’s rights."

http://milford.patch.com/articles/j...riple-homicide-home-invasion-may-attend-trial

A lot of inconsistencies in the newly released statement by JK. I honestly dont know if it would make a difference one way or the other.

This is a good question. The book (from the excerps I've read ) makes JK out to be much more of a monster than the statement to police. Is the author a listed witness for the prosecution?

I am not sure, but if they wish to use any of the letters (that is if they have access to them, I am not sure what the legal requirements of the author are - can the police sieze the letters if he chose to not hand them over?) then he will have to be called to say yes the letters were sent to me before they could be entered in as evidence,

I am not sure how much the book will feature at trial, the state has his journal so they will use that,

You're right, the journal is what I was thinking about. The defense will probably point out that the journal shows that he was generally really non-violent. But he has admitted to savagely beating Dr. Petit, so that goes out the window. Plus the journal doesnt show him as the type to be a follower or to lose control of a situation.

The DA could certainly subpoena the author and his notes/letters if they wanted/needed.

This case is so heartbreaking...when I imagine all that happened I feel sick to my stomach.

It was pretty senseless Shefner. So unnecessary to snuff out a family for no reason.

This case is so heartbreaking...when I imagine all that happened I feel sick to my stomach.

It truly is heartbreaking. There are simply times when I must take a break from it much like the Zahra Baker case

Does anyone know if the trial will be live streamed over the net? I've been having a lot of trouble even finding trials that are not mainstream that have cameras in them. Usually there are other trials to follow and as of late, I can't find one trial to watch :(

This will be hard to follow but I feel like I need to see this through to the end!

Does anyone know if the trial will be live streamed over the net? I've been having a lot of trouble even finding trials that are not mainstream that have cameras in them. Usually there are other trials to follow and as of late, I can't find one trial to watch :(

This will be hard to follow but I feel like I need to see this through to the end!

IIRC, Hayes' trial wasn't. I had to follow tweets from reporters in the courtroom.

Hayes trial wasn't, not sure the judge will allow this one to be either
but there were some great live blogs and twitterers to follow from Hayes trial and I hope they will do so for this one

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/n...?_r=1&pagewanted=2&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytmetro

The defense has signaled it will also reveal striking detail about the life of Mr. Komisarjevsky — “a damaged human being,” the defense says, with a mental disorder who endured “years of trauma and abuse.”

Mark Dubois, a veteran Connecticut lawyer and law professor, said the “scorched-earth defense” seemed intended to provoke mistakes by the trial judge or others that would lead to a new trial and a new chance to avoid a death sentence years from now.

The provocations seem aimed largely at the judge, Jon C. Blue of Superior Court in New Haven. Mr. Donovan tried but failed to have him removed from the case with claims that Judge Blue lacked objectivity and had an “unsuitable temperament,” evidenced by an incident in which the judge gave spectators chocolate-chip cookies he had baked.

soon, September 19th, jury is already selected so they should be up and running from that day,

I'm really curious - if they already have a jury why aren't they starting up the trial sooner? It seems the almost three weeks gives an idle juror time to research etc (I know they're not supposed to but...)

Will the jurors be sequestered or is that even known?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back