CT - John Chakalos, 87, Windsor, 20 December 2013 *Grandson arrested in 2022, found dead in 2023*

This family has another tragedy and now a stoke of luck. John's daughter Linda Carman and grandson Nathan Carman left Pt. Judith, RI on September 18 in a small boat to go fishing off Block Island. They failed to return and the Coast Guard mounted a huge search. The search was called off on Sunday. Today, Nathan Carman was picked up by a freighter 100 miles off Martha's Vineyard after 8 days adrift in an inflatable raft. He said that he looked for his mother when he was getting into the raft as the boat took on water, but he did not see her. He had some food and water in the raft.

http://www.providencejournal.com/ne...-guard-boat-sank-fast-he-didnt-see-his-mother

Oops, a few corrections. The mother and son left Pt. Judith on Sept 17. The Coast Guard searched an area the size of Connecticut beginning on Monday, Sept 18. The search was suspended on Friday. On Sunday, the crew of the freighter Orient Lucky spotted the raft about 100 nautical miles off Martha's Vineyard and rescued Nathan. He's reported to be in good condition. The freighter is expected to reach Boston tomorrow.

There was only one inflatable raft on the boat. The Coast Guard has no plans to re-open the search for Linda.

From the picture, it seems the boat was pretty small. 31 feet long. Aluminum. I haven't read what time of day Nathan abandoned ship. He has said he looked for his mother but didn't see her.

camran.jpg

The recent Nathan carman news brought me to this thread.
Hope it stirs up interest & this cold case warms up.
I couldn't find anything else about the bookkeeper guy but would love to know how hard LE looked at him for this. Reminds me of the McStay case with the potential embezzling/ murder motive.

Anyone know where Nathan lived when grandpa was killed?
This case didn't get a lot of press & I can't find many details on family or the embezzler

There was food and water in the inflatable raft? How odd. Because one assumes with as small as the fishing boat was, that the inflatable was not inflated when they left.

Hmmmm........

There was food and water in the inflatable raft? How odd. Because one assumes with as small as the fishing boat was, that the inflatable was not inflated when they left.

Hmmmm........

Yes. Nathan may know more. Plus he is pretty thrifty since he took off from home and bought a scooter to ride to Florida in 2011 when he was 17. He did it because his horse died.

So aspergers or not. This guy is thrifty and capable of knowing more about how mom went down with the boat.

Can someone start a thread. Thanks.

I would start a thread, but I don't know how to do that.

Hmmmm........

Ding! My hinky meter just broke!

I would start a thread, but I don't know how to do that.

I'm currently on my phone. But I will start a thread in the morning if none were done so far.

Because the freight boat is expected to drop him off Tuesday morning. So any bruising may be gone or any other evidence of possible foul play if any.

A Coast Guard response boat picked up Nathan from the freighter in Boston. He disembarked at 9:30 this morning. The CG is doing a survivor debriefing, which is standard. Nathan's attorney said he wants to be present for any interviews whether Nathan requests a lawyer or not.

Vermont Man Has Arrived In Boston After Sea Rescue
http://www.courant.com/news/connect...ssing-boaters-search-0927-20160926-story.html

Guess what? Nathan Carman was a suspect in his grandfather's murder. His grandfather was shot 3 times in the head and torso in Dec. 2013. Nathan had dinner with him the night he was killed. Nathan was supposed to meet his mother at 3am in Glastonbury to drive to Rhode Island but he didn't show up. One of John Chakalos's daughters found him dead the next day. Windsor, Conn. police submitted a warrant for Nathan's arrest for the homicide in July 2014. The warrant was returned unsigned, with a request for more information.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-rescued-boater-carman-search-warrant-20160927-story.html

Does anyone know how to start a thread or to move this one from Cold Cases?

Guess what? Nathan Carman was a suspect in his grandfather's murder. His grandfather was shot 3 times in the head and torso in Dec. 2013. Nathan had dinner with him the night he was killed. Nathan was supposed to meet his mother at 3am in Glastonbury to drive to Rhode Island but he didn't show up. One of John Chakalos's daughters found him dead the next day. Windsor, Conn. police submitted a warrant for Nathan's arrest for the homicide in July 2014. The warrant was returned unsigned, with a request for more information.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-rescued-boater-carman-search-warrant-20160927-story.html

Does anyone know how to start a thread or to move this one from Cold Cases?

The D.A dropped the ball on that one.

Court Record: Man Rescued At Sea Was Suspect In Grandfather's Slaying

[http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-rescued-boater-carman-search-warrant-20160927-story.html

"In July 2014, Windsor police submitted an arrest warrant for Carman on a murder charge, but the warrant was returned by the prosecutor unsigned the next day, according to a warrant that police used to search Carman's apartment in Middletown, where he lived at the time.

The search warrant indicates the arrest warrant was returned with a "request for further information." Carman was not charged."

One would think that being I a raft for a week and rationing his food and water he would be dehydrated and sunburned. He looks like he just left the Barber Shop. My guess is that he knew the shipping lane location and was only in that raft a day.

One would think that being I a raft for a week and rationing his food and water he would be dehydrated and sunburned. He looks like he just left the Barber Shop. My guess is that he knew the shipping lane location and was only in that raft a day.

bbm
Yep. We saw the story on the news tonight and my husband said, "how could he be sure he'd be found, he's floating on a life raft." Yes, right into one of the busiest shipping lanes around. Go to any of the maritime traffic websites and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure he knew that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back