DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard that we have more cameras than any other city and i think I would have. There are no traffic cameras near the house. Some of the houses have cameras, including the Savopoulos' (though the perps took the dvr) and I'm sure LE has investigated them. But I don;t know of any way LE can consult traffic cameras for this sort of thing -- they only take pictures of cars exceeding the speed limit and running red lights.

Nope. That's not all they use them for. I feel like there was an article in the post on this and privacy concerns. May be NSA program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up on the MPDC site and wonder are any of these cameras close to the S house or on the route from S house to the MD location of the burning Porsche.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/speed-camera-locations

The closest speed camera to the house is 2800 Calvert St. NW. It's seems likely that the Porsche passed there on the way to New York Ave. but I ride a bicycle so I'm not familiar with choosing car-driving routes in the area.

Due to it being the nation's capital and with all the security measures for the President, the DC are has more cameras per square mile than any other city. The system can read license plates and track them as they move from what I have heard. This is not a some rural small town of no consequence, so they will be able to see where JW and the Porsche traveled.

Is there evidence that JW took the Porsche? A link?
TIA
The police chief identified the man as Wint

Earlier this week, authorities released a surveillance video of a man believed to have driven the family's Porsche to the parking lot. Lanier said Thursday that Wint is believed to be the man in the video.

Due to it being the nation's capital and with all the security measures for the President, the DC area has more cameras per square mile than any other city. The system can read license plates and track them as they move from what I have heard. This is not a some rural small town of no consequence, so they will be able to see where JW and the Porsche traveled.

Here's a Link - http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...410cd0-ee47-11e2-bed3-b9b6fe264871_story.html

I'd been thinking that, too and then I remember that we only know what's been released to us. As prolific as texters (?) are, there are probably a couple tweets/phone calls before and after that one seemingly damning exchange. Man, they text every little thing these days. Am I getting that confused with tweeting? I feel so old some days.

"Hey, Toots, off to pick up a package for Mr. S - see you later"
Gets to destination, finds out it's cash, gets in car and takes pic, continues on errand.

Assuming he's innocent and unconnected, of course.

Which I do. :)

I can also see him lying if he took a picture with all of the "cash money powerz omgz" and holding money in a really lame selfie. And realizing after the fact the role he played without even knowing it.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

My theories (this is just one of the many) range, clearly.

I ended up on the MPDC site and wonder are any of these cameras close to the S house or on the route from S house to the MD location of the burning Porsche.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/speed-camera-locations
This is an interesting question and with a bit of study one might conjecture DW's route. Fire was reported at 1:15, so he left the house on Woodland ave at ~1:00 to 1:10. He drove to New York Ave where the Porsche was sighted at 1:30. Depending on his route there are several camera locations that might capture his vehicle. Note, these are "speed cameras." They are triggered to film when the system (radar or peizo) detects a speed limit violation. If DW sped through one of these zones the camera would capture the image of his vehicle. The system is designed to focus on the vehicle and read license numbers, not vehicle occupants. Someone with more patience than me might want to analyze this.

And i am getting ticked off about that. I think LE OWES the public a press conference in which they bring us up to date on the status of the investigation. I don't expect them to give us all the case particulars, but we should know in a global sense what investigators are doing to find and bring the perpetrators to justice, and whether or not at this point in time, they have some idea of who is involved. WE should rate a progress report which need not tip LE's hand or compromise the case. I do not care if they speak in total generalities, but hey, REMEMBER US?
This evil was an offense against humanity. But at the very least, DC people should have some word on the case as for all they know cretins are still running amok and pose a threat.
TIME TO REPORT TO THE PUBLIC THAT PAYS TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT!

LE owes us nothing. It is not their job to satisfy our curiosity. They have one job and one job only, to investigate this horrific crime and bring the perpetrators to justice. "WE" deserve nothing here. I say that as a "WE" who actually lives in DC. Where do you get this idea that general citizens should have some word in the case? LE isn't here to entertain us. I don't pay taxes so that they can keep feeding me information.

Frankly its to their credit that they can actually keep their investigation under wraps. [modsnip]

I'd been thinking that, too and then I remember that we only know what's been released to us. As prolific as texters (?) are, there are probably a couple tweets/phone calls before and after that one seemingly damning exchange. Man, they text every little thing these days. Am I getting that confused with tweeting? I feel so old some days.

"Hey, Toots, off to pick up a package for Mr. S - see you later"
Gets to destination, finds out it's cash, gets in car and takes pic, continues on errand.

Assuming he's innocent and unconnected, of course.

Which I do. :)
I can make nothing of the fact that he photographed a bag of money he was delivering to his boss and sent it to his GF. Sounds typical of what he does. We can't know as we do not have the photo and the text and any knowledge of his relationship to her to put this into any kind of context.
I can make something of his lying to LE and I can not excuse it on his not knowing yet if his boss is dead. He certainly knew when he lied that the circumstances which called for him to be interviewed were grave. He had no idea where his boss was. That alone should have given him a clue, no word on boss, wife, their son... huge fire, FF, LE..he's called in about details of delivery, which he must know have implications, and he is so suspicious of his boss and so self-sacrificing, that he fudges about his own FEW actions? Confusion? Hardly anything he'd had to do that day so you'd think he could keep at least 50 percent of the facts straight. Worried about his boss? Answer his darned phone!

JMO He is connected, a real lynchpin--just don't know how.

Is there evidence that JW took the Porsche? A link?
TIA
The police chief identified the man as Wint

Earlier this week, authorities released a surveillance video of a man believed to have driven the family's Porsche to the parking lot. Lanier said Thursday that Wint is believed to be the man in the video.

I didn't mean JW in the Porsche. I meant JW's car movements and that of the Porsche.

Because that is what he said. It is in the charging documents. And I have no doubt that the AIW employee who took the money from the bank confirmed this. He didn't lie about where it came from, he said he was in the bank when it was withdrawn and saw the bank manager hand the AIW employee the package. Then changed it to the AIW employee handed him the money from his pockets at the bank.

Where exactly do you think it came from?

That is not how I understood it. First he said he was in the bank and saw the employee withdraw the money and hand it to him. Then is was that it came out of his pocket. But I don;t remember the bit about the bank being in the second story at all, in fact I assumed the "lie" was the bank part. There's been some discussion about whether the money originally came from the B of A because of the wrappers but I think the 2nd story did not involve the bank.

Nope. That's not all they use them for. I feel like there was an article in the post on this and privacy concerns. May be NSA program.

The NSA does not have cameras on residential neighborhoods in DC. Nor does the NSA track all the traffic in DC.

And i am getting ticked off about that. I think LE OWES the public a press conference in which they bring us up to date on the status of the investigation. I don't expect them to give us all the case particulars, but we should know in a global sense what investigators are doing to find and bring the perpetrators to justice, and whether or not at this point in time, they have some idea of who is involved. WE should rate a progress report which need not tip LE's hand or compromise the case. I do not care if they speak in total generalities, but hey, REMEMBER US?
This evil was an offense against humanity. But at the very least, DC people should have some word on the case as for all they know cretins are still running amok and pose a threat.
TIME TO REPORT TO THE PUBLIC THAT PAYS TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT!

We all want answers - but- lest not forget- at the cost of jeopardizing an investigation- especially combined with the ATF, FBI, and Secret Service.

Additional tidbit- I am sure being on embassy row in close proximity to VP, other foreign dignitaries, etc, has a lot to do with secret service being involved, but I do know for a fact that the secret service also gets involved when financial crimes are committed- link for reference: http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml#faq5

Not that it means anything but its pretty cool to read up on all that they do.

I can make nothing of the fact that he photographed a bag of money he was delivering to his boss and sent it to his GF. Sounds typical of what he does. We can't know as we do not have the photo and the text and any knowledge of his relationship to her to put this into any kind of context.
I can make something of his lying to LE and I can not excuse it on his not knowing yet if his boss is dead. He certainly knew when he lied that the circumstances which called for him to be interviewed were grave. He had no idea where his boss was. That alone should have given him a clue, no word on boss, wife, their son... huge fire, FF, LE..he's called in about details of delivery, which he must know have implications, and he is so suspicious of his boss and so self-sacrificing, that he fudges about his own FEW actions? Confusion? Hardly anything he'd had to do that day so you'd think he could keep at least 50 percent of the facts straight. Worried about his boss? Answer his darned phone!

JMO He is connected, a real lynchpin--just don't know how.

I still think it would've been MUCH more typical of JW to take a photo of $40k. Why only photograph $20k?? I think that's all he got originally or he had already given accomplice the other half.

The closest speed camera to the house is 2800 Calvert St. NW. It's seems likely that the Porsche passed there on the way to New York Ave. but I ride a bicycle so I'm not familiar with choosing car-driving routes in the area.

No, thats the opposite direction. Plus a speed camera only takes pictures of speeding cars.

Due to it being the nation's capital and with all the security measures for the President, the DC area has more cameras per square mile than any other city. The system can read license plates and track them as they move from what I have heard. This is not a some rural small town of no consequence, so they will be able to see where JW and the Porsche traveled.

That is what I wanted to know. So there is a system in addition to speed cameras. I live in metro Atlanta and am on camera from 1/2 mile from my house to almost everywhere 70 miles in any direction.

And do you know if DC still uses the Spotshotter system for gunshot detection? If so, perhaps this is why DDW did not use a gun??

From your link: There is no definitive count on the numbers of license-plate readers in the Washington area, but the boxy cameras have become common sights in the region. They typically are mounted in pairs on government vehicles so that the lenses can gaze the adjacent lanes. Some cameras also are mounted on poles or overpasses, much as red-light cameras and speed cameras are.

I really don't think DC has a lot more surveillance than other U.S. cities except, perhaps, around federal buildings and national monuments--none of which are near to the crime site.

ETA - I post very slowly, I seen the discussion has continued...so I'll go back to see where I was wrong :)

This article http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/1...s-to-private-surveillance-cameras-108628.html says DCPD has 90 cctv cameras and possibly (if the program discussed in the article has actually been implemented) access to 300 privately owned cameras.

I didn't mean JW in the Porsche. I meant JW's car movements and that of the Porsche.

Oh...I do think that's one way LE has been able to verify JWs story. By video...cameras in Lowes, cameras on the roadways and perhaps cameras from SS neighbors surveillance systems.
Between cameras and cell phones Americans are tracked almost constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members