David Duchovny & Tea Leoni have split.

Lord knows I'm not an expert on the treatment of addiction. (All of my addictions are going strong, thank you.) But I sometimes think social science uses labels vaguely while pretending they have the clarity that only hard science can achieve (and only Newtonian science at that). The result is problematic. For example, we have now pretty much defined every male on the planet as a "pedophile." Truth to tell, I suppose we're all "sex addicts," too. But if so, the terms don't mean much, do they?

But as for Tea Leoni, I have dreams about her. You can imagine how disturbing that is!

Great post, Nova - the pedophile issue being one of my particular irritants.

In the end, whatever helps people recover from things that are harming them is all that matters to me. If that means throwing the "addiction" label at everything, have at it - it certainly helped me improve my life by getting off drugs.

That said, the longer I live, the more I think the affliction is being human and there are any number of habits and activities we all use or misuse to manage that condition! Being human is the softest science there is - very few definitions wrap it up very neatly. :crazy:

Great post, Nova - the pedophile issue being one of my particular irritants.

In the end, whatever helps people recover from things that are harming them is all that matters to me. If that means throwing the "addiction" label at everything, have at it - it certainly helped me improve my life by getting off drugs.

That said, the longer I live, the more I think the affliction is being human and there are any number of habits and activities we all use or misuse to manage that condition! Being human is the softest science there is - very few definitions wrap it up very neatly. :crazy:

I feel like I spend most of my day planning it so I can cope best with an "abnormal" and ever-more-challenging world, and thus keep my neuroses from popping out in public.

I try my best to not "look down" on those who are having problems (as most I know are, of one kind or another), unless I am convinced they are truly evil and without conscience (OJ Simpson), thus they simply do the same things over and over to harm themselves or others.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back