DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is for other posters who have a code word/phrase with their families to alert them if something like this case were to happen. Can you tell us the gist of how this works? We have code words with our kids if somebody other than me or husband come to pick him up from school (the other person MUST use that phrase in order for kid to go with them).

But what plan could we have as a family to alert each other that we are being held against our will (without, obviously, giving it away to the bad guy)?

Of course not. But he could have, when JW called ten minutes away, directed him to come in the house ,instead of putting the envelope in the red car, leave the money on the entry hall table, the kitchen counter, a coffee table...whatever, then ambushed him just like SS was surprised.

If W-1 believed that the family was going to survive this, no way was he going to come in the house. He wouldn't take a chance that even his voice would be heard.

At this point, my theory is that W-1 did believe that the family would not be hurt.

Here's a thought I have and only a speculation, no proof at all. I question why this family was torchered so badly. DW has a long criminal history with burglary and robbery. There is a possibility that he stole, robbed, burglarized one of SS's businesses in the past and was sent to jail or prison for it. In his mind it is then SS's fault that he did time and this was revenge for it. I think Vera was killed because he was not going to leave any witnesses.
Again, I am just speculating. No proof.

And ... Entry and exit doors on houses always open inward. Screen doors and storm doors open out. The photo is of an exterior door that opens in.
I was in a very similar house, yesterday that had a door such as that one and indeed one side of the french door (the side that opens in) had that piece of wood trim and the other side didn't.

If W-1 believed that the family was going to survive this, no way was he going to come in the house. He wouldn't take a chance that even his voice would be heard.

At this point, my theory is that W-1 did believe that the family would not be hurt.

IMO I think that he either went into the house and gave the money or someone inside the house came out and got the money from him. IMO he clearly never went into the garage because he stated he entered the garage and exited the same closing the door when he left(he wouldn't been able to do to either)JMO that is how LE knew he lied to them.

AFAIK, MPD has not been quoted re: that boot print or the broken door and glass. They have not confirmed the picture and/or if it was on the inside or the outside of the door.

LE verified the forced entry in the search warrant. They have not verified any direct link between JW and DW IIRC

Sworn affidavit for search of white Chevy. Page 2#5.
The scene of the investigation is a three story brick home with basement. On the side of the residence is a set of French style exterior doors. The doors have a single broken window pane located next to a door latch and alarm sensor. The door is broken near the lock and a shoe or boot print is visible on the exterior suggesting forced entry.

This question is for other posters who have a code word/phrase with their families to alert them if something like this case were to happen. Can you tell us the gist of how this works? We have code words with our kids if somebody other than me or husband come to pick him up from school (the other person MUST use that phrase in order for kid to go with them).

But what plan could we have as a family to alert each other that we are being held against our will (without, obviously, giving it away to the bad guy)?
Someone here mentioned using a full name that you wouldn't normally use. Like instead of saying "hey Mike can you came home asap"...you would say "hey Michael can you come home asap". Now If the play on name would not work...I am just not sure how you would work in a code word without looking obvious. Hmmmm....

Here's a thought I have and only a speculation, no proof at all. I question why this family was torchered so badly. DW has a long criminal history with burglary and robbery. There is a possibility that he stole, robbed, burglarized one of SS's businesses in the past and was sent to jail or prison for it. In his mind it is then SS's fault that he did time and this was revenge for it. I think Vera was killed because he was not going to leave any witnesses.
Again, I am just speculating. No proof.

From my memory, no links, I don't think DDW has spent much time, if any besides arrests, behind bars.

I wish we could find the motive that easily!!!

I agree. But the link could be a mutual friend or acquaintance. W-1 and someone else make a plan. The friend says he knows a guy that can help. W-1 does not need to "know" DW himself. I'm sure LE is looking at all the possible spiderwebs of links between the two.

Or DW and "someone who knows W-1"...THEY make the plan. W-1 gets brought in to give insider info. He is told no one will get hurt and he'll get a nice cut.

The fact that W-1 has not been arrested TO OUR KNOWLEDGE... knowing that the other people in the car have not been arrested...doesn't get me to the point of saying he is innocent or has been cleared. Why is LE's response about him always "no comment?" Why have all the news outlets...who have various personal sources...focused on HIM?

If LE has cleared him, it's irresponsible to let the media keep putting him in headlines. It's morally wrong to just answer "no comment."

I knew a woman once whose son was being accused by neighbors of vandalizing property. At a POA meeting, this woman called on her best friend to speak up for her son. She said her friend knew him better than anyone, knew him from infancy, and that she would vouch that he was no "vandal." All eyes turned to the Best Friend.

"No comment." She said.

I think of that.

BBM

I think of Richard Jewell.

"Jewell's case is considered an example of the damage that can be done by reporting based on unreliable or incomplete information."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

MHO

From my memory, no links, I don't think DDW has spent much time, if any besides arrests, behind bars.

I wish we could find the motive that easily!!!
I do remember at first there were no links. Then it came out he had worked at AIW, then the link that he was found across the street from AIW with a machete.

I do remember at first there were no links. Then it came out he had worked at AIW, then the link that he was found across the street from AIW with a machete.

Right. But I am thinking that the charges were dropped to an open container or something? Did he spend time in jail for that?

OK, I found where MPD confirms that the outside of an exterior door was kicked and a print was located. I somehow missed the "Official" confirmation.

"The doors have a single broken window pane located next to a door latch and alarm sensor," Det. Mike Fulton of the Metropolitan Police wrote in an affidavit for a search warrant filed May 18 and unsealed today. "The door is broken near the lock and a shoe or boot print is visible on the exterior, suggesting forced entry."

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/0...lings-officials-say-114471.html#ixzz3cOpfiphL
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

And even if it was thought he was at Dojo, going to and fro, CEOs "out of the office" still have to conduct biz. Could be in" the flurry of calls," SS covered his absence, instructed X to take charge for the day, directed folks by text to X..."I'll be blah blah today, please direct all blah blah to X." But if this is not his usual M.O., you would think it would raise concerns.
Possibly a family member, friend, associate kept calling, "if we don't hear from you soon..." Maybe someone did come out. My uncle runs a small business, never misses a day, the one time he did after many attempts to contact him, they came by the house knocking. He couldn't answer and his sociopathic partner wouldn't.

JMO Scenario: Thinking "they" were on the verge of being discovered-- school calling, biz, AS friends, Mr F knocking--next visitors would be the cops--they abort mission, give up on getting "more," and start striking the set.

Last call from SS cell at 11:54, a signal to JW. He uses disposable phone to reach a perp., gets filled in and proceeds to Lowe's to get his alibi on camera. Gets the expected call re: fire, rushes to scene all concern, texting AS on the way that insipid and inappropriate "Hey honey your house is on fire so if you aren't in it dead already, take a look see and give me a bell.."

Question: We wonder why accountant, someone in the loop at AIW, didn't raise alarm over JW delivering 40k in cash. Maybe someone did contact authorities upon learning of house fire and that's why LE located JW car so fast and brought him right in for the hard-court press?
CEOs, Presidents, Business owners, do take vacation and time off. Even the President of the United States. Yes will always find exceptions of those who never leave their business and in most cases there is a defined criteria as to what you would bother a CEO with when he is taking sometime off. I believe he planned time off or at least out of the office as he was working on getting his Dojo ready. And he was in contact with his office especially in the morning when arranging money or we are told at this point. Out of office and out of touch are two different things. I don't think his contacts at AIW would find it odd that he was out of the office during this time. He also had several other homes, I think could best be described as vacation homes. He wasn't our of communication for a series of days, it was less than 24 hours in total.

Right. But I am thinking that the charges were dropped to an open container or something? Did he spend time in jail for that?
I don't think he did spent time for that.
I know I could be way off base with my thought. I know that crazed people do brutally kill people for no reason than because they can. I know it, but I just cannot accept it. If that makes any sense.

Can anyone help me out with something I have a vague memory of? Was it reported that SS spoke with his sister in Florida during the time he was being held? If he did, did he call her, or was it the other way around? I've been thinking about this and if he did call her, I wonder why? Was he desperately trying to somehow prove to DW that he didn't have or couldn't easily access whatever it may have been that DW wanted? Perhaps if he did call her, he tried to make it like a very nonchalant kind of call and slipped it in the conversation somehow, for DW to hear?? IDK? Maybe they never talked at all, but I have this vague memory from many threads ago that I read he communicated with his sister and she said he sounded ok, like he always does, or something to that effect??

IMO I think that he either went into the house and gave the money or someone inside the house came out and got the money from him. IMO he clearly never went into the garage because he stated he entered the garage and exited the same closing the door when he left(he wouldn't been able to do to either)JMO that is how LE knew he lied to them.

If he went into the house and handed the $ to DW, why would DW just sit in :jail: and let JW run around free? Wouldn't he want to share the blame?

Can anyone help me out with something I have a vague memory of? Was it reported that SS spoke with his sister in Florida during the time he was being held? If he did, did he call her, or was it the other way around? I've been thinking about this and if he did call her, I wonder why? Was he desperately trying to somehow prove to DW that he didn't have or couldn't easily access whatever it may have been that DW wanted? Perhaps if he did call her, he tried to make it like a very nonchalant kind of call and slipped it in the conversation somehow, for DW to hear?? IDK? Maybe they never talked at all, but I have this vague memory from many threads ago that I read he communicated with his sister and she said he sounded ok, like he always does, or something to that effect??

IIRC, she called him. And I guess they let him answer so she would not be alarmed or suspicious. But he sounded 'upbeat' acording to his sister. :cry:

CEOs, Presidents, Business owners, do take vacation and time off. Even the President of the United States. Yes will always find exceptions of those who never leave their business and in most cases there is a defined criteria as to what you would bother a CEO with when he is taking sometime off. I believe he planned time off or at least out of the office as he was working on getting his Dojo ready. And he was in contact with his office especially in the morning when arranging money or we are told at this point. Out of office and out of touch are two different things. I don't think his contacts at AIW would find it odd that he was out of the office during this time. He also had several other homes, I think could best be described as vacation homes. He wasn't our of communication for a series of days, it was less than 24 hours in total.

And it wasn't even that. He went home sometime Wednesday evening - between 5:30 and 6 from reports - and was in touch with people Thursday morning starting about 7am.

His assistant was in touch with him sometime around 10:30.

I don't know how this would raise any alarms with anyone. Yes, his need for the money was strange...I don't doubt that they all thought that. But I am pretty sure as an employee, as I have said before, I would not be calling 911 saying "My boss has asked me to take $40K out of his bank accounts and deliver it to his home!"

First, isn't that the best way to find yourself out of a job? One just doesn't jump to "They must be being held hostage!"

Two, what would 911 even say? "OK...call the IRS??"

I just don't see how this would have raised the alarms to the level that hindsight has shown it should have.

If he went into the house and handed the $ to DW, why would DW just sit in :jail: and let JW run around free? Wouldn't he want to share the blame?

IMO he may feel he has a better chance not admitting to anything. DW has no chance at all getting out of jail if he admits to the murders of 4 people. jmo

Man, I wish we had the answer to that!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX