DISTRICT ATTORNEY ELECTION-Durham Co

I stopped by Freda Black's site today and there was a very interesting post by someone that knew Raven in the past. Very interesting website.

This electio n seems to be drawing a lot of attention, I'm still of the opinion that whomever wins, they best have the best and the brightest on staff and they need to make sure there is Justice for Janet and her unborn child.

We're almost at 11 months. My heart breaks for the family and friends of Janet, yet the loathing I feel for Raven has gotten so much stronger.

Where is Justice?

One Stop Voting begins Thursday, 04/13/06 at 9:00 AM NCGS l63-227.2(b)

Absentee ballot approval Meetings Tuesday, 04/11/06 at 5:00 PM NCGS 163-230.1(c1) Tuesday, 04/18/06 at 5:00 PM
Tuesday, 04/25/06 at 5:00 PM
Tuesday, 05/02/06 at 5:00 PM

Absentee application requests by mail must be received at BOE Tuesday, 04/25/06 by 5:00 PM NCGS 163-230.1 (a)

Absentee Ballots available for 2nd Primary "As quickly as possible after the ballot information has been determined." NCGS 163-227.3(b)

Registration books close for Election "There shall be no registration of voters between the dates of the first and second primaries." NCGS 163-82.6(c 1, 2 & 3)

One Stop voting begins As soon as practicable NCGS 163-227.2(b)

Absentee Applications by mail must be received at BOE Tuesday, 05/23/06 by 5:00 PM NCGS 163-230.1(a)

One stop voting ends Saturday, 05/27/06 at 1:00 PM NCGS 163-227.2(b)

Absentee ballots must be received at BOE Monday, 05/29/06 by 5:00 NCGS 163-231(b)

Date of 2nd Primary & School Board Election (IF NECESSARY) Tuesday, 05/30/06 6:30 AM until 7:30 PM NCGS 163-111(e)

Board approves Provisional Ballots Friday, 06/02/06 at 1:30 NCGS 163-166.11(5)

Official Canvass Tuesday, 06/06/06 at 11:00 AM NCGS 163-182.5(b)

Certificates of Nomination/Election Monday, 06/12/06 NCGS 163-182.15 GENERAL ELECTION Advertisement of Election & One Stop Saturday, 09/23/06 NCGS 163-33(8) Saturday, 09/30/06
Saturday, 10/07/06
Wednesday, 10/11/06

Absentee Ballots available for Election Monday, 09/18/06 NCGS 163-227.3(a)

Registration books close for Election Friday, 10/13/06 by 5:00PM NCGS 163-82.6 (c 1,2 & 3)

One Stop voting begins at BOE Thursday, 10/19/06 at 9AM NCGS 163-227.2

Absentee ballot approval meetings Tuesday, 10/17/06 at 5:00PM NCGS 163-230.1(c) Tuesday, 10/24/06 at 5:00PM
Tuesday, 10/31/06 at 5:00PM
Tuesday, 11/07/06 at 5:00PM Absentee Applications by mail must be received at BOE Tuesday, 10/31/06 by 5:00PM NCGS 163-230.1(a)

One Stop voting ends Saturday, 11/04/06 at 1:00PM NCGS 163-227.2(b)

Absentee ballots must be received at BOE Monday, 11/06/06 by 5:00PM NCGS 163-231(b)

Date of Election Tuesdsay, 11/07/06 6:30 AM until 7:30PM NCGS 163-1(b)

Board approves Provisional Ballots Thursday, 11/14/06 at 1:30 NCGS 163-11(5)

Official Canvass Friday, 11/17/06 at 11:00AM NCGS 163-182.5(b)

Certificates of Election Thursday, 11/23/06 NCGS 163-182.15

One Stop Voting ends Saturday, 04/29/06 at 1:00 PM NCGS 163-227.2(b)

Absentee ballots must be received at BOE Monday, 05/01/06 by 5:00 PM NCGS 163-231(b)

Date of Partisan Primaries & School Board Election Tuesday, 05/02/06 6:30 AM - 7:30 PM NCGS 163-1(b)

Board approves Provisional Ballots Friday, 05/05/06 at 1:30 NCGS 163-166.11(5)

Official Canvass Tuesday, 05/09/06 at 11:00 AM NCGS 163-182.5(b)

Certificates of Nomination/Election
NCGS 163-182.15 Monday, 05/15/06

If you can understand all that - then lol.......at me.

Basically the Primary is being held in May.

Depending on WHO wins the Primary, Nifong, Black or Bishop....they will then go unopposed in the election in November.

We will know in May who the next DA will be and that winner will then take office in November.

As you may have heard, there is a currently a very high profile investigation underway in Durham - allegations of a gang rape possibly involving some members of the Duke University (located in Durham) lacrosse team. While I don't belittle the importance of this on-going investigation in any way, when I sit back, watch the news, read the newspapers, etc., with regards to this investigation - it somehow just infuriates me with regards to Janet’s murder.

Over the past week, I have watched the local DA, Mike Nifong, give countless interviews - locally on television and with newspapers, nationally ranging from the Dan Abrams report, to CNN, to the evening national news broadcasts, to interviews in national newspapers, on and on and on - and in each interview, there is Mike Nifong, front and center - talking about the investigation, how there will be arrests, that he will prosecute the case personally, and even going so far as rushing DNA samples (LE took DNA samples from the players of the team...those samples went to the state crime lab this past Monday, March 27...and with a direct request from Nifong, the results are expected as early as the end of THIS WEEK, or, EARLY NEXT WEEK).......

I see the passion on Nifong's face as he talks about this investigation. I see the tangible passion as he rushes the processing of DNA samples. I see the DA, Nifong, in every single media outlet interview, NOT the police spokesperson mind you, but the DA himself. I see daily the release of information - warrants, statements, 911 calls.

And I think of April 25, 2005. Nearly one year ago.

To my knowledge, the DA has never given a public interview about Janet's murder.

To my knowledge, the DAs office has never contacted local or national media to talk about Janet's murder.

We heard for so long that there was forensic testing being done. DNA results take time. On and on. Was Janet's murder not worthy of the DA pushing for speedy results?

The passion with which Nifong seems to be dedicating himself to this current investigation is admirable...and a passion I would hope the DA's office would bring to each and every case it sees; but, it's obvious that that's not how it works, at least in the Durham DA's office. Perhaps I'm just idealistic to think that ANY crime, against ANY person is dealt with in the same manner. But, it makes me wonder - - -

- if Janet had been a high profile citizen of Durham, would we still be waiting for an arrest one year later?

- if Janet's murder had somehow been more 'sensational', would we still be waiting for an arrest one year later?

- if for whatever reason the DA's office had focused national attention on Janet's murder, would we still be waiting for an arrest one year later?

Perhaps I'm just cynical. Maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges. But to me, when it comes to crime, investigations, etc., and especially within the DA's office, all the fruit in the bowl should be the same, when it comes to priorities, focus, dedication, and passion. Then again, to express even more cynicism, let's not forget, the DA is up for election in a couple of months....

Whomever wins this election has some serious work to do. I'm weary of the term "back-burner"; I'm weary of wondering how 'status' can and does impact the dedication towards one case versus another; I'm especially weary of the phrase "high profile." And again, being idealistic, this MUST change. A crime involving ANY citizen, whether a homeless person, a typical everyday citizen, or the most well known local figure should be treated the SAME - with passion, with dedication, with dignity, and, with respect.

When I see the Durham DA interviewed on the national evening news, regarding Janet's murder, then I'll feel like this system is making progress!

SES...we have missed your long informative posts:)

All kidding aside, great post SES. And I wholeheartedly believe the answer to your question is NO!, we would not be waiting for an arrest if this case was high profile.
I have also seen his interviews and it makes me sick. He is more concerned about the image of Durham then actually solving the crimes. Listening to him makes me want to :sick: .

I don't know if we would still be waiting for an arrest if this were a high profile case. I'd be nervous that they would be pressured into making an arrest that the evidence cannot support in a court of law. The last thing I want is for the perp to stand trial and be found not guilty simply because all of the evidence is circumstantial and they can explain it all with some odd scenario. What is DNA going to prove...that Raven was there? We know that. While I would love to see a speedy arrest, I trust that the LE knows what they are doing by waiting for Raven to slip up before they make arrest. The case has to be able to stick in a court of law.

RainbowsAndGumdrops said:
I don't know if we would still be waiting for an arrest if this were a high profile case. I'd be nervous that they would be pressured into making an arrest that the evidence cannot support in a court of law. The last thing I want is for the perp to stand trial and be found not guilty simply because all of the evidence is circumstantial and they can explain it all with some odd scenario. What is DNA going to prove...that Raven was there? We know that. While I would love to see a speedy arrest, I trust that the LE knows what they are doing by waiting for Raven to slip up before they make arrest. The case has to be able to stick in a court of law.
Unfortunately R&G, I don't think that this case is ever going to be anything other than a parade of circumstancial evidence. Unless, Raven gets a conscience and confesses---right! Don't make me laugh.

It is pretty sorry that Nifong is going for a high-profile, slam dunk rather than helping a child put his mommy's murder behind bars.

..exactly jenifred..

..( in fact, i wondered what the noise was when i 1st clicked your post--------------oh right, the entire board laughing at the thought of raven confessing..)

..it does give me pleasure though, to know that raven has not had a decent night's sleep in almost a year............or rather, "the murderer", if in fact it was raven......

..if so..raven.....
...do you sleep at night ? was she begging for mercy as you stabbed her to death ?
...or did you sneak up from behind like a coward and she was unaware ? did she plead with you to spare kaiden ?
...do you ever think about the baby that you also killed that night ? a new little brother for kaiden ? wonder if the baby would have looked like him ?
...were all of your problems solved with that bloody act? or are you sad that you had to ditch one of your knives instead ?

..i wonder.........will you attend the vigil ? i can't imagine that the victim's husband of all people would not.........i'm sure media will be present, and LE, no time like a year later to start getting some press for justice..

..you do know that you're going to have to clear your conscience to ever get some peace right ? i'd get on that .......

[QUOTE..."snipped"...=SouthEastSleuth]As you may have heard, there is a currently a very high profile investigation underway in Durham - allegations of a gang rape possibly involving some members of the Duke University (located in Durham) lacrosse team. While I don't belittle the importance of this on-going investigation in any way, when I sit back, watch the news, read the newspapers, etc., with regards to this investigation - it somehow just infuriates me with regards to Janet’s murder.
QUOTE]

..SES............although i believe in the entirety of your post...............i'm commenting on the above........

..i live a considerable distance from durham........about 2200 miles, to the north-west, in canada................and YET-------the top news story on MY local evening news was the 'alleged gang rape/lacrosse team' story, from durham nc.

..had i not happened by ws on the day janet's murder was being discussed, almost a year ago! i doubt that i ever would have heard of it........

..i do hope that the vigil in april will wake up these wanna be DA's --- the murder of janet deserves justice------------would they let their sister/daughter/relative lie in a grave for a year while nothing was done ???? i doubt it..

..of course they can still redeem themselves, by using the ....." a year ago today"........angle.................and then actually doing something!

With all this talk about Raven being at the vigil (which I personally don't think will happen), I wonder if he does show up will Julian Mack be there to field questions posed to the Rave? Kind of like what he did upon exiting the courtroom last time.

OOOh Jenifred, reminds me of another song...Raven loves the Limelight!

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Living on a lighted stage
Approaches the unreal

For those who think and feel
In touch with some reality
Beyond the gilded cage

Cast in this unlikely role,
Ill-equipped to act
With insufficient tact
One must put up barriers
To keep oneself intact

Living in the limelight
The universal dream
For those who wish to seem

Those who wish to be
Must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination
The real relation
The underlying theme

Living in a fisheye lens
Caught in the camera eye
I have no heart to lie

I can’t pretend a stranger
Is a long-awaited friend

All the world’s indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another’s audience
Outside the gilded cage:behindbar

Since I do not live in North Carolina, but on the West Coast, I really have no interest in who wins the DA's office, I'm more interested in Justice for Janet and still believe whoever wins, they need to just do a good job when it comes time to prosecute this murderer.

District Attorney Nifong and Keith Bishop do not have a Message Board for discussion, so I went to Freda Black's message board to read and there is post after post regarding the Next New Top National News Story and my heart breaks for the family of Janet.

I posted there, because I believe DA Nifong and Bishop probably keep up with Freda Black's Message Board. Again, DA Election means nothing to me, but I got ticked off (no not me lol)

I don't know if any of these people running for DA will be at the Vigil or if they were even invited, but I thought I would share with you what I posted entitled "Where is the Cry for Justice Here!"

Once again, another TOP NATIONAL NEWS STORY overshadows Janet Marie Christiansen Abaroa and her unborn Child's Murder which happened on April 26, 2005 in her Durham, North Carolina Home.
When Janet was brutally murdered in her Durham home, the TOP NATIONAL NEWS STORY was Jennifer "Run Away Bride" Wilbanks. Now, the one year anniversary of this brutal murder is approaching and the family and friends of Janet are hosting a Candlelight Vigil on April 29, 2006 at the Durham Marriott At the Civic Center in "The Plaza" in conjunction with National Victims' Rights Week and it will be overshadowed once again over another top National News Story.

Rape is a horrible thing, and I think LE and DA need to get to the bottom of this and I am in no way, minimizing the events that happened at Duke. However, I am so disheartened that most of the citizens of Durham, and the State of North Carolina can walk into almost any store, any business, talk to your neighbors and say Janet Abaroa, Janet Christiansen, Janet and her unborn child's murder, and people will give you a stare and say WHO'S JANET.

Janet was a Mother to 6 month Kaiden, who lay in his crib in the next room while his sweet, beautiful, loving Mother was stabbed to death in her home. Janet Marie was a Daughter, Sister, Aunt and friend. Janet was an All-Star Soccer Player on her way to fullfilling her goal which was to be a SOCIAL WORKER.

Where is the outcry for Justice on this? Where is the Media? Where are the citizens of Durham, North Carolina? Why are you all not screaming for Justice for this girl with her loving ways, her kind heart, her gentle soul? She wanted to be a Social Worker, she wanted to give back to the Citizens of Durham, Citizens of North Carolina and Citizens of the United States.

If any of you want to help bring attention to a this brutal crime, and let the citizens and government in NC know that Janet deserves Justice please come to the Candlelight Vigil on April 29, 2006 at 7:00 pm at the Marriott Civic Center "The Plaza" which is being held in conjunction with the Department of Justices Office for Victims of Crimes and Light a Candle for Janet and her unborn Child and Light a Candle for Justice for Victims Everywhere!

Please visit http://tearsforjanet.com and check out "news" for more information regarding the Vigil.

Godspeed Justice

caffeinatd said:
I saw this in the online Herald Sun today, wonder if he is looking into Janet's case? Here is the link http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-719618.html

Maybe we should email /call him and Nifong to have him start investigating it.
It's wonderful!

If you look back through all our threads here, we talked about the amount of staff and the need for more investigators on the staff a while ago and I know I did some letter writing and I think others did too.

Maybe we are starting to be heard.

I will be writing this investigator myself and fed ex it out to him personally Monday.

Wow, I can not believe the number of people that have responded to the WS posts. Maybe this will now get the case some attention, I have a feeling that Nifong supporters watch her web and report back, maybe tomorrow morning he can redirect his focus!

Living in Durham, it is interesting that much hasn't been heard from Nifong, the current DA, until this whole Duke Lacrosse situation and even then, people don't seem to be satisfied. Thinking back to the past, it seems that Jim Hardin was a vocal prosecutor involved in the community. Freda Black seems quite similar to Hardin in her community involvement--I would assume she would be an activist--for the community as well as victim's rights. There seems to be a lot of local support for her in this District Attorney campaign. Possibly a vocal DA will make a difference in this case, but I wonder if the holdup is based on forensics. How much information is sitting around waiting in a lab?

caffeinatd said:
I saw this in the online Herald Sun today, wonder if he is looking into Janet's case? Here is the link http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-719618.html

Maybe we should email /call him and Nifong to have him start investigating it.
.wow........."snip"..

"DURHAM -- For the first time in two decades, the Durham District Attorney's Office has a genuine investigator to find witnesses to crime, interview them and otherwise ferret out information that prosecutors need to build cases.

He is Linwood Wilson, a former policeman and private eye with decades of experience. Wilson was retired until District Attorney Mike Nifong hired him in December to help run a worthless-check program. Now Wilson spends more time investigating homicides, rapes and robberies than he does chasing bad-check writers. "

..although i'm thrilled to read that durham NOW has someone TO investigate, (if he's given the assignment.)..........i'm shocked that prior to dec.2005, :...........
"For a time after the last investigator died, such work was placed in the hands of junior assistant prosecutors, who did it on the side as part of their on-the-job training. And in recent years, the slot has been filled by a woman whose duties are more secretarial than investigative in nature. "

..no wonder this case has been dragging........LE is over worked, the DA's office is over worked..........( as seems to be the case all over..)
..hopefully this new investigator will get on it----------and we'll see an arrest and conviction SOON.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33954&page=1&pp=25&highlight=unsolved

I am sure many of you rememeber the discussion we had regarding the "2005 Unsolved Crimes" article that came out see above link and a snipped below.

terminatrixator said:
13 unsolved along with previous unsolved murders from the year before, the year before that and so on probably dating back 20 years or more. Divide all those between 8 detectives, and there is a reason for more hiring more detectives right there.
I had called Raleigh's Homicide Unit and others in the surrounding area and Raleightsratio of Homicide Detectives are much greater, especially since Raleigh is the capital. For all we know some of those 13 "unsolved" may have been solved by now, but I do not know the figures.

I explained that that once a new homicide takes place all Homicide investigators band together and work it for for an estimated amount of time (not sure how long) then that particular homicide gets appointed to a "lead homicide detective" then the other's, including that "Lead Detective" go back to their case load, which includes cold-cases that date back probably over 20 years along with their previous case load.

I really believe that most Homicide Divisions are understaffed across the nation, they need more people that work just on the "cold cases" or to help on some of the easier case loads so Lead Detectives could work their case loads more efficiently.

My opinion is that all Homicide Divisions should have a special investigator that helps out with certain things like that and I think many do. Maybe he can help out, that would be awesome I really am looking forward to Justice in 2006!

IMO, it doesn't help to wait 10 months before getting specific information to the public asking for assistance.:slap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back