Dixie Chicks win five Grammys

Nova said:
I made a joke on this thread last night and it's been bothering me. I flippantly responded to southcitymom's reference to a "fence" between gay and straight by saying the fence in my case was more like a maximum-security wall.

I only meant to say I'm plenty gay and the online crush she was joking about was a safe one.

I did NOT mean to suggest I need armed guards (even metaphorical ones) between me and any woman, most especially not southcitymom. I HATE the stereotype that gay men find women objectionable and I don't want to play to that, even in jest.

There. We can probably file this under "Entirely Unnecessary Posts."
Nova,

For what it's worth, I "got" your post! And you're right - you are safe, which is what my initial online crush post was trying to get at as well.

The only "stereotype" you fit is that of a kind, witty, intelligent gentleman. I appreciate your sensitivity to how your words might come across to others because one of my ongoing challenges in life is to understand and realize the power of my own language. I was born with a tendency to shoot (from the lips) first, and then ask questions (ie. undo the damage) later.

I've made great strides in this regard but still have miles to go before I sleep! I think it's fitting that a thread about the power of words and reactions to them (in this case, The Dixie Chicks's words) would include this aside. Everything comes full circle eventually!:blowkiss:

Ang50 said:
I think they seemed genuinely surprised by the reaction. Hubby and I differ on why it was so strong - he thinks it was b/c the comment was made overseas, and seemed disloyal. I think it was that they just made easy scapegoats - country fans were already mad over Toby Keith's treatment in the rest of the media over his *warmongering* song, and then the Chicks said this about Bush.

I think it was more of an off the cuff remark that blew out of proportion. Oh - and I think their publicist screwed up BIG TIME w/ how it was all handled. BIG TIME - it's their job to get the story spun or buried or whatever, and that didn't happen.

You're probably right. The Chicks wouldn't be the only ones surprised by the madness of the past few years. I know I'm continually agog.

southcitymom said:
Nova,

For what it's worth, I "got" your post! And you're right - you are safe, which is what my initial online crush post was trying to get at as well.

The only "stereotype" you fit is that of a kind, witty, intelligent gentleman. I appreciate your sensitivity to how your words might come across to others because one of my ongoing challenges in life is to understand and realize the power of my own language. I was born with a tendency to shoot (from the lips) first, and then ask questions (ie. undo the damage) later.

I've made great strides in this regards but still have miles to go before I sleep! I think it's fitting that a post about the power of words and reactions to them (in this case, The Dixie Chicks's words) would include this aside. Everything comes full circle eventually!:blowkiss:

You know I'm a sucker for brains, regardless of the sex. Maybe that crush isn't so safe. :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back