Do Not Post Copyrighted Pictures.

If not you it would have just been someone else here. :angel:

And it was, several people posted it or posted combined images from other news sources. I personally created composite images using it too. So it definitely included several of us.

I agree with the angle that it's advertising and probably fair use but if they are sending scare tactic notices out like that, there is no choice but to take them down to get them to shut up. Does seem like overkill on their part however!

Oh yes, if anyone can handle this, the folks at PPL can. They are stinkin incredible.

Not to mention, most of the time, things like this aren't pursued. They send the warning, picture goes away and then all the mean little legal people go away. As long as no body crosses the line again for a while, we should be all good.

Oh yes, if anyone can handle this, the folks at PPL can. They are stinkin incredible.

Not to mention, most of the time, things like this aren't pursued. They send the warning, picture goes away and then all the mean little legal people go away. As long as no body crosses the line again for a while, we should be all good.

sad thing is people is a reputable magazine, its not the globe or enquirer. thats why i was excited when i heard it had a photo of jaycee......i thought right off the bat they were authorized. didnt realize we'd stir up a storm because of it though.

sad thing is people is a reputable magazine, its not the globe or enquirer. thats why i was excited when i heard it had a photo of jaycee......i thought right off the bat they were authorized. didnt realize we'd stir up a storm because of it though.

I think that People is authorized to use them, but on the flip side of that, Jaycee sold them the rights to take and use those photos, since they paid for them AND it seems they took them, they are 100% the property of People and it's parent company.
So they are authorized, just not for us to post or alter. We can look, we can link, we just can't post and Photoshop.

(If I understand the law, but I am not a lawyer, and I'm not well versed in corporate or copyright laws and restrictions of use.)

I think that People is authorized to use them, but on the flip side of that, Jaycee sold them the rights to take and use those photos, since they paid for them AND it seems they took them, they are 100% the property of People and it's parent company.
So they are authorized, just not for us to post or alter. We can look, we can link, we just can't post and Photoshop.

(If I understand the law, but I am not a lawyer, and I'm not well versed in corporate or copyright laws and restrictions of use.)

i know. what i meant was the people who were posting the cover were all well intentioned. it wasnt meant to harm PEOPLE.

Wow. I don't normally buy People, but, after reading the other thread had decided to buy it this week. However, after reading about the demand to Tricia, I will not be purchasing it.

I was going to purchase my first People magazine of my life (sorry, Time/Warner, but I don't really give two chits about any of the Kardashians), but now I have to rethink my plan.

(Can we sue for all of the media outlets that have been using the work that we have done here and claiming it as a scoop?)

I was going to purchase my first People magazine of my life (sorry, Time/Warner, but I don't really give two chits about any of the Kardashians), but now I have to rethink my plan.

(Can we sue for all of the media outlets that have been using the work that we have done here and claiming it as a scoop?)

i will still buy the magazine because im not holding it against jaycee or her family.
i wonder if people would be nice enough to take the fine they want to levy and donate the money to jaycee's fund.

please wait till friday to go and buy it lol
its not on sale till then ;0)
this stinks about the copyright but oh well. i have the today article on faves........

Sheesh!!! I woke up Monday thinking it was Friday and have been doing that all week.:crazy:

Sure makes for one long week.......

Please Do Not upload pictures of Magazine Covers. It is a copyright violation.

Because the People Magazine cover was posted on this thread Time Inc. is now demading 15 hundred dollars.

Please, I am begging, be very careful about copyrights.

You can link to a website that has the pictures legally but that is it.

Posting copyrighted pictures is just like putting a whole story in your post.

COPY RIGHT QUESTION, not regarding pictures....or cover page of a magazine.

If we provide a link to a story,
Often times they do become archived after some time.
To avoide losing the info....
CAN WE... copy & past the article? or must we always give the link only?
Based on what I know it is public domain...
But What does this site think?

Sheesh!!! I woke up Monday thinking it was Friday and have been doing that all week.:crazy:

Sure makes for one long week.......

turns out i was able to pick it up this morning. so you might have it where you are.

The rules are the rules and if Tricia says no posting magazine covers, that's the answer for this board.

But, a company cannot just demand money damages for posting a widely available and attributed to People Magazine photograph of a cover. For all we know Momtective watched Nancy Grace online, took a screenshot of the people cover, and posted it here. It's not copyright infringement since it has People's name across the cover.

If we somehow got the original picture that People put on the cover, THEN its a copyright violation. But its fair use to fully attribute people magazine and discuss its cover. FYI

Also, if it was a serious request, a company like Time would send a cease and desist letter and tell you to remove it. It wouldn't demand money damages. Posting the cover did NOT cause Time any damages - in fact, it advertised for them.

turns out i was able to pick it up this morning. so you might have it where you are.
I wasn't:(, when I asked the clerk at the market if they had the latest issue of People, she handed me the one with Elizabeth Smart on the cover. Said they will change them tomorrow...
I'm jealous.

I wasn't:(, when I asked the clerk at the market if they had the latest issue of People, she handed me the one with Elizabeth Smart on the cover. Said they will change them tomorrow...
I'm jealous.

you should have chained yourself to the rack and screamed 'hell no i wont go!" :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back