CT CT - Matthew Margolies, 13, Greenwich, 31 Aug 1984

Was “Suspect B” the same person as the man arrested in Texas for the molestation charges or are they different individuals? Either way seems pretty obvious “Suspect B” was the culprit

Unsolved Greenwich Murder Featured On New Cold Case Playing Cards
"FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- The unsolved 1984 murder of a 13-year-old Greenwich boy is included in a new edition of "cold case" playing cards that are available to inmates throughout the Connecticut correctional system.

Matthew Margolies is included as the "Ten of Spades" in the fourth edition of the playing cards, which are produced by the Cold Case Unit in the Office of the Chief State's Attorney in conjunction with the Department of Correction. Margolies was found murdered at the age of 13 in 1984 in a wooded area on Pemberwick Road in Greenwich. A $50,000 reward is offered in this case.

According to Greenwich Time , Margolies was last seen on Aug. 31 of that year when he left his home to go fishing. His body was located five days later near his home, having been stabbed, strangled and suffocated. Police developed some suspects, but no arrests were ever made, though police still continued to receive information for years, according to Greenwich Time."

This case reminds me of the Henry Bedard case in Massachusetts...teenager brutally murdered...likely by another teen at a teen hangout

The Wendy's employee is certainly a prime suspect. I'm not so sure about stamping his time card even though he was 3 hours late. Seems unlikely

Bumping.

I had never heard of Matthew before today when I stumbled across it online. The article posted below is pretty extensive.

http://www.courttv.com/news/hiddentraces/margolies/page1.html

I know they have been questioning a former police officer recently in connection. Personally I think the crime looks like it was done by a teenager. There is something immature and childish about it. The dirt and sticks being stuff in his mouth, crushing his chest with the rock, no sexual molestation - it just reeks of a crime done by young boys or boy pumped full of testosterone who killed Matt just to kill him.
I agree that this was done by a group of teenagers. Can you tell me where you heard his chest was crushed? Some of the videos and articles are no longer available. Thank you!

Thanks for posting this story. Strange how this all finally came out...... The young man was only testifying to being molested by the officer. I guess no one ever even suspected the officer in the murder.
Can you tell me what this means? Was this the officer who someone had to go to TX to testify against? Where is this information available? Thank you!

I never heard about this murder but just like the others - it's so sad.

What bothers me about this case is that Matthew's poor mom - still living in the same home - has to be constantly reminded of the murder of her son. I don't know if I could do what she and her husband are doing.

I truly hope there's a break in this case. And if the Moxley murder was solved (and I believe it was) then there's hope for Matthew.

Maybe his mom should contact Furman...he did help with the Moxley case, maybe he could use his connections to undig some valuable information.

Just a thought.
Hi there there is a podcast about this and Mark Furman was involved!

I am local to this murder and was in the neighborhood at the time. It was botched (in my opinion) from the first. GPD was known for being unable to investigate and close cases---major crimes specificially. They refused to get support from larger departments for crimes like murder, rape, etc and are still not particularly open to outside help.

It was not really ever explored as a teen to teen murder. Kids used to hang out in the area and jump from the waterfall all the time but so did adults who would drink and smoke out there.

You probably won't remember why you were angry about this 20 years ago but what did they say in this report? It is no longer available. Thank you in Advance!
Convicted Cop Now Investigated in 20-Year-Old Murder Case
(archived link)

Convicted Cop Now Investigated in 20-Year-Old Murder Case​

"(...) The murder stunned this town. A 13-year-old boy, out fishing near at a river near his home was stabbed to death. After 20 years, his killer has not been caught, but there is now a new lead.

Roger Bates was sentenced to 22 years in a Texas prison for sexually molesting a 14-year-old boy. But his conviction is raising new questions about an unsolved murder.

Maryanne Margolies, Victim's Mother: "I think each and every lead has to be pursued, and I feel confident that the police are doing that.(...)"

From Greenwich police take DNA samples in unsolved murder in 2004:

Bates would have been required to provide a DNA sample for a federal database when he entered prison, Hallman said, but he provided the samples voluntarily at the request of the investigators.

During Bates' sentencing, a childhood friend of Margolies from Connecticut testified that Bates had molested him in 1984 and taken the two boys fishing on one occasion that year, according to Hallman. Bates served as a Port Chester, N.Y. police officer from 1975 to 1985.

Chief State's Attorney Christopher Morano, who heads the state's cold case squad, declined to confirm if the team had obtained DNA from Bates, or if the swabs were currently being tested.

Isn't that interesting!

I am local to this murder and was in the neighborhood at the time. It was botched (in my opinion) from the first. GPD was known for being unable to investigate and close cases---major crimes specificially. They refused to get support from larger departments for crimes like murder, rape, etc and are still not particularly open to outside help.

It was not really ever explored as a teen to teen murder. Kids used to hang out in the area and jump from the waterfall all the time but so did adults who would drink and smoke out there.
Could I DM you and ask you about a specific person?

Was “Suspect B” the same person as the man arrested in Texas for the molestation charges or are they different individuals? Either way seems pretty obvious “Suspect B” was the culprit
There are some who are convinced Suspect A did it. Do we use initials at all or are we not allowed to name names at all? According to someone who has YouTube videos about this, he was attacked by Suspect A a month or so before the murder. I also think there was more than one person there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back