Dogs Shoot Hunter by stepping on gun

Thank goodness our great ancestors didn't mind hunting. If they didn't hunt we wouldn't be here to talk about this today. Mcdonalds burger= dead cow, outback steak=dead cow, venison=dead deer. I'd just assume have something shot in the wild fed from nature as I would something fed growth horomones and slaughtered. Many people have been fed from hunters.

I grew up with a mom that pointed to a fish in the window of the store and said "Make it not look like a fish" and the butcher would go away and come back with white squares.

I am thankful for those who can take the life of something adorable and turn it into chili for me.

IMO some hunting is good, if it is for food. But when some go out to just kill things for fun, NO WAY! Do ya'll know there are places that raise deer to be people friendly, they put them INSIDE a fence for hunters. Deers by nature are scared of humans, but these are raised to feel like humans are good. These deers will walk right up to the hunters and the hunters will shot them. IMO that is so wrong in many ways. quote]

People who do this aren't hunters. I can't type what they are, I'd get into trouble!! Personally, I can't hunt. But everyone I've ever known who does eats whatever they kill. I can't say anything about that since I eat meat.

Can't fish either. If I see the fish come out of the water, I cannot eat it. I sit at the other end of the boat and read.

I thought that story was hilarious. I mean, what are the chances of that happening?? Very remote, I would think. But maybe he will reconsider about hunting. It is unnecessary in this day and age.

I'm a hunter & I'm proud to be one. Be nice & I'll give you the "JimmyBurger" recipe. The neighbors look forward to that coming the next BBQ season.

There is so much more.
I'd love to have your JimmyBurger recipe! I make a killer deer chili. (Pun intended)

I grew up in a county where it wasn't unusual to see teenagers toting their rifles, walking down the road, and heading out to the woods after school. (I live in the city now where people would be running for cover and the kid would be lucky to make it a block before someone shot him.)

People planned their year around hunting seasons (Men hunt and women go on gambling junkets then shop!). Deer camp was considered off limits to most women. This was male bonding, drinking, and vacation time. You are correct about the drinking tho. It is done after dark and before dawn. There were only two incidents I can recall growing up which involved hunters and guns...the hunters were sober when those happened.

My family didn't hunt, but you learn to respect the men who go out and bring back enough meat to not only feed their family...but give it to the less fortunate. I know many families that were subsidized by hunters and their generosity.

As far as the stupid guy who left a loaded gun around so his dog could shoot him...he was just lucky the dog didn't have a good bead on him.

My former in-laws grew up in the midwest in hunting families. Loaded guns carelessly left lying around are the main reasons for hunting accidents and fatalities. My m-in-l's father was accidentally killed when she was a child- a loaded gun went off in the truck on the way home from a hunt.

"In Darien, as in most towns, hunting is only permitted at dawn or at dusk.

The animals killed during the cull are sent to a butcher and the venison is donated to food shelters. Last year, 350 pounds of venison were donated, Haydock said.

Haydock and Darien's health Director Peggy McLaughlin said it's too early to know if the hunting has had an effect on the town's deer population or cases of Lyme disease.

"We haven't had the data in hand to see a decline. But we do know from other data that if you can eliminate the deer, you can see a near elimination in the cases of Lyme disease," McLaughlin said. "We have a long way to go obviously."

Lyme disease is a bacterial infection passed to humans from ticks that affects the nervous system. The ticks rely on deer blood to live and a deer can carry up to 1,000 ticks, the DEP said.

Overabundance of deer also affects the state's ecological system, as deer feed on plants and vegetation that typically provide food and shelter for smaller animals and birds. The average deer eats 5 to 10 pounds of food - grass, flowers, shrubbery - every day the DEP said."...

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-sa-deer4oct19,0,4563411.story

As much as we'd like to forget this fact, we are human 'animals' that are also a part of the ecological life-chain.

The article above is from Darien, Conn., but the deer overpopulation problem affects all rural states. I'm originally from South Dakota where deer overpopulation is a constant worry. When deer are too abundant, they destroy crops (yes... this includes fruits & vegetables eaten by our vegetarian friends) and spread disease. They also ruin habitats for smaller animals and in a particularly bad winter, will seek forage in the backyards of people's homes causing traffic accidents on the road.

Their natural predators, wolves & large cats, have been eliminated in many areas (and yes...I realize that humans have done this), but knowing that does not fix the problem. For a healthy deer population to survive, they need to be culled. The effects of NOT hunting would be devastating.

Total deer population in the U.S:
(Year 2005) 296,410,404
(Year 2004) 293,655,404
(Year 2003) 290,809,777
(Year 2000) 281,421,906
(year 1990) 248,709,873
(Year 1950) 151,325,798

Hunter here! Sadistic? How about enjoying that gentleman being shot, that is sadistic. I was a Firefighter/E.M.T. for 10 years so being sadistic is not in this hunter's thoughts.

Ahh..The "liquored up" fable. None of the people I hunt with drinks in the field, none of my friends do, I'll be honest, I don't know anybody that does. They do when they come in from the field & stop at the local watering hole. I have hunted for 40 years & have heard of just a few hunting accidents. None by liquor. Ask your state police, how many people killed by DUI & how many by "liquored up" hunters.

We don't "hunt for fun". We do enjoy the hunt. Very big difference. Being outdoors & in the fields with your friends & fellow hunters is very enjoyable. Hunting with my two sons is one of my best times of the year. Being around the camp fire & telling stories (lies) is never better than when you are hunting. Note that I didn't mention "killing" anything yet. Yes, we do kill deer & other wild game. We just are not red eyed drooling while we are doing it. That's what most non-hunters think the "sport" of hunting is. You have never been so wrong.

Let us chat about $$$$. Do you know how large an industry that caters to hunters & other sportsmen really is? $30 billion & 1,000,000 jobs. Let's play make believe & all hunting, shooting, etc. are now banned. How do you plan on helping the economy & workers recover from a huge hit like that? Hunters and fishermen fund nearly 75% of the annual income for all 50 state conservation agencies. Through license fees and excise taxes on arms and gear, sportsmen contribute $200 million per year for wildlife conservation. (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service) That is going to make enjoying the outdoors by non-hunters basicly nonexistant. No state parks, no camping, no backpacking, cycling, rock climbing, etc. & so on.

Ask the next farmer you see about the overpopulation of deer & what it means to them from the crop damage deer create. Ask any insurance agent what they think about hunting & the overpopulation of deer. Check with them on how bad the deer versus vehicle costs keep rising every year. Maybe if you're lucky & they will pay for a firearm. Basically, hunters are the best conservation tools that all state's Department of Natural Resources have. Hunters have been and continue to be among the foremost supporters of sound wildlife management and conservation practices in the United States.

I'm a hunter & I'm proud to be one. Be nice & I'll give you the "JimmyBurger" recipe. The neighbors look forward to that coming the next BBQ season.

There is so much more.

Just wanted to say I thought this was an excellent, and well thought-out post. I don't hunt myself, but my friend does. He's the hunter. I'm the cook. He'll bring over a nice amount of venison steak every year and I cook it up on the grill 20 different ways. I love it!

Did he not have a safety on the gun, or was to stupid to use it?

I think maybe the dog was tired of being fed dry food so he took the law in his own paws!!!!!!!!!!:dance:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oceandreamer753
Back