Details About Burke's 1/8/97 Interview

\
That's not how I recall the CO law. I thought the crime could still be considered a murder but the under 10 person couldn't be criminally held responsible. Do I have that wrong? And the GJ clearly put Murder in the First Degree on the table.
You are correct, johnjay. From a previous post about a discussion with an attorney (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...tatutes-relating-to-JonBenet-Ramsey%92s-death) (bbm):

The second possibility of the Grand Jury’s reasoning could be that they felt another third party was responsible for the act which caused her death, and that individual could not be held criminally responsible. However, the Ramsey parents would still be held ultimately responsible. Obviously, we are speaking here about the possibility that their son Burke committed the act which caused his sister’s death. Since at the time of the crime, he was 9 years old, in the eyes of Colorado law he was incapable of forming criminal intent. However, that does not mean that an adult who acts as an accessory cannot be charged. Applicable Annotations from C.R.S. 18-1-801 (Insufficient age) state the following:
Although a child under the age of 10 cannot be charged with an offense, it does not necessarily follow that the child cannot violate the law. In enacting the statute, the general assembly determined those persons who could be held responsible for their criminal acts, not that such persons could not commit the acts. People v. Miller, 830 P.2d 1092, (Colo. App. 1991).

The reference to People v. Miller, 830 P.2d 1092 (http://www.leagle.com/decision/19911...%20v.%20MILLER) was from a case in which a parent appealed her conviction of Contributing the Delinquency of a Minor because the child was too young to be charged with a crime (theft). No doubt you know this case, but I’ll briefly describe it. From that Appeals Court opinion:
Miller first contends that the trial court erred in denying her motion for judgment of acquittal on the charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. She asserts that her eight-year-old son was not charged with theft because a child under the age of ten cannot be charged and convicted of any offense. Section 18-1-801, C.R.S. (1986 Repl.Vol. 8B). Thus, according to Miller, since it was impossible for her son to violate any state law, she cannot be found guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

The Appeals Court’s decision states:
Here, the language of the statute is clear and unambiguous. The General Assembly is concerned with adults who encourage children under eighteen to commit crimes. The statute does not require that the minor be charged or convicted of a crime nor does it require the minor to be over the age of ten.

Further, Miller's reliance on § 18-1-801 is misplaced. Although a child under the age of ten cannot be charged with an offense, it does not necessarily follow that the child cannot violate the law. Rather, in enacting § 18-1-801, the General Assembly determined those persons who could be held responsible for their criminal acts. It did not determine that such persons could not commit the acts themselves. Cf. Thompson v. Oklahoma, 487 U.S. 815, 108 S.Ct. 2687, 101 L.Ed.2d 702 (1988). We therefore conclude that even though Miller's son was only eight years old at the time of her offense, Miller could be found guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

And in C.R.S. 18-6-701 (Contributing to the delinquency of a minor), Annotations, it states:
An adult may be charged with violating this statute regardless of whether the minor was actually charged with or convicted of a crime or whether the minor was old enough to be charged with or convicted of a crime. People v. Miller, 830 P.2d 1092 (Colo. App. 1991).

There may be some confusion over using the word "special" referring to the Ramsey grand jury.

Some jurisdictions always have a "seated" grand jury to hear cases on a regular basis and recommend charges. When it's term is up, another one starts. Other jurisdictions (especially where there is less crime) only impanel a GJ when it is needed. It has investigative powers that even the police department doesn't have. Since it is specially appointed to investigate a particular matter, it is called a "special grand jury." Either type of GJ has the power to "investigate" a possible crime that comes before it. That is how they determine whether or not a crime has been committed and who to charge if it has.

(I'm not a lawyer, and wouldn't admit to it if I were:giggle:. This is simply my understanding from what I've read about it.)

My understanding, typically the grand jury is asked & tasked with determining to indict based on only what's presented by prosecution - handle many different cases ...

The Ramsey grand jury's sole case was JonBenets and they were tasked with evaluating evidence and plugging holes..conducting & directing their own investigation.
I've seen this done with political corruption cases & mob cases in NJ & Philadelphia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There may be some confusion over using the word "special" referring to the Ramsey grand jury.

Some jurisdictions always have a "seated" grand jury to hear cases on a regular basis and recommend charges. When it's term is up, another one starts. Other jurisdictions (especially where there is less crime) only impanel a GJ when it is needed. It has investigative powers that even the police department doesn't have. Since it is specially appointed to investigate a particular matter, it is called a "special grand jury." Either type of GJ has the power to "investigate" a possible crime that comes before it. That is how they determine whether or not a crime has been committed and who to charge if it has.

(I'm not a lawyer, and wouldn't admit to it if I were:giggle:. This is simply my understanding from what I've read about it.)

My understanding, typically the grand jury is asked & tasked with determining to indict based on only what's presented by prosecution - handle many different cases ...

The Ramsey grand jury's sole case was JonBenets and they were tasked with evaluating evidence and plugging holes..conducting & directing their own investigation.
I've seen this done with political corruption cases & mob cases in NJ & Philadelphia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is very helpful, thank you both!

To clarify, I have served on a grand jury, and although it was not special in any sense of the word, we did have investigative powers and we excercised them frequently! I'd love to know more about how the powers and responsibilities differ between a standard GJ and a special one. I'm going to see if I can learn more -- thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

I skipped through some of the craziness of the 2004 posts... But excellent info in this thread, BlueCrab really was ahead of his time. I may have read this before and forgotten but it seems Social Services was involved with Burke before Jonbenet was murdered according to the Bonita Papers if I read this correctly? So stuff was known and serious beforehand if that was the case. Unless Social Services was involved for another type of reason, perhaps involving the parents?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

otg - I have been trying to say the same thing about the 'infant' status. The 'infant' can commit the crime, the crime was committed, it is simply that the 'infant' will not be prosecuted. So many have argued with me and I certainly appreciate your research into the case law regarding same.

This is how the parents were charged with assisting in covering up the crime. Some think that because he was 9, there was no crime.

But excellent info in this thread, BlueCrab really was ahead of his time.
Not really. No offense to BlueCrab. BDI theories date back to the early years of the case....they have just evolved over time. The main BDI theory in those days was him strangling her to death with his Nintendo controller cord. Now its bludgeoning her during a snack.

The only difference in his/her BDI theory is their belief in another child's involvement and the use of a stun gun.

otg - I have been trying to say the same thing about the 'infant' status. The 'infant' can commit the crime, the crime was committed, it is simply that the 'infant' will not be prosecuted. So many have argued with me and I certainly appreciate your research into the case law regarding same.

This is how the parents were charged with assisting in covering up the crime. Some think that because he was 9, there was no crime.
Exactly, TeaTime. I realize it's a difficult concept to grasp that a crime can be committed by a child, but at the same time the child who committed it can't be considered a suspect in the crime -- even though an adult who assists can be charged. As contradictory as that seems, that is what the Colorado laws state. I'm glad to know you understand that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back