Current Leads; Facts and Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I haven't seen this pointed out, but here's a zoomed in version of Jason

bdf406aae6e2fa430b49436144ff8370.png

Am I just seeing what I want to see, or is that an earring?

Grateful Doe's left ear was pierced!

Correct.
Looks like it tot me

Holy crap
This really is the GD!
This was the final piece
Start doing the statistics on the name, earring, etc etc. it's likely near 90% based on all mitigating factors

Ohhh, I just asked about the earring on the other thread. Looks like it could be! Anyone know of someone who could clean up that image a bit more be sure?

I am speechless. We now likely know who this young man is.

Weren't they saying his faded tattoo on his right arm looked like he was drawing something. That could mean he was left handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question
That summer was incredibly hot. I remember RFK in particular was like 9000 degrees. All sorts of people were under a bridge to escape the heat.

Actually it was overcast and rainy for the entire weekend at RFK. It wasn't hot at all. The high on 6/24 was 82, the high on 6/25 was 88, and the high on the day of the crash was 84. I remember camping at Greenbelt Park, which is where RFK security was sending people, and it was pretty chilly at night. Perhaps you were all under a bridge escaping the rain?

That looks an awful lot like an earring (or something!) in the left ear.

I'm getting chills? Anyone else?? Trying not to get ahead of myself here but it's hard.

I won't have time due to RL until later tonight, I will only be on sporadically from now until 9 pm.

If you have time, can folks here help with:

1. Making a 1 page poster with a condensed version of what we are looking for currently with respect to Jay/Jason and Grateful Doe. I can do this later, but, if anyone else has the time now?

2. Compiling a list of all middle schools and high schools in Myrtle Beach. We need a name and contact email for a best source, to send 1 email, to request that they print and post our poster, show teachers and possibly go through some yearbooks for the school during the pertinent time period in question. This information needs to be short and sweet, and we need a confirmation from each school if possible, so we aren't duplicating efforts. We need to target the Principals or Guidance Departments, even the Librarians, as they would have the best link to historical information for the school, and any alumni associations for the years in question.

3. We need to compile a list of media local to the Myrtle Beach, Champlain, Vermont, Albany NY areas to contact in the same manner as 2, so, that we can get some traditional news media coverage on this story. We need to be precise with the info, keep speculation out of it, and really just present what we "know" now, which is mostly the visual similarities of Doe to Jay/Jason.

Please help if you are able, and update here.

via Classmates, I looked through MB, NMB, Socastee, and Aynor/Galivant Ferry yearbooks (at least ones that are available) - no 'definite' hits, but the years available are limited. The Aynor has a very interesting pic, a guy that looked a lot like him and his name was Jay (Thom), but it would've made Jason ~ 30 at the time (keep in mind, I think Jason WAS older than the 17-18 he may have told the IL guys - just not to look too out of place). I do think Jason was from the more rural areas of MB and not MB proper. Any Horry county schools is a good place to start, probably starting at 9th and 10th grade years. Still looking..........

How very exciting!
I've been intrigued by this case since I first joined Websleuths. The physical resemblance, the earring, the clothing, the lifestyle- it all points to a positive match! Fantastic work sleuthers!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do the roommates remember if he had a tattoo?

The '94 year book I bought was shipped today. I paid for first class, rather than media, mail - but sometimes sellers ignore that and pocket the difference.

Don't waste your time on Vermont. That show was a diaster. In the middle of no where. No one will remember one person from that nor will they likely take kindly to it. Toke can be spent elsewhere . Same with Albany. If he was there no one in the city will remember.

Respectfully, what is the harm in attempting? We can't possibly know that no one would remember him. What if someone does?

For the schools: Target the guidance counselors and the school librarians. Include a line saying that if they have any friends who have since retired from teaching, please show the photos and info to the retirees as well. Remember to include parochial schools as well as public (Catholic, Jewish, independent Christian )schools. Most school districts have a website and many schools have their own web page that lists the staff members by departments/grades/subject.

http://www.horrycountyschools.net/pages/Horry_County_Schools main site
Link to list of public schools: http://www.horrycountyschools.net/pages/Horry_County_Schools/Our_Schools

It looks like MB is in the diocese of Charleston for Catholic schools.
http://www.sccatholic.org/school-listings

Are there any "New Age" y type alternative bookstores in MB? since J. liked to talk to trees.

High school reunion committees, like for 20 years or 25 years class reunion type events might be worth exploring.

How about surfboard/surf gear type of shops in MB?

Be chase the town has 5000 ppl and 100000 were there for a day

Be chase the town has 5000 ppl and 100000 were there for a day

I understand it's a long shot, but no more of a long shot than trying to reach out to attendees of the show where he had the stubs from, even tho we don't know if he actually saw the show. Or trying to track down mysterious Caroline's or Corinnes with no last names, trying to complete the phone number possibilities from the note, or browsing many random yearbooks looking for someone who may or may not be named Jason, with only an approximate age.

Who knew that a random reddit post would garner the most solid leads we have to go on?

It only takes one person to remember him. Whether there were 100 people at the show or 100,000. JMO.

Amazing work GreyMetal!
I've been on here for several years now, and boom, out of the blue, a possible match!
This sure appears to be the right boy, way to go.

I was also thinking a lot of high schools have FB pages one could post his pic too, may get a quick response?

Hello all fellow WSers, cheers in all the work on this case.

This is from Greymetal's Reddit: Just a quick one from my lunch break.
Woke up this morning to find I had been contacted by a media outlet.
I don't have too many details just yet. I'm not even sure if it will all follow through!
But I needed you guys to know; this is how far we have got the story of The Grateful Doe!
Let's keep going! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members