Recovered/Located CT - Robert Hoagland, 50, Newtown, 28 Jul 2013

Why don't people stop and confront him? Is that like not the right thing to do?

Why don't people stop and confront him? Is that like not the right thing to do?

I may be wrong, but I think the people learned of him after the time they saw him. When they heard report/description with large back pack.... they recalled seeing someone like that.

Oh okay, I hope people would try to strike up a conversation with him without being too confrontational. I know it can be scary to do but I am glad there are sightings.

I hope they find this man soon. I have a feeling they will.

Some of the circumstances surrounding his disappearance makes it seem unlikely he is voluntarily missing. It's very sad when you hear of a person just doing the everyday things like mowing the lawn and buying bagels that most of us do, then suddenly dropping off the face of the earth. A little frightening too.

He looks like such a nice man. My best wishes go out to those searching for Robert.

Actually it's much closer than that, Newtown is only about 20 miles away from Bridgeport.

Yeah, about 20 miles, but probably 40 minutes by car. There's no real highway between the two, Route 25 is the easiest road, and that is only a highway as far as trouble and then it becomes a regular road.

I wonder if it was normal for him to 'hide' his wallet and keys. There are some items I keep in strange places. If I went missing, people might think they had been hidden, but it is in fact, just where I put them so I know where they are. (Like my glasses under my pillow, I'm blind as a bat, so I keep them close. Heh.)

Yeah, about 20 miles, but probably 40 minutes by car. There's no real highway between the two, Route 25 is the easiest road, and that is only a highway as far as trouble and then it becomes a regular road.

I wonder if it was normal for him to 'hide' his wallet and keys. There are some items I keep in strange places. If I went missing, people might think they had been hidden, but it is in fact, just where I put them so I know where they are. (Like my glasses under my pillow, I'm blind as a bat, so I keep them close. Heh.)

I have to agree with you here. I seem to have become so forgetful my age that if I dont keep everything together in one regular spot, I would never find anything... however, under a doll in his own bedroom?? No, IMO, not unless he already did not trust someone in his own household.

just the fact that they are already making a search for a dead body, leads me to believe LE already has a good idea what happened and is just looking for proof.... :scared:

Hope I am wrong though...

The map. The lack of shoes. The $600. The sightings in Warwick. Disappearing the day before his wife came home from an extended trip?

Given the troubles with his son and the general hell it has been to live in Newtown the last 9 months...

While I realize that they've mentioned no connection to any of the victims of Sandy Hook, Newtown is a small town. I don't think there's a person in Newtown who was more than 2 degrees of separation from the shootings. Heck, Connecticut is really a small town in that respect.

It sounds to me like maybe he went walkabout due to stress. Or maybe I'm just overly optimist and don't want Newtown to go through another murder by one of its children.

I meant to add that the 600 bucks may have been used to buy hiking equipment, including boots

I meant to add that the 600 bucks may have been used to buy hiking equipment, including boots

Boots aren't cheap, and they can run an average from a cheaper pair at 185.00, to over 300 dollars at REI.
So, if the 600 was for equipment including boots, then it is possible he could have spent half that on just boots and socks.
IMOO.

just the fact that they are already making a search for a dead body, leads me to believe LE already has a good idea what happened and is just looking for proof.... :scared:

Hope I am wrong though...

Sbm... Where have you read/heard that it is a fact Le is searching for a dead body? Tia

Sbm... Where have you read/heard that it is a fact Le is searching for a dead body? Tia

From this article:

http://newtownbee.com/news/news/2013/09/04/police-search-lake-zoar-missing-man/159799

"At Lake Zoar on September 1, police worked with members of Newtown Underwater Search And Rescue (NUSAR) and the Lake Zoar Authority Marine Patrol in a search for clues in the disappearance of Robert Hoagland, 50, of Glen Road, who went missing in late July."

"Mrs Hoagland said she believes that the police are doing all possible in seeking to locate her husband."

"Efforts such as then Lake Zoar search and the search by dogs are intended to eliminate possibilities, she said."

"The police chief said he does not recall a local police case during the past decade in which a person has been missing for so long a period."

"The case may amount to an abduction or may be a homicide in which there is no evidence, he said. What happened to Mr Hoagland is unclear, he said."

"“We’re looking at all aspects of his disappearance,” the police chief said."

I think using the underwater search and rescue would be something they would use if they were thinking he might be in the water somewhere.
IMOO.

Searching Lake Zoar was an obvious move. If you exclude the recent mass shooting, Newtown does not have a lot of murders. 2 or 3 in the last 30 years that I can recall. One woman never left her house and was discovered there 25+ years after she went missing and another woman who was put through (apologies, this is graphic) a wood chipper on the shores of Lake Zoar.

It makes perfect sense that they'd want to make sure he wasn't in the lake.

http://newtownbee.com/news/0001/11/30/police-rhode-island-sighting-not-hoagland/160903

Rhode Island Sighting Not Hoagland :(

"A police spokesperson told The Newtown Bee September 10 that a possible lead in the case of missing Newtown resident Robert Hoagland turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. Police said that it was another individual, not Robert Hoagland, who was seen walking with a backpack near Interstate 95 and Route 117 in Warwick, Rhode Island."

Sorry I did not post link, I actually had read it off of someone else's link and although knew of the search of the lake was surprised to see it say (paraphrased) "no dead body was found"

I did not think to re quote the article as it was already posted for all to see. I will go look now which one it was

Okay.... I went back to the article that I read it from which was the Newton Bee and the wording that I had written down is not the same when I go back to the link today. :facepalm: Does this happen often? Do they go back and change or update the same link? Because I wrote down in my notes the exact wording as I was surprised so soon but now it just says they searched the lake (although one can infer the same thing from that, it definitely said those words at one point ) :banghead: :blush: so...I guess I can not longer state as fact? sorry :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back