Demand Change In Vermont Law

Folks, may I say something?

This terrible crime took place in a state I've been proud to call home for my entire life. And every time something like this happens, we become a laughing stock, and I'm sick of it! I'm sick of our do-nothing politicians.

Well, I'm sick of being sick of it! Someone's got to light a fire under them, and I'm just the man to do it.

SuperDave....I am also a native Vermonter and am sick of Vermont catering to the liberal legislators that are currently in power in this state. Let me know if you need a extra hand lighting the fire under the *advertiser censored**es of these people.

SuperDave....I am also a native Vermonter and am sick of Vermont catering to the liberal legislators that are currently in power in this state. Let me know if you need a extra hand lighting the fire under the *advertiser censored**es of these people.

That's the way to do it, Starr58!

Six months! That is definitely NOT long enough!

:mad:
fran

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/RH/20080908/NEWS02/809080371/1003/NEWS02

Convicted molester sentenced to six months in jail

September 8, 2008
BENNINGTON — A Pownal man will serve six months in prison after pleading guilty to lewd and lascivious conduct with a child after a judge rejected an earlier plea agreement on Wednesday because it included no jail time.

Richard J. Beayon II, 43, pleaded guilty to a felony charge of lewd and lascivious conduct with a child and a misdemeanor charge of furnishing alcohol to a minor in Bennington District Court on Wednesday. A second charge of lewd and lascivious conduct with a child was dismissed by the state.

Under a plea agreement Beayon reached with the state, he would have received a sentence of two to four years, but it would all have been suspended. Beayon would have been placed on probation indefinitely and would have been supervised by the Department of Corrections as a sex offender.

.............snip................

Wesley made a reference to the interest generated by the death of Brooke Bennett, whose body was found in Randolph in July. Vermont legislators have taken part in several public forums in the past few weeks to discuss the state's treatment of sex offenders.

"The public at large has a profound concern in these cases as we now know from the ongoing investigation that's going on," he said

Wesley said he could not accept an agreement that didn't include some prison time that he said would be "almost entirely punitive."

Beayon will serve six months in prison and his maximum term under his suspended sentence has been expanded to six years. If Beayon violates the terms of his probation, he could be ordered to serve the entire two to six years in prison.

<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>

Responding to child sexual abuse

Saturday, September 6
The horrific circumstances surrounding the tragic death of Brooke Bennett have shocked and angered Vermonters. Since the announcement by authorities that implicated her uncle, a convicted sex offender, and her former stepfather in her kidnapping and disappearance, the issue of how Vermont deals with sex offenders has come under fire from many quarters.
Senate President Pro Tempore Peter Shumlin has given the Senate Judiciary Committee, which I chair, the responsibility to conduct a thoughtful and thorough review of the state's response to Michel Jacques since he first came into contact with Vermont authorities.

Additionally the committee is asked to review Vermont's sex offender laws, which were strengthened between 2004 and 2007, and how those laws would have impacted Jacques' 1993 sentence had he been sentenced under the new laws. Additionally, the committee is charged with recommending changes to Vermont law and practices, going forward.

<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/ci_10396860?source=most_viewed

Sears: Harsher sentences for sex offenders likely

.....................snip........................

Judge Walter Morris said the courts' approach to sexual offenders has evolved since he assumed a seat on the bench in the 1980s.

"The cases are very complex in terms of evidence at the trial level … and very complex in terms of sentencing," Morris said. "We've come a long way with regard to our understanding of the epidemic of sexual offenses, and how they might fit in our traditional longstanding way of sentencing."

Morris also defended a Department of Corrections that has come under fire in the wake of the Bennett murder. In his experience, Morris said, probation and parole officers have been diligent in keeping the court informed of an offender's lapses.

"I assign significant credibility to the management of offenders in the community by corrections officers," Morris said. "Are there offender behaviors missed by supervising officers? Yes, they're human … But over the years … corrections has gotten far better with communication …"

Morris raised concerns over the manner in which sex offenders are currently discharged from probation. Instituting a more intensive discharge policy, he said, might alleviate those concerns.

"Historically, requests for discharge come in on the same form as a discharge from driving with a suspended license or driving under the influence," Morris said. "It's very brief, skeletal information."

Including a broader history of the offender's treatment regimen, as well as informed assessments of his progress, Morris said, would give judges a better framework in which to make those decisions.

Rob Hofmann, commissioner of the Department of Corrections, said that his staff is conducting an internal review of departmental procedures, a process that began last year but has intensified since the Bennett murder.

<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/RH/20080912/NEWS03/809120331/1004/SPORTS

Everyone can jump on the anti-Vermont bandwagon, but take a look at the entire country -- rape, child abuse, domestic abuse...the laws need to be overhauled from the root to the branch.

Everyone can jump on the anti-Vermont bandwagon, but take a look at the entire country -- rape, child abuse, domestic abuse...the laws need to be overhauled from the root to the branch.

I agree...once these pedophiles are caught and jailed, they should NEVER be let out again. I think the 25 year min sentence is ok for some but what about people who are jailed when they are 20 years old? They are out again at 45, still have a good part of their life to live as a free person and most likely going to re-offend. I like a mandatory life w/out parole sentence for any person who violates a child in any way, no ifs ands or buts about it....I also think their right to a public defender should be waived. I dont care if you live in a cardboard box and dont have a penny to your name. If you molest a child and can't afford your own attorney then I guess you are SOL!

bdmama-

I agree. Why are the right of the offenders held above the rights of an innocent child? Because the child can't/doesn't want to testify against the scum that abused them? Why can't the judiciary branch understand that all these pedophiles know how the system works and use it to their advantage? Would that judge feel differently about the sentencing guidlines if THEIR child had been abused? I think they would.

I have a very non-P.C. method of control for these scum bags. Please don't read any further if you are the wilting flower kind of poster:

Lets find a deserted island waaaaaaayyyy out, no swimming back :)-and round up all the pedophiles, put them on the island-no food, clothing or fresh water, they aren't gonna need it. Next, round up all the die-hard hunters, you know the type, just want the trophy.....no license needed.............no bag limit..............choose your weapon.................GO TO TOWN!!!!!!!!!!! CLEAN THEM ALL UP!!!!!!!! Alternate scenario would be to forgo the hunters and just have "Pedophile Island", the new reality series, where they do each other in with :)laugh:) the "weapon of their choice" and we get to watch from the comfort of our sofas (of course, the censors will save us from the parts we don't want to watch)! :woohoo:

I'm a reasonable woman, you get one chance to prove you either didn't do it, didn't mean to, or will NEVER DO IT AGAIN. Strike two, your off to the island. That might slow 'em down.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Just how I feel. I don't believe they DESERVE prison.

I remember reading about him awhile ago, I wonder how many votes he got, if any.

hey bdmama -- sorry to hear about this.

there's not much one can say and we don't talk much about the impact of these crimes to others much outside the families. it's clear that murders touch many outside the victim's immediate circle and another reason that laws need to reflect the real impact these perpetrators have on day to day life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back