Decorah Iowa Eagles-2012 season

March 2nd I've planned a trip to Decorah and to the fish hatchery and the nest for the kids and I :)

I'll take lots of pics (from far away so i don't disturb)!!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Told my GS last night there are now three.

He asked if I think the smallest one will be a meanie again to his big brother and sister. LOL Little one last year really made an impression on him.

The nest is swaying in the wind today. It makes me dizzy to watch. Mama is tending the eggs and something is calling out which has her attention. Hang in there eagles!

I wrote down the link to the eagles for my GS to put on his computer at his Mommy's house and she had him take it to school. His wonderful teacher lets the class watch for 5 mins at the end of the day and journal what they see. :) He said they get to talk about their thoughts the next morning for a little bit. Wonderful part of the internet. A bunch of 2nd graders hundreds of miles away learning about nature.

Just had to share.

I love this eagle family. They make me happy. When I'm feeling down, I watch them for awhile and it always cheers me up.

Thanks, everyone, for all the updates... I need a dose of the miracles of life today.

I had a visit from my Peregrine Falcon the other day-- gave my windows a few memorable swoops! It's been a year and a half since we battled for supremacy of my second story patio that he decided would make an excellent scrape (nest) for his 2010 breeding season. It was a battle royale that lasted about two weeks, but ultimately, when he stopped by with the Missus she let him know in no uncertain terms that he was CRAZY!! (As in: if you think I'm going to set up housekeeping on some old broad's garden patio, you've got another thing coming! I don't care if it's sheltered, and sunny, south facing, and warm-- not happening!) :giggle:

I suspect they've got a nest nearby somewhere. I'm on the lookout for him, he really enjoys scaring me!! I nearly took to wearing a football helmet and carrying an umbrella every time I left my house a couple of years ago, it was NUTS. He even tracked me INSIDE my house! :D

You know you're being threatened when this is staring at you from your balcony railing!!

http://birdsflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/peregrine-falcon3.jpg

Those darn raptors!

Thanks, everyone, for all the updates... I need a dose of the miracles of life today.

I had a visit from my Peregrine Falcon the other day-- gave my windows a few memorable swoops! It's been a year and a half since we battled for supremacy of my second story patio that he decided would make an excellent scrape (nest) for his 2010 breeding season. It was a battle royale that lasted about two weeks, but ultimately, when he stopped by with the Missus she let him know in no uncertain terms that he was CRAZY!! (As in: if you think I'm going to set up housekeeping on some old broad's garden patio, you've got another thing coming! I don't care if it's sheltered, and sunny, south facing, and warm-- not happening!) :giggle:

I suspect they've got a nest nearby somewhere. I'm on the lookout for him, he really enjoys scaring me!! I nearly took to wearing a football helmet and carrying an umbrella every time I left my house a couple of years ago, it was NUTS. He even tracked me INSIDE my house! :D

You know you're being threatened when this is staring at you from your balcony railing!!

http://birdsflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/peregrine-falcon3.jpg

Those darn raptors!

LOL LOL LOL Red Wing blackbirds are bad for that too!

The wind is really rocking the nest today!

Yay!! I'm so excited!! I'm sad that I missed it though, it's been awhile since I've checked in on these guys. :(

Yay!! I'm so excited!! I'm sad that I missed it though, it's been awhile since I've checked in on these guys. :(

I am excited too. I watch as much as I can and missed both babes hatching. Don't worry, soon hopefully all three will be growing in leaps and bounds. Mom and Dad (GS named them Heddy and Buddy??) are still keeping the last egg warm and the eaglets too. But they grow so fast we will be able to see more and more of them.

Watching those two (soon to be three) heads bobbing around trying to catch a bite is so exciting to see. What great parents and I am so thankful to be able to watch.

I have been watching these three hatchlings today and they will not stay under the parent, they want to keep their heads stuck out. Mom has tried feeding them but they are not hungry! Every once in a while when both parents are in the nest they give each other a look like - whatta we gonna do? A note said they have established their pecking order and the smallest seems to miss out each time. It looks to me like Dad has more patience and finesse when feeding them. What a joy they are.

It's really windy there right now and Mom isn't thrilled.She moved them under her with her beak.Good Mommy.

Can someone tell me how to tell the difference between the Mom and Dad?

It's really windy there right now and Mom isn't thrilled.She moved them under her with her beak.Good Mommy.

Can someone tell me how to tell the difference between the Mom and Dad?

It is easier when they are together - female is larger than the male, her lower jaw extends farther back under her eye, her hair on her hair is longer, she appears to have just grey shadow, he has more distinct dark eyeliner... On the page where I watch if you scroll down there are quite a few answers to questions. The link I had posted didn't come out right

It is easier when they are together - female is larger than the male, her lower jaw extends farther back under her eye, her hair on her hair is longer, she appears to have just grey shadow, he has more distinct dark eyeliner... On the page where I watch if you scroll down there are quite a few answers to questions. The link I had posted didn't come out right

My husband and I were watching them together yesterday and he said that she was the bigger and the meaner one as she pecked him a few times when he was trying to feed that babies...LOL!!!He was so right!

I am so enjoying this.I now have a friend viewing too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back