DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
We already had a preliminary hearing on this last year after his arrest. And we were able to learn more information.

I guess one of the things with a grand jury is we don't get another preliminary hearing and learn more information on the additional charges... And move directly into status hearings and we won't know anything more until the trial unless it is leaked?

Am I correct in my understanding?

If it was a "hit" I wonder if prosecutors might be aware and just trying to prove the "suspects?"

I'm not understanding what the point of this DW indict was. He was facing life in prison before and he's still facing life in prison now. If this was part of a grander indictment of multiple people, then I'd understand it. The underlying charges have increased, but he's still basically accused of the same thing he was months ago and nobody else has been named. Do these new charges buy the prosecution time? That perhaps may be it as I think it was reported that they're still combining through the evidence, so maybe they did this because they're looking at others but still don't have everything back from the lab and would add others once they got everything back assuming they got the results they expected.

We already had a preliminary hearing on this last year after his arrest. And we were able to learn more information.

I guess one of the things with a grand jury is we don't get another preliminary hearing and learn more information on the additional charges... And move directly into status hearings and we won't know anything more until the trial unless it is leaked?

Am I correct in my understanding?

A status hearing is used to determine if the case can be plea bargained , discuss discovery issues , motions to suppress etc. or to set the case for trial (if plea bargain refused). In the event that a plea bargain has been made a plea may be entered at the status hearing.

I'm not understanding what the point of this DW indict was. He was facing life in prison before and he's still facing life in prison now. If this was part of a grander indictment of multiple people, then I'd understand it. The underlying charges have increased, but he's still basically accused of the same thing he was months ago and nobody else has been named. Do these new charges buy the prosecution time? That perhaps may be it as I think it was reported that they're still combining through the evidence, so maybe they did this because they're looking at others but still don't have everything back from the lab and would add others once they got everything back assuming they got the results they expected.

I have asked this question on another thread to AZL and another lawyer in another case.

Could it be that grand jury indictments are * secret*... any testimony of secret witnesses are not even shared with a defense? therefore they don't have to share with the defense any of the information that was found in grand jury vs previous charges ???

... and that is the reason we don't know about others is because it has not become known to the defense or anyone else?

I'm still waiting on an answer as I am not clear enough ..if anybody else is please let us know your experience and knowledge!

TIA

Wint tripped slightly as he walked to stand next to his public defenders.

Amy Savopoulos's father and members of Figueroa’s family were seated in the back of the courtroom.

Prosecutors told Judge José M. López they now plan to begin turning over evidence to the defense that they plan to use at trial

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9e74b0-d68d-11e5-be55-2cc3c1e4b76b_story.html

So would we learn new things on May 20th at the hearing?:
No new information was revealed during the brief arraignment, but a hearing was scheduled for May 20. Prosecutors told Judge José M. López that they will now begin giving the defense evidence they plan to use during the trial.

Wint tripped slightly as he walked to stand next to his public defenders.

Amy Savopoulos's father and members of Figueroa’s family were seated in the back of the courtroom.

Prosecutors told Judge José M. López they now plan to begin turning over evidence to the defense that they plan to use at trial

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9e74b0-d68d-11e5-be55-2cc3c1e4b76b_story.html

No other arrests have been made in the case, although detectives and prosecutors have said they believed that at least one other suspect might have been involved in the slayings. D.C. police have said they are continuing to investigate the case.

I thought Justice was supposed to be swift?

Yeah, me too! I guess it is probably pretty normal in comparison to other cases. We just want justice now. Seems unfair to the family to have it drag out so long. Once the trial gets underway, I think it will be swift, but then there will be appeals... :sigh: nothing is ever easy is it?

Yeah, me too! I guess it is probably pretty normal in comparison to other cases. We just want justice now. Seems unfair to the family to have it drag out so long. Once the trial gets underway, I think it will be swift, but then there will be appeals... :sigh: nothing is ever easy is it?

Things I'd like to know:
1) The exact time AS called SS to come home
2) Who LE/DA says the idea came from to go after the bank money exclusively and if it was spontaneous after the fact or pre-planned
3) What happened between 10:30 PM and 1:30 PM the day of the fire
4) What happened between 1:30 PM and 5 PM the day of the fire
5) What the purpose of the Wint convoy was as it seems like overkill to have all those vehicles and people just to get money orders

So would we learn new things on May 20th at the hearing?:
No new information was revealed during the brief arraignment, but a hearing was scheduled for May 20. Prosecutors told Judge José M. López that they will now begin giving the defense evidence they plan to use during the trial.

Now that prosecutors are turning over evidence, the defense could file motions to suppress certain evidence. It would be interesting to know what evidence they have. Also, keep in mind that the defense after looking at the evidence could enter into a plea bargain.

No other arrests have been made in the case, although detectives and prosecutors have said they believed that at least one other suspect might have been involved in the slayings. D.C. police have said they are continuing to investigate the case.

I wonder if they have an idea of who that is and if it is one of the names that were swirling around way back when this happened, or if it's a newcomer we've never heard of.

I wonder if they have an idea of who that is and if it is one of the names that were swirling around way back when this happened, or if it's a newcomer we've never heard of.

I've seen zero evidence police has any additional suspects. It's been a long time since the crime, all the DNA evidence should have come back, yet no one else has been arrested. I would say it's not looking good in terms of additional arrests.

Now that the prosecution is hinting that there's a possibility of another suspect, I really believe we're going to see another arrest. I personally don't think JW helped with the slayings, so not him.

I've seen zero evidence police has any additional suspects. It's been a long time since the crime, all the DNA evidence should have come back, yet no one else has been arrested. I would say it's not looking good in terms of additional arrests.

Agree. It's old news they think somebody else was involved but we've already heard the preliminary hearing. That is when the evidence is laid out.

The rest will be merely status hearings without any new information if I understand correctly.

Now that the prosecution is hinting that there's a possibility of another suspect, I really believe we're going to see another arrest. I personally don't think JW helped with the slayings, so not him.

I don't think prosecution is hinting at it now. They have been suggesting from the start that more people were involved because it would be very difficult for one person to kidnap four people and control them for such a long period of time. But nothing came out of it. They haven't arrested anyone else. Doesn't seem like they have any physical evidence against anyone else (all the DNA results should have come back by now).

It seems troubling that after all this time that DW is the only one charged with any connection to this. Apparently not even anyone in the Wint convoy was charged with conspiracy after the fact or anything else.

I really think LE should have reinterviewed all the people that made up that convoy.
And the girl friend person in NYC.
And his direct relatives.

There just has to be more information available from some of these sources.
With the right kind of interview and the best LE people doing the questioning then I think more information is available.

I don't think prosecution is hinting at it now. They have been suggesting from the start that more people were involved because it would be very difficult for one person to kidnap four people and control them for such a long period of time. But nothing came out of it. They haven't arrested anyone else. Doesn't seem like they have any physical evidence against anyone else (all the DNA results should have come back by now).

That's still the unknown: what NEW physical evidence/DNA does the prosecution have that has not been disclosed publicly? I wonder if they do have new DNA results that don't match DW but someone else? If so, who is the person? Maybe that's why the case is still being investigated

That's still the unknown: what NEW physical evidence/DNA does the prosecution have that has not been disclosed publicly? I wonder if they do have new DNA results that don't match DW but someone else? If so, who is the person? Maybe that's why the case is still being investigated

I think there is a lot we don't know and LE might not know either. I find it strange that the ransom was the only thing taken - aside from the car which seemed to have served as a getaway vehicle rather than an item of value - even though there was 3 hours between the ransom delivery (which was in range of what SS asked for, so it's not like SS delivered less than what would have been promised) and the fire and another 3 1/2 hours between the house fire and the car on fire. I thought during this time whoever was involved would have been ransacking the place and hiding their loot somewhere, but since nothing else was taken besides what could fit in someone's pocket, I don't get why all this time elapsed. This would make more sense if the money arrived at 10:30 and quickly was followed by the house fire then the car fire, not hours and hours separating these events without anything being stolen or transported in the meantime to fill up the large time gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golden123