Details about Josh's childhood revealed in his parents divorce documents

I agree that the entire family cannot be painted with the same brush, but also wondered if you can link me to something that says he was a proven abuser? I thought we didn't know yet for sure and were still speculating on it.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/susan-powell-family-friends-unite-husband/story?id=9857963#.TzLSlJjN7zI

Read about the signs of a domestic abuser and then read about what Susan's friends stated about Josh. He was very, very controlling and emotionally abusive.

Uh....holding a butcher knife towards someone is not a veiled threat. Did the mom minimize this direct threat because it was required to deny/hide all of the many warped behaviors that occurred in Steven Powell's home?

Josh was very evil and was a product of Steven's home. The societal values that Steven taught his children to scorn caused an enormous amount of evil. If Josh's siblings ever truthfully discuss their life with Steven, I fear we will find that it was extremely perverse.

BBM
I find it extremely telling that one of JP sisters has defended Susan. IMO she appeared very hostile towards her dad. (I dont have a link at the moment)

And by the sound of things, I'll bet this kind of training is what was going on in that house for Susan's two little boys. The way they are described when first arriving at the Cox's house showed something dark was going on since the kids ran away, wanted no physical contact, could not look at their mother's picture, could not call her "mommy" - only "Susan". These past few months with the Cox's must have felt like heaven to them. The sparkle came back into their eyes. THey were safe and loved. I love what Chuck Cox said about Charlie saying to him "Can you take a picture of me next to this picture (Susan's photo)? I'm sitting by my mommy." That melted his heart. He knew they were going to be ok then.

May SP NEVER get out of prison and certainly never be near a child ever again.

This is one of those very few cases where I hold the parent as much to blame as the son. Josh may have had choices as an adult but SP ensured which sort of choices he would make by the way he raised him from a little boy.

You have some genetics behind it but its pretty rare for a child to grow up with normal values when raised in a completely toxic environment. His sister did but i can't remember, didn't she go with mom too?

Well, yeah, they could have, if parents, society, court system/LE, had ANY cajones at all. My kids would have run rampant over me, IF I had allowed it, but the minute one of them (like Josh allegedly did) used a knife to somewhat threaten, he would have been having it for dinner, and his father along with him.

When a family is divided on how to raise children, chaos developes, and it seems murderers do to,

MOO

The fact that as a child, Josh was willing to use a knife to threaten/ or intimidate his mother, speaks volumes to me....

I'm not an expert but not all children of abusers become abusers themselves so I think it is wrong and unjustified to paint all of the Powell siblings with one brush just because Josh was not only an abuser but a murderer.

I'm not saying his siblings are abusers but clearly there is something wrong with the entire family. They don't think there is anything wrong with possessing child *advertiser censored*. That to me indicates there is something off with these individuals. And to have so many generations of Powell's messed up indicates that perhaps this gene pool needs to end.

BBM
I find it extremely telling that one of JP sisters has defended Susan. IMO she appeared very hostile towards her dad. (I dont have a link at the moment)

Not only did she defend Susan but obviously the Cox family had grown to love and trust Stevens sister/husband(Kirk) tremendously... In one of the latest articles(after Sundays tragedy) featuring Susan's parents they specifically stated that their long term goal was for Steven to be arrested and therefore out of the boys lives and that the Coxes at that point would have the boys adopted and raised by Stevens sister/husband... That spoke volumes to me on where Stevens sister stood and obviously was genuine as the Cox family had every intention of her and her husband to be who would raise the boys..

*wanted to make sure and specify this was not the sister, Alina who defends Steven but rather the other sister whose husband's name is Kirk...

I'm not saying his siblings are abusers but clearly there is something wrong with the entire family. They don't think there is anything wrong with possessing child *advertiser censored*. That to me indicates there is something off with these individuals. And to have so many generations of Powell's messed up indicates that perhaps this gene pool needs to end.

As horrible a thought it is, I'm wondering if it was a "family affair", an open household. I hate to think that, but it seems SP laid the rules of the universe out and those rules were quite "free". I hope I am thinking wrongly. If you are raised one way, it is all you know as normal. Scary.

Respectfully, BBM.

I believe we, as a society, will have to find another way to solve these ills. Any type of eugenics programs will not be the answer.

I knew I'd read these documents online before and found the link that was provided here back in 2009, but it doesn't appear to work anymore? :waitasec:

That is the link to the court dockets. You have to go to the search page and type in a name. The link timed out. I have not followed this case as close as you have but I looked for a thread on the subject of Josh's childhood and did not see one plus the report said these are newly obtained documents. Has the info. contained in the Powell's divorce documents been reported on earlier in the case? In most cases one has to request and pay for filed court documents and transcripts of court proceedings at the courthouse-they are not readily available online.

That is the link to the court dockets. You have to go to the search page and type in a name. The link timed out. I have not followed this case as close as you have but I looked for a thread on the subject of Josh's childhood and did not see one plus the report said these are newly obtained documents. Has the info. contained in the Powell's divorce documents been reported on earlier in the case? In most cases one has to request and pay for filed court documents and transcripts of court proceedings at the courthouse-they are not readily available online.

Thanks twall! I'm glad you weighed in because I know you're excellent at looking up docs,.

I remember reading them way back when and I can't remember but it seemed like it was here. But, I can't recall how complete they were. When I get more time, I'll dig around in the threads again and see if I can find anything.

I believe the boys aunt that was strong behind the boys being out of Josh's control is named J. Bless her and her husbands heart for being who these boys needed them to be. They were doing the right thing.
It is strange to me how she rose above the Powell raising of her father and the others and is normal.
God Bless them.

MOO

BBM

This. When Steve was doing interviews about how Susan interacted with him on a sexual level and she was such a sexual person,my skin literally crawled. Josh's sister distancing herself from he and steve and her suport of Susan, everything fell into place for me. I had never seen the divorce info before today but even before Steve was busted for the *advertiser censored*, while watching Steve's slimy interview, I strongly suspected sexual abuse in the Powell family during Josh and his siblings childhood.

Respectfully, BBM.

I believe we, as a society, will have to find another way to solve these ills. Any type of eugenics programs will not be the answer.

I'm not suggesting that as a society we limit their ability to recreate their twisted family dynamic. I just think, personally, it's a a gene pool that is toxic and as such should in the basic sense of ceasing to recreate twisted individuals should cease to continue. If I happened to be someone who married into that family I would run, not walk away. You don't have just one set of generation of Powells disturbed you have multiple. And at some point these individuals are beyond any help by society, Josh Powell being one of them.

Basically to summarize. You have a mother who has witnessed her younger child threaten her with a butcher knife but still years later states in a affidavit to the Court that this same child is a loving father (even though you're aware his wife disappeared two years ago under suspicious circumstances).

You have a father that did his best to alienate all of his children from their mother and demanded that custody remained with him.

That same father was later arrested on child *advertiser censored* charges and went on national television to proclaim that his missing and presumed dead daughter in law liked to and frequently interacted with him in sexual ways (because she's like that). Ok then ....

Josh's brother liked to walk around the house with no clothes on (in front of young children) and often opened the door to vistors completely naked.

You have one sister that sees nothing wrong with possessing child *advertiser censored* and sees her brother as a victim in this case, despite knowing that her brother hatcheted his children before burning them alive.

Something says we have people here that are beyond any sort of hope. The only hope being that no more people die as a result of this twisted group.

Josh's sister, JG and her husband are the ones who have worked with the Cox family throughout all of this.

Josh's sister, Jennifer Graves and her husband are the ones who have worked with the Cox family throughout all of this.

Correct.

And then there's one other sister, Alina I believe. And then one brother. So in all that makes 4 children that Steven Powell has fathered?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but my God every time I come back on Websleuths in the past 2 or 3 days and see that picture of those two darling boys, tears just start flowing like crazy and it takes me several deep breaths before I can read the newest comments and news.

Yellow Rose I can assure you most of us have tears still streaming down our face.

Can't believe it happened. OMG.

I knew I'd read these documents online before and found the link that was provided here back in 2009, but it doesn't appear to work anymore? :waitasec:

I read the possibilities for not being able to pull up the info....: too many people trying to pull up this info. is one of the possibilities?

Correct.

And then there's one other sister, Alina I believe. And then one brother. So in all that makes 4 children that Steven Powell has fathered?

2 sisters, Josh, 2 brothers.

AP, JG, Josh MP, JP I think. Don't want to put names here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back